šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night's post-protest violence

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night s post-protest violence - citypaper.com

580x327

City Paper

4:22 a.m. EDT, April 28, 2015

On Saturday night, following the violence that broke out near Camden Yards, a photo of me supposedly protecting a woman from violent protesters surfaced on BuzzFeed and then trickled down to the conservative armpit of the internet where it was mischaracterized. In the photo, I look strangely heroic, and the picture was quickly co-opted by those who like to present an all-too-common and easy narrative: white people being terrorized by black people.

The truth, or as much as I have been able to cobble together from my own memory and notes, videos online, video I shot, and videos from City Paperā€™s Managing Editor Baynard Woods, is far less interesting, though much more important than ā€œwhite dude saves white lady.ā€

Iā€™m not exactly sure how the violence broke out around 6 p.m. in front of Pickles Pub on Washington Boulevard and traveled up the street to The Bullpen, Sliders Bar & Grill, and Frank & Nicā€™s West End Grille then down Howard Street. I know a small group of protesters and a small group of baseball fans started whipping bottles at one another and brawling. When the protesters turned the corner onto Washington Boulevard from Camden Street chanting ā€œblack lives matter,ā€ some baseball fans applauded and a few angrily chanted back, ā€œWe donā€™t careā€ā€”someone who worked at The Bullpen confirmed this for me. He also said that some patrons chanted ā€œrun them over,ā€ and one yelled ā€œgo get them.ā€ Other protestors, including City Paper contributor D. Watkins and gang members interviewed on WBAL, recall bar patrons calling them ā€œ*******,ā€ among other racist epithets.

I donā€™t know who threw something first, but I heard a shift to jeers and boos from the people drinking and ran right over to it and saw beers being tossed from behind a gate that keeps Pickles drinkers from standing in the road and bottles being whipped back at the drinkers. Some people at Pickles stood up and moved toward the protesters though they were protected by the gate. Then, protesters pulled away the gate protecting Pickles customers from the street. Men from Pickles and elsewhere charged toward the protesters and the protesters charged the Pickles customers. It was at this point that I stopped being a journalist and became someone who was trying to help out.

A young woman from the bar threw a stool at me and others, and then affected a ā€œcome at me broā€ stance. At the same time, many protesters were trying to tell the ones who were fighting and throwing things to stop causing trouble and keep moving. Some protesters began to grab bags of peanuts from a small stand and throw them at the people at the bar. The woman who threw the stool got hit in the face with a bag of peanuts and she went down. I helped her back up.

I retreated and noticed another woman from the bar, who earlier had thrown a chair, was now following the group as it moved up Washington Boulevard, pleading with them to stop. I ran up to her and told her to get back. She pushed me away, which is both a reasonable response to someone screaming at you and also a completely bizarre response to someone who is telling you to go inside, youā€™re going to get hurt.

At some point around here, a fight started in front of Sliders. Protesters and bar customers were fighting. The videos show people on both sides who wanted to fight and were excited to fight and embraced the opportunity.

The pleading woman followed the protesters up to the bar Frank & Nicā€™s. She was reaching out at people and yelling. I stopped her from walking toward a protester who was throwing a chair at a window, and thatā€™s when the picture was taken. City Paper contributors Caitlin Goldblatt and Gianna DeCarlo were also talking to the woman at this point and a protester with a big bag and a bottle of vodka that he clearly stole from one of the bars (it has a pourer on it) approached her. Thatā€™s where we got the image of a protester, who was most certainly looting, who looks like heā€™s stealing a purse, but I was there and Iā€™m really not sure if thatā€™s what is happening.

In part, it also seems like it was a failure of security, who didnā€™t stop customers from jeering at the protesters. I was also told by employees at the bars that they had a discussion beforehand about how bad it would be if Oā€™s fans who ā€œevery game, drink way too muchā€ encountered protesters. The protesters who got violent werenā€™t from ā€œout of town,ā€ by the way. Some of their faces were recognizable to me as people who had been with the protests. Here were drunk, angry, white baseball fans and bar-goers who were equally guilty for the violence that happened that night and embraced the chance to fight and provoked some of it, and any accurate narrative must acknowledge that and barely anyone has acknowledged that. If youā€™d like to call Baltimore County whites and Boston Red Sox fans ā€œoutside agitators,ā€ then youā€™ve got your outside agitators.

- See more at: How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night s post-protest violence - citypaper.com

580x388

There is also Video thats about 15 seconds long that shows the incident with the guys coming through the gates confronting people. Why? Because talking about anything black makes them angry

Like this thread will

The protesters had held up traffic to the stadium for over 2 hours sitting in one place. Why did the protesters start that and once finally moved, then went to Camden Yards. Why? At that point I am sure many fans were upset, and then with the anger from the protesters overall, that was a recipe for disaster.
Should the fans have known better? Yes, just as the protesters should have as well.
But it was not the fans that started the fires, and threw rocks at officers.

The city failed in recognizing the volatility and providing adequate security for all.

Last edited:
I noticed that boy that got the beat down from his mom, was covering his face. When did protesters start dressing like terrorist?

The protesters had held up traffic to the stadium for over 2 hours sitting in one place. Why did the protesters start that and once finally moved then went to Camden Yards. Why? At that point I am sure many fans were upset, and then with the anger from the protesters overall, that was a recipe for disaster.
Should the fans have known better? Yes, just as the protesters should have as well.

The city failed in recognizing the volatility and providing adequate security for all.

Why are you ignoring everything they did? It wasnt the protesters who did that either but the protesters were attacked by the fans with bottles and racist chants for no reason.

But like always, when a white person does something thats generally unacceptable they are "understandably upset" but you condemn blacks and have no understanding for not taking a bottle to the head and being quiet about it

I noticed that boy that got the beat down from his mom, was covering his face. When did protesters start dressing like terrorist?

When they arent protesters.

This is like asking why that dog is meowing. Ugh because dumbass thats not a dog stupid

I never excused them. I said it made for a volatile situation, which should have been anticipated and the city should have kept them away from one another, protecting ALL parties.
You read way too much into my post.
The protesters had held up traffic to the stadium for over 2 hours sitting in one place. Why did the protesters start that and once finally moved then went to Camden Yards. Why? At that point I am sure many fans were upset, and then with the anger from the protesters overall, that was a recipe for disaster.

Why are you ignoring everything they did? It wasnt the protesters who did that either but the protesters were attacked by the fans with bottles and racist chants for no reason.

But like always, when a white person does something thats generally unacceptable they are "understandably upset" but you condemn blacks and have no understanding for not taking a bottle to the head and being quiet about it

I never excused them. I said it made for a volatile situation, which should have been anticipated and the city should have kept them away from one another, protecting ALL parties.

Point is that the protesters were minding their business then bottles and screams of the N word and "fuck you" and bottle throwing occurred for what?

Because whenever black people talk about black things white people get super angry

Point is that the protesters were minding their business then bottles and screams of the N word and "fuck you" and bottle throwing occurred for what?

Because whenever black people talk about black things white people get super angry
If it's true the protesters shut a road down for hours. They weren't minding their own business.

If it's true the protesters shut a road down for hours. They weren't minding their own business.

Its not...now what excuse you got? They looked thirsty and the bottles thrown were for hydration?

Its not...now what excuse you got? They looked thirsty and the bottles thrown were for hydration?
So the protesters didn't block a road?

Not for hours...now will you change it from hours to minutes as a reason to physically attack someone and go racist?

Not for hours...now will you change it from hours to minutes as a reason to physically attack someone and go racist?
If they affected other people's lives, then they are not minding their business.

Forum List

Back