🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How do people survive on minimum wage?

Minimum wage isn't designed to be lived on... it's at best a bare minimum, entry level wage.

I think min. wage is and was a terrible idea. However, the reality today is that there are many adults, some with multiple degrees taking these jobs to add to stop gap jobs that pay above the minimum, but still fall far short of their previous earnings. This is part of the reason that teens and twenty something college students are not finding pt or summer employment.

If you're an employer, do you hire the 40 or 50 some year old, with a good work history or the 16 year old kid? First question in mind is why is this person looking at THIS job? If the applicant says, "You may be concerned that as soon as I find full-time employment I'll leave? I won't, it will take time to recover from this episode and right now there's little chance of something coming up that quick. I'll be here on time and work." That's about all it takes, if lucky enough to find a manager that will give an interview for a minimum wage job to someone with multiple degrees, that's the hard part, they tend to dismiss them.

As far as 'insurance being available or not' according to the article. I work at Walgreen's, only about 16 hours during the school year, but close to 40 in summer. Last summer in July, I 'qualified' for insurance, which is very good. BUT it would cost over $200 a month, $1000 individual deductible, then $20 co-pay. I can't afford that, so...

So................

Please finish that thought.

Thanks.

The fact is that a insignificant number of American workers are getting paid minimum wage, 2.2%. The entire premise of this thread is a false narrative that there is a large number of adults struggling to 'survive' on minimum wage. The government's own data, which I have posted numerous times on this thread, proves that of the 2.2% of American workers being paid minimum wage over half are under the age of 21, another 25% work in the food service industry and in reality receive more than minimum wage.

These are facts, so the lie constantly parroted by the left that there is some huge number of American workers being unjustly paid minimum wage and trying to raise a family is horse shit, plain and simple.

The fact is that a insignificant number of American workers are getting paid minimum wage, 2.2%. The entire premise of this thread is a false narrative that there is a large number of adults struggling to 'survive' on minimum wage. The government's own data, which I have posted numerous times on this thread, proves that of the 2.2% of American workers being paid minimum wage over half are under the age of 21, another 25% work in the food service industry and in reality receive more than minimum wage.

These are facts, so the lie constantly parroted by the left that there is some huge number of American workers being unjustly paid minimum wage and trying to raise a family is horse shit, plain and simple.

Hey Google, what percentage of American workers get paid minimum wage?

Your dopey question does not address anything that I said. You think you can score points by asking a question like that, complete with an example drawn from the depths of your rectum, and declare a win because I don't see any point in responding?

Let me state it clearly for you. I believe that Americans are the most industrious and productive people in the world. I believe that this fact has been exploited by a fucked up collaboration between Washington DC and Corporate America that began during the Reagan administration. I believe that people would rather work and be paid a fair wage than sit on their ass and receive subsistence welfare.

Unlike you, I do not believe that a work ethic is all that stands between a poor person and a wealthy person. Being a mildly wealthy person, that would make me an arrogant asshole. Which is what I think you are. Even though I think I couldl buy you a few times over.

Want to answer my questions now?

Arrogant assholes? The ones on this thread repeating the same old tired BS about minimum wages are condescending, arrogant assholes--which I think you are-- that have insulted blue collar workers as incompetent and hopelessly incapable of fending for themselves.

Hey Google, what percentage of American workers get paid minimum wage?

I'm sorry are you illiterate? If you dispute what I'm saying, provide a link and prove me wrong.

If so it destroys the right's argument that it hurts business. So what is the real corporate agenda behind objecting to the minimum wage or any minimum standard for the pay and treatment of labor?

I apologize, that 2.2% figure was under President Bush. The current number is 5.2%--but my entire point is still valid.

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.1 Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.2 Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers. Tables 1 through 10 present data on a wide array of demographic and socioeconomic characteristics for hourly-paid workers earning at or below the Federal minimum wage. The following are some highlights from the 2011 data.

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over. (See table 1 and table 7.)

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

I retract my apology, 5.2% of all hourly paid workers are paid minimum wage--when taking into account the entire workforce that 2.2% number is more accurate.

Last edited:

If so it destroys the right's argument that it hurts business. So what is the real corporate agenda behind objecting to the minimum wage or any minimum standard for the pay and treatment of labor?

What should the minimum wage be, and what would the economic consequence be?

Holy shit. I was hoping you'd repeat that bullshit stat 50 more times.

Itvdoesn't matter anyway. Wages IN GENERAL are too low. Get your head out of your ass and stop apologizing for the wealth hoarding that is ruining our economy.

Itvdoesn't matter anyway. Wages IN GENERAL are too low. Get your head out of your ass and stop apologizing for the wealth hoarding that is ruining our economy.

When were wages fair to you? In what time period would you say American workers were paid an adequate wage?

This is the same tired repeated OWS horse shit--that wealth disparity is worse now then ever before. I was talking to a college professor friend of mine that said this, so I asked when was it better? Was it better in the 60's? "Oh, no it was bad then." How about the 80's? "The decade of greed!?!".

It is a logical fallacy.

BTW I keep repeating the FACTS because I believe they are important in discussing this issue.

You were playing "answer man" so answer the question, man. If it does not effect significant numbers of people then what is the harm in having a minimum wage? It is either a huge burden to be gotten rid of or a minor issue effecting an insignificant number of people, can't have it both ways.

The only thing that is bullshit are your posts. I post facts backed up by government statistics, and it is bullshit to you. :eusa_eh:

Get your head out of your ass.:badgrin:

I apologize, that 2.2% figure was under President Bush. The current number is 5.2%--but my entire point is still valid.

In 2011, 73.9 million American workers age 16 and over were paid at hourly rates, representing 59.1 percent of all wage and salary workers.1 Among those paid by the hour, 1.7 million earned exactly the prevailing Federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 2.2 million had wages below the minimum.2 Together, these 3.8 million workers with wages at or below the Federal minimum made up 5.2 percent of all hourly-paid workers. Tables 1 through 10 present data on a wide array of demographic and socioeconomic characteristics for hourly-paid workers earning at or below the Federal minimum wage. The following are some highlights from the 2011 data.

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over. (See table 1 and table 7.)

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

I retract my apology, 5.2% of all hourly paid workers are paid minimum wage--when taking into account the entire workforce that 2.2% number is more accurate.

PLEASE, "Google", for the love of God, PLEASE stop with all of these "pesky" statistics and facts. :eusa_hand:

You are going to cause leftist heads to collectively EXPLODE! :eek:

You were playing "answer man" so answer the question, man. If it does not effect significant numbers of people then what is the harm in having a minimum wage? It is either a huge burden to be gotten rid of or a minor issue effecting an insignificant number of people, can't have it both ways.

I can have it both ways because I am not advocating for the repeal of the minimum wage. I am answering the question posed in the OP of this thread.

Again, what should the minimum wage be, and what would the economic consequence be?

I worked for less than minimum wage as a young man. Then I went to school, learned a trade and MADE MY OWN LIFE BETTER.

Today's minimum wage is worth 25 to 35 percent less in buying power than it was when you were a young man and the cost of going to school in real dollars has risen by around 500%. We had it easy compared to kids today.

They don't, they can't, I've been saying that for years, more than 75% of those working for minimum wage are adults and minimum wage currently has the lowest spending power in history. In the richest country in the world, the poorest worker should make a living wage.

Then they should develop the skill sets necessary to demand the salary they want, rather than asking government to force people at the end of a gun.

America is REALLY tired of the excuses by you liberals. It's why you've been slaughtered in every single election since Obama took office.

If people are "hoarding" wealth, why don't you get off your lazy, fat ass and do something about it? Start your own company and hire people for six-figures. Just let me know how that works out for you... :lol:

Oh, that's right, liberals don't work. They just bitch and cry and throw self-pity party's all day...

I worked for less than minimum wage as a young man. Then I went to school, learned a trade and MADE MY OWN LIFE BETTER.

Today's minimum wage is worth 25 to 35 percent less in buying power than it was when you were a young man and the cost of going to school in real dollars has risen by around 500%. We had it easy compared to kids today.

Excuses are like assholes - everybody has one and they all stink...

People clearly cannot live on minimum wage so we should therefore outlaw it.

People can't live on chocolate cake, so should we outlaw that?

BriPat -- go eat your dessert.. I think it should be determined by the states. Let's see who's right after a few years of experimentation. After all -- makes no sense arguing over what a catfish eating cat can live on if we don't know WHERE said cat exists.. $7.50 in Alabama needs to be $14.50 or more in Cali or NYC -- if you're gonna "live on it".

We should all just move where it is cheaper to live then?

Seems like that would make it cheaper to live there if the demand goes down in the high cost areas?
Worked pretty well in Detroit is seems.

Forum List

Back