House Leadership Suggests New Threshold For Impeachment....

Envoys pushed to oust Ukraine prosecutor before Biden | Financial Times
European and US officials pressed Ukraine to sack Viktor Shokin, the country’s former prosecutor-general, months before Joe Biden, the former US vice-president, personally intervened to force his removal, people involved in the talks said. Mr Biden did not act unilaterally nor did he instigate the push against Mr Shokin, despite suggestions to the contrary by supporters of US president Donald Trump, people familiar with the matter said.
So I call bullshit on the financial times report. There is no rationale' for the US, IMF, nor EU to push for Shokin's removal.
The US State Department commended Shokin's work 6-months earlier.

"During former President Donald Trump's first impeachment trial two years ago, House Democrats alleged that Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin was fired in March 2016 because State officials were widely displeased with his anti-corruption efforts and not because Shokin's office was investigating the Ukrainian gas firm that had given then-Vice President Biden's son Hunter a lucrative job," Just The News wrote.

In a letter dated June 9, 2015, then-Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Victoria Nuland wrote "We have been impressed with the ambitious reform and anti-corruption agenda of your government" in a letter that was delivered to the prosecutor (Shokin).

Republicans admit they have no actual evidence of wrongdoing…….but there is a lot of “smoke”

They just don’t admit that they are the ones creating the smoke
The press is protecting Joe by not reporting the evidence. It's there. Joe will not be the democrat nominee.

So I call bullshit on the financial times report.
The case against Zlochevsky and his Burisma Holdings was assigned to Shokin, then a deputy prosecutor. But Shokin and others weren’t pursuing it, according to the internal reports from the Ukrainian prosecutor’s office reviewed by Bloomberg.

In a December 2014 letter, U.S. officials warned Ukrainian prosecutors of negative consequences for Ukraine over its failure to assist the U.K., which had seized Zlochevsky’s assets, according to the documents.

Those funds, $23.5 million, were unblocked in 2015 when a British court determined there wasn’t enough evidence to justify the continued freeze, in part because Ukrainian prosecutors had failed to provide the necessary information.

No Action​

Shokin became prosecutor general in February 2015. Over the next year, the U.S. and the International Monetary Fund criticized officials for not doing enough to fight corruption in Ukraine.

Shokin took no action to pursue cases against Zlochevsky throughout 2015, said Kasko, who was Shokin’s deputy overseeing international cooperation and helping in asset-recovery investigations. Kasko said he had urged Shokin to pursue the investigations.

The U.S. stepped up its criticism in September 2015, when its ambassador to Ukraine, during a speech, accused officials working under Shokin of “subverting” the U.K. investigation.

The U.S. plan to push for Shokin’s dismissal didn’t initially come from Biden, but rather filtered up from officials at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, according to a person with direct knowledge of the situation. Embassy personnel had called for U.S. loan guarantees to Ukraine to be tied to broader anti-corruption efforts, including Shokin’s dismissal, this person said.

Republicans say if they don’t move forward with an impeachment inquiry now, it will create the impression that House Republicans have essentially cleared Biden of any wrongdoing over his ties to his son Hunter Biden’s business entanglements, allegations they say show a pay-to-play scheme when the elder Biden was vice president, even as they have yet to corroborate that provocative allegation.

But the accusations alone, they say, are worthy of opening up a formal impeachment inquiry, which McCarthy and top Republicans argue would strengthen the House’s oversight power in legal battles to obtain more documents and testimony – potentially from Hunter Biden himself
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/08/politics/house-republicans-impeachment-inquiry-biden/index.html

Accusations, sufficiently oft repeated....

Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from another you been messin' around

@bellhuey
I recall someone once told me that impeachment is not a trial with evidence but simply political. Wouldn't happen to be you, would it?

Kinda like what I would like to see with Trump.
But, with him, it's any yarn that can be spun.
You guys are a strange lot.
Confusing " Yarn " with " spin " or braggadocio.
Yes,Trump seems indifferent to a fault in just using
plain talk w/o almost over the top flamboyant adjectives.
But when it comes to explaining serious stuff like Policy
or Governing he rings true.
Kindly cite a Trump " spin " when it comes to proven
policy or governance.
You are conflating ... " a messenger who spins bogus research
into a vile theology of hatred. "
Virtually a daily theme audaciously practiced by Vile
Democrats and their leftist ilk.

I recall someone once told me that impeachment is not a trial with evidence but simply political. Wouldn't happen to be you, would it?
So you have recall as to a poster but not certain who.
Sounds like someone has been watching too much :
Doctor Who.

Forum List

Back