🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Historic Notre-Dame cathedral on fire

Yeah, good luck with that. Given that the walls have burned, I doubt much art can be saved.
Well, unlike the claim that they are doing nothing and just letting it burn, they are trying....and not all artwork is/was wall paintings. It isn't the Sistine Chapel.

Blah blah blah so sleepy....zzzzzz

The politicians are already spinning that the delay was due to rush hour congestion. In Realityland, they failed in their duty to combat the fire. So now the excuses will flow.
Well, it may have been "rush hour." But how could civil service types have approved any reconstruction without precautions. I mean there IS a ready source of water, and pumps aren't hard to come by. A failure for "the ages"

Personally, I thought it over rated among Paris touristey sites, and we'll always have the Disney movie. (-:

It's a rather dramatic and emblematic failure of our governing elites. They spend time and resources on nonsense (climate change, social engineering), and fail in their basic responsibilities of public and national safety.

And personally, I love Notre Dame and am horrified at what has happened to it.
So.....this is the fault of climate change and social engineering.......................okay.... :71:
Ya....that is silly. Lets not make this political for once. :(

Well, unlike the claim that they are doing nothing and just letting it burn, they are trying....and not all artwork is/was wall paintings. It isn't the Sistine Chapel.

The politicians are already spinning that the delay was due to rush hour congestion. In Realityland, they failed in their duty to combat the fire. So now the excuses will flow.
Well, it may have been "rush hour." But how could civil service types have approved any reconstruction without precautions. I mean there IS a ready source of water, and pumps aren't hard to come by. A failure for "the ages"

Personally, I thought it over rated among Paris touristey sites, and we'll always have the Disney movie. (-:

It's a rather dramatic and emblematic failure of our governing elites. They spend time and resources on nonsense (climate change, social engineering), and fail in their basic responsibilities of public and national safety.

So.....this is the fault of climate change and social engineering.......................okay.... :71:

B'loney. This tragedy was exacerbated by an incompetent response on the part of the government. There was no fire fighting equipment used on site until 2 hours after the fire started. Calling for "non-political" comments only is a call for a cover-up of bureaucratic malfeasance.

It was just reported there were no workers onsite when the fire started. They had all left earlier after their work day. The fire started at 6:30.

Bigotry is not healthy speculation.

Muslims have burned other Christian buildings in Europe in past- what's "bigoted" about looking at those with a history of this kind of thing first?
Christians have attacked Mosques... employing the brain-dead bigoted logic of the right, Christians probably started yesterday's fire in the Jerusalem mosque.

See how stupid that is?
-------------------------------------------------- Not stupid , there MAY have been Lefty Westerners that started the fire . Many Lefty Westerners sure do hate Western Civilization Faun . [remember the anti Western chant from the 60s that you were chanting as a young college 'feck' Faun ]
Moron, I wasn't in college in the 60's. Or the 70's, for that matter. Meanwhile, you're speculating without an ounce of evidence.

Your bigotry compels you to do so.
---------------------------------------- and that is the definition of SPECULATION . It is thinking and questioning because a person has NO Evidence . Do a google on definition of Speculation Faun and all yew other good people .
No, speculating with no evidence, as you are doing, is based on your own bigotry since you are speculating while there is evidence it was started by nothing more than an accident by the folks working on the restoration.

but as regards the Notre Dame burning , it MAY have been an act of terrorism in my opinion Ladies and Gents .
It may also have been some smoker flicking his cig in the wrong place too......much much more likely.
All the workers had previously left for their work day, it is being reported. The fire started at 6:30, also.

Nothing lasts forever

True...and sadly we have lost the desire to create buildings like that anymore.
I am not sure we've lost the desire. I think it is human nature to create things like that. But with the way governments run our nations now, with laws and regulations, etc., I'm not sure the plan to build such an edifice would meet the standards of years of studies and litigation.
I think it is more a factor of efficiency and cost over beauty :(

upload_2019-4-16_12-30-24.jpeg

Gas tanks and documents in Arabic were found in an unmarked car next to Notre Dame cathedral, sparking fresh terror fears and at least four arrests, according to French reports.

Daily Telegraph.

That article is from 2016.
Gas tanks and Arabic documents found in unmarked car by Paris' Notre Dame cathedral spark terror fears
Let’s pray there was not an attempt.

There have already been two foiled terror plots against the Strasbourg cathedral. The last one as recent as Christmas 2018.
I would not be surprised if this wasn’t an act of a terrorist. Why you can’t have open borders. If this was the act of an ISIS affiliate then France must blame themselves for not providing border security.
No evidence of that just a dumbass article from 2016 that some One posted as if it were current news.

Last edited:
It was just reported there were no workers onsite when the fire started. They had all left earlier after their work day. The fire started at 6:30.

The fire started earlier than that. I've noticed a shifting in the reporting to make it later and later. The original reports said 5:50pm

Lucy, we are all mourning the destruction of Notre Dame, no matter what our religion. It was a beauty of a church and so historic. But remember it is only a building, however precious, and not the real Church.

What an idiotic statement. This is one of the oldest, most famous, and iconic symbols of Christianity in the world. It's not "just a building".
I know that. The complexity of what I was trying to say to Lucy is lost on you. Lucy's reaction was deeper than losing an icon--it seemed as if to her Christianity itself took a huge hit. Or maybe I misunderstood her.

She's right. Christianity itself did take a huge hit. That's what this is about. To see it trivialized as nothing more than "art and architecture" is an enormous slap in the face.
I didn't "trivialize" it. We are all mourning the destruction of Notre Dame.
You still don't get what I'm saying. It is, in the end, a building, not the faith itself.

Lucy, we are all mourning the destruction of Notre Dame, no matter what our religion. It was a beauty of a church and so historic. But remember it is only a building, however precious, and not the real Church.

What an idiotic statement. This is one of the oldest, most famous, and iconic symbols of Christianity in the world. It's not "just a building".
I know that. The complexity of what I was trying to say to Lucy is lost on you. Lucy's reaction was deeper than losing an icon--it seemed as if to her Christianity itself took a huge hit. Or maybe I misunderstood her.

She's right. Christianity itself did take a huge hit. That's what this is about. To see it trivialized as nothing more than "art and architecture" is an enormous slap in the face.
You still don't get what I'm saying. It is, in the end, a building, not the faith itself.

The building is far more than a building. It's an enduring symbol of the Catholic faith that took nearly two centuries to build by hand. The very construction was a great act of devotion. Symbols Have Meaning.

The fire started earlier than that. I've noticed a shifting in the reporting to make it later and later. The original reports said 5:50pm
A local group of high school students is in Paris right now, and it was on the front page of the paper this morning. One of the teachers with them said that they were on their way to the Eiffel Tower at about 6 p.m. when they got the news of the fire at Notre Dame.
The last article I read said that the initial fire alarm went off at 6 p.m. and they checked but found no fire. It went off again at 6:23 p.m. when fire was found.
So there's a little confusion, I guess, but it was around then.

The building is far more than a building. It's an enduring symbol of the Catholic faith that took nearly two centuries to build by hand. The very construction was a great act of devotion. Symbols Have Meaning.
Of course they do. I guess I'm not making myself clear, so I give up.

You still don't get what I'm saying. It is, in the end, a building, not the faith itself

And I'm saying, "What an idiotic and insensitive thing to say".

How about if somebody "accidentally" blew this abomination to smithereens? Would it just be "a building"?

upload_2019-4-16_11-37-34.jpeg

B'loney. This tragedy was exacerbated by an incompetent response on the part of the government. There was no fire fighting equipment used on site until 2 hours after the fire started. Calling for "non-political" comments only is a call for a cover-up of bureaucratic malfeasance.
That is bullshit and I'm still waiting for a link saying no firefighting equipment was on site until 8 p.m.

You still don't get what I'm saying. It is, in the end, a building, not the faith itself

And I'm saying, "What an idiotic and insensitive thing to say".

How about if somebody "accidentally" blew this abomination to smithereens? Would it just be "a building"?

View attachment 256151
Sorry you took it that way, and I have a feeling no matter how well I explain what I meant, you won't want to hear it.
The destruction of the cathedral was very sad to all of us. As I said before.
Take it as you will.

That is bullshit and I'm still waiting for a link saying no firefighting equipment was on site until 8 p.m.

I watched it live. The cathedral burned for nearly two hours before any water was applied; and the reports were that first responders were standing around because they had not equipment on site. The reports then discussed the congestion of rush hour traffic. So, you can shove your opinion where it belongs.

Questions for Paris fire brigade as Notre Dame inferno burns out of control for hours | Daily Mail Online

It could have been libs, of course. Jesse Jackson likes to lead liberals with the chant "hey ho hey ho, western civ has got to go", and the Paris cathedral is a true symbol of our civilization.

Liberals would like to transform us to get rid of this kind of thing, civilizations they love, like in the Middle East and deepest, darkest Africa don't go for things like Notre Dame
Jesse Jackson said that?

Linky, Linky

I watched it live. The cathedral burned for nearly two hours before any water was applied; and the reports were that first responders were standing around because they had not equipment on site. The reports then discussed the congestion of rush hour traffic. So, you can shove your opinion where it belongs.

Questions for Paris fire brigade as Notre Dame inferno burns out of control for hours | Daily Mail Online

Gridlock and the isolation on an island blocked the fire trucks
What would you have done?

Whatever.

Believe whatever floats your boat, which in your case is to attack the Paris authorities.

Forum List

Back