HOLY CRAP, my best friend might be RIGHT about Trump

So after 4 years of undergrad, 1.5 years of grad school, and 20 years with the company, they can just dump my ass into Medicare?

Well that's just fucking great, so once again I get to pay for other people's coverage by having my own fucked up.

THAT WAS THE END RESULT OF FUCKING OBAMACARE!!!!
People who have Medicare love it. And they love the choices they have when they shop for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans from a nice, wide range of insurers who are competing and innovating for their business.

because they are old and it's the only game in town. and I'm sure the looove Medicare when it tries to take a house away from a family to cover the costs of an older relative's long term care....

Now try that with people in their prime, people who get injuries from active sports and such, people with terminal diseases that are in the prime of their lives and may not be as willing as an older person to "let nature take its course", and see how it works out....

and you didn't actually answer my problem with it. I played the game by the rules, and now I am going to be squished into the masses, made up of some people who made terrible life choices, and will now be getting a pass for them. Same as Obamacare, same as the $15 minimum wage, same as welfare.

And people wonder why we got Trump.....who I hope isn't really considering this.

Medicare neither takes peoples houses or pays for long term care.

Oh rly?

Paying for nursing home care | Medicare.gov

No, it just waits until they are dead and takes it from their heirs.

Read your link. Medicaid is not Medicare. And Medicaid never "takes a house". They occasionally put a lien on property to recover funds paid, although even that practice is banned in some states.

different sides of the same government coin. What this plan does is basically combines medicaid and medicare, so say goodbye to your assets you leave to your heirs, because the government just figured out how to fund this crap....

Trump doesn't know what obamacare is, he doesn't know what medicare is, or the difference between it and medicaid.

...neither do his rubes

People who have Medicare love it. And they love the choices they have when they shop for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans from a nice, wide range of insurers who are competing and innovating for their business.

because they are old and it's the only game in town. and I'm sure the looove Medicare when it tries to take a house away from a family to cover the costs of an older relative's long term care....

Now try that with people in their prime, people who get injuries from active sports and such, people with terminal diseases that are in the prime of their lives and may not be as willing as an older person to "let nature take its course", and see how it works out....

and you didn't actually answer my problem with it. I played the game by the rules, and now I am going to be squished into the masses, made up of some people who made terrible life choices, and will now be getting a pass for them. Same as Obamacare, same as the $15 minimum wage, same as welfare.

And people wonder why we got Trump.....who I hope isn't really considering this.

Oh rly?

Read your link. Medicaid is not Medicare. And Medicaid never "takes a house". They occasionally put a lien on property to recover funds paid, although even that practice is banned in some states.

different sides of the same government coin. What this plan does is basically combines medicaid and medicare, so say goodbye to your assets you leave to your heirs, because the government just figured out how to fund this crap....

Medicare for all is not Medicaid for all. And Medicaid recovery is a very rare practice, only a handful of states even participate. It applies only to those over 55 and is only used to recovery the expense of long term care. It cannot be used if there is a surviving spouse, surviving child under 21, or the usual case--any child of any age that is disabled.

Yeah, it's $27 Trillion in unfunded liabilities in the hole and growing every day, so they'll love it right up to the point that the public debt burden becomes so great that it collapses the currency, after that not so much. Those that want to expand it from the current 55 million enrolled to 330 million enrolled are obviously living in an alternate plane of existence where money grows on trees.

Funny thing, Medicare and Medicaid take care of the poor, the elderly, and the disabled at about the same per person cost as private health insurance takes care of the healthy and working.
Methinks you need to do a bit more research, Medicare and Medicaid are ridiculously more expensive than private insurance, first off Medicare is underwater on an annualized operating basis thus it continuously drives up federal cumulative operating deficits (which entails debt services cost that are continually compounded upon themselves), secondly because of artificial prices controls it shifts the burden of product and service delivery onto the backs of those paying for private insurance (TANSTAFL); Private market premiums are higher because we have to make up for the shortfall in payouts for health care provider product and service delivery, we also have to pay for the fact that federal programs shift the ADMINISTRATIVE burden onto health care providers to the point where it requires up to 4 administrative staff just to support 1 doctor that accepts government run insurance (which explains why we're seeing an exodus of providers from government run insurance). Lastly the fact that we have a system that is buffet style means that there is no disincentive for over-consumption, thus supply is squeezed by what is essentially limitless demand and prices of products and services are artificially inflated further.

Medicare also offers very limited patient coverage choice, on Medicare I cannot al carte choose the exact coverage I want and need, I have to take what's offered which is grossly inefficient and wasteful. Personally I do not want government involved in my health care AT ALL since I'm perfectly capable of determining my own insurance needs, evaluating the competency of providers and deciding how to spend my own money and I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the citizenry is capable of doing the same thing.

Once you get government completely out the health care business and allow for healthy market competition you'll have the necessary ingredients for costs to fall and for quality and supply to rise, at which point fixed subsidies for the poor and the elderly to purchase insurance in the private market will be affordable and provide superior quality and choice.

"In the economic sphere an act, a habit, an institution, a law produces not only one effect, but a series of effects. Of these effects, the first alone is immediate; it appears simultaneously with its cause; it is seen. The other effects emerge only subsequently; they are not seen; we are fortunate if we foresee them." -- Fredric Bastiat

So what would be the incentive for companies to continue having medical insurance as part of their benefits package?

What you are actually talking about id "medicaid for all" not medicare for all.

Exactly. One of the best benefits to the country of Universal Healthcare (Medicare for all) is that it frees up employers to hire more people from the money they're saving not having to cover employees for healthcare!

Der! They get *this close* to the perfect solution and then miss it by *that much*..

UH should be paid for by proportionate cash register taxes on tobacco, booze & sugared goods. The three main killers. In that way, also beautifully, the sick really are paying for their own healthcare in the end.

Yeah, it's $27 Trillion in unfunded liabilities in the hole and growing every day, so they'll love it right up to the point that the public debt burden becomes so great that it collapses the currency, after that not so much. Those that want to expand it from the current 55 million enrolled to 330 million enrolled are obviously living in an alternate plane of existence where money grows on trees.

Funny thing, Medicare and Medicaid take care of the poor, the elderly, and the disabled at about the same per person cost as private health insurance takes care of the healthy and working.
Methinks you need to do a bit more research, Medicare and Medicaid are ridiculously more expensive than private insurance, first off Medicare is underwater on an annualized operating basis thus it continuously drives up federal cumulative operating deficits (which entails debt services cost that are continually compounded upon themselves), secondly because of artificial prices controls it shifts the burden of product and service delivery onto the backs of those paying for private insurance (TANSTAFL); Private market premiums are higher because we have to make up for the shortfall in payouts for health care provider product and service delivery, we also have to pay for the fact that federal programs shift the ADMINISTRATIVE burden onto health care providers to the point where it requires up to 4 administrative staff just to support 1 doctor that accepts government run insurance (which explains why we're seeing an exodus of providers from government run insurance). Lastly the fact that we have a system that is buffet style means that there is no disincentive for over-consumption, thus supply is squeezed by what is essentially limitless demand and prices of products and services are artificially inflated further.

Medicare also offers very limited patient coverage choice, on Medicare I cannot al carte choose the exact coverage I want and need, I have to take what's offered which is grossly inefficient and wasteful. Personally I do not want government involved in my health care AT ALL since I'm perfectly capable of determining my own insurance needs, evaluating the competency of providers and deciding how to spend my own money and I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the citizenry is capable of doing the same thing.

Once you get government completely out the health care business and allow for healthy market competition you'll have the necessary ingredients for costs to fall and for quality and supply to rise, at which point fixed subsidies for the poor and the elderly to purchase insurance in the private market will be affordable and provide superior quality and choice.

"In the economic sphere an act, a habit, an institution, a law produces not only one effect, but a series of effects. Of these effects, the first alone is immediate; it appears simultaneously with its cause; it is seen. The other effects emerge only subsequently; they are not seen; we are fortunate if we foresee them." -- Fredric Bastiat

You are barking up the wrong tree hoss. More research? I have worked in the Medicare marketplace for twenty years. I have hundreds of clients. I have help enroll dozens of people on Medicaid. I have conducted countless "spenddowns".

Average spending on health care in the US, per person. $10,345

Average spending per Medicare beneficiary $10,365

Average spending per Medicaid beneficiary $5,790

How is it that the average cost of a Medicare beneficiary, someone who by definition is either elderly, disabled, or both, is the same as the average cost of a healthy working American? Obviously, we are being hosed and it is not the government doing the hosing.

You are barking up the wrong tree hoss. More research? I have worked in the Medicare marketplace for twenty years. I have hundreds of clients. I have help enroll dozens of people on Medicaid. I have conducted countless "spenddowns".
Then how come you seem to completely ignore all the unseen macro economic effects that Medicare inflicts on the general economy? The total costs don't just include the numbers printed on the bill, as I explained they also include all the costs that are shifted as a result of the program AND the resulting declines in quality, availability and choice.

It's completely illogical and runs counter to human experience to expect that eliminating competition and removing the profit motive will result in anything but higher costs, lower quality and reduced supply; putting all the eggs in the government basket does just that. It also explains why the current implementation of our welfare state along with debt service costs will devour the entire federal budget within 30 years if left unchecked, that is if we don't experience a complete collapse of the dollar first because of it.

This conversation is moot, Republicans will NEVER get on board with this.

Methinks you need to do a bit more research, Medicare and Medicaid are ridiculously more expensive than private insurance

This is completely false.

Medicare and Medicaid consistently reimburse providers less than private insurance and have way lower overhead due to economies of scales (and of course absence of multi-million dollar executives and advertisement campaigns).

Methinks you need to do a bit more research, Medicare and Medicaid are ridiculously more expensive than private insurance

Medicare and Medicaid reimburse providers far less than private insurance and have way lower overhead due to economics of scales (and of course absence of multi-million dollar executives).
No shit sherlock, I already said that, unfortunately the fact that because TANSTAFL private market consumers have to make up for those costs through higher premiums.

What, did you think providers were just eating the costs?

Then how come you seem to completely ignore all the unseen macro economic effects that Medicare inflicts on the general economy? The total costs don't just include the numbers printed on the bill, as I explained they also include all the costs that are shifted as a result of the program AND the resulting declines in quality, availability and choice.

It's completely illogical and runs counter to human experience to expect that eliminating competition and removing the profit motive will result in anything but higher costs, lower quality and reduced supply; putting all the eggs in the government basket does just that. It also explains why the current implementation of our welfare state along with debt service costs will devour the entire federal budget within 30 years if left unchecked, that is if we don't experience a complete collapse of the dollar first because of it.

Yeah, sure, insurance companies purposely overpay for services in order to prop up Medicare and Medicaid. Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are both coming by for dinner tonight too. I mean come on, no way in hell the insurance companies would stand for that.

And quality--like I said, I have hundreds of clients and every single one of them is on Medicare or a Medicare advantage plan. To the person, I doubt a single one of them would switch back to their previous insurance given the opportunity.

Lastly, health care is not something free market principles can be applied to. A free market requires EQUALITY between parties. It requires elasticity of demand. There is no "equal consideration" between a patient that is dying and a doctor providing care, nor is there much elasticity of demand. Every other civilized nation in the world has figured this out.

Medicare and Medicaid reimburse providers far less than private insurance and have way lower overhead due to economics of scales (and of course absence of multi-million dollar executives).
No shit sherlock, I already said that, unfortunately the fact that because TANSTAFL private market consumers have to make up for those costs through higher premiums.

If "no shit" then why the fuck would you say it is more expensive? It is not.

It is more expensive if you count the actual costs instead of just looking at the numbers the government publishes, in economics there are seen and unseen effects and both contribute to the final toll, I've already pointed out many of those unseen factors in this thread and you've completely ignored them since they are inconvenient to your strongly held opinions, nevertheless they remain real.

So what would be the incentive for companies to continue having medical insurance as part of their benefits package?

What you are actually talking about id "medicaid for all" not medicare for all.

Exactly. One of the best benefits to the country of Universal Healthcare (Medicare for all) is that it frees up employers to hire more people from the money they're saving not having to cover employees for healthcare!

Der! They get *this close* to the perfect solution and then miss it by *that much*..

UH should be paid for by proportionate cash register taxes on tobacco, booze & sugared goods. The three main killers. In that way, also beautifully, the sick really are paying for their own healthcare in the end.

Ah more sin taxes.

How about you pony up one of your sins to pay for? how about we put more taxes on things like skiing, or boating, or driving that lead to more health costs?

Oh rly?

Medicare for all is not Medicaid for all. And Medicaid recovery is a very rare practice, only a handful of states even participate. It applies only to those over 55 and is only used to recovery the expense of long term care. It cannot be used if there is a surviving spouse, surviving child under 21, or the usual case--any child of any age that is disabled.

Any everyone else gets fucked right?

So someone working all their life to leave something to their kids sees it go away due to the State suing the person's estate...

Asshole.

It is more expensive if you count the actual costs instead of just looking at the numbers the government publishes, in economics there are seen and unseen effects and both contribute to the final toll, I've already pointed out many of those unseen factors in this thread and you've completely ignored them since they are inconvenient to your strongly held opinions, nevertheless they remain real.

The TOLL is REDUCED HEALTHCARE SPENDING.

Medicare/Medicaid have long been driving healthcare costs down. Where Insurance companies put up little resistance to simply pass on provider charges down to consumer, government programs have put on extra pressure on providers to modernize, switch to electronic records, meet meaningful use criteria and get more efficient.

Many countries have single payers systems and while there is certainly something to discuss about quality they do contain costs quite well.

The TOLL is REDUCED HEALTHCARE SPENDING.

Medicare/Medicaid have long been driving healthcare costs down.

You're joking right? Healthcare cost inflation has been accelerating ever since the Federal Government got involved in the market and the more they get involved the more it has accelerated, again you're ignoring all the unseen economic effects and the costs associated with them, at the current rate federal involvement will completely cripple not only the federal budget but also crash the dollar in the process because despite wishful thinking there is a limit to the amount of debt that the federal government can sustain.

It's not surprising that you don't understand this since you actually sited "economies of scale" as a benefit for a system that squeezes supply via artificial price controls and artificially increases demand by removing dis-incentives for over-consumption which is a completely LUDICROUS assertion, what Medicare actually imposes is reverse economies of scale since it inflates demand to the point where capacity can never catch up to it.

Forum List

Back