Hey lefties, I gotta bone to pick with you.

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
The left loves to point at the Scandinavian countries as an example of how their way of thinking can work successfully. Norway, Sweden, Finland; these are the examples used to show what it can be like when a government takes care of its people. I'm all about that shit, really, but I think most of you guys are missing something. Do you know how those countries are able to afford to treat their citizens that well? It's because they make it really fucking hard to be a citizen. It's not racist, bigoted or born of hate. They just understand that they can't take care of the whole world. You can't have world class social safety nets and then be cool with giving away citizenship for almost nothing to almost anybody. It doesn't work.

im not all about the govt wiping our ass for us(ima huge supporter of personal repsonsibility) but i agree with the rest.

The left loves to point at the Scandinavian countries as an example of how their way of thinking can work successfully. Norway, Sweden, Finland; these are the examples used to show what it can be like when a government takes care of its people. I'm all about that shit, really, but I think most of you guys are missing something. Do you know how those countries are able to afford to treat their citizens that well? It's because they make it really fucking hard to be a citizen. It's not racist, bigoted or born of hate. They just understand that they can't take care of the whole world. You can't have world class social safety nets and then be cool with giving away citizenship for almost nothing to almost anybody. It doesn't work.

What does it currently take to become a US citizen? Compared to say Sweden?

Takes a lot. You have to live there for a while, then go back to your original country for a while. A full background check, it's hard.

• Banned

One thing they require that we don't is fluency in the native language. They also won't let unskilled labor gain citizenship like we do every day. It's also just generally harder to get approved. They actively understand that they have to have good control over who they let in and how many.

So obviously neither of you who responded know.

So tell me which parts, if any, of this are inaccurate:

Naturalization as a Swedish citizen[edit]
Swedish citizenship can be acquired by naturalization, also known as citizenship by application.

A foreigner may be granted Swedish citizenship upon meeting certain requirements, including:

• holding a permanent residence permit, unless a citizen of a Nordic Council country. For citizens of European Economic Area nations, limited residence permits for five years equate to a permanent residence permit.
A number of exemptions apply to the residence period:

• the residence period is reduced to 4 years for recognised refugees and stateless persons.
  • citizens of other Nordic Council countries are only required to have two years' residence in Sweden.
  • former Swedish citizens
  • those employed on Swedish ships
  • persons employed abroad by Swedish corporations
  • a person with previous long residence in Sweden
For those married to, living in a registered partnership with or cohabiting with a Swedish citizen, he/she can apply for Swedish citizenship after three years. In these cases, he/she must have been living together for the past two years. It is not enough to be married to one another, he/she must also live together.[1]

Sweden imposes no requirements on Swedish language abilities or knowledge about Swedish history or culture, the only other countries in Europe without these requirements are Belgium, Ireland and Italy.[2]

Swedish citizenship can be acquired by naturalization, also known as citizenship by application.

A foreigner may be granted Swedish citizenship upon meeting certain requirements, including:

• holding a permanent residence permit, unless a citizen of a Nordic Council country. For citizens of European Economic Area nations, limited residence permits for five years equate to a permanent residence permit.

• the residence period is reduced to 4 years for recognised refugees and stateless persons.
  • citizens of other Nordic Council countries are only required to have two years' residence in Sweden.
For those married to, living in a registered partnership with or cohabiting with a Swedish citizen, he/she can apply for Swedish citizenship after three years. In these cases, he/she must have been living together for the past two years. It is not enough to be married to one another, he/she must also live together.[1]

Sweden imposes no requirements on Swedish language abilities or knowledge about Swedish history or culture, the only other countries in Europe without these requirements are Belgium, Ireland and Italy.[2]
My mom's friends daughter years back probably 20 years ago wanted to move to Sweden and it wasn't easy.

My mom's friends daughter years back probably 20 years ago wanted to move to Sweden and it wasn't easy.
IOW you don't dispute anything I've offered to prove the OP, and you, are full of shit.

• Banned

I guess Sweden is the exception for fluency in the home language, my bad. The other ones do require it. I don't think your post demonstrated that it's easy to gain citizenship in these countries. "A foreigner may be granted Swedish citizenship upon meeting certain requirements." It's a fact that they are much more picky when it comes to who they let it. That's because they do treat their people well and give them access to lots of help. They understand that they are limited in what they can do. If the left had its way it'd make U.S citizenship easier and have it grant access to more safety nets. That's pretty stupid though, no?

IOW you don't dispute anything I've offered to prove the OP, and you, are full of shit.
No, it ain't easy and you won't move there to be supported by the tax payer.

Forum List

Back