🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Highway Toll Hell: Trump Plan Pushes Fees

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Do You Like Paying Tolls? You’re Gonna Love Trump’s Infrastructure Plan

The proposal would allow more states to toll interstate highways.

WASHINGTON ― If you like paying tolls, you’re going to love Donald Trump’s infrastructure plan.

The president’s long-awaited $1.5 trillion proposal, which was released Monday, seeks to leverage $200 billion in direct federal spending over the next decade into an additional $1.3 trillion by relying on state and local tax dollars, as well as private investment.

One way to attract private investors to finance infrastructure projects would be to toll roads. Trump’s infrastructure plan would give states more flexibility to toll existing interstate highways ― under the rationale that if you use a road, you ought to pay a price in order to maintain it.

“Tolling restrictions foreclose what might otherwise serve as a major source of revenue for infrastructure investment,” Trump’s plan reads. “Providing states flexibility to toll existing Interstates would generate additional revenues for states to invest in surface transportation infrastructure.”

Adding fees on existing highways isn’t exactly a popular move, however. A statewide push to privatize highways in Texas suffered a backlash from angry commuters, who complained about exorbitant late fees and costly toll bills. In December, the state’s transportation officials voted against constructing new toll roads after opposition from Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick (R).

More: Do You Like Paying Tolls? You're Gonna Love Trump's Infrastructure Plan

Personally, I'm against toll roads. What do you think?

If you like tolls visit Okiehoma...They love gouging the motorist..
Or Kansas. Kinda crazy how the gas tax money is spent elsewhere.
I got a call from a company asking about upcoming Missouri politics on Saturday and how I would vote,and one question was about approving of toll roads...I did notice they didn't have a response like"hell no!"....

Yeah, sort of like exorbitant tobacco taxes - spent on everything but smokers' healthcare.
Yes and it seems to never end...

They're going after alcohol next. Read an article on it last weekend
I don't doubt it Arkanass has been for year..One shot ten bucks...

Rather than put tolls on specific roads just repeal all gasoline/diesel fuel taxes and tax based on miles drive. LIke they wanna do in The People's Republic of Oregon....except they want to keep the gas/diesel taxes, too.

That would snag all the envirofreaks in their little electrics - no more free rides for you!

I got a call from a company asking about upcoming Missouri politics on Saturday and how I would vote,and one question was about approving of toll roads...I did notice they didn't have a response like"hell no!"....
I’ve heard a couple radio spots saying our state gas tax is too low to keep the roads up. Never mind that money is spent on everything but roads.

I want a law that any taxes levied for a specific purpose must be spent for that. It can not be used anywhere else.

I’ve heard a couple radio spots saying our state gas tax is too low to keep the roads up. Never mind that money is spent on everything but roads.

I want a law that any taxes levied for a specific purpose must be spent for that. It can not be used anywhere else.
I do too....

Like lottery proceeds were to go to education....yeah right

It will never happen look at state lotterys.

Well how about the pollution Cars cause,
We end up paying for them one way or another. I approve of the idea that those that use 'em should contribute more for their upkeep.

Tolling roads is not very efficient way of getting revenue, gas tax is far easier collect and encourages less dependence on importing oil...

Europe was big into tolling roads but have moved away as it causes various problems. Truck usually pay most and they start using smaller roads and the wreak them...

Also why should you pay for a highway and not a rural road... Both have to be maintained?

Gop bait n switch .

Tax cuts so you get a bump in pay. Then add all these fees to make up for it . Meanwhile the big biz masters end up raking it in while the working stiff pays more in the end .

Forum List

Back