Homeschooling On The Rise??

Homeschool parents get to control every aspect of their childs life. What they learn, who they can interact with, what they are exposed to

Little Jimmies friends are carefully selected for him. He has no free time where he can interact with children of his choice or hear ideas that his parents don't suppport.

The local school is filled with negroes, hispanics, jews, atheists and poor kids. They are a bad influence on little Jimmy

That is why Jimmy is home schooled

Apparently, you were not encouraged as a child to interact with others who hold opinions different from your own, or to dispassionately consume and process information about them. IOW, you're validating the opinions of many parents who choose to homeschool their children. Why would parents want their children to endure ridicule from kids who talk like you write?

I interacted with many children and many teachers who had different opinions. I dealt with kids of different races, nationalities, religions, economic stature. I interacted with kids from throughout the US. I also dealt with bullies, racists, druggies, jocks, nerds, homosexuals, liberals, conservatives, atheists and fundamentalists

I learned to take in information from a wide range of sources and form my own opinions

Home school kids don't get that opportunity

Another fabrication.

Why anyone would think it is better to stuff a kid into a room with 30 other kids whose highest priority is to be anywhere but there and a teacher whose highest priority is to make all of them sit still and be quiet for an hour is beyond me.

It is not 30 other kids...it is hundreds

You get to interact with kids from different areas, different views, different goals

Just the experience of riding on a school bus is worth the price of admission

Homeschool parents get to control every aspect of their childs life. What they learn, who they can interact with, what they are exposed to

Little Jimmies friends are carefully selected for him. He has no free time where he can interact with children of his choice or hear ideas that his parents don't suppport.

The local school is filled with negroes, hispanics, jews, atheists and poor kids. They are a bad influence on little Jimmy

Apparently, you were not encouraged as a child to interact with others who hold opinions different from your own, or to dispassionately consume and process information about them. IOW, you're validating the opinions of many parents who choose to homeschool their children. Why would parents want their children to endure ridicule from kids who talk like you write?

I interacted with many children and many teachers who had different opinions. I dealt with kids of different races, nationalities, religions, economic stature. I interacted with kids from throughout the US. I also dealt with bullies, racists, druggies, jocks, nerds, homosexuals, liberals, conservatives, atheists and fundamentalists

I learned to take in information from a wide range of sources and form my own opinions

Another fabrication.

Today's home schooled kids can join co-ops, play sports, go to social events and dances, travel with their families and see the world that's beyond the walls of the government school classroom. Why anyone would think it is superior to stuff a kid into a room with 30 other kids and a teacher whose highest priority is to make all of them sit still and be quiet for an hour is beyond me.

You are correct.

As a member of several home school groups, we use many trips, co-ops, talent shows, science fairs, etc.

You are correct.
As a member of several home school groups, we use many trips, co-ops, talent shows, science fairs, etc.

I rest my case

Total BS. Home schooled kids are in co-ops, get to travel and see things that government schooled kids don't, because their families can pack up and go whenever they want to and take school with them. They don't get bullied at school, they don't see their class mates or teachers get assaulted at school, they don't have peer pressure pushing them into sexual or drug experimentation at school.

You post like someone who never learned how to interact in an adult world, with respect for his/her peers. Again, why would parents want their children to be harassed by kids with attitudes like yours? Until home schooled kids stop outperforming government schooled kids by such wide margins, you really have little to complain about.

Yes they do

And their social interactions are carefully monitored by their parents. Being harassed by other children is part of growing up. So is getting in an occasional fight, learning dirty words, learning about sex and hanging out with some kids who would freak your parents out.
It makes you a stronger person. It teaches you how to deal with all kinds of people. Not just those who are carefully screened and selected for you

Wouldn't it be better to teach more kids how to interact respectfully with each other like home schooled kids are?

Home schooled kids get exposed to all that after school hours. Since they don't have to deal with the class clown or a fight in the back row, or the perpetually bored interrupting things, the home schooled kid can literally cover an entire day's worth of material in just a few hours. That leaves a lot of other time for social interaction, and they get it. They play with other kids, they get into scrapes, they learn dirty words and the latest about sex. They just don't get it at school.

Another fabrication.

Why anyone would think it is better to stuff a kid into a room with 30 other kids whose highest priority is to be anywhere but there and a teacher whose highest priority is to make all of them sit still and be quiet for an hour is beyond me.

It's 30 in a class room. And you don't interact with hundreds. You have a handful of friends and interact with them. The rest you see at a distance, but you don't interact with them. You stay in your cliche. That's the way school works.

You get to interact with kids from different areas, different views, different goals

Same with the co-ops.

You get the same experience riding in the chartered bus with your co-op on a field trip.

Let's cut to the chase. We KNOW home schooled kids are better educated. You THINK they are short changed because they don't get bullied at school, or some such. Why don't you post some statistics showing that home schooled kids are at a true disadvantage because of that? While you're at it, take a look at what co-ops are offering today.

Total BS. Home schooled kids are in co-ops, get to travel and see things that government schooled kids don't, because their families can pack up and go whenever they want to and take school with them. They don't get bullied at school, they don't see their class mates or teachers get assaulted at school, they don't have peer pressure pushing them into sexual or drug experimentation at school.

You post like someone who never learned how to interact in an adult world, with respect for his/her peers. Again, why would parents want their children to be harassed by kids with attitudes like yours? Until home schooled kids stop outperforming government schooled kids by such wide margins, you really have little to complain about.

Yes they do

And their social interactions are carefully monitored by their parents. Being harassed by other children is part of growing up. So is getting in an occasional fight, learning dirty words, learning about sex and hanging out with some kids who would freak your parents out.
It makes you a stronger person. It teaches you how to deal with all kinds of people. Not just those who are carefully screened and selected for you

Wouldn't it be better to teach more kids how to interact respectfully with each other like home schooled kids are?

Home schooled kids get exposed to all that after school hours. Since they don't have to deal with the class clown or a fight in the back row, or the perpetually bored interrupting things, the home schooled kid can literally cover an entire day's worth of material in just a few hours. That leaves a lot of other time for social interaction, and they get it. They play with other kids, they get into scrapes, they learn dirty words and the latest about sex. They just don't get it at school.

Interact respectfully?

How the fuck are they going to learn how to post on USMB Messageboards?

Another fabrication.

It's 30 in a class room. And you don't interact with hundreds. You have a handful of friends and interact with them. The rest you see at a distance, but you don't interact with them. You stay in your cliche. That's the way school works.

Same with the co-ops.

You get the same experience riding in the chartered bus with your co-op on a field trip.

Let's cut to the chase. We KNOW home schooled kids are better educated. You THINK they are short changed because they don't get bullied at school, or some such. Why don't you post some statistics showing that home schooled kids are at a true disadvantage because of that? While you're at it, take a look at what co-ops are offering today.

Who is in your co-op?

Yes they do

Interact respectfully?

How the fuck are they going to learn how to post on USMB Messageboards?

Rather easily. They'll be the ones everyone respects because they make their points without getting in the mud with the pigs.

Another fabrication.

Same with the co-ops.

Who is in your co-op?

I don't have one. My kids are adults, but during the short time we home schooled them, they were in a co-op with other kids from the surrounding area, IOW the same kids they would have gone to school with.

so is it better to have a child in a classroom setting where they are the only priority for someone that doesn't know the subject and doesn't have teaching skills, or is it better to have them in a larger classroom setting taught by a professional with teaching skills and knowledge?

so is it better to have a child in a classroom setting where they are the only priority for someone that doesn't know the subject and doesn't have teaching skills, or is it better to have them in a larger classroom setting taught by a professional with teaching skills and knowledge?

When we home schooled, the requirement was that one of the parents had to have a college degree. Both my wife and I do. We also used an accredited online curriculum that allowed our kids to upload their assignments to be corrected by teachers with those skills and knowledge.

The proof is in the outcome. Home schooled kids significantly outperform their government schooled counterparts. The parents are obviously getting the job done even if they are not professional teachers.

this is anecdotal but i'll tell the story anyhow. i knew a kid, growing up, quite a bit younger than myself. my family and his attended the same mass, and i volunteered as an assistant sunday school teacher and had him when he was in kindergarten. anyhow, he loved school. absolutely loved it. he was a smart kid, too, and his parents were involved. he also had an older sister, also smart, but for some reason their mother was a bit... off. she seemed to want to find conditions and problems with her kids, who were for all accounts normal.
anyhow, long story short, his mother wound up taking her kids out of the public schools and home schooling them because the school would not be as accommodating as she demanded for her special children. so not knowing this, i asked this now 2nd grade aged kid how school was going after mass one day, and he broke down in tears because he didn't get to go to school any more.

as time went on i'm sure he adjusted, and his mother was always pointing out to anyone who would listen how smart he was. he was always smart, though. homeschooling had nothing to do with it. it just took him away from the school, teachers, and friends that he loved.

When we home schooled, the requirement was that one of the parents had to have a college degree. Both my wife and I do. We also used an accredited online curriculum that allowed our kids to upload their assignments to be corrected by teachers with those skills and knowledge.

The proof is in the outcome. Home schooled kids significantly outperform their government schooled counterparts. The parents are obviously getting the job done even if they are not professional teachers.
what proof of that is there?

Yes they do

We certainly CAN'T allow parents the right to monitor or control their children's education, in the socialist shit hole you so desire...just as was and is done in ALL totalitarian societies.

After all, it takes a village to raise a child. In your case, the village raised an idiot.

We certainly CAN'T allow parents the right to monitor or control their children's education, in the socialist shit hole you so desire...just as was and is done in ALL totalitarian societies.

After all, it takes a village to raise a child. In your case, the village raised an idiot.
are parents of public school kids not allowed to teach, work with, or discuss education with their own children now?

are parents of public school kids not allowed to teach, work with, or discuss education with their own children now?

Why would you ask such a dumb question?

Are you seriously playing ignorant here and pretending you really don't know?

this is anecdotal but i'll tell the story anyhow. i knew a kid, growing up, quite a bit younger than myself. my family and his attended the same mass, and i volunteered as an assistant sunday school teacher and had him when he was in kindergarten. anyhow, he loved school. absolutely loved it. he was a smart kid, too, and his parents were involved. he also had an older sister, also smart, but for some reason their mother was a bit... off. she seemed to want to find conditions and problems with her kids, who were for all accounts normal.
anyhow, long story short, his mother wound up taking her kids out of the public schools and home schooling them because the school would not be as accommodating as she demanded for her special children. so not knowing this, i asked this now 2nd grade aged kid how school was going after mass one day, and he broke down in tears because he didn't get to go to school any more.

as time went on i'm sure he adjusted, and his mother was always pointing out to anyone who would listen how smart he was. he was always smart, though. homeschooling had nothing to do with it. it just took him away from the school, teachers, and friends that he loved.

For every one of those, there are more that absolutely hated school and couldn't wait to get out. The government school model is, "One size fits all", and kids are expected to just sit down and shut up. If a kid is bored and very active or easily distracted, there's a pill for that. If one of them has Aspbergers and is extremely bright but can't handle a lot of peripheral stimuli, there's a special ed class for that, where they're dumped and not expected to learn anything.

Another fabrication.

Today's home schooled kids can join co-ops, play sports, go to social events and dances, travel with their families and see the world that's beyond the walls of the government school classroom. Why anyone would think it is superior to stuff a kid into a room with 30 other kids and a teacher whose highest priority is to make all of them sit still and be quiet for an hour is beyond me.

You are correct.

You are correct.

I rest my case

And

I find that frequently you attempt to engage in a discussion about which you have zero knowledge.

This post of yours certainly qualifies as such.

Are you seriously playing ignorant here and pretending you really don't know?
if there's proof i haven't seen it. can you provide it?

Here's just one place to start. Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College Study Finds

Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers -- 66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent -- and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009.

They're also better socialized than most high school students, says Joe Kelly, anauthor and parenting expert who home-schooled his twin daughters.

"I know that sounds counterintuitive because they're not around dozens or hundreds of other kids every day, but I would argue that's why they're better socialized," Kelly says. "Many home-schoolers play on athletic teams, but they're also interactive with students of different ages."

Home-schooled students often spend less time in class, Kelly says, giving them more opportunity to get out into the world and engage with adults and teens alike.

"The socialization thing is really a nonissue for most home schoolers," he says. "They're getting a lot of it."

Forum List

Back