High School Suspends Student For Not Standing For Pledge Of Allegiance

The school's in a tough spot. What are they supposed to do? Make the pledge of allegiance optional? Maybe, I don't know, but the school should want to promote love of country, kids should respect authority and there has to be order. Perhaps a suspension is too harsh, maybe if kids chose to protest they recieve some other punishment. If they want to take a stand then they have to pay some sort of price. That's how it works a lot of times in the real world.

Yes, the pledge is and should be optional.

If you "love" your country, you also love that freedom.

Alternatively, we could dress our kids in brown shirts and give them no choices about what they believe.
When you were in school was it optional? No it wasn't, and it didn't kill you.

Assuming you were in school after 1943, yes it was optional, you just didn't know it.

Alternatively, we could dress our kids in brown shirts and give them no choices about what they believe.
I wouldn't be in the least surprised. You indeed are the stuff of brown shirts. I am suspicious of fanatics of left or right, and while I'm sure you are trying to disparage them, you don't have the insight to understand you're disparaging yourself.

It's cowardly and dishonest to cheery pick a post so you can lie about its content. My entire post:

You're right that I am fanatical about the freedoms we enjoy in this country.

What good is a pledge that is not voluntary?

When you were in school was the pledge of allegiance optional? Do you think it served a purpose?

Yes.

No.

What so there were kids sitting and silent during it? If you say so, but that's definitely not how it went in the schools I went to. We were told to get up, put our hand in our hearts and recite it. It wasn't pointless. It taught us being respectful to the country is important.

You know what's telling about liberal? Symbolism is the most important thing to them, by when it comes to something like the pledge allegiance, all of a sudden it's not so important.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be in the least surprised. You indeed are the stuff of brown shirts. I am suspicious of fanatics of left or right, and while I'm sure you are trying to disparage them, you don't have the insight to understand you're disparaging yourself.

It's cowardly and dishonest to cheery pick a post so you can lie about its content. My entire post:

You're right that I am fanatical about the freedoms we enjoy in this country.
You, as the Brown Shirts, both fanatics. Your purported "love" of freedom extends to others until they disagree with you. The Brown Shirts thought likewise. Another time and place, you would be one and the same, being cut from the same cloth.

When you were in school was it optional? No it wasn't, and it didn't kill you.

Assuming you were in school after 1943, yes it was optional, you just didn't know it.

Wrong. You were told what to do and if you didn't comply you would get in trouble.

When I was a kid nobody ever didn't want to stand for the pledge of allegiance, what the fuck is going on these days?

Considering what this country has become over the past twenty years I'm not sure I'd want to stand and recite it if I were still a kid either.

Well it's about time a school punished a student for NOT being patriotic. These days it's usually the other way around. Didn't a boy recently get expelled for wearing a T-shirt with an American flag on it?

Wouldn't that be dress code?

Only if you're wearing an American flag. If you wear a rainbow or a Mexican flag then it's freedom of speech.

You mean the same vets who fought for our right to sit down during the pledge of allegiance?

You mean those vets?

I'll lend out my grandfather. You should see the daggers in his eyes when he spots someone not standing or taking their hat off during the national anthem.

The government shouldn't be able to force you to stand or recite anything, unless you are in a courtroom. Peer pressure, on the other hand, should be used at will.

In this country your grandfather has the right to his opinion, belief and the right to stare daggers.

I would stand but I have the right not to.

Do we really want to teach our kids that they don't have that right? Do we want to teach them to stop thinking for themselves and just be little automatons?

They can be taught they have the right, but when they choose to disrespect something that others respect, they need to understand that there may be consequences such as shunning, and my grandfather calling you an asshat.

And most of the automaton behavior comes from the students being spoon fed leftist tripe. Your side has perfected group-think.

Hopefully Sean Hannity will reporting on this tonight -- big government trying to force the kid to do something he didn't want to do.

At least the kid doesn't owe the rest of us millions of dollars like that dirtbag in NV.

Having the pledge of allegiance is a great idea. Making it mandatory defeats the purpose.

If you force the kid to participate, it is not a pledge of allegiance, it is forced recitation of words. Nothing more.

The proper way to handle this is through the old fashioned way of coercion: shame.

Next assembly sit a WWII vet and a wounded Iraq war vet on either side of the kid. Lets see how he reacts then. If he wants to make a stand for a position on something, make him work for it.
Nice touch... a 'middle-ground'?

I agree, the kid should just be able to sit quite if he so wishes.

That is because your a douche bag Muslim that hates the country!

Actually its the parents that failed here. They should have taught him to respect the country and show pride in pledging your alliance every morning to her!

Some parents just need to knock some sense into kids.

If a person wants respect for whatever it is that they choose to stand for, I guess that they have to show some respect for whatever everyone else chooses to stand for, so if them kids want some respect for whatever they believe in, they have to show some first for whatever everyone else believes in.

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Is a moment of silence still taken in schools when a tragedy happens?

I agree, the kid should just be able to sit quite if he so wishes.

That is because your a douche bag Muslim that hates the country!

Actually its the parents that failed here. They should have taught him to respect the country and show pride in pledging your alliance every morning to her!

Some parents just need to knock some sense into kids.

Right, so we should force the kid to stand and pledge allegiance to the flag?? Or punish him if he does not?

What sort of nation do you really want? It sounds like you want everyone lock-stepping when the politicians say so. Part of what I served to protect was this kid's right to decide whether he pledges any allegiance or not. You want that decision to be made for him.

They should have taught him to respect the country and show pride in pledging your alliance every morning to her!

The way fascist nations do?

Throughout high school, in the late 1960s, we had an assembly once a week when the national anthem was played and everyone was supposed to stand, put their hand over their heart and silently listen to the anthem. I never did. As far as I know, I was the only one who didn't, stand or put my hand on my heart. I don't like nationalism and made that decision by the time I was 15 or 16. I got some 'looks,' but most of confusion or puzzlement, no one was angry. No one ever said anything to me.

Our nation has become angry and divided. That's the problem. It's not the school, it is the overall attitude in this nation: confrontational, partisan, and extremely angry.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back