Homeschooling On The Rise??

And
I find that frequently you attempt to engage in a discussion about which you have zero knowledge.

This post of yours certainly qualifies as such.
i find you frequently like to copy and paste a bunch of stuff that doesn't really relate, like when you copied and pasted about the classroom size of catholic private schools versus other private schools when talking about public school
does the study show correlation or causation?

Read it for yourself so you can draw your own conclusions.
i believe it's showing correlation, not causation.
in no way does the study account for parents that have attended college, how far from home a student attends school, the economic background of the student, or even degrees pursued.

in other words i can see that at first glance it would make someone believe that homeschooled kids are doing better in college because of their homeschooling, but i just don't see the study supporting homeschooling as the cause.

All it shows is that homeschoolers do better than the average student

It does not show whether homeschool students would have performed worse (or as well or better) in a public school

Irrelevant. To make that claim plausible, you have to accept the idea that rural students are generally superior in intellect than urban students. I don't accept that.

It has nothing to do with urban or rural and everything to do with parental involvement. Those with strong parental involvement will do better than average regardless of whether they are homeschooled or not

It does not show whether homeschool students would have performed worse (or as well or better) in a public school

Data shows that homeschooled kids learned what they needed to learn to do well on the test that generated the data.

The test is given to measure learning.

Homeschooled kids score higher on the test: they learn more.

What's the problem? You have a problem with kids learning more?
the problem is claiming that they score better because they were homeschooled. that may or may not be the case, but it hasn't been proven here that the cause of better performance is homeschooling.

Like I said before, find a study that concludes the cause of their superior performance is NOT home schooling and we'll discuss it. I find it amusing that we are supposed to believe on the one hand that ignorant, poorly educated parents are attempting to home school their kids and doing a bad job of it, while on the other hand, the home schooled kids are superior in some way to the ones trapped in failing government schools.
parental involvement, socio-economic situation, family stability...
i think those all play a role in a kid's education for a start.
what homeschool proponents like to do is pretend that none of that stuff matters and that the only thing that does is the choice to homeschool, and that the child wouldn't have done well in the public school system.

Data shows that homeschooled kids learned what they needed to learn to do well on the test that generated the data.

the problem is claiming that they score better because they were homeschooled. that may or may not be the case, but it hasn't been proven here that the cause of better performance is homeschooling.

Like I said before, find a study that concludes the cause of their superior performance is NOT home schooling and we'll discuss it. I find it amusing that we are supposed to believe on the one hand that ignorant, poorly educated parents are attempting to home school their kids and doing a bad job of it, while on the other hand, the home schooled kids are superior in some way to the ones trapped in failing government schools.

Can you see why our Leftist pals will never accept your conclusion?

If they did, the only proper response by government would be vouchers.....and then where would the Democrat Party be?

Funny thing about that. Black and Hispanic Americans, both staunch democrat voting blocs, strongly support vouchers and school choice, yet the democrat party spits on them for doing so. Kinda Stockholm Syndrome there.

Let's add this to the mix:

"The California Federation of Teachers (CFT)passed a resolution at its most recent convention claiming that “the continued unjustincarceration of Mumia Abu-Jamalrepresents a threat to thecivil rightsof all people.” Thirty years ago, Abu-Jamal took away Philadelphia policeman Daniel Faulkner’s foremost civil right: his life. How obtuse of the CFT to disregard “the threat to the civil rights of all people” represented by someone capable of gunning down a man tasked with protecting the public.

The pantheon of leftist saints includes the Haymarket Square bombers, responsible for the deaths of eight Chicago cops, Joe Hill, murderer of former police officer John Morrison in Salt Lake City, Huey Newton, murderer of Oakland policeman John Frey, and Leonard Peltier, murderer of FBI agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams. Notice a pattern?"
Teachers' Mumia Abu-Jamal Resolution Out of Sync Morally and Historically | Human Events

i find you frequently like to copy and paste a bunch of stuff that doesn't really relate, like when you copied and pasted about the classroom size of catholic private schools versus other private schools when talking about public school
does the study show correlation or causation?

in no way does the study account for parents that have attended college, how far from home a student attends school, the economic background of the student, or even degrees pursued.

in other words i can see that at first glance it would make someone believe that homeschooled kids are doing better in college because of their homeschooling, but i just don't see the study supporting homeschooling as the cause.

Irrelevant. To make that claim plausible, you have to accept the idea that rural students are generally superior in intellect than urban students. I don't accept that.

It has nothing to do with urban or rural and everything to do with parental involvement. Those with strong parental involvement will do better than average regardless of whether they are homeschooled or not

And those same parents have judged the government school system to be inadequate for their children and have decided to give them the kind of flexible learning environment that works best for them.

If they did, the only proper response by government would be vouchers.....and then where would the Democrat Party be?

Funny thing about that. Black and Hispanic Americans, both staunch democrat voting blocs, strongly support vouchers and school choice, yet the democrat party spits on them for doing so. Kinda Stockholm Syndrome there.

"The California Federation of Teachers (CFT)passed a resolution at its most recent convention claiming that “the continued unjustincarceration of Mumia Abu-Jamalrepresents a threat to thecivil rightsof all people.” Thirty years ago, Abu-Jamal took away Philadelphia policeman Daniel Faulkner’s foremost civil right: his life. How obtuse of the CFT to disregard “the threat to the civil rights of all people” represented by someone capable of gunning down a man tasked with protecting the public.

The pantheon of leftist saints includes the Haymarket Square bombers, responsible for the deaths of eight Chicago cops, Joe Hill, murderer of former police officer John Morrison in Salt Lake City, Huey Newton, murderer of Oakland policeman John Frey, and Leonard Peltier, murderer of FBI agents Jack Coler and Ronald Williams. Notice a pattern?"
Teachers' Mumia Abu-Jamal Resolution Out of Sync Morally and Historically | Human Events

WTF does that cut and paste have to do with Home Schooling?

And those same parents have judged the government school system to be inadequate for their children and have decided to give them the kind of flexible learning environment that works best for them.

Good for them

The problem for whom?

The kids? How?

The "problem" about claiming kids score better home-schooled seems to be mainly that there is no argument you can find to refute the fact.

Regardless, what does it matter? The kids score well. They stay at home, and require fewer public resources. Sounds like a Win-Win.

parental involvement, socio-economic situation, family stability...
i think those all play a role in a kid's education for a start.
what homeschool proponents like to do is pretend that none of that stuff matters and that the only thing that does is the choice to homeschool, and that the child wouldn't have done well in the public school system.

And I counter with personal experience. My son, who at the time was suffering from an emotional disorder, could not handle the stress of the classroom, and was failing. The school wanted to classify him as "special needs" and was ready to put him on the short bus. We home schooled him with an accredited curriculum as I described before and he was an A student. The school failed him. My grandson, diagnosed with Aspbergers, couldn't handle the excess stimuli of the normal classroom. Again, the school wanted to flunk him into "special needs" and ignore him. This time we found an alternative private education that WORKS FOR HIM, not for the school system. That's the bottom line. The school system is more about forcing kids to sit still and be quiet than it is about teaching them anything.

Good for them

Right, so home schooling has to remain a viable option for parents who need an alternative to the failed American education system or simply want to give their kids a broader, richer, more complete education.

WTF does that cut and paste have to do with Home Schooling?

Teacher's Unions....after Trial Lawyers....the best friends of the Democrat Party.

And the best friend of teacher's unions....killers of police.

No...I have a problem with your conclusions

A homeschooled kid with educated parents who are involved in his education will perform better than average whether he is homeschooled or in a public school

Your point assumes that the public school environment is as ideal as home.

A vast assumption.

You may have attended public school. Can you honestly say you preferred being at school to being at home? Given a survey, do you believe most kids would choose to be in school, or stay at home?

Even if I join you in an alternative parallel universe where kids would rather stay at school where there is no bullying, no disorder, no distractions, everyone is drinking bubble-up and eating rainbow stew: your point doesn't preclude the superiority of home schooling as a benefit to kids who simply like it, and as a public service in that it is a less costly alternative.

Well, they have parents who are willing to do a LOT of hard work educating them. I'd say that's a far superior tool than what a lot of government schooled kids have.

So parents are "tools."

:banned:

I believe you've breached the TOS!!

Where's a Mod when you need one: PUT DOWN YOUR FREAKIN DONUTS, and GET OFF "BIGBOOTY.COM" !!!

Good for them

Right, so home schooling has to remain a viable option for parents for who need an alternative to the failed American education system or simply want to give their kids a broader, richer, more complete education.
For those children who have problems interacting with other children, I have no problem with home school. Let mommy protect them

A homeschooled kid with educated parents who are involved in his education will perform better than average whether he is homeschooled or in a public school

A vast assumption.

You may have attended public school. Can you honestly say you preferred being at school to being at home? Given a survey, do you believe most kids would choose to be in school, or stay at home?

Even if I join you in an alternative parallel universe where kids would rather stay at school where there is no bullying, no disorder, no distractions, everyone is drinking bubble-up and eating rainbow stew: your point doesn't preclude the superiority of home schooling as a benefit to kids who simply like it, and as a public service in that it is a less costly alternative.
I vastly preferred being at school to being at home

Good for them

Right, so home schooling has to remain a viable option for parents for who need an alternative to the failed American education system or simply want to give their kids a broader, richer, more complete education.
For those children who have problems interacting with other children, I have no problem with home school. Let mommy protect them

Sadly, Public School Teachers may not have the Same Choice
classroom-management.png

Wow. I thought that was hilliarious (sic). Hate it when a joke falls flat.

Did I understand correctly that you find the most numerous supporters of the Democrat Party, championing a cop killer, a joke?
Hilarious?

And, if so...if the Chamber of Commerce had a press release crowing about how wonderful the slaying of Martin Luther King, Jr. had been......you'd find that hilarious as well?

A vast assumption.

I vastly preferred being at school to being at home

So you think EVERYONE preferred being at school?

What about pulling wings off flies?

Good for them

Post unnecessary...I knew what a tough guy you are by your sportin' that 4-finger "Thug 4 Life" ring.

But....really....ditch the 'Hello, Kitty" backpack.

Forum List

Back