House Democrats plan to push for $15 federal minimum wage

C'mon, Lesh. There's nothing dishonest in what I'm asking. I'm trying to sort out whether you've actually put any thought into this, or whether it's just an article of faith. My experience with minimum wage advocates is that it's usually the latter. They kinda-sorta claim that minimum wage laws have a positive effect, yet back off from proposing any meaningful raises.

But minimum wage laws have traditionally been ridiculously low anyway. Because of that, any effects, positive or negative, have been negligible. So negligible that there's no solid evidence one way or another. So why not test your theory? If minimum wage has a net positive effect at $15/hr, do you think it would have a net positive effect at $25/hr? $50/hr? What's the story?

What a bunch of disingenuous bullshit.

You're trying to "appeal to reason" after and while making ridiculous unsupported claims and statements like "why not raise it to $200/hr?"

Get bent.

I don't get why this pisses you off so much. I'm just trying to understand your reasoning on the issue. Is there any? Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to raise it to $200/hr?

And then you admit that minimum wages have always been too low (and somehow that is a reason for NOT raising them)?????

You're the one who seems to think there's a reason for not raising them "too much". But you're afraid to discuss the reason. Why?

C'mon, Lesh. There's nothing dishonest in what I'm asking. I'm trying to sort out whether you've actually put any thought into this, or whether it's just an article of faith. My experience with minimum wage advocates is that it's usually the latter. They kinda-sorta claim that minimum wage laws have a positive effect, yet back off from proposing any meaningful raises.

But minimum wage laws have traditionally been ridiculously low anyway. Because of that, any effects, positive or negative, have been negligible. So negligible that there's no solid evidence one way or another. So why not test your theory? If minimum wage has a net positive effect at $15/hr, do you think it would have a net positive effect at $25/hr? $50/hr? What's the story?

You're trying to "appeal to reason" after and while making ridiculous unsupported claims and statements like "why not raise it to $200/hr?"

Get bent.

And then you admit that minimum wages have always been too low (and somehow that is a reason for NOT raising them)?????

Please go away

But you can't figure out minimum wage is always a zero number.

Get bent.

Please go away

lol. there are no enumerated powers regarding any alleged wars on crime, drugs, and terror.

Get bent.

Please go away

lol. there are no enumerated powers regarding any alleged wars on crime, drugs, and terror.

It's always zero..the lowest you can go..

Get bent.

Please go away

where?

Get bent.

Please go away

where?

Oh I forgot you a pot smoking Mexican who works for $1.85 under the table.

Get bent.

Please go away

where?

Oh, I forgot you are a clueless and Causeless, right winger who knows nothing about economics.

where?

Oh, I forgot you are a clueless and Causeless, right winger who knows nothing about economics.

The word on the street is you sell nickel bags loaded with sand...

Once again the minimum wage is always zero...

where?

The word on the street is you sell nickel bags loaded with sand...

Once again the minimum wage is always zero...
i am working on concentrates, to help my concentration.

Where?

We don't and never had, a free market.

It was never increased enough to matter one way or another.

Listen, if you seriously don't believe there will be any negative repercussions from raising the minimum wage, why settle for something as low as $15/hr. I mean, that's better than ten, but it's still not much. Why not make everyone rich? Why not $200/hr? I'd seriously like to hear your answer. If I saw it the way you do, I sure as fuck wouldn't dick around with $15/hr.
That's a dishonest debate tactic and pretty fucking stupid.

Oxygen is necessary. An atmosphere consisting of 100% oxygen would kill you.

Be gone troll

Yeah, feeling a $15/hr. minimum wage would not have a negative impact is what's pretty fucking stupid.
it would be more positive than negative. only the right wing believes in "stagnant wages" for the bottom line.

And only the left wing doesn't seem to understand economics...dumbass.
better than You.

Great, we've been waiting months for you to dazzle us with your brilliance.

If you work full-time, you should be able to support your family. its called the American dream!
I don't disagree... BUT a Federal minimum wage is totally stupid as one size does not fit all!
FACTS FACTS FACTS!!!
OK... let's use your $15.00 figure raising all the people that work for minimum wage.
Q) How many people do you think work at minimum wage?
A) In 2014, about 1.3 million U.S. workers age 16 and over earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
Another 1.7 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together these workers make up 4 percent of all hourly paid workers. What are the characteristics of minimum wage workers? - UC Davis Center for Poverty Research
FACTS
So let's raise ALL these 3 million people to $15.00/hour.
Remember there were 1.3 million already being paid $7.25! so the additional hourly pay is $7.75 per hour.

So these 1.3 million would get another $7.75/hour and work 2,080 hours per year or a total gross of $20,956,000,000.

Payroll taxes paid by both employer and employee: 12.4% or a total of $2.6 billion additional Federal tax revenue.

Now you do know that these 1.3 million don't pay Federal income taxes and will not on this additional $21 billion...

the ONLY tax revenue will be payroll taxes.

So now let's calculate the remain 1.7 million that are less than $7.25...
Let's assume that figure they currently get paid is $5.00/hr so then get $10.00 more...
1.7 million working 2,080 or additional $35.4 billion in gross wages and at 12.4% payroll taxes an additional $4.4 billion in payroll taxes.

So to answer your really ignorant comment: "The Poor can pay more in taxes and create more in demand with a higher minimum wage
Just in additional payroll taxes the Federal government would get $7 billion a year...
Just enough to pay out 10% of the food stamps:
SNAP benefits cost $70.9 billion in fiscal year 2016
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia

SEE the latest hamburger flipper!!!
Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.
The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

Read more: Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

So like all idiots your ideas will cause people to LOSE their jobs! THANKS Again!

A. Maybe $15/hr is too high

B. Maybe it's not in certain regions

C. Why not have a regional minimum wage tied to COLA and inflation?

These are all worthwhile discussions worthy of reasonable debate.

I have seen none of that thread

A. Maybe $15/hr is too high

B. Maybe it's not in certain regions

C. Why not have a regional minimum wage tied to COLA and inflation?

These are all worthwhile discussions worthy of reasonable debate.

I have seen none of that thread

Will $15 an hour solve poverty?

Please show us someone of note claiming that minimum wage increases are designed to end poverty

That's a dishonest debate tactic and pretty fucking stupid.

Oxygen is necessary. An atmosphere consisting of 100% oxygen would kill you.

Be gone troll

Yeah, feeling a $15/hr. minimum wage would not have a negative impact is what's pretty fucking stupid.
it would be more positive than negative. only the right wing believes in "stagnant wages" for the bottom line.

And only the left wing doesn't seem to understand economics...dumbass.
better than You.

Great, we've been waiting months for you to dazzle us with your brilliance.
Our welfare clause is general not common. We have a commerce clause. We should be making money via public policies.

If you work full-time, you should be able to support your family. its called the American dream!
I don't disagree... BUT a Federal minimum wage is totally stupid as one size does not fit all!
FACTS FACTS FACTS!!!
OK... let's use your $15.00 figure raising all the people that work for minimum wage.
Q) How many people do you think work at minimum wage?
A) In 2014, about 1.3 million U.S. workers age 16 and over earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
Another 1.7 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together these workers make up 4 percent of all hourly paid workers. What are the characteristics of minimum wage workers? - UC Davis Center for Poverty Research
FACTS
So let's raise ALL these 3 million people to $15.00/hour.
Remember there were 1.3 million already being paid $7.25! so the additional hourly pay is $7.75 per hour.

So these 1.3 million would get another $7.75/hour and work 2,080 hours per year or a total gross of $20,956,000,000.

Payroll taxes paid by both employer and employee: 12.4% or a total of $2.6 billion additional Federal tax revenue.

Now you do know that these 1.3 million don't pay Federal income taxes and will not on this additional $21 billion...

the ONLY tax revenue will be payroll taxes.

So now let's calculate the remain 1.7 million that are less than $7.25...
Let's assume that figure they currently get paid is $5.00/hr so then get $10.00 more...
1.7 million working 2,080 or additional $35.4 billion in gross wages and at 12.4% payroll taxes an additional $4.4 billion in payroll taxes.

So to answer your really ignorant comment: "The Poor can pay more in taxes and create more in demand with a higher minimum wage
Just in additional payroll taxes the Federal government would get $7 billion a year...
Just enough to pay out 10% of the food stamps:
SNAP benefits cost $70.9 billion in fiscal year 2016
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia

SEE the latest hamburger flipper!!!
Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.
The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

Read more: Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

So like all idiots your ideas will cause people to LOSE their jobs! THANKS Again!
You omit the savings from people no longer needing social services.

Forum List

Back