Have you always had the political beliefs you have now?

For example, if you are leftwing now, were you ever rightwing?

I was rightwing in high school because my dad was republican. Now luckily I think for myself and will never look back. I'm 27 now. Things are so much clearer.

The older I get, the more liberal I find myself becoming.

My views have always been on the moderate left. Social and economic equality, environmentalism and opposition to blatant militarism. Though my views on family are actually conservative, that children should be raised by a man and woman in a lifelong monogamous marriage.

I was rightwing in high school because my dad was republican. Now luckily I think for myself and will never look back. I'm 27 now. Things are so much clearer.

Yes, I have always loved my country, and always intend to.

Last edited:
I've always been a liberal but I'm a fiscal conservative in that I believe in balanced budgets. I also believe that when a program is created, you must also fund that program with adequate fees or taxes.

I respect the idea of running a deficit during economic downturns. But once a recession ends, the country should return to a balanced budget as soon as possible.

Yes, I have always loved my country, and always intend to.

Most (if not ALL), of us love our country.

I was much more liberal when I was a very young woman in the 60's and 70's.

Today I am right of center and am working like hell to stay there.

I was born in Texas....when it was still Democratic, but my parents never talked about politics...they were not partisan, it was more about the character of the person that they voted for office.

I was taught to be responsible for myself, that education was very important, and if we got in trouble in school, we were in trouble at home, too. We were not allowed to miss school unless we were dying. I had perfect attendance all through elementary/jr high, and would have in HS, but was late to class one day due to hanging campaign posters as I was running for VP of the Jr. Class.

I was taught to be content with what I had, not to covet what others had, and if I couldn't afford something, I should either save for it or do without it.

My parents weren't rich, perhaps middle-class, and they were very careful with their money. Never over-extended themselves, always paid their bills on time. I am very much the same way, very conservative with my spending. Sometimes I have to tell myself that it is okay to splurge a bit....I've earned it.

I wanted to work from a very early stage in life. I lied about my age so I could get a job at a department store where my sister was working. I didn't care how much they paid me. I also begged my neighbor to have her friend (who owned a grocery store) to hire me, to do whatever needed to be done....ended up doing dishes for the owners after they ate lunch, bagging groceries and carrying them out for people that were way stronger than me!

My parents taught me not to be racist, to always treat people with respect and to be empathetic toward those that were poor. I baby sat for free for this lady so she could do her chores. Another neighbor would pay me to entertain her two kids and I would use the money to buy them toys.

I was brought up in a Christian home, my dad never said a bad word in front of us, and my sister and I were taught modesty in front of my brother and father. I never saw my dad drunk and I don't remember being spanked that much...the threat was usually enough.

I voted Republican once, and have voted Democrat the rest of the time.

No my beliefs have changed.

I used to be more conservative.

Voted for Reagan twice, GHW Bush once, Clinton twice.

Liberals might have had me forever if it weren't for Bush's "compassionate conservative" talk.

But then again, they might yet have lost me after I saw what Obama and Washington Democrats consider good government.

Last edited:
And then there was: "Read my lips, no new taxes." The campaign could have ended right then. In fact, it effectively DID. Liberals who might have been tempted were in terror; ordinary people's internal lie detectors screamed like the hadn't from that day until "If you like your.......".

And then there was: "Read my lips, no new taxes." The campaign could have ended right then. In fact, it effectively DID. Liberals who might have been tempted were in terror; ordinary people's internal lie detectors screamed like the hadn't from that day until "If you like your.......".

Welcome to post-apocalyptic America. Where the homo's are in charge of religion and a black man's responsible for your healthcare. Lord help us all!

In my youth I worked for RFK, run of the mill anti war liberal, bad number, had a choice, draft or enlist, enlisted. After service returned to college, got sick of the liberal wannabe's and their BS. Ended up a fiscal and social conservative. I guess after a trip to hell I discovered what the true meaning of the travail of liberalism was all about.

I didn't consciously give politics much thought until college and supporting Perot...live and learn. I'm sure my family had some sort of influence. I can remember at the age of 6 hearing my parents bitch about the peanut farmer getting elected and how the country would go to hell. Then I remember watching the hostages freed as Reagan was coming into office, and looking at him as a hero after all those nightly news casts with noting how many days the hostages had been held captive. Just like my common sense Grandpa who I admired and respected, Reagan made me feel secure. I liked that he trusted the people to make better decisions than government officials, which instilled confidence in my own decision-making abilities. I instinctively thought Slick Willy was a smooth talking bullshitter from the word go. I appreciated GW Bush for his ability to connect with common people's values. By the time of the '08 campaign, I knew that I'd never support most of the core ideals of the Dems.

Yes, always been a pragmatic centrist in the world's view, an American liberal, now sick to death of republicans, though I liked Goldwaterin '64 when I was 13...

Forum List

Back