🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Have we become a nation of demagogues?

Demagogues pit groups against each other, and that is what Democrat politicians do all of the time.
Black vs White
Young vs Old
Urban vs Suburban
Female vs Male
Poor vs Rich
Gay vs Christian
It is what identity politics is all about.

th

So you're one of those who believes....

1. That all mature willing companions have the right to form a marriage union as they choose?

2. That because it looks evil those guns are going out and killing people in gun free zones and that banning those guns will stop it?

3. That people can break US law and stay here even though they came here illegally?

....I have more questions but we'll start with those for you to answer.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

1. Yes, if the person is of the age of consent, and both parties are willing to enter into a marriage, they should be allowed to do so.

2. I have no problem with what kind of weapon you own, I do have a problem with having the ability to throw 30 rounds or more downrange before reloading. Firepower like that is only required in a combat zone.

3. If you are referring to adults who came to this country illegally? Deport them when they are caught. If you are talking about the DACA kids who didn't come here of their own choice, and have lived here almost all their lives? I think they should be afforded a path to citizenship. Either serve 4 years in the military honorably, or get a degree in a job that we need here in the US, or serve 4 years in the Peace Corps. That way, they are showing that they want to be here and will benefit this country.

Quick question for you.......................how do you feel about the veteran who was deported just a little while ago who had served 2 tours in Afghanistan serving this country? He served, got out, had PTSD and was arrested for drugs, and was then deported. Is that right?

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico - CNN

You say you have a problem with people having weapons only appropriate to a combat zone, but the whole reason why they have them is in case their neighborhood becomes a combat zone (whether due to a foreign invader, or a tyrannical domestic power). So unless you are claiming this is an impossibility, despite it happening innumerable times throughout history, how do you justify your objection?

Really? You do know we have a military to prevent that, right? When was the last time America was invaded by a foreign power? If I remember correctly, it was back in the early 1800's.

And, how exactly do you see the US becoming a tyrannical domestic power? How would that happen?

First, it helps to start off with the actual definition of the word, so that people who may be unfamiliar with it will know what it is and what it means.........................................

the definition of demagogue

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
verb (used with object), demagogued, demagoguing.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
verb (used without object), demagogued, demagoguing.
4. to speak or act like a demagogue.

Okay, there it is................we all know what the definition of a demagogue is.

Have you people noticed that there are a lot of posters on here who instead of using facts and actual things happening, they instead prefer to offer up opinion, emotional language and insults?

Me? I prefer to discuss things with people who use facts, logic and reason instead of emotion, rhetoric and opinion. Even if you disagree with me, if you use facts and reason, you have a much better chance of convincing me that your side is right. And, I might even learn something new in the process and will be grateful to you for the instruction.

But you will never convince me of anything if you only use insults and opinion instead of fact.

Interestingly enough, it appears that more conservatives are demagogues than their liberal counterparts, because they appear to be more prejudiced.

Are we all demagogues?

Well in a recent poll 29 out of 30 Hitlers think so.

I always enjoy telling my liberal friends, "Trump is Hitler!"

"So give him your guns!"

They have no sense of humor.

First, it helps to start off with the actual definition of the word, so that people who may be unfamiliar with it will know what it is and what it means.........................................

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

Okay, there it is................we all know what the definition of a demagogue is.

Have you people noticed that there are a lot of posters on here who instead of using facts and actual things happening, they instead prefer to offer up opinion, emotional language and insults?

Me? I prefer to discuss things with people who use facts, logic and reason instead of emotion, rhetoric and opinion. Even if you disagree with me, if you use facts and reason, you have a much better chance of convincing me that your side is right. And, I might even learn something new in the process and will be grateful to you for the instruction.

But you will never convince me of anything if you only use insults and opinion instead of fact.

Interestingly enough, it appears that more conservatives are demagogues than their liberal counterparts, because they appear to be more prejudiced.

You were doing fine up until that last sentence.

Look at the way most of the conservatives post, and then compare that to the way that the liberals post. I said that it looks that way because there is more emotional language and prejudice in conservative posts. Most of the right wing types on here use insults and emotional language, but don't really want to provide links or proof of their position. You ask them for links, and either they say they won't do the work for you, or they say that everyone knows it, or they respond with some type of insult and tell you that is part of the liberal playbook to ask for links and then run away.
ABS read some post by the very liberal Trump the Mad King....disagree with him and you get hit with all kinds of colorful metaphors.....Tiger is one of the most racist posters here and dean is not very tolerant of those who have the gall and audacity to disagree with him.....and there are more.....

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Have we become a site of semi-literates where the OP feels compelled to supply a definition of "demagogue"?

The reason I provided the definition at the beginning of the thread is because yeah, there are people on here who don't know what the definition is. I've seen them use it wrong several times before because they didn't know what it meant, it was just a cool sounding word to them apparently.

pedant
noun ped·ant \ ˈpe-dᵊnt \
Popularity: Top 10% of words |Updated on: 6 Mar 2017
Definition of pedant
: a male schoolteacher
: one who makes a show of knowledge: one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge: a formalist or precisionist in teaching

Nope, not a pedant. Never been a school teacher, and I'm not showing off my knowledge. If I was showing off, I would have used the word without providing the definition.

But, just to make sure that everyone was on the same page, I provided the definition to help out those who may not have heard the word before.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Look at the way most of the conservatives post, and then compare that to the way that the liberals post. I said that it looks that way because there is more emotional language and prejudice in conservative posts. Most of the right wing types on here use insults and emotional language, but don't really want to provide links or proof of their position. You ask them for links, and either they say they won't do the work for you, or they say that everyone knows it, or they respond with some type of insult and tell you that is part of the liberal playbook to ask for links and then run away.
ABS read some post by the very liberal Trump the Mad King....disagree with him and you get hit with all kinds of colorful metaphors.....Tiger is one of the most racist posters here and dean is not very tolerant of those who have the gall and audacity to disagree with him.....and there are more.....

It seems that for some posters on here, this is a place to snicker and agree with those who are politically identical to you, while throwing insults and snarky remarks to anyone who might see things differently.

Spleen venting for them I guess.

But, there are other posters on here, who I may not agree with all of the time, I still enjoy their posts and appreciate their views. Why? Because they are providing concrete reasons for their views. Stuff like that I can appreciate and possibly learn from.

One of the people in my life that taught me the most about how to be a decent human being was radically different from me in political views. But, we were smart enough to know how to disagree without being disagreeable.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

From what I've seen since I started coming here, it's exactly opposite of what you have said.

The left are usually quick to insult, and they use emotions in most arguments. The left usually uses things like "the right wants to kill children", or, "The right wants old people to be sick" or "The right doesn't care about this or that".

Those are all arguments based on emotion, trying to affect the emotions of others.

From all of the talk radio I've listened to, the conservatives are the ones who boast freedom, self reliance, and keeping government out of people's lives and letting people reach as far as they can. Not once have I heard hannity, beck, Limbaugh, wilkow, or levin say any of the things the left claims, or even heard them elude to it.

From my perspective, the left argue from a position of emotion, and the right argues from a position of constitutionality, and logic.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

From what I've seen since I started coming here, it's exactly opposite of what you have said.

The left are usually quick to insult, and they use emotions in most arguments. The left usually uses things like "the right wants to kill children", or, "The right wants old people to be sick" or "The right doesn't care about this or that".

Those are all arguments based on emotion, trying to affect the emotions of others.

From all of the talk radio I've listened to, the conservatives are the ones who boast freedom, self reliance, and keeping government out of people's lives and letting people reach as far as they can. Not once have I heard hannity, beck, Limbaugh, wilkow, or levin say any of the things the left claims, or even heard them elude to it.

From my perspective, the left argue from a position of emotion, and the right argues from a position of constitutionality, and logic.

Ever read what Sassy Irish Lass posts? How about some of the other right wingers on here?

Alex Jones (who most Trump supporters appear to like), is nothing BUT a demagogue. He pumps his website with fear inducing articles and generally very little in the information department, but really heavy in the emotional department. Check out InfoWars sometime. They are a definite conservative news source.

th

1. That all mature willing companions have the right to form a marriage union as they choose?

2. That because it looks evil those guns are going out and killing people in gun free zones and that banning those guns will stop it?

3. That people can break US law and stay here even though they came here illegally?

*****CHUCKLE*****

1. Yes, if the person is of the age of consent, and both parties are willing to enter into a marriage, they should be allowed to do so.

2. I have no problem with what kind of weapon you own, I do have a problem with having the ability to throw 30 rounds or more downrange before reloading. Firepower like that is only required in a combat zone.

3. If you are referring to adults who came to this country illegally? Deport them when they are caught. If you are talking about the DACA kids who didn't come here of their own choice, and have lived here almost all their lives? I think they should be afforded a path to citizenship. Either serve 4 years in the military honorably, or get a degree in a job that we need here in the US, or serve 4 years in the Peace Corps. That way, they are showing that they want to be here and will benefit this country.

Quick question for you.......................how do you feel about the veteran who was deported just a little while ago who had served 2 tours in Afghanistan serving this country? He served, got out, had PTSD and was arrested for drugs, and was then deported. Is that right?

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico - CNN

You say you have a problem with people having weapons only appropriate to a combat zone, but the whole reason why they have them is in case their neighborhood becomes a combat zone (whether due to a foreign invader, or a tyrannical domestic power). So unless you are claiming this is an impossibility, despite it happening innumerable times throughout history, how do you justify your objection?

Really? You do know we have a military to prevent that, right? When was the last time America was invaded by a foreign power? If I remember correctly, it was back in the early 1800's.

And, how exactly do you see the US becoming a tyrannical domestic power? How would that happen?
Let them take the guns, and you'll find out

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

There are some leftists here who can't even deal with facts. They need safe spaces and trigger warnings even for slightly inconvenient facts. If someone brings up that there are two genders it's all over for them.

So given that this is the climate many people are brought up in, there is no hope but to be a demagogue to get anywhere.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

You didn't answer my question. In what kind of scenario do you see the US government becoming a tyrannical power? How would something like that occur in your estimation?

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

There are some leftists here who can't even deal with facts. They need safe spaces and trigger warnings even for slightly inconvenient facts. If someone brings up that there are two genders it's all over for them.

So given that this is the climate many people are brought up in, there is no hope but to be a demagogue to get anywhere.

That is the very thing that people like Washington, Hamilton and Lincoln warned about.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Ever read what Sassy Irish Lass posts? How about some of the other right wingers on here?

Alex Jones (who most Trump supporters appear to like), is nothing BUT a demagogue. He pumps his website with fear inducing articles and generally very little in the information department, but really heavy in the emotional department. Check out InfoWars sometime. They are a definite conservative news source.
I'm sure there are some conservatives that fit the description you give, and there ate some liberals as well. You can't lump everyone together.

Most of the right wing I've seen want people to advance, and become prosperous, but do so on their own, and by keeping government out of their lives.

Also, Alex jones may hold some conservative values, but I wouldn't associate him as a conservative. Most people on the right know that he is a fear mongerer.

It is unfortunate that there are a few bad apples on this forum that give the right a bad name. They are all, from what I've seen, good people who just want to abide by the constitution and allow people to be free.

pedant
noun ped·ant \ ˈpe-dᵊnt \
Popularity: Top 10% of words |Updated on: 6 Mar 2017
Definition of pedant
: a male schoolteacher
: one who makes a show of knowledge: one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge: a formalist or precisionist in teaching

Nope, not a pedant. Never been a school teacher, and I'm not showing off my knowledge. If I was showing off, I would have used the word without providing the definition.

But, just to make sure that everyone was on the same page, I provided the definition to help out those who may not have heard the word before.
th

And yet here you are proving your prejudice against a variety of mature willing companions.

*****CHUCKLE*****

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

I'm sure there are some conservatives that fit the description you give, and there ate some liberals as well. You can't lump everyone together.

Most of the right wing I've seen want people to advance, and become prosperous, but do so on their own, and by keeping government out of their lives.

Also, Alex jones may hold some conservative values, but I wouldn't associate him as a conservative. Most people on the right know that he is a fear mongerer.

It is unfortunate that there are a few bad apples on this forum that give the right a bad name. They are all, from what I've seen, good people who just want to abide by the constitution and allow people to be free.

Listen to the conservative politicians sometime. They use fear as a way to sell you on the wall and spending. Matter of fact, fear is why the spending bill was passed. They didn't want the government to shut down, so they passed a huge bill with a lot of excess stuff in it that didn't need to be there. A good for instance is the part of the bill that keeps minor league baseball players as "seasonal workers" who only get 1,100/mo, even though they show up for games and practice around 60 hours a week. They aren't even making minimum wage.

So tell me, what does pay for the minor league baseball players have to do with the spending bill of this country? Quick answer, nothing. But, the lobbyists for the MLB got them to include it in this one so they could save money.

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

You didn't answer my question. In what kind of scenario do you see the US government becoming a tyrannical power? How would something like that occur in your estimation?
I feel as though our government would like to have much more power, the ability to create a sort of dictatorship. If you look back in history, you see how these things happened, and history tends to repeat itself.

Also, it's not hard to see that we are in a soft dictatorship already. The government already pretty much has total control over your life. All the laws they pass, all the taxes they levy against us. Do you really believe you have freedom?

Look no further that the federal reserve act to understand that we are almost at that point, the only deterrence we have are 330 million guns. Remove them and the rest if your liberties will fall.

And yes, before you say it, that does sound like a conspiracy theory, but there is a lot of merit to the argument.

Listen to the conservative politicians sometime. They use fear as a way to sell you on the wall and spending. Matter of fact, fear is why the spending bill was passed. They didn't want the government to shut down, so they passed a huge bill with a lot of excess stuff in it that didn't need to be there. A good for instance is the part of the bill that keeps minor league baseball players as "seasonal workers" who only get 1,100/mo, even though they show up for games and practice around 60 hours a week. They aren't even making minimum wage.

So tell me, what does pay for the minor league baseball players have to do with the spending bill of this country? Quick answer, nothing. But, the lobbyists for the MLB got them to include it in this one so they could save money.

th

You mean like progressive Democrats who scream another person is a bigot and racist if they oppose allowing illegal foreign nationals to stay?

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

I agree. I think they should shut the government down. I'm tired of them kicking the can down the road. If it were up to me, I'd throw every single one of them out if office and start over. I don't believe any of them are worthy if the office they hold.

And I also believe that lobbying should be against the law. No business should be able to influence votes. That's the job of the people.

Listen to the conservative politicians sometime. They use fear

What politician does not use fear? It's part of the persuasion.

I agree. I think they should shut the government down. I'm tired of them kicking the can down the road. If it were up to me, I'd throw every single one of them out if office and start over. I don't believe any of them are worthy if the office they hold.

And I also believe that lobbying should be against the law. No business should be able to influence votes. That's the job of the people.

Who's "they"?

I agree concerning lobbyists. They are one step below lawyers, who are one step below horse thieves.

Forum List

Back