Hmmm...I thought churches didn't have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this...

The minister is protected. Hobby Lobby case set the precedent. He has Bill Clinton's Religious Freedom Restoration Act behind him. They will have to rent the chapel but the minister cannot be compelled to perform the ceremony.

That's not good enough. He shouldn't even have to rent out the chapel

The minister is protected. Hobby Lobby case set the precedent. He has Bill Clinton's Religious Freedom Restoration Act behind him. They will have to rent the chapel but the minister cannot be compelled to perform the ceremony.

That's not good enough. He shouldn't even have to rent out the chapel
True. He should be free to conduct his business affairs any way he sees fit.

Besides.............................there are many churches who are willing to marry gay couples, why get in a hassle with one that refuses?

You don't understand the left....all must submit...

They are running a business, not a religion.

Hence they fall under business law and must not discriminate.

I disagree. They're a church that performs weddings. I don't see how they must be forced to perform gay weddings, when it directly violates freedom of religion.

Not according to the City.

Additionally, city officials say the chapel is a for-profit business meaning the owners must comply with local non-discrimination ordinances.

In 2013, the city passed an ordinance prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation. That ordinance applied to housing, employment and “public accommodation” and exempted religious entities. But city attorney Warren Wilson said in May the Hitching Post would likely be required to follow the ordinance.

Idaho ministers face arrest jail for refusing to perform same-sex weddings - Spokane Conservative Examiner.com

If they were a religious entity they would have been exempted but since they are running a for profit business they have violated the law.

Just keep moving those goalposts you miserable fascist hack.

And, its for-profit.

Must be about time we refused to pay their damn property taxes.
If they are legally considered a church, they are not paying taxes just like a church does not. But, if they are paying like businesses do, they are a business. That's the quickest way to determine.

A church can lose its tax exemption for political reasons.

Again, I don't see in the 1st amendment that you lose your freedoms if you make money off something.

I'm having doubts.

They're charging money for providing quick marriages. That sounds an awful lot like a business.

I'd like to see how well the Hobby Lobby-esque argument could work here.

Where in the 1st amendment does freedom of religion go away when you are part of a business?
So...I have the freedom of religion to refuse service in my business to anyone I deem to be a wild-eyed crazy christian.......ok.

You shouldn't have to marry them. Are that petty that people must acquiesce to your desires or face jailtime?

What a miserable twat you must be in real life.

I'm having doubts.

They're charging money for providing quick marriages. That sounds an awful lot like a business.

How does making money remove your 1st amendment rights?

I'm having doubts.

I think it's because there are laws that require equality when it comes to business.

That said, I'm no expert on the law.

If I'm an RN, I can't choose to not care for someone because they're gay. Personally, as with the issue of the cake-maker, I feel he should have been allowed to not make gay wedding cakes if it didn't jive with his beliefs.

I need a better understanding of each side on this particular issue.

Where in the 1st amendment does freedom of religion go away when you are part of a business?
So...I have the freedom of religion to refuse service in my business to anyone I deem to be a wild-eyed crazy christian.......ok.

You shouldn't have to marry them. Are that petty that people must acquiesce to your desires or face jailtime?

I'm not in the marrying business......but if what you want were the law (or lack of one), I'd get to refuse service to the crazy wild-eyes christians.

I'm having doubts.

I think it's because there are laws that require equality when it comes to business.

That said, I'm no expert on the law.

If I'm an RN, I can't choose to not care for someone because they're gay. Personally, as with the issue of the cake-maker, I feel he should have been allowed to not make gay wedding cakes if it didn't jive with his beliefs.

I need a better understanding of each side on this particular issue.

There is nothing in providing nursing care that changes based on the sexual orientation of the person. A heart attack is a heart attack, AIDS is AIDS, and broken arm is a broken arm. Here the state is compelling a minister to perform an act outside of their religious base, in a religous act.

I'm not in the marrying business......but if what you want were the law (or lack of one), I'd get to refuse service to the crazy wild-eyes christians.

For marrying them sure. Why would Christians want to get married by a hateful twat such as yourself?

For marrying them sure. Why would Christians want to get married by a hateful twat such as yourself?
Again, for the slow reader (such as yourself)....I'm not in the marrying business. But if I was, I know enough of the law as it stands right now that I wouldn't withhold my services, even for hateful wild-eyed, mentally ill christians. (note: not all christians fit that description)

Again, for the slow reader (such as yourself)....I'm not in the marrying business. But if I was, I know enough of the law as it stands right now that I wouldn't withhold my services, even for hateful wild-eyed, mentally ill christians. (note: not all christians fit that description)

Bullshit.

Bullshit.
Well, if that description fits you....and it sounds like it does....wear that scat with pride. :D

Bullshit.
Well, if that description fits you....and it sounds like it does....wear that scat with pride. :D

Not getting the context of the retort, ain't we. I'm calling you a fucking liar.

Forum List

Back