Have The Videos Given You Pause?

I'm a liberal guy who has.....since I was a teenager....known that our criminal justice system doesn't deliver justice in a fair and equitable manner. Still.....I never thought that most or even a significant number of police shootings were things that needed to be more vigorously questioned. When I heard of a police shooting, my first reaction was that it was a good shoot.

I've got several law enforcement professionals in my family...including my son....and I know for a fact that the the profession is not rife with vile racists and bigots.

However, since we have so much caught on video these days...and we see that unarmed men are being shot or killed by law enforcement officers, I've learned to wait for evidence before making the judgment. I am now aware that the odds of a bad shoot are much higher than I ever imagined.

I wonder if any other USMB members have undergone a similar change in thought?

I have yet to see anyone shot while complying with police instructions. Cops have families to go home to also.

It is amazing how a certain population thinks that disobeying lawfull orders by LEOs is a good thing to do.

Doing that, being belligerent with cops is just cool with young people, especially the stupid ones.

Not even video recordings make them accept that blacks aren't just making it up. The police and media has convinced everyone that videos aren't to be trusted in cases where cops shoot someone....all other videos are trustworthy.

And waiting for an investigation that results in a 98% chance of walking is saying "hey, you have a whole 2% chance of getting justice. Let the fair system work."

That's like betting your home on the Eagles winning the Superbowl. Lol
Now that DOJ is doing investigations when there are serious questions, don't you have any hope that the investigations will be more trustworthy?

No, not when the system hasn't changed. Am I'm not just saying that...I'll bet anyone there will be no indictment
In which case? That cop in Oklahoma will be handing in her badge, I'm pretty sure.
Yeah, and like Ferguson, a good cop loses their career for doing the right thing and the message sent to every cop - don't protect yourself.

Not even video recordings make them accept that blacks aren't just making it up. The police and media has convinced everyone that videos aren't to be trusted in cases where cops shoot someone....all other videos are trustworthy.

And waiting for an investigation that results in a 98% chance of walking is saying "hey, you have a whole 2% chance of getting justice. Let the fair system work."

Now that DOJ is doing investigations when there are serious questions, don't you have any hope that the investigations will be more trustworthy?

No, not when the system hasn't changed. Am I'm not just saying that...I'll bet anyone there will be no indictment
In which case? That cop in Oklahoma will be handing in her badge, I'm pretty sure.
Yeah, and like Ferguson, a good cop loses their career for doing the right thing and the message sent to every cop - don't protect yourself.
IMO, she's not a good cop and I'm glad she won't be in a position to kill any more civilians, if that's what happens. She may be a fine person, but you are about the ONLY person I've heard say that she was a good cop.

I'm a liberal guy who has.....since I was a teenager....known that our criminal justice system doesn't deliver justice in a fair and equitable manner. Still.....I never thought that most or even a significant number of police shootings were things that needed to be more vigorously questioned. When I heard of a police shooting, my first reaction was that it was a good shoot.

I've got several law enforcement professionals in my family...including my son....and I know for a fact that the the profession is not rife with vile racists and bigots.

However, since we have so much caught on video these days...and we see that unarmed men are being shot or killed by law enforcement officers, I've learned to wait for evidence before making the judgment. I am now aware that the odds of a bad shoot are much higher than I ever imagined.

I have yet to see anyone shot while complying with police instructions. Cops have families to go home to also.
Being an unarmed asshole is NOT a capital offense in this country. Look it up.

IMO, she's not a good cop and I'm glad she won't be in a position to kill any more civilians, if that's what happens. She may be a fine person, but you are about the ONLY person I've heard say that she was a good cop.
If he was trying to get back into his car where they believed he had a bomb, it was a good shooting. BOTH officers shot at the same time, so BOTH felt threatened at his actions at the same time.

image.jpeg

Damn, you regressive have an uncanny ability to ignore the facts. Why don't you get yourself stopped, be uncooperative and ignorant with the officer, then start reaching for something in your car out of the officers line of sight and see what happens. Better yet, put yourself in the officers place.

Being a deranged man with a bomb IS a capital offense.

Here's a better answer. We have a lot of dumb laws... that most of us agreed should be laws.

False.

Most of the established laws were not determined by popular consensus.

These laws weren't imposed by a dictator,t hey were imposed by elected officials trying to please a majority of their constituents.

Interestingly naive that you believe the state is run by the people

Can you give us an example of laws that are unjust, cruel or wicked?

All of them.

Because I promise you, most laws, you ask people, 'Yeah, that sounds reasonable."

Since when have most people been reasonable?

In fact, most people are submissive sheep that do not possess the capacity for reason or independent thought.

So essentially, you can't give me an example of a law that is unreasonable, other than spewing Libertarian Talking points.

Here's a better answer. We have a lot of dumb laws... that most of us agreed should be laws.

False.

Most of the established laws were not determined by popular consensus.

These laws weren't imposed by a dictator,t hey were imposed by elected officials trying to please a majority of their constituents.

Interestingly naive that you believe the state is run by the people

Can you give us an example of laws that are unjust, cruel or wicked?

All of them.

Because I promise you, most laws, you ask people, 'Yeah, that sounds reasonable."

Since when have most people been reasonable?

In fact, most people are submissive sheep that do not possess the capacity for reason or independent thought.

So essentially, you can't give me an example of a law that is unreasonable, other than spewing Libertarian Talking points.
Here's one law. Let me know if you are in full compliance.
image.jpeg

How many new laws were created or changed at the Federal and State levels in 2015? Care to take a guess?

Most cops are good, but it only takes a small percentage of bad ones to destroy the trust that cops and citizens need for our system to work. Instead of becoming more militant and confrontational, they should police their own to bring some sanity back into the situation.
A lot of cops seem to need better training. That OK cop panicked, although why I don't know. It isn't necessarily about race as much as losing control. Or the perception of losing control.

It's a complex problem. I don't know if it is caused by individual cops, or by the system. AlI know is that it needs to be fixed.

Most cops are good, but it only takes a small percentage of bad ones to destroy the trust that cops and citizens need for our system to work. Instead of becoming more militant and confrontational, they should police their own to bring some sanity back into the situation.

Do you think federalizing the police is the only answer?

A lot of cops seem to need better training. That OK cop panicked, although why I don't know. It isn't necessarily about race as much as losing control. Or the perception of losing control.

It's a complex problem. I don't know if it is caused by individual cops, or by the system. AlI know is that it needs to be fixed.
What we need is a larger more powerful government since the government is killing innocents.

Some families in Waco don't think so.

Based on an anecdotal argument on a few random videos. No wonder you cede your freedom so freely with that low a standard

Some families in Waco don't think so.

It IS the end game for all this shit.

Based on an anecdotal argument on a few random videos. No wonder you cede your freedom so freely with that low a standard

That was an odd response unless you actually think there is no problem. Either way, the subject has nothing to do with my freedom. Care to explain what you actually mean, and what it has to do with police killing people?

That was an odd response unless you actually think there is no problem. Either way, the subject has nothing to do with my freedom. Care to explain what you actually mean, and what it has to do with police killing people?

It depends in that what you mean by "problem."

This is a country with over a million police. If by problem you mean does any cop ever commit a crime? Then sure, we do.

I don't interpret "problem" that way. I view 'problem' given that we're discussing national politics to be there is systematic corruption in a significant portion of the country. I'm not saying there is not. I'm not aware of one. But all you're doing is watching a few videos, some not conclusive, and concluding we do.

That is what I am challenging. Democrats don't rise above the ability to observe the obvious and move on to actual discussion, ever

Forum List

Back