🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Hostility Toward Religion: The Source

I'm not looking for immortality. Papers I publish will be the only thing I leave behind an I'm not doing it for some self-aggrandizement or need to say "I was here" but it's neat to think that 10,000 years from now my work will still live on and still be useful to scientists and engineers. If I can see further, it's because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants and someday someone will stand on my shoulders and see just a wee bit further than before.

It sure as shit beats a headstone engraved with a bit of doggerel from some mythological text.

I said this already in a previous post. You want immortality (anonymous or otherwise), because life has a purpose, but you are too arrogant to get down with the bible thumpers.

You seek what everyone seeks, but you think you can skate around the edges through science. You are lying to yourself and hostile toward people of faith.

Considering that everything Steven R has, including his exceptional intelligence, his ability to think, to reason, has been given to him by God, what would he have to be arrogant about?

What part did Steven R have in the creation of Steven R? And if Steven R had no part in his own creation then how could he take credit for any tools he has been given for the time he is here on earth to try and figure it out?

If someone determines in their heart that there is no God and God is the key to all of their answers how long do you suppose they might be searching for the answers to the universe?

Religions have cool goals like eternal life, being in heaven with your buddies, inner peace, etc. I still haven't heard what kind of goals that the secularists are shooting for.

I'm shooting for an understanding of the physical universe. That's it. Everything beyond that is just pretentious navel-gazing.

Simply put, I don't care about gods, philosophy, -isms, purposes, or anything else along those lines. I just want to know what makes the universe tick.

God.

Mathematics and physics.

I'm not looking for immortality. Papers I publish will be the only thing I leave behind an I'm not doing it for some self-aggrandizement or need to say "I was here" but it's neat to think that 10,000 years from now my work will still live on and still be useful to scientists and engineers. If I can see further, it's because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants and someday someone will stand on my shoulders and see just a wee bit further than before.

It sure as shit beats a headstone engraved with a bit of doggerel from some mythological text.

Hey--you want some lasting recognition. Be proud of your goal.

The source of hostility towards religion? Muslims, of course. They hate all other religions and we hate them.

I do not hate Muslims. I hate what some of them are doing but I do not hate Muslims.

You hate "some" Muslims. Thanks for the update. :lol:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I know sometimes I have to read something two or three times before I get it. Read what I said again, BillyP.

I said I hate what some of them are doing - their actions - not them. I despise the actions of communists but I do not hate them as people - I wish to see all men saved. Not "some". Jesus didn't shed his blood on the cross for "some people". He shed his blood on the cross and died for the sins of all people. That would include you, me, anyone reading. Jesus did not come into the world to condemn it but to save it.

So let's let God answer Steven R by His Own Word.

1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."

Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

1:17-25 Paul had been bred up in Jewish learning; but the plain preaching of a crucified Jesus, was more powerful than all the oratory and philosophy of the heathen world. This is the sum and substance of the gospel. Christ crucified is the foundation of all our hopes, the fountain of all our joys. And by his death we live. The preaching of salvation for lost sinners by the sufferings and death of the Son of God, if explained and faithfully applied, appears foolishness to those in the way to destruction. The sensual, the covetous, the proud, and ambitious, alike see that the gospel opposes their favourite pursuits. But those who receive the gospel, and are enlightened by the Spirit of God, see more of God's wisdom and power in the doctrine of Christ crucified, than in all his other works. God left a great part of the world to follow the dictates of man's boasted reason, and the event has shown that human wisdom is folly, and is unable to find or retain the knowledge of God as the Creator. It pleased him, by the foolishness of preaching, to save them that believe. By the foolishness of preaching; not by what could justly be called foolish preaching. But the thing preached was foolishness to wordly-wise men. The gospel ever was, and ever will be, foolishness to all in the road to destruction. The message of Christ, plainly delivered, ever has been a sure touchstone by which men may learn what road they are travelling. But the despised doctrine of salvation by faith in a crucified Saviour, God in human nature, purchasing the church with his own blood, to save multitudes, even all that believe, from ignorance, delusion, and vice, has been blessed in every age. And the weakest instruments God uses, are stronger in their effects, than the strongest men can use. Not that there is foolishness or weakness in God, but what men consider as such, overcomes all their admired wisdom and strength.

Last edited:
I do not hate Muslims. I hate what some of them are doing but I do not hate Muslims.

You hate "some" Muslims. Thanks for the update. :lol:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I know sometimes I have to read something two or three times before I get it. Read what I said again, BillyP.

I said I hate what some of them are doing - their actions - not them. I despise the actions of communists but I do not hate them as people - I wish to see all men saved. Not "some". Jesus didn't shed his blood on the cross for "some people". He shed his blood on the cross and died for the sins of all people. That would include you, me, anyone reading. Jesus did not come into the world to condemn it but to save it.
Some Muslims have it ingrained in them they are so fervent or radical in their beliefs, so you'd have the hate the person. Anyways, Jesus died for our sins so everyone is getting into heaven, the bill's already been paid.

Why not work both sides of the street? Or do you believe man is nothing more than a machine that manufactures manure? No, not that, you want to be immortal.

You are seeking a philosophical gratification through science. This way you can satisfy your human nature for understanding purpose, without bending so low to get into the cesspool with the rubes of religion. You can stay with the intellectuals, so you think. But
you are kidding yourself, my friend.

You assume too much. I'm not looking for purpose. I'm looking to explain how the world functions, not why.

What do you hope to obtain by understanding how the world functions, Steven? What is it that you are trying to figure out? What is your motive? Have you thought about it?

His motive is the same as yours, mine, Aristotle's, Einstein's, etc., to understand the purpose of life. That's why he seeks some form of immortality, so that his life was not lived in futility. Because Steve has a degree of intelligence and is hostile toward religion, he looks for the answer in "how the universe functions". He says the "why" is irrelevant, but that nonsense is the product of hubris. He knows that many devoutly religious people are looked down upon by so-called intellectuals, so he does not want to associated in any way with "mythological tomes and characters".

Steve is fooling only himself. He seeks purpose and immortality, but says those things are trite and silly, because he associates such concepts only with religious or philosophical types. So he seeks the answers in science which he mistakenly thinks is a proper cover, so his fellow science lovers won't laugh at him and will keep inviting him to the Brie and Merlot get-togethers where they talk of atoms and black holes and silly organized religion.

Last edited:
Hatred is a choice. I have a friend who survived Auschwitz death camp, lost family and she never hated a single human being in her entire life. If you choose to hate I cannot change your heart about it. As for me and my household? We will serve the LORD and we will not hate anyone. Hate sin? Absolutely! Hate people? Never. God's arm is not too short to reach the most wretched among us. He saved me so you ought to be a breeze.

Here you are, Steven R. See if you can explain how this was done. Use your mathematics and your laws of gravity or chemistry or whatever it is you use to figure things out. Thank you.

2 Kings 2:21 Then he went out to the spring and threw the salt into it, saying, "This is what the LORD says: 'I have healed this water. Never again will it cause death or make the land unproductive.'"

Context

Elisha Heals Jericho's Waters
…20He said, "Bring me a new jar, and put salt in it." So they brought it to him. 21He went out to the spring of water and threw salt in it and said, "Thus says the LORD, 'I have purified these waters; there shall not be from there death or unfruitfulness any longer.'" 22So the waters have been purified to this day, according to the word of Elisha which he spoke.

Last edited:
Hatred is a choice. I have a friend who survived Auschwitz death camp, lost family and she never hated a single human being in her entire life. If you choose to hate I cannot change your heart about it. As for me and my household? We will serve the LORD and we will not hate anyone. Hate sin? Absolutely! Hate people? Never. God's arm is not too short to reach the most wretched among us. He saved me so you ought to be a breeze.

You already said you hate. Now you,say you don't hate? So which is it? The Muslim religion tells Muslims to kill and you hate that. So,you hate the Muslim religion.

This one might be easier. Explain this one, Steven R.

2 Kings 6:6 The man of God asked, "Where did it fall?" When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it there, and made the iron float.

Context

The Axe Head Floats
…5But as one was felling a beam, the axe head fell into the water; and he cried out and said, "Alas, my master! For it was borrowed." 6Then the man of God said, "Where did it fall?" And when he showed him the place, he cut off a stick and threw it in there, and made the iron float. 7He said, "Take it up for yourself." So he put out his hand and took it.

Last edited:
Here you are, Steven R. See if you can explain how this was done. Use your mathematics and your laws of gravity or chemistry or whatever it is you use to figure things out. Thank you.

2 Kings 2:21 Then he went out to the spring and threw the salt into it, saying, "This is what the LORD says: 'I have healed this water. Never again will it cause death or make the land unproductive.'"

Context

Elisha Heals Jericho's Waters
…20He said, "Bring me a new jar, and put salt in it." So they brought it to him. 21He went out to the spring of water and threw salt in it and said, "Thus says the LORD, 'I have purified these waters; there shall not be from there death or unfruitfulness any longer.'" 22So the waters have been purified to this day, according to the word of Elisha which he spoke.
He can heal water? :lmao:

You already said you hate. Now you,say you don't hate? So which is it? The Muslim religion tells Muslims to kill and you hate that. So,you hate the Muslim religion.

Please quote me where I said I hated people. You can't. I didn't say that. I feel great mercy and compassion for the Muslim people. I feel no mercy and no compassion for Lucifer and his fallen angels. None whatsoever.

Actually hate is too mild a word for what I've got in me for Lucifer. I utterly DESPISE him. To the UTTERMOST. Does that come across more clear? I certainly hope so. Thanks for the opportunity to set the record straight for you Billy! :eusa_angel:

Please quote me where I said I hated people. You can't. I didn't say that. I feel great mercy and compassion for the Muslim people. I feel no mercy and no compassion for Lucifer and his fallen angels. None whatsoever.

Actually hate is too mild a word for what I've got in me for Lucifer. I utterly DESPISE him. To the UTTERMOST. Does that come across more clear? I certainly hope so. Thanks for the opportunity to set the record straight for you Billy! :eusa_angel:
You said you hate Muslims who do Muslim things, like killing infidels.

Now you hate the devil. But don't worry, nobody goes to hell, Jesus already paid our sin debt by dying on the cross. So no worries.

clingers :eusa_pray: are on the way out. All one has to do is look at the empty pews all across Europe. As long as they have no power in gov't, I can tolerate them I guess.

I never said that, Billy and anyone who reads my posts here can see that for themselves. I never said I hated anyone. You said that. Not me. It appears that you are looking for any argument because you are perhaps having issues concerning your own salvation. Let me clear that up for you right now. Any man who says they love God whom they have not seen and hates their brother whom they have seen does not Love God. Neither do they know Him. God is love.

Satan believes Jesus died on the cross for the sins of mankind but he is still going to be bound up in chains and cast into hell one day. It isn't a matter of whether you believe Jesus is. The demons believe Jesus is. It means nothing.

It is a matter of being born again and that happens by the drawing of the Holy Spirit. Man is first convicted in his heart over his sins. The Holy Spirit was sent into the world by Jesus to convict man of their sin. Do you understand what being convicted means? It means that you see your sin, your wretched state apart from Christ, you feel the weight of your sin and the guilt of it and you feel remorseful, penitent for what you have done.

You realize that you cannot do what is right - that you are by nature a sinner and that you need a new heart, a new nature, a new life which only Christ can offer you through believing on His work at the Cross. That him shedding his blood and by his death on the cross he paid the price for your sins so that you would not have to. So that you could be pardoned and reconciled back to the Father.

Without Jesus going to the cross you could not be reconciled back to God - you are spiritually dead in your sins and trespasses without Jesus Christ.

So it isn't with your mind that you are saved, Billy. It is with your heart. You must believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, rose on the 3rd day and is seated at the right hand of the Father. Romans 10: 8,9 http://biblehub.com/romans/10-9.htm

Conext
The Word Brings Salvation
…8But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART "-- that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.…

Mans problem is a heart problem. Not a mind problem. The heart is exceedingly wicked. Who can know it? Only God knows the heart of a man. God looks upon the heart. Not upon the outer man.

When I listen to Pennywise I know that Gods own heart must be moved greatly with compassion towards him because he is most sincere in his words - they come from his heart. His sincere heart.

Likewise the words coming from you today are coming from your own heart. And they are condemning you to the point that you feel compelled to repeat to me more than once your belief in a salvation that requires nothing of you - which is totally wrong. How can you possibly accept Christ without first realizing your state apart from him? Your need of him? He is not a garment to be put on and taken back off again. You need to rethink your understanding of who Christ is. Read the book of John and learn of who Christ is. Faith cometh by hearing the Word of God. I'll pray for you.

* Say you want to believe, you are sorry for your sins and you desire to be in heaven when you die... you are struggling with small faith, even if you have the faith of a mustard seed God has given you - by faith you can pray that prayer and the LORD will answer. How do I know this? Because the bible says Whosoever calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved. That's how. God is looking for the sincere heart -the bible is clear that a broken and contrite heart God will not despise. He is looking for ways to bring us into His family - not keep us locked outside the door.

http://biblehub.com/psalms/51-17.htm

The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

Last edited:
clingers :eusa_pray: are on the way out. All one has to do is look at the empty pews all across Europe. As long as they have no power in gov't, I can tolerate them I guess.

Voltaire said the same thing and after his death his home became a place where a bible printing press was established I am told. Similar story for the well known atheist Hobbs I believe. So much for such silly predictions. The bible has outlasted all their false predictions of its demise. You should read the bible, Dot Com. It is the Truth and the only book you need.

Last edited:
Here we go again!

PoliticalSpice's "source" is a blogger who used to be an editor and journalist.

According to PoliticalSpice we are supposed to take the word of a single blogger using a single out of context snapshot from a single university course as being the "Source of Hostility Towards Religion"? :cuckoo:

This doesn't even pass the laugh out loud test it is so transparently ludicrous.

:lmao: :rofl:

11. The provenance of the left and the leftist intellectual can be found beginning at the end of the eighteenth century....the French Revolution's misguided attempt to replace religion with reason...science, if you will. Some of it was amusing....such as applying the decimal system to the calendar.

And the antipathy to religion occurred at the same time.

Without a transcendent God to provide the connection with mankind, the agnostic intellectual found in progressive ideology, characterized by the utopia of a perfectly egalitarian society, a substitute god.

Communism could be seen as the only effective enemy of bourgeois society, and being utopian and egalitarian into the bargain, intellectuals moved to the left. That many of them became not merely sympathizers or fellow travelers but Party members, a few even spies for the Soviet Union, testifies to the enormous pull of the rhetoric and ideals of the left upon intellectuals.”
Robert H. Bork, “Slouching Toward Gomorrah,” p. 94

12. Although the aversion to all things relating to religion are regularly seen in communism, consider the reason: From Marx on, the Left has fought against religion because they understood how difficult it is to get religious people to engage in revolution for the purpose of bettering their material lives. Such folks often relegate the material world to lower priority than the spiritual, moral and intellectual world.

Left-wing ideas are predicated on Marx’s materialist view: only material things are real. Therefore, emotions, such as love, are no more than chemistry. And it suggests that it is only genes and environment that determine our actions, and free will plays no role. And, of course, God and religious beliefs are nonsense.
Prager, “Still The Best Hope.”

Forum List

Back