🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Have we become a nation of demagogues?

First, it helps to start off with the actual definition of the word, so that people who may be unfamiliar with it will know what it is and what it means.........................................

the definition of demagogue

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
verb (used with object), demagogued, demagoguing.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
verb (used without object), demagogued, demagoguing.
4. to speak or act like a demagogue.

Okay, there it is................we all know what the definition of a demagogue is.

Have you people noticed that there are a lot of posters on here who instead of using facts and actual things happening, they instead prefer to offer up opinion, emotional language and insults?

Me? I prefer to discuss things with people who use facts, logic and reason instead of emotion, rhetoric and opinion. Even if you disagree with me, if you use facts and reason, you have a much better chance of convincing me that your side is right. And, I might even learn something new in the process and will be grateful to you for the instruction.

But you will never convince me of anything if you only use insults and opinion instead of fact.

Interestingly enough, it appears that more conservatives are demagogues than their liberal counterparts, because they appear to be more prejudiced.
Have we become a site of semi-literates where the OP feels compelled to supply a definition of "demagogue"?

First, it helps to start off with the actual definition of the word, so that people who may be unfamiliar with it will know what it is and what it means.........................................

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

Okay, there it is................we all know what the definition of a demagogue is.

Have you people noticed that there are a lot of posters on here who instead of using facts and actual things happening, they instead prefer to offer up opinion, emotional language and insults?

Me? I prefer to discuss things with people who use facts, logic and reason instead of emotion, rhetoric and opinion. Even if you disagree with me, if you use facts and reason, you have a much better chance of convincing me that your side is right. And, I might even learn something new in the process and will be grateful to you for the instruction.

But you will never convince me of anything if you only use insults and opinion instead of fact.

Interestingly enough, it appears that more conservatives are demagogues than their liberal counterparts, because they appear to be more prejudiced.

You talk smack about using facts and logic and reason,

and end with a completely unsupported slur at your enemies.

Ironically, that was very irrational of you, on several levels.

1. It is unsupported by facts.

2. You claim to prefer reasoned debate, yet open up with insulting nearly half of the people who might respond.

3. You claim to be open to being convinced by others, yet you hold to a premise that your enemies are "more prejudiced". It is not credible that you are really open to dialog from conservatives.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Have we become a site of semi-literates where the OP feels compelled to supply a definition of "demagogue"?

The reason I provided the definition at the beginning of the thread is because yeah, there are people on here who don't know what the definition is. I've seen them use it wrong several times before because they didn't know what it meant, it was just a cool sounding word to them apparently.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

2. You claim to prefer reasoned debate, yet open up with insulting nearly half of the people who might respond.

3. You claim to be open to being convinced by others, yet you hold to a premise that your enemies are "more prejudiced". It is not credible that you are really open to dialog from conservatives.

I said it appears that way because of the way a lot of people use insults, prejudicial statements about others, and really emotional language. Especially when they are defending Trump.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

I said it appears that way because of the way a lot of people use insults, prejudicial statements about others, and really emotional language. Especially when they are defending Trump.

I found it pretty insulting that you accused conservatives of being more prejudiced.

THat type of bs makes me angry.

Tell me how you want reasoned debate again.

Is it too late for you to edit out the partisan smears from your op?

If you do, I'm completely willing to go back and start over.

Close relatives should not be allowed to marry because of the high incidence of birth defects that happens when people intermarry in their own family.

You agreed that all mature willing companions should have the right to choose how they wish to live...

Why are you so interested in what other mature adults do in their bedrooms?

It's none of your business if they choose to take the chance of passing on some defect... If it were then you should be demanding laws be passed to prevent people with diabetes, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, etc, etc, etc,... from marrying also.

I have no problem with polygamy though. If you are rich enough to be able to support several women and their children at the same time and don't abuse them in doing so, sure. Why not allow multiple partners in a marriage? I mean, many great men in the Bible had multiple wives.

Since we're on the subject of allowing mature companions being allowed to do what they choose and you're having issues with one of those groupings of mature companions..... Why can't the little old lady with her mature seeing-eye canine down the street marry the companion who she loves? How about that farmer who loves his combine? They're allowing people to form unions with robots, anime characters, and animals, in other countries. Why isn't that allowed here if all concerned parties desire such a union?

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

I found it pretty insulting that you accused conservatives of being more prejudiced.

Have you seen the way a lot of the conservative posters on here talk about minorities? Especially blacks and Hispanics. The conservatives are blaming all the shootings and crime on blacks, and then they are saying that all Mexicans are evil people who are also lazy.

How about the way conservatives are talking about Hogg? Ingram made her statement yesterday morning about him, and there were a whole bunch of threads on here tearing him down. Me? I think a 4.1 GPA is pretty freaking good, even if he didn't make it into some of the colleges he applied to.

But no, that didn't stop conservatives on here from parroting Ingram's points on here.

Close relatives should not be allowed to marry because of the high incidence of birth defects that happens when people intermarry in their own family.

You agreed that all mature willing companions should have the right to choose how they wish to live...

Why are you so interested in what other mature adults do in their bedrooms?

It's none of your business if they choose to take the chance of passing on some defect... If it were then you should be demanding laws be passed to prevent people with diabetes, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, etc, etc, etc,... from marrying also.

I have no problem with polygamy though. If you are rich enough to be able to support several women and their children at the same time and don't abuse them in doing so, sure. Why not allow multiple partners in a marriage? I mean, many great men in the Bible had multiple wives.

Since we're on the subject of allowing mature companions being allowed to do what they choose and you're having issues with one of those groupings of mature companions..... Why can't the little old lady with her mature canine down the street marry the companion who she loves? How about that farmer who loves his combine? They're allowing people to form unions with robots, anime characters, and animals, in other countries. Why isn't that allowed here if all concerned parties desire such a union?

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

Quick question. How would either the dog or the tractor be able to give consent to being married?

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

The reason I provided the definition at the beginning of the thread is because yeah, there are people on here who don't know what the definition is. I've seen them use it wrong several times before because they didn't know what it meant, it was just a cool sounding word to them apparently.

pedant
noun ped·ant \ ˈpe-dᵊnt \
Popularity: Top 10% of words |Updated on: 6 Mar 2017
Definition of pedant
: a male schoolteacher
: one who makes a show of knowledge: one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge: a formalist or precisionist in teaching

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Have you seen the way a lot of the conservative posters on here talk about minorities? Especially blacks and Hispanics. The conservatives are blaming all the shootings and crime on blacks, and then they are saying that all Mexicans are evil people who are also lazy.

How about the way conservatives are talking about Hogg? Ingram made her statement yesterday morning about him, and there were a whole bunch of threads on here tearing him down. Me? I think a 4.1 GPA is pretty freaking good, even if he didn't make it into some of the colleges he applied to.

But no, that didn't stop conservatives on here from parroting Ingram's points on here.

What I see mostly is conservatives discussing issues that touch on race, such as crime or immigration, and being called racists by liberals for no valid reason.

That's demagoguery of the highest order.

I've never seen a conservatives blame "all the shootings and crimes" on blacks. That sounds like a strawman of your creation.

A standard tactic in demagoguery, btw.

Really? You've never seen the conservative posters who call black people all sorts of ugly names?

What I see mostly, is conservatives discussing issues that touch on race, such as crime or immigration, and being called racists by liberals for no valid reason.

That's demagoguery of the highest order.

I've never seen a conservatives blame "all the shootings and crimes" on blacks. That sounds like a strawman of your creation.

A standard tactic in demagoguery, btw.

[

Quick question. How would either the dog or the tractor be able to give consent to being married?
th

The dog can prove his intent the old fashioned way by consummating... I'm sure the farmer can do the same.

*****CHUCKLE*****

How do you know the dog and the tractor are willing to get married? If sex was the only requirement to get married, I would have been married in high school.

[

th

The dog can prove his intent the old fashioned way by consummating... I'm sure the farmer can do the same.

*****CHUCKLE*****

How do you know the dog and the tractor are willing to get married? If sex was the only requirement to get married, I would have been married in high school.

th

How do you know they're not? Seems like sex and living together is the only requirement for SSM.

*****CHUCKLE*****

[

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

How do you know they're not?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Inanimate objects don't have any way of letting you know one way or the other.

Neither can a dog by the way. Yes, they can show if they are happy or not happy to see you, but you don't know why.

Inanimate objects don't have any way of letting you know one way or the other.

We can have a nice little brainwashed AI installed to make you happy.

Neither can a dog by the way. Yes, they can show if they are happy or not happy to see you, but you don't know why.

Pretty apparent if they're happy with an intimate arrangement. So your point is?

th

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

So you're one of those who believes....

1. That all mature willing companions have the right to form a marriage union as they choose?

2. That because it looks evil those guns are going out and killing people in gun free zones and that banning those guns will stop it?

3. That people can break US law and stay here even though they came here illegally?

....I have more questions but we'll start with those for you to answer.

*****CHUCKLE*****

1. Yes, if the person is of the age of consent, and both parties are willing to enter into a marriage, they should be allowed to do so.

2. I have no problem with what kind of weapon you own, I do have a problem with having the ability to throw 30 rounds or more downrange before reloading. Firepower like that is only required in a combat zone.

3. If you are referring to adults who came to this country illegally? Deport them when they are caught. If you are talking about the DACA kids who didn't come here of their own choice, and have lived here almost all their lives? I think they should be afforded a path to citizenship. Either serve 4 years in the military honorably, or get a degree in a job that we need here in the US, or serve 4 years in the Peace Corps. That way, they are showing that they want to be here and will benefit this country.

Quick question for you.......................how do you feel about the veteran who was deported just a little while ago who had served 2 tours in Afghanistan serving this country? He served, got out, had PTSD and was arrested for drugs, and was then deported. Is that right?

US Army veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan has been deported to Mexico - CNN

You say you have a problem with people having weapons only appropriate to a combat zone, but the whole reason why they have them is in case their neighborhood becomes a combat zone (whether due to a foreign invader, or a tyrannical domestic power). So unless you are claiming this is an impossibility, despite it happening innumerable times throughout history, how do you justify your objection?

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

excuse my insult but the republicans are the 1927 Yankees of incompetence

Forum List

Back