Homeschooling On The Rise??

All it shows is that homeschoolers do better than the average student

It does not show whether homeschool students would have performed worse (or as well or better) in a public school

Data shows that homeschooled kids learned what they needed to learn to do well on the test that generated the data.

The test is given to measure learning.

Homeschooled kids score higher on the test: they learn more.

What's the problem? You have a problem with kids learning more?

No...I have a problem with your conclusions

A homeschooled kid with educated parents who are involved in his education will perform better than average whether he is homeschooled or in a public school

Your point assumes that the public school environment is as ideal as home.

A vast assumption.

You may have attended public school. Can you honestly say you preferred being at school to being at home? Given a survey, do you believe most kids would choose to be in school, or stay at home?

Even if I join you in an alternative parallel universe where kids would rather stay at school where there is no bullying, no disorder, no distractions, everyone is drinking bubble-up and eating rainbow stew: your point doesn't preclude the superiority of home schooling as a benefit to kids who simply like it, and as a public service in that it is a less costly alternative.
I vastly preferred being at school to being at home

So you think EVERYONE preferred being at school?

What about pulling wings off flies?

The left wing, or the right wing?...I could never decide...

It does not show whether homeschool students would have performed worse (or as well or better) in a public school

Data shows that homeschooled kids learned what they needed to learn to do well on the test that generated the data.

A homeschooled kid with educated parents who are involved in his education will perform better than average whether he is homeschooled or in a public school

A vast assumption.

You may have attended public school. Can you honestly say you preferred being at school to being at home? Given a survey, do you believe most kids would choose to be in school, or stay at home?

Even if I join you in an alternative parallel universe where kids would rather stay at school where there is no bullying, no disorder, no distractions, everyone is drinking bubble-up and eating rainbow stew: your point doesn't preclude the superiority of home schooling as a benefit to kids who simply like it, and as a public service in that it is a less costly alternative.

Therein lies the government school's opposition. Every child they cannot warehouse in the classroom means less money to the school he/she would have had to attend.

Irrelevant. To make that claim plausible, you have to accept the idea that rural students are generally superior in intellect than urban students. I don't accept that.

It has nothing to do with urban or rural and everything to do with parental involvement. Those with strong parental involvement will do better than average regardless of whether they are homeschooled or not

And those same parents have judged the government school system to be inadequate for their children and have decided to give them the kind of flexible learning environment that works best for them.

Good for them

Right, so home schooling has to remain a viable option for parents for who need an alternative to the failed American education system or simply want to give their kids a broader, richer, more complete education.
For those children who have problems interacting with other children, I have no problem with home school. Let mommy protect them

Interacting with other kids is not the issue. Many kids do not learn well if they are forced to sit down and shut up. Most kids will learn better if they have at most one or two classmates and can get their teacher's sole attention. Your antipathy toward other people's life choices is interesting.

A vast assumption.

Really? You enjoyed strangers having total control over your life? You enjoyed someone telling you when you can eat, what you can eat, when you can go to the bathroom, even in some cases what you can wear, etc? That's odd.

Let's see. You mock and impugn other people's life choices, even when they result in superior outcomes, you prefer being under the total control of strangers to freedom. You must be a democrat.

Well, they have parents who are willing to do a LOT of hard work educating them. I'd say that's a far superior tool than what a lot of government schooled kids have.

So parents are "tools."

:banned:

I believe you've breached the TOS!!

Where's a Mod when you need one: PUT DOWN YOUR FREAKIN DONUTS, and GET OFF "BIGBOOTY.COM" !!!

I can never decide if they're hammers or wrenches.

I agree with allowing people the choice to home school their children. What concerns me is the lack the social interaction. Some parents are going to be good at doing this, and others not so much. It is not easy, and not everyone will have success at homeschooling their children. A lot of those parents end up sending their kids to public schools anyways.

I would really like to see money allocated equally amongst the public schools (instead of going by district), and then all the kids can have a decent chance at an education. :)

Therein lies the government school's opposition. Every child they cannot warehouse in the classroom means less money to the school he/she would have had to attend.

No. it means they need to find another way to justify spending.

We can always be confident Government Will Overcome Any Obstacle to This End.

In reality, they homeschool because they are afraid their child may be exposed to ideas the parents don't support and "God forbid" they are exposed to negroes, gays, hispanics, poor kids, atheists and even worse......liberals

More illogical nonsense from yet another mindless, partisan drone... :rolleyes:

I have been following the numbers of homeschoolers.....

1. "Data from the 1999 NHES showed an estimated 850,000 homeschooled students in the United States—about 1.7 percent of the school-age population (Bielick, Chandler, and Broughman 2001). The increase in the homeschooling rate (from 1.7 percent in 1999 to 2.2 percent in 2003 to 2.9 percent in 2007) represents a 74 percent relative increase over the 8-year period and a 36 percent relative increase since 2003."
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2009/2009030.pdf

That was published in 2009.

Now this:

2. "In North Carolina, the number of homeschoolers has now surpassed the number of students attending private schools....the homeschooling movement, which has rapidly increased in recent decades.

3. In 1973, there were approximately 13,000 children, ages 5 to 17, being homeschooled in the United States. ... as of the 2011-2012 school year, that number has grown to almost 1.8 million or approximately 3.4 percent of the school age population. Other sources report numbers well over 2 million.

4. In the Tar Heel state alone, homeschooling has increased by 27 percent over the past two years.

5. ....pretty impressive numbers for a movement considered “fringe” not that long ago and that has only been legal in all 50 states since 1996.

6. The Department of Education, which surely isn’t happy with the trend, has tracked the issue since 2003. According to its findings:

• In 2003, 85 percent of parents said they chose homeschooling because of “a concern about the school environment” which included worry about safety, drugs or negative peer pressure. That number jumped to 91 percent by 2011.
  • In 2003, 72 percent said “a desire to provide religious or moral instruction” was a major reason. In 2011, that number had increased to 77 percent.
  • In 2003, 68 percent said “dissatisfaction with academic instruction at other schools” contributed to their decision. By 2011, that was up to 74 percent.
7. ...my guess is when the figures are reported related to the past two years you’ll see the number of parents citing “dissatisfaction with academic instruction” spike with the growing uprising against Common Core and national standards.

8. ....the public education establishment don’t find homeschooling up to their standards. The National Education Association, the country’s largest teacher’s union,declared in a 2011 resolution: “The National Education Association believes that homeschooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience.”

9. ....the actual results from homeschooling. According to Education News:
Recent studies laud homeschoolers’ academic success, noting their significantly higher ACT-Composite scores as high schoolers and higher grade point averages as college students.

10. Yet surprisingly, the average expenditure for the education of a homeschooled child, per year, is $500 to $600, compared to an average expenditure of $10,000 per child, per year, for public school students.
What is not calculated in the cost line above for homeschooling is the time spent by a parent teaching."
In One State More Children Homeschool Than Attend Private Schools.

What is not mentioned, as well, is the decision by homeschool parents to have children more like themselves, rather than the mind-numbed automatons that government schools turn out.
Given some of the things my daughter has described to me about the schools in NC, this isn't a surprise. One of the reasons I'm moving down the NC to live with my family is in order to home school my granddaughters. If the schools have deteriorated to the level she's described, any responsible parent who cares about their children and the education they receive will make every effort to home school their children.

You don't need Public Schools to learn Social Skills in fact, I'd say Public Schools just mess kids up. After school I participated in Sports and Social Clubs with NO affiliation to Public Schools and I did just fine. So did Millions of other kids.
There are lots of homeschooling cooperatives that not only provide children with social interaction, but allow parents to supplement areas they might be weak in by "exchanging" teaching skills.

This "story" of abused home schoolers with no social skills as been going on for a long time and I don't believe it. Stupid Americans need to stop protecting a failed organization. If WalMart sold a sh*tty product you'd be returning it the same day but if yer kid fails tests you say nothing. Not a f*ckin' thing.

Who wins the Scrips Spelling Bees every year? It aint the kid from PS 128 in Noo Yawk. (No offense intended PC)
Agreed. All home schooled kids I have met have regular social interactions with other kids through sports, music lessons and other events their parents see to it they are involved in. I am SO impressed with the kids and their manners and grace. They were born unto some dedicated and unselfish parents.
Very true. Homeschooling takes personal commitment and dedication that too many parents have abdicated to the public schools.

there are good resources out there now, i don't disagree. but again, there's no reason those resources couldn't be used with kids in public schools to supplement or enhance their education.
I can think of two: Teachers wouldn't understand it.
Teachers Unions.

Also, are you admitting that Public School needs "Supplementation or Enhancement?". It ISN'T Perfect?
you don't know many teachers, do you?
i'm saying that all parents need to be involved in the education of their children, and that if as a parent you are completely giving that responsibility over to the schools than you are a failure as a parent, no question.

But not all parents are involved, are they? So what's the result? Public school teachers are overtaxed trying to accommodate those children whose parents are little more than sperm/egg donors. Teachers are also often hobbled by government mandated curriculum that has little to do with education and much more to do with social engineering and PC bullshit. The end result is, if you want your children educated, i.e. capable of reading comprehension, critical thinking, basic mathematic computation, and having a minimal understanding of social studies, you do it yourself. Public schools teach to the lowest common denominator and do not demand excellence.

Lack of social interaction is libspeak for refusal to use drugs.

Social interaction:

"Kindergarten teacher suspended after two of her students, aged five, are caught 'having sex' in school bathroom"
Kids five found having sex in kindergarten bathroom by teacher now facing the axe Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
and you're choosing to blame that on the teacher rather than the parents of those two students.

do you see my concern for homeschooling now?
I'm not seeing where PC is responsible for suspending this teacher. So, who is blaming the teacher?

For those that are able to homeschool I commend them. The problem is that most families don't make enough money where only 1 personworking makes nearly enough to survive. That happened in the early 80's. Who was prez then? Most working class(the ones the parties throw under the bus to help the rich) can no longer afford 1 person working so who is there to teach? Homeschooling is for the wealthy.
Not necessarily true. My daughter is a stay-at-home mother and wife, managing a household on a military salary. It's not easy, and they have few "extras", but she makes it all work. My daughter has the wisdom to heed my advice that she is far better served raising her children herself, instead of abdicating her parental duties to "care givers". My granddaughters are bright, polite, and a delight to be around. Oh, yeah, they are not "wealthy" by any monetary scale. But...wealth can be measured in many other ways than the bottom line of your checking account.

Don't dither, please. The point is that if public school class sizes were reduced in number, learning would improve. That is the obvious answer.

But public school class sizes are not reduced in number, so learning improves with home-schooling.

Let's attempt to offer REAL WORLD SOLUTIONS rather than examining ridiculous absurdities like pretending public schools will ever have parity with home-schools' teacher to student ratios.

If anyone would really like to dither we could pretend all students were perfectly parented consistently healthy angels with IQ's of 130. Hey, guess what? LEARNING WOULD IMPROVE in public schools regardless of class size!!! This scenario is similarly as stupid as expecting public school teacher to student ratios t
Home schooling is a great option for many parents. You get to control all the information your children are subjected to and they don't have to go to school with negroes or poor people

More demonizing and racism from a leftist fool.

Lets cut to the chase..

Homeschool parents declare....I am such a great parent, I homeschool my child because I want my child to receive the best education possible

In reality, they homeschool because they are afraid their child may be exposed to ideas the parents don't support and "God forbid" they are exposed to negroes, gays, hispanics, poor kids, atheists and even worse......liberals

o approach home-school's ratios.
Homeschooling improves the educational outcome more due to the personal involvement of the "teachers" involved. If teachers were left to their own devices, to use their talents, many would be surprised at the outcome for public school students. I know many teachers. One of the reasons I teach at the University and not in K-12 public schools is because my students have a vested interest in their educational outcome.

Home schooling is a great option for many parents. You get to control all the information your children are subjected to and they don't have to go to school with negroes or poor people

More demonizing and racism from a leftist fool.

Lets cut to the chase..

Homeschool parents declare....I am such a great parent, I homeschool my child because I want my child to receive the best education possible

And you are an absolute, obtusely ignorant moron who has paid NO attention. While I agree that some people who homeschool have religious objections to what is presented in public schools and labeled as "educational", many, many more parents are concerned that their children learn to think and not feel.

Homeschool parents get to control every aspect of their childs life. What they learn, who they can interact with, what they are exposed to

Little Jimmies friends are carefully selected for him. He has no free time where he can interact with children of his choice or hear ideas that his parents don't suppport.

The local school is filled with negroes, hispanics, jews, atheists and poor kids. They are a bad influence on little Jimmy

That is why Jimmy is home schooled
You have a problem that little Jimmie's friends are not gang-bangers, drug abusers, or of otherwise undesirable character?

Homeschool parents get to control every aspect of their childs life. What they learn, who they can interact with, what they are exposed to

Little Jimmies friends are carefully selected for him. He has no free time where he can interact with children of his choice or hear ideas that his parents don't suppport.

The local school is filled with negroes, hispanics, jews, atheists and poor kids. They are a bad influence on little Jimmy

Apparently, you were not encouraged as a child to interact with others who hold opinions different from your own, or to dispassionately consume and process information about them. IOW, you're validating the opinions of many parents who choose to homeschool their children. Why would parents want their children to endure ridicule from kids who talk like you write?

I interacted with many children and many teachers who had different opinions. I dealt with kids of different races, nationalities, religions, economic stature. I interacted with kids from throughout the US. I also dealt with bullies, racists, druggies, jocks, nerds, homosexuals, liberals, conservatives, atheists and fundamentalists

I learned to take in information from a wide range of sources and form my own opinions

Home school kids don't get that opportunity[/QUOTE]
That statement alone clearly illustrates your abject ignorance on the subject and renders any subsequent opinion you might issue on the subject irrelevant. Thanks.

Apparently, you were not encouraged as a child to interact with others who hold opinions different from your own, or to dispassionately consume and process information about them. IOW, you're validating the opinions of many parents who choose to homeschool their children. Why would parents want their children to endure ridicule from kids who talk like you write?

I interacted with many children and many teachers who had different opinions. I dealt with kids of different races, nationalities, religions, economic stature. I interacted with kids from throughout the US. I also dealt with bullies, racists, druggies, jocks, nerds, homosexuals, liberals, conservatives, atheists and fundamentalists

I learned to take in information from a wide range of sources and form my own opinions

Home school kids don't get that opportunity

Another fabrication.

Why anyone would think it is better to stuff a kid into a room with 30 other kids whose highest priority is to be anywhere but there and a teacher whose highest priority is to make all of them sit still and be quiet for an hour is beyond me.

It is not 30 other kids...it is hundreds

You get to interact with kids from different areas, different views, different goals

Just the experience of riding on a school bus is worth the price of admission
So, an eight grade student soliciting you (a sixth grader who has no clue what he's talking about) for a hand or blow job is great! Then the same fucktard bully tells you to close your legs when the bus passes a dead skunk and he smacks you in the back of your head when you fail to respond to his taunting. But it's all OK, you've moved as close to the bus driver as you can and told him about what has happened, as you have been told to, and the driver tells you, "too bad, I only drive the bus". Then the school does nothing but "investigate", leaving this piece of shit, sexual pervert child on the bus...hell, I guess to the libtard mind that "admission" is worth the price. Your are one sick piece of shit...

A vast assumption.

That speaks volumes about your home.

Forum List

Back