🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Hostility Toward Religion: The Source

Religions have cool goals like eternal life, being in heaven with your buddies, inner peace, etc. I still haven't heard what kind of goals that the secularists are shooting for.

I'm shooting for an understanding of the physical universe. That's it. Everything beyond that is just pretentious navel-gazing.

Simply put, I don't care about gods, philosophy, -isms, purposes, or anything else along those lines. I just want to know what makes the universe tick.

Religions have cool goals like eternal life, being in heaven with your buddies, inner peace, etc. I still haven't heard what kind of goals that the secularists are shooting for.

I'm shooting for an understanding of the physical universe. That's it. Everything beyond that is just pretentious navel-gazing.

Simply put, I don't care about gods, philosophy, -isms, purposes, or anything else along those lines. I just want to know what makes the universe tick.

Why? You'll be dead one day like all of us. Your quest for the answers to science are no more valuable than man's quest for purpose.

At least a philosopher has a purpose. Your quest is as irrelevant as could be.

Why? Curiosity.

I suppose there is some vanity on my part in knowing that some paper I publish will add to the sum total of human understanding and the hope that someone long after I am dead and gone will use my work to do something incredible. It's a form of immortality in some ways. But I really don't pay any mind to philosophers or religions. They can work their side of the street and I'll work mine.

Is religion.

Arrogant theists, hostile to the rights of others, who seek to codify subjective religious dogma into secular law, have only themselves to blame when those adversely effected by religious arrogance and overreach respond to protect their civil liberties and reject the arrogance common to many theists.

Why? Curiosity.

I suppose there is some vanity on my part in knowing that some paper I publish will add to the sum total of human understanding and the hope that someone long after I am dead and gone will use my work to do something incredible. It's a form of immortality in some ways. But I really don't pay any mind to philosophers or religions. They can work their side of the street and I'll work mine.

ah yes---the vanity of secularism. Hey being famous is a worthy goal huh ?

....traced to Progressive and Liberal institutions that persuade the most malleable.....

Joe has an IQ of 125 and Moe has an IQ of 100. Which of these statements would you expect to be true?
*Joe works for a living and creates wealth, while Moe is a university professor.
*Joe is politically conservative, while Moe is still waiting for Obama to lower the sea levels.
*Joe is married with three children, while Moe lives with his mom, smokes a lot of dope, and has sex with his students.
And the correct answer is, “All of the above.”

of course, persuasion is the enemy of religion, just ask Joe.

You are full of it. Your goal is to criminalize being human and your entire hope for heaven with your buddies comes after the destruction of everyone you don't like as if the very people who take the time and trouble to alert you to the fact that you have lost your mind in childish superstitious fantasies are evil and hated by God.

.... and even if there is truth to be found in the teachings of the bible, and there is, Christians by and large have absolutely no clue as to what the truth is, and are themselves the subject of lost souls in hells keeping.

I can't speak for atheists, but I read the bible, see people worshiping that which is not God die and immediately descend into the netherworld, some never to return, and I believe.

Last edited:
Why? Curiosity.

ah yes---the vanity of secularism. Hey being famous is a worthy goal huh ?

I'm agnostic. I have no data for the supernatural either way. It simply isn't a factor in my life.

I'm not even really interested in fame, so much as knowing that I will add something to the total sum of humanity's ability to understand the world around us.

Why? Curiosity.

Why not work both sides of the street? Or do you believe man is nothing more than a machine that manufactures manure? No, not that, you want to be immortal.

You are seeking a philosophical gratification through science. This way you can satisfy your human nature for understanding purpose, without bending so low to get into the cesspool with the rubes of religion. You can stay with the intellectuals, so you think. But you are kidding yourself, my friend.

Why? Curiosity.

Why not work both sides of the street? Or do you believe man is nothing more than a machine that manufactures manure? No, not that, you want to be immortal.

You are seeking a philosophical gratification through science. This way you can satisfy your human nature for understanding purpose, without bending so low to get into the cesspool with the rubes of religion. You can stay with the intellectuals, so you think. But
you are kidding yourself, my friend.

You assume too much. I'm not looking for purpose. I'm looking to explain how the world functions, not why.

Why? Curiosity.

You are seeking a philosophical gratification through science. This way you can satisfy your human nature for understanding purpose, without bending so low to get into the cesspool with the rubes of religion. You can stay with the intellectuals, so you think. But

You assume too much. I'm not looking for purpose. I'm looking to explain how the world functions, not why.

You mentioned "immortality", not me. You are looking for purpose, otherwise the the function is irrelevant. Why do something "incredible" unless you want to be remembered in the future? Why be remembered, unless your life had some purpose?

You are kidding yourself.

....traced to Progressive and Liberal institutions that persuade the most malleable.....

Joe has an IQ of 125 and Moe has an IQ of 100. Which of these statements would you expect to be true?
*Joe works for a living and creates wealth, while Moe is a university professor.
*Joe is politically conservative, while Moe is still waiting for Obama to lower the sea levels.
*Joe is married with three children, while Moe lives with his mom, smokes a lot of dope, and has sex with his students.

of course, persuasion is the enemy of religion, just ask Joe.

So glad you returned this to the point: universities engineer said hostility toward religion.

7. "Leftism is so pervasive, that if applied to any other way of looking at life, it would be widely recognized as a form of brainwashing! Image a person who attended only fundamental Christian schools from preschool through graduate school, who never saw a secular, let alone anti-Christian, film, and who only read religious books. Most would say that they had been ‘brainwashed.” Yet, we regularly find individuals who only attended secular liberal schools from preschool through college, watched or listened to only Left-of-center television, movies, music, and had essentially no exposure to religious or conservative ideas. Brainwashed?

Of course not! Liberals are open-minded!!! The irony here is that the denial itself shows how very effective the brainwashing has been.

Now, Christians or Jews who have rarely been exposed to secular ideas and values would readily acknowledge same. It is only those on the Left who fool themselves into believing that they have been exposed to all points of view."
Dennis Prager

8. "Universities have become to Liberalism what a Christian seminary is to Christianity. The difference is that Christian seminaries acknowledge their purpose, to produce committed Christians."
Ibid.

9.And, from the OP: “The purpose of a university should be to make a son as unlike his father as possible.” The University's Part in Political Life” (13 March 1909) in PWW (The Papers of Woodrow Wilson) 19:99.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not looking for immortality. Papers I publish will be the only thing I leave behind an I'm not doing it for some self-aggrandizement or need to say "I was here" but it's neat to think that 10,000 years from now my work will still live on and still be useful to scientists and engineers. If I can see further, it's because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants and someday someone will stand on my shoulders and see just a wee bit further than before.

It sure as shit beats a headstone engraved with a bit of doggerel from some mythological text.

The source of hostility towards religion? Muslims, of course. They hate all other religions and we hate them.

I'm not looking for immortality. Papers I publish will be the only thing I leave behind an I'm not doing it for some self-aggrandizement or need to say "I was here" but it's neat to think that 10,000 years from now my work will still live on and still be useful to scientists and engineers. If I can see further, it's because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants and someday someone will stand on my shoulders and see just a wee bit further than before.

It sure as shit beats a headstone engraved with a bit of doggerel from some mythological text.

I said this already in a previous post. You want immortality (anonymous or otherwise), because life has a purpose, but you are too arrogant to get down with the bible thumpers.

You seek what everyone seeks, but you think you can skate around the edges through science. You are lying to yourself and hostile toward people of faith.

Last edited:

God.

Why? Curiosity.

What do you hope to obtain by understanding how the world functions, Steven? What is it that you are trying to figure out? What is your motive? Have you thought about it?

Forum List

Back