How Awesome Would the U.S. Economy Be If It Were Set Free from Massive Government Regulations?

Why do Republicans have this need to put their families in danger and live in filth?

How awesome would it be if government had no regulations? Check with the people up at Love Canal. I'm sure that they can tell you.

The Love Canal Tragedy About EPA US EPA

"In the 1920s the seeds of a genuine nightmare were planted. The canal was turned into a municipal and industrial chemical dumpsite.
Landfills can of course be an environmentally acceptable method of hazardous waste disposal, assuming they are properly sited, managed, and regulated. Love Canal will always remain a perfect historical example of how not to run such an operation.
In 1953, the Hooker Chemical Company, then the owners and operators of the property, covered the canal with earth and sold it to the city for one dollar.
It was a bad buy.
In the late '50s, about 100 homes and a school were built at the site. Perhaps it wasn't William T. Love's model city, but it was a solid, working-class community. For a while.
On the first day of August, 1978, the lead paragraph of a front-page story in the New York Times read:
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y.--Twenty five years after the Hooker Chemical Company stopped using the Love Canal here as an industrial dump, 82 different compounds, 11 of them suspected carcinogens, have been percolating upward through the soil, their drum containers rotting and leaching their contents into the backyards and basements of 100 homes and a public school built on the banks of the canal.
In an article prepared for the February, 1978 EPA Journal, I wrote, regarding chemical dumpsites in general, that "even though some of these landfills have been closed down, they may stand like ticking time bombs." Just months later, Love Canal exploded.
The explosion was triggered by a record amount of rainfall. Shortly thereafter, the leaching began.
I visited the canal area at that time. Corroding waste-disposal drums could be seen breaking up through the grounds of bac. Trees and gardens were turning black and dying. One entire swimming pool had been had been popped up from its foundation, afloat now on a small sea of chemicals. Puddles of noxious substances were pointed out to me by the residents. Some of these puddles were in their yards, some were in their basements, others yet were on the school grounds. Everywhere the air had a faint, choking smell. Children returned from play with burns on their hands and faces.
And then there were the birth defects. The New York State Health Department is continuing an investigation into a disturbingly high rate of miscarriages, along with five birth-defect cases detected thus far in the area.
I recall talking with the father of one the children with birth defects. "I heard someone from the press saying that there were only five cases of birth defects here," he told me. "When you go back to your people at EPA, please don't use the phrase 'only five cases.' People must realize that this is a tiny community. Five birth defect cases here is terrifying."
A large percentage of people in Love Canal are also being closely observed because of detected high white-blood-cell counts, a possible precursor of leukemia"kyards

Last edited:
I could finally sell you some tainted meat product...

How long do you think you would remain in business? Selling someone a product you know to be toxic could be considered murder and land you in prison.
worked for the banks....your thread is a fail

Wrong. Everything the banks did was government approved and even government enforced.
Its like I thought you couldn't get this anymore wrong and then you go and prove that you can.

Typical Red Herring. Most regulations have nothing to do with public safety...and a great deal to do with micromanagement/social engineering.

Light bulb ban, anyone?
So tainted meat product can be sold legally since no regulations or product inspection is necessary..currently?

Murder is a crime and inuring people is a crime. Knowingly selling meat that kills people or makes them sick would therefore also be a crime. It's also not a good business decision. Food companies that have sold products that caused sickness or death have gone bankrupt.

The kind of regulations we are discussing here are, for example, the kind that make gasoline canisters totally unusable because of the "safety" mechanism that is now required on the spout. When I have to use such a container, I usually just remove the "safety" cap and dispense from the open container. I purchased a pre-regulation gas can on the internet because I despise the new containers so much.

LMAO. To design the new gas container, an engineer got the job. To build the new gas containers, the company got new business and the plastic provider got a new order. More business.

But the plumber is to fucking stupid to figure out how to open the new gas container.

So it must be the governments fault that the plumber is stupid.

You can't make this shit up.

hey briar patty, next time you fuel up from the open can, have an open flame nearby. OK? That way you will see how gasoline works.

How long do you think you would remain in business? Selling someone a product you know to be toxic could be considered murder and land you in prison.

Long enough to make quite a bit of money and then move on.

Dipshit.

Wrong, moron. Can you provide an example of anyone making money by selling tainted food?

Can't you read dude. Can't you remember the recalls for listeria or other disease causing bacteria that has happened because a company was selling and making money off of tainted product.

Nah, you can't remember that. To much alcohol poisoning for you.

How awesome would it be if government had no regulations? Check with the people up at Love Canal. I'm sure that they can tell you.

"In the 1920s the seeds of a genuine nightmare were planted. The canal was turned into a municipal and industrial chemical dumpsite.
Landfills can of course be an environmentally acceptable method of hazardous waste disposal, assuming they are properly sited, managed, and regulated. Love Canal will always remain a perfect historical example of how not to run such an operation.
In 1953, the Hooker Chemical Company, then the owners and operators of the property, covered the canal with earth and sold it to the city for one dollar.
It was a bad buy.
In the late '50s, about 100 homes and a school were built at the site. Perhaps it wasn't William T. Love's model city, but it was a solid, working-class community. For a while.
On the first day of August, 1978, the lead paragraph of a front-page story in the New York Times read:
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y.--Twenty five years after the Hooker Chemical Company stopped using the Love Canal here as an industrial dump, 82 different compounds, 11 of them suspected carcinogens, have been percolating upward through the soil, their drum containers rotting and leaching their contents into the backyards and basements of 100 homes and a public school built on the banks of the canal.
In an article prepared for the February, 1978 EPA Journal, I wrote, regarding chemical dumpsites in general, that "even though some of these landfills have been closed down, they may stand like ticking time bombs." Just months later, Love Canal exploded.
The explosion was triggered by a record amount of rainfall. Shortly thereafter, the leaching began.
I visited the canal area at that time. Corroding waste-disposal drums could be seen breaking up through the grounds of bac. Trees and gardens were turning black and dying. One entire swimming pool had been had been popped up from its foundation, afloat now on a small sea of chemicals. Puddles of noxious substances were pointed out to me by the residents. Some of these puddles were in their yards, some were in their basements, others yet were on the school grounds. Everywhere the air had a faint, choking smell. Children returned from play with burns on their hands and faces.
And then there were the birth defects. The New York State Health Department is continuing an investigation into a disturbingly high rate of miscarriages, along with five birth-defect cases detected thus far in the area.
I recall talking with the father of one the children with birth defects. "I heard someone from the press saying that there were only five cases of birth defects here," he told me. "When you go back to your people at EPA, please don't use the phrase 'only five cases.' People must realize that this is a tiny community. Five birth defect cases here is terrifying."
A large percentage of people in Love Canal are also being closely observed because of detected high white-blood-cell counts, a possible precursor of leukemia"kyards
A bad deal? It was a deal the government of niagra demanded, the city of niagra wanted to build a school on the property, the city began eminent domain proceedings to seize the land. Hookervexplicitly stated a toxic waste dump was no place for a school.

The city government literally created the toxic waste dump, decades before.

The Love Canal was literally created by government, coincidentally, Occidental chemical owned Hooker, that is Al Gore's Occidental Chemical.

Long enough to make quite a bit of money and then move on.

Dipshit.

Wrong, moron. Can you provide an example of anyone making money by selling tainted food?
2 Executed in China for Selling Tainted Milk
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/asia/25china.html?_r=0

Hello, knock knock. They make money until they are caught.

It was a bad buy.
A bad deal? It was a deal the government of niagra demanded, the city of niagra wanted to build a school on the property, the city began eminent domain proceedings to seize the land. Hookervexplicitly stated a toxic waste dump was no place for a school.

The Love Canal was literally created by government, coincidentally, Occidental chemical owned Hooker, that is Al Gore's Occidental Chemical.

Well, now elec, you really need to make up your mind, then. Did the government fill the canal with toxic chemicals, or did Al Gore fill the canal with toxic chemicals? OR, could it possibly be that the source that I quoted is correct, and the source that you did NOT quote is incorrect?

Typical Red Herring. Most regulations have nothing to do with public safety...and a great deal to do with micromanagement/social engineering.

Light bulb ban, anyone?
So tainted meat product can be sold legally since no regulations or product inspection is necessary..currently?

Murder is a crime and inuring people is a crime. Knowingly selling meat that kills people or makes them sick would therefore also be a crime. It's also not a good business decision. Food companies that have sold products that caused sickness or death have gone bankrupt.

The kind of regulations we are discussing here are, for example, the kind that make gasoline canisters totally unusable because of the "safety" mechanism that is now required on the spout. When I have to use such a container, I usually just remove the "safety" cap and dispense from the open container. I purchased a pre-regulation gas can on the internet because I despise the new containers so much.

LMAO. To design the new gas container, an engineer got the job. To build the new gas containers, the company got new business and the plastic provider got a new order. More business.

But the plumber is to fucking stupid to figure out how to open the new gas container.

So it must be the governments fault that the plumber is stupid.

You can't make this shit up.

hey briar patty, next time you fuel up from the open can, have an open flame nearby. OK? That way you will see how gasoline works.

Ah, the old "break windows to fix the economy" line of logic. Always there for the economically ignorant to latch onto.

Also, I kind of miss lead based paint. Sure, children would swallow paint chips, and put lead based painted toys in the mouths, and yes, lead is toxic, but free enterprise is what really matters. The same applies to gasoline that was sold until a few decades ago which spewed leaded carbon monoxide into the atmosphere. I mean, what was the harm of that?

Then, before the infamous Tylenol poisonings back in the 70's, nobody was required to seal their product container lids. Those were the good old days!

Also, I kind of miss lead based paint. Sure, children would swallow paint chips, and put lead based painted toys in the mouths, and yes, lead is toxic, but free enterprise is what really matters. The same applies to gasoline that was sold until a few decades ago which spewed leaded carbon monoxide into the atmosphere. I mean, what was the harm of that?

Then, before the infamous Tylenol poisonings back in the 70's, nobody was required to seal their product container lids. Those were the good old days!

And again, Argumentum ad absurdum raises its insipid head.

It was a bad buy.

Well, now elec, you really need to make up your mind, then. Did the government fill the canal with toxic chemicals, or did Al Gore fill the canal with toxic chemicals? OR, could it possibly be that the source that I quoted is correct, and the source that you did NOT quote is incorrect?

Do you believe we should have no way to dispose of toxic chemicals? What do you propose to do with them, sell them to China?

The toxic chemicals were in a clay line pit and perfectly safe until the city expropriated the land through eminent domain and built a school on it. The construction company laid a sewer line right through the middle of the clay lined pit.

Only a congenital moron would blame that disaster on Hooker Chemical corp.

Lead based paint was made when people didn't know it was dangerous. Capitalism isn't responsible for every ill in the world simply because they occur in a capitalist country. All these same ills and even worse things occurred in the socialist utopias of communist China and the Soviet Union.

Forum List

Back