🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How do people survive on minimum wage?

What should the minimum wage be, and what would the economic consequence be?

You were playing "answer man" so answer the question, man. If it does not effect significant numbers of people then what is the harm in having a minimum wage? It is either a huge burden to be gotten rid of or a minor issue effecting an insignificant number of people, can't have it both ways.

I can have it both ways because I am not advocating for the repeal of the minimum wage. I am answering the question posed in the OP of this thread.

Again, what should the minimum wage be, and what would the economic consequence be?

I am not selling the minimum wage as anything more than a hard bottom that makes sweatshops not quite so exploitative, not as an answer to any of the woes of all workers being underpaid for being the most productive workforce on earth. If you want a number as to what it should be then let's look at where it would be had it been pegged to the economy at it purchasing peak in 1968 where it had $10 worth of adjusted buying power, still a practically ruinous return on an hour of labor.

They don't, they can't, I've been saying that for years, more than 75% of those working for minimum wage are adults and minimum wage currently has the lowest spending power in history. In the richest country in the world, the poorest worker should make a living wage.

Then they should develop the skill sets necessary to demand the salary they want, rather than asking government to force people at the end of a gun.

America is REALLY tired of the excuses by you liberals. It's why you've been slaughtered in every single election since Obama took office.

And those skill sets are in health care?
Seems to be one of the few industries we cannot import. Well except for the products used in the health care industry, devices, equipment, drugs, etc.

IT careers used to pay well, but not so much any more.

You were playing "answer man" so answer the question, man. If it does not effect significant numbers of people then what is the harm in having a minimum wage? It is either a huge burden to be gotten rid of or a minor issue effecting an insignificant number of people, can't have it both ways.

I can have it both ways because I am not advocating for the repeal of the minimum wage. I am answering the question posed in the OP of this thread.

Again, what should the minimum wage be, and what would the economic consequence be?

I am not selling the minimum wage as anything more than a hard bottom that makes sweatshops not quite so exploitative, not as an answer to any of the woes of all workers being underpaid for being the most productive workforce on earth. If you want a number as to what it should be then let's look at where it would be had it been pegged to the economy at it purchasing peak in 1968 where it had $10 worth of adjusted buying power, still a practically ruinous return on an hour of labor.

Sweatshops? You have absolutely zero perspective, and show yourself to be a misinformed, ignorant idiot with each post.

Your dopey question does not address anything that I said. You think you can score points by asking a question like that, complete with an example drawn from the depths of your rectum, and declare a win because I don't see any point in responding?

Let me state it clearly for you. I believe that Americans are the most industrious and productive people in the world. I believe that this fact has been exploited by a fucked up collaboration between Washington DC and Corporate America that began during the Reagan administration. I believe that people would rather work and be paid a fair wage than sit on their ass and receive subsistence welfare.

Unlike you, I do not believe that a work ethic is all that stands between a poor person and a wealthy person. Being a mildly wealthy person, that would make me an arrogant asshole. Which is what I think you are. Even though I think I couldl buy you a few times over.

Want to answer my questions now?

You're right - there is more than just work ethic. There is also talent. Work ethic & talent are the only things that "stands between a poor person and a wealthy person". Sadly though, liberals would rather spend their time making excuses rather than making a career.

Holy shit. I was hoping you'd repeat that bullshit stat 50 more times.

Itvdoesn't matter anyway. Wages IN GENERAL are too low. Get your head out of your ass and stop apologizing for the wealth hoarding that is ruining our economy.

and yet I'd bet you argue a plenty about 'outsourced' jobs?

I worked for less than minimum wage as a young man. Then I went to school, learned a trade and MADE MY OWN LIFE BETTER.

Today's minimum wage is worth 25 to 35 percent less in buying power than it was when you were a young man and the cost of going to school in real dollars has risen by around 500%. We had it easy compared to kids today.

The purchasing power of the dollar has decreased, and has every single year since you were a young man.

Now here is the question: what was the minimum wage when you were a young man?

Tell us about when a Coke cost a nickel and how you walked a mile in the snow without shoes or socks :razz:

They don't, they can't, I've been saying that for years, more than 75% of those working for minimum wage are adults and minimum wage currently has the lowest spending power in history. In the richest country in the world, the poorest worker should make a living wage.

Then they should develop the skill sets necessary to demand the salary they want, rather than asking government to force people at the end of a gun.

America is REALLY tired of the excuses by you liberals. It's why you've been slaughtered in every single election since Obama took office.

Seems to be one of the few industries we cannot import. Well except for the products used in the health care industry, devices, equipment, drugs, etc.

Every career pays well if you bring value to an organization. A reality that liberals refuse to acknowledge...

---(They don't they just exist after 3 years they become zombies)----

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

read more How do people survive on minimum wage?- MSN Money

If someone doesn't like getting paid minimum wage, pick up a fucking book and make yourself smarter.

I don't feel any sympathy for anyone who can't find more than a minimum wage job. The vast majority of them are unmotivated and lazy.

Every career pays well if you bring value to an organization. A reality that liberals refuse to acknowledge...

Sure they do. How well does Mcdonalds do if they have no burger slingers? Seems like they are the heart of Mcdonalds making money but they are the lowest paid in the company.
Same for retail clerks, housekeepers in hotels, janitors, etc.

Corporations historicall pay the least to the ones they depend on the most to keep the business running.

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

If someone doesn't like getting paid minimum wage, pick up a fucking book and make yourself smarter.

I don't feel any sympathy for anyone who can't find more than a minimum wage job. The vast majority of them are unmotivated and lazy.

tell that to 50 year olds that had their job outsourced or offshored and lost their insurance.
Virtually no one except minimum wage jobs hires oldsters.
I know lots of people in that situation. People with degrees and decades of experience in IT and Telecom, etc.

I hope you one day find yourself in that situation so you will learn.
It will be the only way you will understand.
Go choke on your bootstraps.

Last edited:

Sweatshops? You have absolutely zero perspective, and show yourself to be a misinformed, ignorant idiot with each post.

Yes sweatshops, we ran most of them offshore with minimum employee standards for a very good reason and with republican attacks on every aspect of fair labor relations I can only conclude that republicans want to return to the conditions that existed before these laws were put in place. Also I was just thinking that you were being pretty civil and you just couldn't hold the act together.

Sure they do. How well does Mcdonalds do if they have no burger slingers? Seems like they are the heart of Mcdonalds making money but they are the lowest paid in the company.

Corporations historicall pay the least to the ones they depend on the most to keep the business running.

Which of course gives you license to treat these workers like shi*, when you deal with them. So noble.

They are obviously paying those "burger slingers" what they are worth or those "burger slingers" would walk out and find another job.

Not to mention the fact that there are endless examples that McDonald's is really proud of where their employees started off "slinging burgers" while taking advantage of their tuition reimbursement employee perk and ended up with successful careers inside and outside of McDonald's.

Which of course gives you license to treat these workers like shi*, when you deal with them. So noble.

Huh? I treat all people nice till I see a reason from them to treat them otherwise.
I am alwasy nice and curteous to the clerks and fast food workers, etc. I always left a tip for the housekeepers in hotels and such.
I have been looked down upon by self righteous assholes for associating with those many consider "low lifes" and such in my life though.
What made you make such an incorrect statement about me treating them like sh%%?
I see nothing I have said that would indicate that I treat them poorly.

Many of my friends have little in life but are fine folks whom I trust. On the other hand having money and things does not automatically make you a person I like to hang out with.

btw I am considered fairly wealthy for my area.

Last edited:

Yes sweatshops, we ran most of them offshore with minimum employee standards for a very good reason and with republican attacks on every aspect of fair labor relations I can only conclude that republicans want to return to the conditions that existed before these laws were put in place. Also I was just thinking that you were being pretty civil and you just couldn't hold the act together.

Comparing the conditions of sweatshops to those of minimum wage jobs, once again the overwhelming majority held of those under the age of 21, is naive and stupid.

Yes, Republicans want to force people to work for pennies, and they want to murder your mother, poison the air and water, force everyone to convert to Christianity--how is anyone supposed to reason with someone that believes the other side literally wants to murder their children? :confused:

tell that to 50 year olds that had their job outsourced or offshored and lost their insurance.
I know lots of people in that situation. People with degrees and decades of experience in IT and Telecom, etc.

That is a God damned lie. Prove it.

Show us all where you are getting this information, because it has been well established on this thread that the majority of the 2.2% American work force that is paid minimum wage is under the age of 21. I have posted several times government data disproving everything you are saying.

Again, those 50 year olds no longer brought value to their organization, or they wouldn't have been let go. Nobody ever outsourced Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Nobody ever outsourced Michael Jordan or Dan Marino. Nobody ever outsourced Jack Nicholson or Al Pacino. I wonder why that is....

It's because those people were talented, which means they brought value to their organizations. Again, an undeniable concept you people just refuse to acknowledge.

And for the record, I'm dead set against off shore outsourcing. It's a criminal act, because it literally circumvents our minimum wage laws. But that being said, anyone who gets outsourced has nobody to blame but themselves. Nobody gets rid of a talented person who brings value to their business. Period.

Huh? I treat all people nice till I see a reason from them to treat them otherwise.
I am alwasy nice and curteous to the clerks and fast food workers, etc. I always left a tip for the housekeepers in hotels and such.
I have been looked down upon by self righteous assholes for associating with those many consider "low lifes" and such in my life though.
What made you make such an incorrect statement about me treating them like sh%%?

Many of my friends have little in life but are fine folks whom I trust. On the other hand having money and things does not automatically make you a person I like to hang out with.

Your assumptions that the lowlifes are ignorant and unmotivated. That they need/desire your benevolence.

Comparing the conditions of sweatshops to those of minimum wage jobs, once again the overwhelming majority held of those under the age of 21, is naive and stupid.

Yes, Republicans want to force people to work for pennies, and they want to murder your mother, poison the air and water, force everyone to convert to Christianity--how is anyone supposed to reason with someone that believes the other side literally wants to murder their children? :confused:

Right wingers do seem to envy many aspects of current China's economic system and lack of worker and environmental protections.

Your assumptions that the lowlifes are ignorant and unmotivated. That they need/desire your benevolence.

Are you operating in a diminshed mental capacity from some ingested substance?
You make no sense at all.

Forum List

Back