How do we know the Bible is true?

Lutroo

May 29, 2016
There have been hundreds of books written on the subject of the evidences of the divine inspiration of the Bible, and these evidences are many and varied. Most people today, unfortunately, have not read any of these books. In fact, few have even read the Bible itself! Thus, many people tend to go along with the popular delusion that the Bible is full of mistakes and is no longer relevant to our modern world.

Nevertheless the Bible writers claimed repeatedly that they were transmitting the very Word of God, infallible and authoritative in the highest degree. This is an amazing thing for any writer to say, and if the forty or so men who wrote the Scriptures were wrong in these claims, then they must have been lying, or insane, or both.

But, on the other hand, if the greatest and most influential book of the ages, containing the most beautiful literature and the most perfect moral code ever devised, was written by deceiving fanatics, then what hope is there for ever finding meaning and purpose in this world?

If one will seriously investigate these Biblical evidences, he will find that their claims of divine inspiration (stated over 3,000 times, in various ways) were amply justified.

Fulfilled Prophecies

The remarkable evidence of fulfilled prophecy is just one case in point. Hundreds of Bible prophecies have been fulfilled, specifically and meticulously, often long after the prophetic writer had passed away.

For example, Daniel the prophet predicted in about 538 BC (Daniel 9:24-27) that Christ would come as Israel's promised Savior and Prince483 years after the Persian emperor would give the Jews authority to rebuild Jerusalem, which was then in ruins. This was clearly and definitely fulfilled, hundreds of years later.

There are extensive prophecies dealing with individual nations and cities and with the course of history in general, all of which have been literally fulfilled. More than 300 prophecies were fulfilled by Christ Himself at His first coming. Other prophecies deal with the spread of Christianity, as well as various false religions, and many other subjects.

There is no other book, ancient or modern, like this. The vague, and usually erroneous, prophecies of people like Jeanne Dixon,Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and others like them are not in the same category at all, and neither are other religious books such as the Koran, the Confucian Analects, and similar religious writings. Only the Bible manifests this remarkable prophetic evidence, and it does so on such a tremendous scale as to render completely absurd any explanation other than divine revelation.

Unique Historical Accuracy

eblatab1b.jpg

Learn more aboutArchaeology and the Bible
The historical accuracy of the Scriptures is likewise in a class by itself, far superior to the written records of Egypt, Assyria, and other early nations. Archeological confirmations of the Biblical record have been almost innumerable in the last century. Dr. Nelson Glueck, probably the greatest modern authority on Israeli archeology, has said:

"No archeological discovery has ever controverted a Biblical reference. Scores of archeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or in exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of Biblical descriptions has often led to amazing discoveries."

Scientific Accuracy

Another striking evidence of divine inspiration is found in the fact that many of the principles of modern science were recorded as facts of nature in the Bible long before scientist confirmed them experimentally. A sampling of these would include:

These are not stated in the technical jargon of modern science, of course, but in terms of the basic world of man's everyday experience; nevertheless, they are completely in accord with the most modern scientific facts.

It is significant also that no real mistake has ever been demonstrated in the Bible—in science, in history, or in any other subject. Many have been claimed, of course, but conservative Bible scholars have always been able to work out reasonable solutions to all such problems.

Unique Structure

The remarkable structure of the Bible should also be stressed. Although it is a collection of 66 books, written by 40 or more different men over a period of 2,000 years, it is clearly one Book, with perfect unity and consistency throughout.

The individual writers, at the time of writing, had no idea that their message was eventually to be incorporated into such a Book, but each nevertheless fits perfectly into place and serves its own unique purpose as a component of the whole. Anyone who diligently studies the Bible will continually find remarkable structural and mathematical patterns woven throughout its fabric, with an intricacy and symmetry incapable of explanation by chance or collusion.

The one consistent theme of the Bible, developing in grandeur from Genesis to Revelation, is God's great work in the creation andredemption of all things, through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Bible’s Unique Effect

The Bible is unique also in terms of its effect on individual men and on the history of nations. It is the all-time best seller, appealing both to hearts and minds, beloved by at least some in every race or nation or tribe to which it has gone, rich or poor, scholar or simple, king or commoner, men of literally every background and walk of life. No other book has ever held such universal appeal nor produced such lasting effects.

One final evidence that the Bible is true is found in the testimony of those who have believed it. Multitudes of people, past and present, have found from personal experience that its promises are true, its counsel is sound, its commands and restrictions are wise, and its wonderful message of salvation meets every need for both time and eternity.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t003.html

There have been hundreds of books written on the subject of the evidences of the divine inspiration of the Bible, and these evidences are many and varied. Most people today, unfortunately, have not read any of these books. In fact, few have even read the Bible itself! Thus, many people tend to go along with the popular delusion that the Bible is full of mistakes and is no longer relevant to our modern world.

Nevertheless the Bible writers claimed repeatedly that they were transmitting the very Word of God, infallible and authoritative in the highest degree. This is an amazing thing for any writer to say, and if the forty or so men who wrote the Scriptures were wrong in these claims, then they must have been lying, or insane, or both.

But, on the other hand, if the greatest and most influential book of the ages, containing the most beautiful literature and the most perfect moral code ever devised, was written by deceiving fanatics, then what hope is there for ever finding meaning and purpose in this world?

If one will seriously investigate these Biblical evidences, he will find that their claims of divine inspiration (stated over 3,000 times, in various ways) were amply justified.

Fulfilled Prophecies

The remarkable evidence of fulfilled prophecy is just one case in point. Hundreds of Bible prophecies have been fulfilled, specifically and meticulously, often long after the prophetic writer had passed away.

For example, Daniel the prophet predicted in about 538 BC (Daniel 9:24-27) that Christ would come as Israel's promised Savior and Prince483 years after the Persian emperor would give the Jews authority to rebuild Jerusalem, which was then in ruins. This was clearly and definitely fulfilled, hundreds of years later.

There are extensive prophecies dealing with individual nations and cities and with the course of history in general, all of which have been literally fulfilled. More than 300 prophecies were fulfilled by Christ Himself at His first coming. Other prophecies deal with the spread of Christianity, as well as various false religions, and many other subjects.

There is no other book, ancient or modern, like this. The vague, and usually erroneous, prophecies of people like Jeanne Dixon,Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, and others like them are not in the same category at all, and neither are other religious books such as the Koran, the Confucian Analects, and similar religious writings. Only the Bible manifests this remarkable prophetic evidence, and it does so on such a tremendous scale as to render completely absurd any explanation other than divine revelation.

Unique Historical Accuracy

eblatab1b.jpg

Learn more aboutArchaeology and the Bible
The historical accuracy of the Scriptures is likewise in a class by itself, far superior to the written records of Egypt, Assyria, and other early nations. Archeological confirmations of the Biblical record have been almost innumerable in the last century. Dr. Nelson Glueck, probably the greatest modern authority on Israeli archeology, has said:

"No archeological discovery has ever controverted a Biblical reference. Scores of archeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or in exact detail historical statements in the Bible. And, by the same token, proper evaluation of Biblical descriptions has often led to amazing discoveries."

Scientific Accuracy

Another striking evidence of divine inspiration is found in the fact that many of the principles of modern science were recorded as facts of nature in the Bible long before scientist confirmed them experimentally. A sampling of these would include:

These are not stated in the technical jargon of modern science, of course, but in terms of the basic world of man's everyday experience; nevertheless, they are completely in accord with the most modern scientific facts.

It is significant also that no real mistake has ever been demonstrated in the Bible—in science, in history, or in any other subject. Many have been claimed, of course, but conservative Bible scholars have always been able to work out reasonable solutions to all such problems.

Unique Structure

The remarkable structure of the Bible should also be stressed. Although it is a collection of 66 books, written by 40 or more different men over a period of 2,000 years, it is clearly one Book, with perfect unity and consistency throughout.

The individual writers, at the time of writing, had no idea that their message was eventually to be incorporated into such a Book, but each nevertheless fits perfectly into place and serves its own unique purpose as a component of the whole. Anyone who diligently studies the Bible will continually find remarkable structural and mathematical patterns woven throughout its fabric, with an intricacy and symmetry incapable of explanation by chance or collusion.

The one consistent theme of the Bible, developing in grandeur from Genesis to Revelation, is God's great work in the creation andredemption of all things, through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Bible’s Unique Effect

The Bible is unique also in terms of its effect on individual men and on the history of nations. It is the all-time best seller, appealing both to hearts and minds, beloved by at least some in every race or nation or tribe to which it has gone, rich or poor, scholar or simple, king or commoner, men of literally every background and walk of life. No other book has ever held such universal appeal nor produced such lasting effects.

One final evidence that the Bible is true is found in the testimony of those who have believed it. Multitudes of people, past and present, have found from personal experience that its promises are true, its counsel is sound, its commands and restrictions are wise, and its wonderful message of salvation meets every need for both time and eternity.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t003.html
The bible is fake. Its a collection of stories with historical facts. Some of the things you called prophesy like that the earth was round was already known to the Egyptians.

the bible is as true as is such textbooks as "Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry"
dull reading.....full of facts......not particularly artistic with some rare
exceptions

You nor I can prove its true or false. That's why they call it faith.

While faith is tantamount, and believing without seeing is preferred, that doesn't do away with the signs we have been given. The miracles that Christ and the disciples worked were used as a sign, for a time.
There are, "I'll prove it to you", moments in the Bible. Tithing is one of those. Of this God actually said, "test me on this." I guarantee you that if you follow the tithing protocol, (charity is not tithing, it is to be done on your way to tithe to a church) you will reap benefits seven fold or beyond.

But one the most important ways God shows us that He is who He says He is, is through prophecy. An ability that man does not possess. 1/4 of the book is exposing future events. And no they are not vague. If you grasp Revelation and Daniel, what you watch unfolding in the world right now, is like a video of what you've read in the Bible.

There is a blessing that goes along with reading Revelation that is not defined. I believe it is the "leg up" in awareness of what is happening, and where it is leading. It is full of signs. For example, the Bible tells us who the next invaders of Israel are going to be. I can tell you the results of that act of war against Israel, and how Israeli victory will achieved, and the weaponry used.

While faith is tantamount, and believing without seeing is preferred, that doesn't do away with the signs we have been given. The miracles that Christ and the disciples worked were used as a sign, for a time.
There are, "I'll prove it to you", moments in the Bible. Tithing is one of those. Of this God actually said, "test me on this." I guarantee you that if you follow the tithing protocol, (charity is not tithing, it is to be done on your way to tithe to a church) you will reap benefits seven fold or beyond.

But one the most important ways God shows us that He is who He says He is, is through prophecy. An ability that man does not possess. 1/4 of the book is exposing future events. And no they are not vague. If you grasp Revelation and Daniel, what you watch unfolding in the world right now, is like a video of what you've read in the Bible.

There is a blessing that goes along with reading Revelation that is not defined. I believe it is the "leg up" in awareness of what is happening, and where it is leading. It is full of signs. For example, the Bible tells us who the next invaders of Israel are going to be. I can tell you the results of that act of war against Israel, and how Israeli victory will achieved, and the weaponry used.
Even tithing is easily explained. Hunters regularly contributed to others of their tribe/group/cave etc. This meat was used to feed those that were in need because they couldnt hunt or were assigned some other vitally important task.

The talking snake is enough to convince me.
That story is another example of how europeans misunderstood and corrupted the religion. How do you take a symbol of rebirth and turn him into the bad guy?

Hello, Lutroo. Glad to see you survived your initiation. :itsok:
And don't worry about Gracie. She has a personal relationship with Christ. And a personal dislike for being told how that relationship should be tailored, is all. Sometimes the cross and a loving Father and prayer to make the connection is sufficient. She knows what Christ did for her, and is thankful. She's just fine.

Glad you are here. Looking forward to your posts, and if you remember to judge not, pray for, and not to argue over doctrine.... it still won't get any easier. :redface: We were never promised easy, ask Paul.
So, Try to avoid this>:meow: and remember the advice my Daddy beat in to my head, "You catch more bees with honey."
Welcome, consider every smart remark an invitation to teach the love of Christ, and enjoy the opportunity to spread the Good News. :smiliehug:

Last edited:

Even tithing is easily explained. Hunters regularly contributed to others of their tribe/group/cave etc. This meat was used to feed those that were in need because they couldnt hunt or were assigned some other vitally important task.

Tithing has nothing to do with gathering for the community. That is a charitable act.
Gathering of first fruits, right off the top of your harvest goes to the Temple as a sacrifice. Right off the top carries over to tithing.
The reason for tithing was if you provide for your priest or preacher, then that frees up more time for the preacher to spend in prayer on your behalf.
Off the top: 10%
The reasoning is this. Everything you have, you have because of God. He requires a 10% return on His investment.
His rule is that you pay Him first, before the bills, before the groceries. When you get your check, or your income, cash it, take 10% and stick it in an envelope so you won't spend it, < (that is theft) and then give it to a church before you get your next check.
Now, if you want a return on your investment, add 25% of your tithe amount to your tithe. If you tithe $1.00 add a quarter to that and tithe $1.25. Your return on that investment will be 7 times greater than your total investment, and usually much more.
Don't believe me? Try it for 6 months and see if God doesn't keep his promises. Tithing out of what you have left after everything else, ends up being I spent the tithe on gas to get to work. All the more reason to bite the bullet and tithe as soon as you get the chance to do so. The sooner you will start receiving the elevation in your financial and other standings.

Last edited:

Tithing has noting to do with gathering for the community. That is a charitable act.
Gathering of first fruits, right off the top of your harvest goes to the Temple as a sacrifice. Right off the top carries over to tithing.
The reason for tithing was if you provide for your priest or preacher, then that frees up more time for the preacher to spend in prayer on your behalf.
Off the top: 10%
The reasoning is this. Everything you have, you have because of God. He requires a 10% return on His investment.
His rule is that you pay Him first, before the bills, before the groceries. When you get your check, or your income, cash it, take 10% and stick it in an envelope so you won't spend it, < (that is theft) and then give it to a church before you get your next check.
Now, if you want a return on your investment, add 25% of your tithe amount to your tithe. If you tithe $1.00 add a quarter to that and tithe $1.25. Your return on that investment will be 7 times greater than your total investment, and usually much more.
Don't believe me? Try it for 6 months and see if God doesn't keep his promises. Tithing out of what you have left after everything else, ends up being I spent the tithe on gas to get to work. All the more reason to bite the bullet and tithe as soon as you get the chance to do so. The sooner you will start receiving the elevation in your financial and other standings.
Obviously you didnt understand my post. People that cant hunt for themselves would be getting charity.

Top 10 Reasons the Bible is True| 397 comments

I've got a good friend who's probably a lot like you. He loves the Bible and does his best to read it and live it every day. There's one problem. Some of his friends say the Bible isn’t true, and he's not always sure how to respond. So I've created a list of the best arguments I can find for the credibility of the Bible. Interested? Okay, here are my Top 10 Reasons the Bible is True. (If I missed any that are important to you, please add them in the comment section below. I'd love to hear from you.)
  1. Manuscript Evidence. There are way more copies of the biblical manuscripts, with remarkable consistency between them, than there are for any of the classics like Plato, Aristotle and Socrates. "There is no body of ancient literature in the world which enjoys such a wealth of good textual attestation as the New Testament." F.F. Bruce, The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  2. Archaeological Evidence. Again and again archaeological discoveries have verified the accuracy of the historical and cultural references in the Bible. The more they dig, the more it confirms the Bible. “It is important to note that Near Eastern archaeology has demonstrated the historical and geographical reliability of the Bible in many important areas.” E.M. Blaiklock, The New International Dictionary of Biblical Archaeology.
  3. Eyewitness Accounts. The Bible was written by people who witnessed the events it describes; many were persecuted or martyred but never changed their story. Would you die for something you knew was untrue? “It is no moderate approbation of Scripture that it has been sealed by the blood of so many witnesses, especially when we reflect that they died to render testimony to the faith …with a firm and constant, yet sober, zeal toward God.” John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion.
  4. Corroborating Accounts. There are plenty of references in non-biblical sources to the events described in the Bible. The Jewish historian Josephus, born in 37 AD, “provide(s) indispensable background material for the student of…New Testament history. In them, we meet many figures well known to us from the New Testament. Some of his writings provide direct commentary on New Testament references.” J.D. Douglas, ed., The New Bible Dictionary.
  5. Literary Consistency. The Bible contains 66 books written over 1,500 years by 40 different writers but it tells one "big story" of God's plan of salvation that culminated in Jesus Christ. You can't even pass a secret around a circle of 12 people and get the same message at the end. “There is indeed a wide variety of human authors and themes (in the Bible). Yet behind these…there lies a single divine author with a single unifying theme.” John R.W. Stott, Understanding the Bible.
  6. Prophetic Consistency. There are over 300 specific prophecies in the Old Testament that are fulfilled in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in the New Testament. “The very dimension of the sheer fulfillment of prophecy of the Old Testament Scriptures should be enough to convince anyone that we are dealing with a supernatural piece of literature….God has himself planted within the scriptures an internal consistency that bears witness that this is his Word.” R.C. Sproul, Now That’s a Good Question.
  7. Expert Scrutiny. The early church had extremely high standards for what books were judged to be authentic and therefore included in the Bible. A book had to have been written by an Apostle or someone in their immediate circle, had to conform to basic Christian faith and had to be in widespread use among many churches. This was a careful process of “the people of God in many different places, coming to recognize what other believers elsewhere found to be true”; these writings were truly God’s word. G.J. Wenham, J.A. Motyer, D.A. Carson and R.T. France, The New Bible Commentary.
  8. Leader Acceptance. A majority of the greatest leaders and thinkers in history have affirmed the truth and impact of the Bible. "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given man. All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to us through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong.” Abraham Lincoln.
  9. Global Influence. The Bible has had a greater influence on the laws, art, ethics, music and literature of world civilization than any other book in history. Can you think of one that even comes close? “Christianity”, as set forth in the Bible “is responsible for a disproportionately large number of the humanitarian advances in the history of civilization—in education, medicine, law, the fine arts, working for human rights and even in the natural sciences….” Craig L. Blomberg, in Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith.
  10. Changed Lives. From St. Augustine to Martin Luther to Joni Eareckson Tada to countless everyday men, women and children, the words of the Bible have transformed lives unmistakably and forever. “As unnamed masses of Christians down through the ages have shown us, the Bible is the most reliable place to turn for finding the key to a life of love and good works.” T.M. Moore, The Case for the Bible.
I hope this list helps you become more confident about the Bible. But don’t forget: whenever you have an opportunity to defend God's Word, be sure to “speak the truth in love” (Eph. 4:15). No one listens to an angry Bible reader. (If I missed any reasons that are important to you, please add them in the comment section below. I'd love to hear from you.)

by Whitney T. Kuniholm

Hello, Lutroo. Glad to see you survived your initiation. :itsok:
And don't worry about Gracie. She has a personal relationship with Christ. And a personal dislike for being told how that relationship should be tailored, is all. Sometimes the cross and a loving Father and prayer to make the connection is sufficient. She knows what Christ did for her, and is thankful. She's just fine.

Glad you are here. Looking forward to your posts, and if you remember to judge not, pray for, and not to argue over doctrine.... it still won't get any easier. :redface: We were never promised easy, ask Paul!
So, Try to avoid this>:meow: and remember the advice my Daddy beat in to my head, "You catch more bees with honey."
Welcome, consider every smart remark an invitation to teach the love of Christ, and enjoy the opportunity to spread the Good News. :smiliehug:
I have a real problem dealing with idiots, in case you hadn't noticed yet. I find it incomprehensible that some people cannot see what is right before their eyes. It makes me less than congenial, on occasion. It is a failing that I constantly struggle with. Sometimes, I just want to crack their skull with a rock...let a little light in. Well, I'm a work in progress. God isn't finished with me yet. Just keep reminding me, will ya? You are a voice of reason, and I value your input into any conversation.

Hebrew prophets were not prophesying events in the far future, but rather in the very near.

IOW, we know the bible is real because the bible says its real.

K.
Thnx
I guess you missed the part about all of those prophecies that came true. You're not doing anything to convince me that my original opinion of you was in any way wrong. In fact, you are reinforcing that opinion.

I gu
IOW, we know the bible is real because the bible says its real.

K.
Thnx
I guess you missed the part about all of those prophecies that came true. You're not doing anything to convince me that my original opinion of you was in any way wrong. In fact, you are reinforcing that opinion.
This fails as a observational selection fallacy, as there is much in the bible which is false and not true – by your ‘reasoning’ that must mean the bible isn’t true.

Forum List

Back