Here's why religious restoration acts are repressive

]Baking a cake, renting an apartment approving employment applications and granting loans are NOT moral decisions. Participation in a ceremony, if only so far as to provide a cake IS, in the case of gay "weddings".
It is irrelevant what YOU feel. The baker should not be compelled to violate his religious tenets.
I've been to a lot of wedding ceremonies. Not one had a cake at it. The cake was always at the Reception, which is not the same as the ceremony.

The Reception is the celebration of the union of which they are against.

]Baking a cake, renting an apartment approving employment applications and granting loans are NOT moral decisions. Participation in a ceremony, if only so far as to provide a cake IS, in the case of gay "weddings".
It is irrelevant what YOU feel. The baker should not be compelled to violate his religious tenets.
I've been to a lot of wedding ceremonies. Not one had a cake at it. The cake was always at the Reception, which is not the same as the ceremony.

Ah, so now it's not the ceremony oppsed to, but the existence of a gay couple.

Ah, so now it's not the ceremony opposed to, but the existence of a gay couple.

Being against gay marriage does not mean that they should not be able to do so in order to have the same rights.
Their lifestyle should not be forced on those who oppose it.
There are plenty of Churches, Bakers,Florists and Photographers who will do it for them.
Those who oppose should not be forced to do so.
America is about freedom for all, not being forced to go against your religious principals.

So if a "christian" real estate office/apartment propertty chose not to show a house/apartment to a gay couple...that would be okay....

What if the couple were black....interracial...or just two friends who happened to be of the same sex who wished to live together while they were going to school or happened to be working on a project and were going to share expenses during the temporary situation?

Does the Realtor (who doesn't own the house) or the leasing agent (who doesn't own the apartment) get to decide if you have shelter?

So if a "christian" real estate office/apartment propertty chose not to show a house/apartment to a gay couple...that would be okay....

What if the couple were black....interracial...or just two friends who happened to be of the same sex who wished to live together while they were going to school or happened to be working on a project and were going to share expenses during the temporary situation?

Does the Realtor (who doesn't own the house) or the leasing agent (who doesn't own the apartment) get to decide if you have shelter?

No. They get to decide if they provide me with shelter.

huh?

huh?
They don't get to decide whether or not I have shelter. They only decide whether or not they help me achieve that goal.

huh?
They don't get to decide whether or not I have shelter. They only decide whether or not they help me achieve that goal.

If that is the only apartment near where you work in your price range...they are deciding it....

My question is whether or not we're going to extend the whacky wedding cake argument; that somehow God cares whether or not you sell me a cake to things that really matter....

I guess if the doctor doesn't like your lifestyle in the ER....he or she aren't deciding whether you live or die...they are only deciding whether or not they help me achieve that goal?

And????? Gay weddings offend the moral values of some people. Find a baker that is willing to serve you.

Ooh, hairsplitting. THAT'LL convince people.
It's actually an important point, since a claim has been the objection is not towards homosexuals, but towards the wedding and being seen to support it. The cake isn't part of the wedding, so the argument fails. Baking a cake for a reception is not being in anyway involved with the wedding.

The reception is part of the wedding, you halfwit. Christ on a fucking catapult, you people are retarded.

huh?

If that is the only apartment near where you work in your price range...they are deciding it....

My question is whether or not we're going to extend the whacky wedding cake argument; that somehow God cares whether or not you sell me a cake to things that really matter....

I guess if the doctor doesn't like your lifestyle in the ER....he or she aren't deciding whether you live or die...they are only deciding whether or not they help me achieve that goal?

Really? We're comparing ER doctors to catering a wedding? Can we say "perspective"?

Ah, so now it's not the ceremony oppsed to, but the existence of a gay couple.

Do you really not understand what the objection is, or are you just one of those laughable leftists who thinks deliberately sounding stupid is somehow an effective argument? "Duh, I don't get it. I win!"

Renting is not a religious ceremony.

Neither is buying a cake for most of us.

Ah, so now it's not the ceremony opposed to, but the existence of a gay couple.

Being against gay marriage does not mean that they should not be able to do so in order to have the same rights.
Their lifestyle should not be forced on those who oppose it.
There are plenty of Churches, Bakers,Florists and Photographers who will do it for them.
Those who oppose should not be forced to do so.
America is about freedom for all, not being forced to go against your religious principals.
And????? Gay weddings offend the moral values of some people. Find a baker that is willing to serve you.

Ooh, hairsplitting. THAT'LL convince people.
It's actually an important point, since a claim has been the objection is not towards homosexuals, but towards the wedding and being seen to support it. The cake isn't part of the wedding, so the argument fails. Baking a cake for a reception is not being in anyway involved with the wedding.

The reception is part of the wedding, you halfwit. Christ on a fucking catapult, you people are retarded.
No, it's not. Seperate event in a seperate venue, usually. The Wedding is the specific ceremony. The Reception is the party afterwards. It's really not that hard to figure out.

Catering staff don't attend the wedding, while they do serve at the reception.

My wife and I didn't have a reception, but we did have a wedding.

The two 'talking points' emphasized over and over by the Conservatives are: vendors are "forced" to provide services to same sex weddings. and vendors "participate" in those weddings.

First, vendors are asked to provide the exact same services to same sex weddings as they provide to heterosexual weddings. Are these oppressed vendors "forced" to service hetero weddings too? Were these poor vendors "forced" into being bakers and florists? The use of the hyperbolic word "forced" sets up a false comparison.

Next we are expected top believe that the baker, the florist, the caterer are actually active 'participants' in the weddings. Let's review who participates: the wedding party, occasionally clergy, invited guests and that's it! Vendors are there to ply their trade. Bakers deliver a cake to the venue and then they leave. How on earth does that task extend into 'participation'? Caterers work either for or with the venue. They prepare and serve food and drink. They perform no rite or sacramental ritual. They do not participate, in spite of the notion they want you to think so in order to bolster their case for bigotry.

The Conservative argument for repressive RRAs are based on hyperbole and new definitions of "participate' and 'forced labor'.

Perhaps their wedding ceremony was a civil ceremony without religious context..

Perhaps their wedding ceremony was a civil ceremony without religious context..

What has that got to do with renting?

Forum List

Back