Heroic Forgiveness: Favorite stories or links?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/genocide-survivor-saved-member-enemy-tribe-221128196.html

I just found this story, of a woman who recovered from the tragedy of genocide that killed her entire family, and now uses her story to help others lead better stronger lives. Inspiring, I have nothing but respect.

She reminds me of Peter Loth who also inspires and teaches people to choose forgiveness in order not to be victims of angry wounds of war and injustice for the rest of the lives.

Craig Scott also, after the death of his sister Rachel at Columbine left him wracked with survivor's guilt that could have led to more violence if he didn't stop and realize he needed to forgive before he became like the very people who made him so aggrieved and angry.

Who are your favorite Heroes of Forgiveness? Any stories or links you would like to share?
Please refer any sources I should add to my blog on the
Steps of Forgiveness and Dangers of Unforgiveness
freespiritualhealing | Resources for Healing and Forgiveness Therapy
===================================

Genocide survivor: saved by member of enemy tribe
By VERENA DOBNIK | Associated Press – 1 hour 3 minutes ago.. .
NEW YORK (AP) — A Rwandan genocide survivor who became a U.S. citizen Wednesday says she was saved because her father trusted an exceptional member of an enemy tribe that slaughtered the rest of her family.

"My father always used to tell us, 'Never judge people by putting them in boxes, because of their country, their race, their tribe,'" Immaculee Ilibagiza, a Tutsi, told fellow immigrants at a Manhattan naturalization ceremony.

The 43-year-old mother of two is the author of "Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust" — a best-selling book translated into 35 languages that has turned her into a successful speaker around the world.

Eyes brimming with tears, she received her citizenship 14 years after being granted asylum in the United States. Then, as the ceremony's keynote speaker, she took 50 other immigrants on the personal journey that transformed her from an angry, emaciated young Rwandan hiding from ethnic killers into a radiant American who forgives them and feels "that no tragedy is big enough to crush you."

The 1994 civil war claimed more than a half-million African lives, with members of the Tutsi tribe pitted against the ruling Hutus.

Life for her family — four siblings with parents who were teachers — changed on April 7, 1994, when she was a college student visiting her village and her brother announced that the Rwandan president died in a plane that was shot down.

He belonged to the Hutu tribe, and the Tutsis were blamed. The killings began.

Ilibagiza said her father decided she should flee to the home of a neighbor he knew and trusted — a Hutu.

She told fellow immigrants from 16 countries that "if I am here today, it's because my father had trust in the man from that tribe" — whose members "were supposed to be our enemies."

She spent three months locked into a tiny bathroom in his house with seven women and girls, sleeping practically upright and eating what little he could shove through the door daily. She was 23 and weighed 65 pounds, her bones protruding from her limbs.

"I was angry a lot; I thought, if I ever come out, I was going to be a killer," she said.

In despair, she said her Catholic childhood prayers. But when she got to "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" — she stopped.

"How do you forgive somebody who is killing you?"

Suddenly, one day, something unexpected happened inside her.

"I felt God was showing me there are two parts of the world: a part that was love, and a side that was hate — people like Hitler, and like people causing genocide in Rwanda," she said. "And people like Mandela, Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Martin Luther King — people who have suffered but who will do everything to make sure that those who are wrong change their mind."

She began to think of those doing the killing "as people who were lost, who were blind," she said. "And if I did not let go of the anger, I would not be here today; I would have tried to kill people, and they would have killed me."

The eight captives left their hiding spot when the genocide was over.

The Unforgiving Servant - Parables of Jesus
The Importance of Unlimited Forgiveness

A parable is a figure of speech, an extended metaphor, a story using common actions or circumstances designed to illustrate a spiritual truth, a principle, or a moral lesson. The word parable comes from the Greek word parable, which means to place beside or side by side for the purpose of comparison. A parable can usually be identified by the use of the word “like.” This was the method of teaching Jesus used most often.

In Matthew 18:21, Peter asked Jesus, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus’ response may have been astonishing to Peter at first. “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.”

Jesus knew this was challenging to Peter, as it is a challenge for many people. The temptation is to hold grudges, become untrusting, bitter and hardhearted. This leads to breaks in relationships, even divisions in the church. Peter might have hoped that seven times was adequate, and then he could permanently sever ties with the offending person, but Jesus taught that forgiveness has no limits. Peter’s question may have been burning in his mind for some time, and Jesus wanted to make a lasting impression on him.

The kingdom of heaven is like a man who discovered that he had a servant who owed him 10,000 talents. This is a massive amount of money, perhaps in the millions or billions of dollars. There’s no information given as to how this man became so indentured, or why such an amount was owed. It is necessary to always remember that a parable, though it often contains common, well-known scenarios, can also include exaggerated and even bizarre details for the purpose of stimulating thought and in order to be memorable. Because there was no way that the servant could pay the amount back, the servant was to be sold, him and all he had, plus his wife and children, in order to pay off the debt. The servant begged for leniency and promised to pay everything back. “Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.”

The lesson could have ended there. It made the point of forgiving an incalculable, inconceivable amount of money out of compassion for someone and their family whose lives could have been radically changed for the worse. But Jesus went on to underscore the argument. That servant who was pardoned of his huge debt went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a fraction of the amount he had been forgiven for. He began choking him, demanding, “Pay me what you owe!” The man begged him saying, “Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.” But he was cast into prison.

When the other servants saw what had been done, they went to the master to report the injustice. The master called the first servant and said, “You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?” The master was furious and had him incarcerated also until he could satisfy his debt, which would be impossible. This second half of the parable definitely had Peter’s attention. Then Jesus used the power punch with His closing statement. “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”

Jesus taught forgiveness on a number of occasions. Early in His ministry, in the well-known Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7), He taught his disciples what has come to be known as the Lord’s Prayer. In it are the words, “And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.” Immediately He continues teaching, “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” (Matthew 6:14, 15)

The 10,000 talents are like a person’s debt of innumerable sins before God. There is no way it can be paid off. God in His mercy forgives it all. The smaller amount owed by the second servant to the first might represent wrongs that he suffered, but these are insignificant in comparison. Considering all the sins God has forgiven, offering unlimited forgiveness to others seems an appropriate response.

The message of the parable is repeated in the church epistles. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32) “…bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.” (Colossians 3:13)

The Unforgiving Servant - Parables of Jesus

Forum List

Back