Homeschooling On The Rise??

I have been following the numbers of homeschoolers.....

1. "Data from the 1999 NHES showed an estimated 850,000 homeschooled students in the United States—about 1.7 percent of the school-age population (Bielick, Chandler, and Broughman 2001). The increase in the homeschooling rate (from 1.7 percent in 1999 to 2.2 percent in 2003 to 2.9 percent in 2007) represents a 74 percent relative increase over the 8-year period and a 36 percent relative increase since 2003."
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009030.pdf

That was published in 2009.

Now this:

2. "In North Carolina, the number of homeschoolers has now surpassed the number of students attending private schools....the homeschooling movement, which has rapidly increased in recent decades.

3. In 1973, there were approximately 13,000 children, ages 5 to 17, being homeschooled in the United States. ... as of the 2011-2012 school year, that number has grown to almost 1.8 million or approximately 3.4 percent of the school age population. Other sources report numbers well over 2 million.

4. In the Tar Heel state alone, homeschooling has increased by 27 percent over the past two years.

5. ....pretty impressive numbers for a movement considered “fringe” not that long ago and that has only been legal in all 50 states since 1996.

6. The Department of Education, which surely isn’t happy with the trend, has tracked the issue since 2003. According to its findings:

• In 2003, 85 percent of parents said they chose homeschooling because of “a concern about the school environment” which included worry about safety, drugs or negative peer pressure. That number jumped to 91 percent by 2011.
  • In 2003, 72 percent said “a desire to provide religious or moral instruction” was a major reason. In 2011, that number had increased to 77 percent.
  • In 2003, 68 percent said “dissatisfaction with academic instruction at other schools” contributed to their decision. By 2011, that was up to 74 percent.
7. ...my guess is when the figures are reported related to the past two years you’ll see the number of parents citing “dissatisfaction with academic instruction” spike with the growing uprising against Common Core and national standards.

8. ....the public education establishment don’t find homeschooling up to their standards. The National Education Association, the country’s largest teacher’s union,declared in a 2011 resolution: “The National Education Association believes that homeschooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience.”

9. ....the actual results from homeschooling. According to Education News:
Recent studies laud homeschoolers’ academic success, noting their significantly higher ACT-Composite scores as high schoolers and higher grade point averages as college students.

10. Yet surprisingly, the average expenditure for the education of a homeschooled child, per year, is $500 to $600, compared to an average expenditure of $10,000 per child, per year, for public school students.
What is not calculated in the cost line above for homeschooling is the time spent by a parent teaching."
In One State More Children Homeschool Than Attend Private Schools.

What is not mentioned, as well, is the decision by homeschool parents to have children more like themselves, rather than the mind-numbed automatons that government schools turn out.

Always intended to home-school my own kids if ever had them (I keep trying but they keep escaping.) ;) Public school shootings, bullying, and poor education being my main reasons. At least until the last few grades where I might be unable to teach at that level. Knowing is one thing, being able to impart knowledge though is a skill.

Th
Home schooling normal involves much lower teacher to student ratios with a much higher ratio of one to one tutoring.

Captain_Obvious.jpg
Then why am I being argued with about the student to teacher ratio?

Is anyone arguing?

I'm only wondering why one would feel the need to bring up the obvious: The ratio is much lower, and adds to the chances of student success in a home-schooled environment opposed to a public school environment.
Don't dither, please. The point is that if public school class sizes were reduced in number, learning would improve. That is the obvious answer.

Th
Home schooling normal involves much lower teacher to student ratios with a much higher ratio of one to one tutoring.

Captain_Obvious.jpg

Is anyone arguing?

I'm only wondering why one would feel the need to bring up the obvious: The ratio is much lower, and adds to the chances of student success in a home-schooled environment opposed to a public school environment.
Don't dither, please. The point is that if public school class sizes were reduced in number, learning would improve. That is the obvious answer.

"Obvious" is often incorrect.

Most often in the case of your posts.

1. Urban parochial schools were serving a growing share of disadvantaged and frequently non-Catholic youngsters. In a study published in 1990, for example, the Rand Corporation found that, of the Catholic school students in these Catholic high schools in New York City, 75 to 90 percent were black or Hispanic.
i. Over 66 percentof the Catholic school graduates received the New York State Regents diploma to signify completion of an academically demanding college preparatory curriculum, while only about 5 percent of the public school students received this distinction;

ii. The Catholic high schools graduated 95 percent of their students each year, while the public schools graduated slightly more 50 percent of their senior class;

iii. The Catholic school students achieved an average combined SAT score of 803, while the public school students' average combined SAT score was 642;

iv. 60 percent of the Catholic school black students scored above the national average for black students on the SAT, and over 70 percent of public school black students scored below the same national average.

« More recent studies confirm these observations. Why Catholic Schools Spell Success For America s Inner-CityChildren

"Classes in Catholic parochial schools tended to be larger than in private schools in general. More than 62 percent of the Catholic parochial schools had an average class size of 25 or more, a substantially higher proportion than private schools overall (36 percent)."
Private Schools in the United States A Statistical Profile 1993-94 Catholic-Parochial Schools
Thanks PC! That graph shows that the average stay at home Mom or Dad is a better Teacher than the average Public School Teacher can EVER be.
This probably because of the ratio of 1 student per teacher. One would probably do as well or better in public school with this ratio.
This makes zero sense
Of course it doesn't to you. You were home schooled.

Do you not understand that, by every metric, homeschooled students are better educated than government school grads?

And.....that leads one to conclude that you were a government school grad.

True?

But public school class sizes are not reduced in number, so learning improves with home-schooling.

Let's attempt to offer REAL WORLD SOLUTIONS rather than examining ridiculous absurdities like pretending public schools will ever have parity with home-schools' teacher to student ratios.

If anyone would really like to dither we could pretend all students were perfectly parented consistently healthy angels with IQ's of 130. Hey, guess what? LEARNING WOULD IMPROVE in public schools regardless of class size!!! This scenario is similarly as stupid as expecting public school teacher to student ratios to approach home-school's ratios.

Last edited:
For a bright guy on education, you evidently cannot critically think, a shame.

Go back and underline your errors.

For a bright guy on education, you evidently cannot critically think, a shame.

Go back and underline your errors.

Try posting something worthy of thought: Noting that,

if public school class sizes were reduced in number, learning would improve
Is not what we call, "worthy," unless you'd also like to share your other stunning observations: The fact that water is wet? Sky is Blue? Do you have a point atop your head?

Yes
Th

Captain_Obvious.jpg

Is anyone arguing?

Try to pay attention. You even agreed with them.

Yes
Th

Captain_Obvious.jpg

Is anyone arguing?

Attention to your pointless blather?

If you ever get a clue about the subject, get back to us.

Until then, please pick up a shiny object at the door to entertain yourself on the way out.

i am t
Yes
Th

Captain_Obvious.jpg

Is anyone arguing?

Until then, please pick up a shiny object at the door to entertain yourself on the way out.
I am probably the most experienced person on the thread as far as education is concerned. Do not know what you are going on about. Guess the drugs are good. Good on ya fella.

i am t
Yes
Th

Is anyone arguing?

I am probably the most experienced person on the thread as far as education is concerned. Do not know what you are going on about. Guess the drugs are good. Good on ya fella.
Then why is your user name, nonukes

W
i am t
Yes
Th

Is anyone arguing?

Why not? It has to do with a series of concerts I was involved with in New Yirk City back in the 70s.

W
i am t
Yes

Why not? It has to do with a series of concerts I was involved with in New Yirk City back in the 70s.
I always think energy, I forget about bombs, and with a music oriented avatar, I should not of missed that.
It had to do with clean energy and not bombs.

W
i am t

I always think energy, I forget about bombs, and with a music oriented avatar, I should not of missed that.
It had to do with clean energy and not bombs.
In the 70;s, right.

The government schools are terribly expensive and horrendous failures. That is clear to some of us.

Who controls education in this country, from K to Ph. D.? The left of course.

Who is owned by the teachers unions? The D party of course.

Who is against school choice? The Left, D party, and p-school teachers and their unions.

Who demonizes home schooling? The same leftists groups.

Home schooling is a great option for many parents. You get to control all the information your children are subjected to and they don't have to go to school with negroes or poor people

Home schooling is a great option for many parents. You get to control all the information your children are subjected to and they don't have to go to school with negroes or poor people

More demonizing and racism from a leftist fool.

More demonizing and racism from a leftist fool.

Lets cut to the chase..

Homeschool parents declare....I am such a great parent, I homeschool my child because I want my child to receive the best education possible

In reality, they homeschool because they are afraid their child may be exposed to ideas the parents don't support and "God forbid" they are exposed to negroes, gays, hispanics, poor kids, atheists and even worse......liberals

Forum List

Back