🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

House Bill Would Revoke Washington NFL Team's Trademarks

n-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS-LOGO-large570.jpg

Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.) introduced legislation Tuesday that would revoke trademarks for the Washington NFL team for as long as the franchise keeps its controversial name.

"It is unbelievable to me that, in the 21st century, a prominent NFL franchise is calling itself by a racial slur," Honda said in a statement. "Team names should not be offensive to anyone. Allowing trademark protection of this word is akin to the government approving its use. Removing that trademark will send a clear message that this name is not acceptable."

The bill would officially deem the word "redskins" a disparaging term, making it ineligible for trademark under the Lanham Act. The legislation would retroactively revoke the team's existing trademarks and block new ones using the term. Honda co-sponsored similar legislation in 2013.

More: House Bill Would Revoke Washington NFL Team s Trademarks

Sounds good. However, Republicans will probably vote against the bill.
Sounds like a bill of attainder to me.

You'd think native Americans would be proud to have their imagine on things within our country. ;) As a half breed native myself I am!
As a half breed Iroquois I am not at all insulted. It's an honor.

There is a high school football team composed entirely of Navajo who call themselves the Navajo Redskins. They would also have to change their name and won't be at all happy about it.
having a drop of blood in you does not make you a half breed....

You might want to look up the definition of a "Bill of Attainder", it's unconstitutional and will never see a vote.

Actually, you're looking for the phrase "ex post facto." A bill of attainder is a legislative action declaring a person guilty of a crime. For example, a bill which read "OKTexas is hereby guilty of murder" would be a bill of attainder. The above bill is not a bill of attainder, it is a bill dealing with trademarks. Congress has the power to legislate trademark issues. However, this particular bill would (allegedly, since I haven't actually read the link yet) violate the ex post facto clause. Congress does not have the power to pass retroactive laws.

Actually bill of attainder would apply, I say this because they are essentially making an un-pc name that offends a few individuals a crime and denying property rights associated with that name without due process because there is no process for the copyright office to resend an issued copyright based on hurt feelings.

What if the team name was Washington N-i-g-g-e-r-s or Washington Kikes? Just imagine how quickly that would be changed. Same difference.

Last edited:
IF, as I stated above, the team name was Washington N-i-g-g-e-r-s or Washington Kikes - I can assure you that Congress would find a way to get it changed. Does anyone seriously doubt that?

IF, as I stated above, the team name was Washington N-i-g-g-e-r-s or Washington Kikes - I can assure you that Congress would find a way to get it changed. Does anyone seriously doubt that?

why would anyone have named a team either of those? They actually ARE offensive terms, as opposed to your faux rage over a term that actual indians like being associated with.

Absolute BS , the government does not have the right to revoke a copy write simply because they don't like it.
What will be next? The copy write for Uncle Tom's Cabin? The copy write for Song of the South?
The government should not micro manage to protect the feelings of a few hyper sensitive types.

why would anyone have named a team either of those? They actually ARE offensive terms, as opposed to your faux rage over a term that actual indians like being associated with.

Really? Not according to the poll in my signature.

Really? Not according to the poll in my signature.

LOL the bullshit poll chosen by you?

n-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS-LOGO-large570.jpg

Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.) introduced legislation Tuesday that would revoke trademarks for the Washington NFL team for as long as the franchise keeps its controversial name.

"It is unbelievable to me that, in the 21st century, a prominent NFL franchise is calling itself by a racial slur," Honda said in a statement. "Team names should not be offensive to anyone. Allowing trademark protection of this word is akin to the government approving its use. Removing that trademark will send a clear message that this name is not acceptable."

The bill would officially deem the word "redskins" a disparaging term, making it ineligible for trademark under the Lanham Act. The legislation would retroactively revoke the team's existing trademarks and block new ones using the term. Honda co-sponsored similar legislation in 2013.

More: House Bill Would Revoke Washington NFL Team s Trademarks

Sounds good. However, Republicans will probably vote against the bill.
Freedom of speech?

Not unless leftist approve of it.

mmm, leftist, openly hating the Constitution since 2008

Forum List

Back