šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night's post-protest violence

How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night s post-protest violence - citypaper.com

580x327

City Paper

4:22 a.m. EDT, April 28, 2015

On Saturday night, following the violence that broke out near Camden Yards, a photo of me supposedly protecting a woman from violent protesters surfaced on BuzzFeed and then trickled down to the conservative armpit of the internet where it was mischaracterized. In the photo, I look strangely heroic, and the picture was quickly co-opted by those who like to present an all-too-common and easy narrative: white people being terrorized by black people.

The truth, or as much as I have been able to cobble together from my own memory and notes, videos online, video I shot, and videos from City Paperā€™s Managing Editor Baynard Woods, is far less interesting, though much more important than ā€œwhite dude saves white lady.ā€

Iā€™m not exactly sure how the violence broke out around 6 p.m. in front of Pickles Pub on Washington Boulevard and traveled up the street to The Bullpen, Sliders Bar & Grill, and Frank & Nicā€™s West End Grille then down Howard Street. I know a small group of protesters and a small group of baseball fans started whipping bottles at one another and brawling. When the protesters turned the corner onto Washington Boulevard from Camden Street chanting ā€œblack lives matter,ā€ some baseball fans applauded and a few angrily chanted back, ā€œWe donā€™t careā€ā€”someone who worked at The Bullpen confirmed this for me. He also said that some patrons chanted ā€œrun them over,ā€ and one yelled ā€œgo get them.ā€ Other protestors, including City Paper contributor D. Watkins and gang members interviewed on WBAL, recall bar patrons calling them ā€œ*******,ā€ among other racist epithets.

I donā€™t know who threw something first, but I heard a shift to jeers and boos from the people drinking and ran right over to it and saw beers being tossed from behind a gate that keeps Pickles drinkers from standing in the road and bottles being whipped back at the drinkers. Some people at Pickles stood up and moved toward the protesters though they were protected by the gate. Then, protesters pulled away the gate protecting Pickles customers from the street. Men from Pickles and elsewhere charged toward the protesters and the protesters charged the Pickles customers. It was at this point that I stopped being a journalist and became someone who was trying to help out.

A young woman from the bar threw a stool at me and others, and then affected a ā€œcome at me broā€ stance. At the same time, many protesters were trying to tell the ones who were fighting and throwing things to stop causing trouble and keep moving. Some protesters began to grab bags of peanuts from a small stand and throw them at the people at the bar. The woman who threw the stool got hit in the face with a bag of peanuts and she went down. I helped her back up.

I retreated and noticed another woman from the bar, who earlier had thrown a chair, was now following the group as it moved up Washington Boulevard, pleading with them to stop. I ran up to her and told her to get back. She pushed me away, which is both a reasonable response to someone screaming at you and also a completely bizarre response to someone who is telling you to go inside, youā€™re going to get hurt.

At some point around here, a fight started in front of Sliders. Protesters and bar customers were fighting. The videos show people on both sides who wanted to fight and were excited to fight and embraced the opportunity.

The pleading woman followed the protesters up to the bar Frank & Nicā€™s. She was reaching out at people and yelling. I stopped her from walking toward a protester who was throwing a chair at a window, and thatā€™s when the picture was taken. City Paper contributors Caitlin Goldblatt and Gianna DeCarlo were also talking to the woman at this point and a protester with a big bag and a bottle of vodka that he clearly stole from one of the bars (it has a pourer on it) approached her. Thatā€™s where we got the image of a protester, who was most certainly looting, who looks like heā€™s stealing a purse, but I was there and Iā€™m really not sure if thatā€™s what is happening.

In part, it also seems like it was a failure of security, who didnā€™t stop customers from jeering at the protesters. I was also told by employees at the bars that they had a discussion beforehand about how bad it would be if Oā€™s fans who ā€œevery game, drink way too muchā€ encountered protesters. The protesters who got violent werenā€™t from ā€œout of town,ā€ by the way. Some of their faces were recognizable to me as people who had been with the protests. Here were drunk, angry, white baseball fans and bar-goers who were equally guilty for the violence that happened that night and embraced the chance to fight and provoked some of it, and any accurate narrative must acknowledge that and barely anyone has acknowledged that. If youā€™d like to call Baltimore County whites and Boston Red Sox fans ā€œoutside agitators,ā€ then youā€™ve got your outside agitators.

- See more at: How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night s post-protest violence - citypaper.com

580x388

There is also Video thats about 15 seconds long that shows the incident with the guys coming through the gates confronting people. Why? Because talking about anything black makes them angry

Like this thread will
How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night s post-protest violence - citypaper.com

580x327

City Paper

On Saturday night, following the violence that broke out near Camden Yards, a photo of me supposedly protecting a woman from violent protesters surfaced on BuzzFeed and then trickled down to the conservative armpit of the internet where it was mischaracterized. In the photo, I look strangely heroic, and the picture was quickly co-opted by those who like to present an all-too-common and easy narrative: white people being terrorized by black people.

The truth, or as much as I have been able to cobble together from my own memory and notes, videos online, video I shot, and videos from City Paperā€™s Managing Editor Baynard Woods, is far less interesting, though much more important than ā€œwhite dude saves white lady.ā€

Iā€™m not exactly sure how the violence broke out around 6 p.m. in front of Pickles Pub on Washington Boulevard and traveled up the street to The Bullpen, Sliders Bar & Grill, and Frank & Nicā€™s West End Grille then down Howard Street. I know a small group of protesters and a small group of baseball fans started whipping bottles at one another and brawling. When the protesters turned the corner onto Washington Boulevard from Camden Street chanting ā€œblack lives matter,ā€ some baseball fans applauded and a few angrily chanted back, ā€œWe donā€™t careā€ā€”someone who worked at The Bullpen confirmed this for me. He also said that some patrons chanted ā€œrun them over,ā€ and one yelled ā€œgo get them.ā€ Other protestors, including City Paper contributor D. Watkins and gang members interviewed on WBAL, recall bar patrons calling them ā€œ*******,ā€ among other racist epithets.

I donā€™t know who threw something first, but I heard a shift to jeers and boos from the people drinking and ran right over to it and saw beers being tossed from behind a gate that keeps Pickles drinkers from standing in the road and bottles being whipped back at the drinkers. Some people at Pickles stood up and moved toward the protesters though they were protected by the gate. Then, protesters pulled away the gate protecting Pickles customers from the street. Men from Pickles and elsewhere charged toward the protesters and the protesters charged the Pickles customers. It was at this point that I stopped being a journalist and became someone who was trying to help out.

A young woman from the bar threw a stool at me and others, and then affected a ā€œcome at me broā€ stance. At the same time, many protesters were trying to tell the ones who were fighting and throwing things to stop causing trouble and keep moving. Some protesters began to grab bags of peanuts from a small stand and throw them at the people at the bar. The woman who threw the stool got hit in the face with a bag of peanuts and she went down. I helped her back up.

I retreated and noticed another woman from the bar, who earlier had thrown a chair, was now following the group as it moved up Washington Boulevard, pleading with them to stop. I ran up to her and told her to get back. She pushed me away, which is both a reasonable response to someone screaming at you and also a completely bizarre response to someone who is telling you to go inside, youā€™re going to get hurt.

At some point around here, a fight started in front of Sliders. Protesters and bar customers were fighting. The videos show people on both sides who wanted to fight and were excited to fight and embraced the opportunity.

The pleading woman followed the protesters up to the bar Frank & Nicā€™s. She was reaching out at people and yelling. I stopped her from walking toward a protester who was throwing a chair at a window, and thatā€™s when the picture was taken. City Paper contributors Caitlin Goldblatt and Gianna DeCarlo were also talking to the woman at this point and a protester with a big bag and a bottle of vodka that he clearly stole from one of the bars (it has a pourer on it) approached her. Thatā€™s where we got the image of a protester, who was most certainly looting, who looks like heā€™s stealing a purse, but I was there and Iā€™m really not sure if thatā€™s what is happening.

In part, it also seems like it was a failure of security, who didnā€™t stop customers from jeering at the protesters. I was also told by employees at the bars that they had a discussion beforehand about how bad it would be if Oā€™s fans who ā€œevery game, drink way too muchā€ encountered protesters. The protesters who got violent werenā€™t from ā€œout of town,ā€ by the way. Some of their faces were recognizable to me as people who had been with the protests. Here were drunk, angry, white baseball fans and bar-goers who were equally guilty for the violence that happened that night and embraced the chance to fight and provoked some of it, and any accurate narrative must acknowledge that and barely anyone has acknowledged that. If youā€™d like to call Baltimore County whites and Boston Red Sox fans ā€œoutside agitators,ā€ then youā€™ve got your outside agitators.

- See more at: How drunk sports fans helped spark Saturday night s post-protest violence - citypaper.com

580x388

There is also Video thats about 15 seconds long that shows the incident with the guys coming through the gates confronting people. Why? Because talking about anything black makes them angry

Like this thread will

Notice he didn't post the video. Here's why

Thank you...I was looking for that. So tell me what are the white dudes yelling about and saying get back behind the fence for? Because they were chilling...behind the fence? LMAO

Initially a thug dumped a garbage can on them.

False, you just made that up

They went outside the fence to defend those on the inside of it.

False, again you just made that up

They would be crazy to lunge themselves into a crowd of black thugs. They instigated nothing. They reacted to everything. Don't blame whitey for black deviance.

But they did lunge into it and you just said they did to protect someone so are they crazy or brave?

I bet I know which you'll choose because you havent finished making up the story so they'll be brave crazy people defending against evil

Ok...so who caused the problem...the thugs or the Orioles baeeball fans?

Because the Orioles play about 75 home games a year. And I dont see 75 Baltimore riots per year.

Good logic ya got there! Stunning really. They were rioting over the Orioles game!!!!

Ah. Got it. So the problem wasnt the baseball fans. It was the thugs.

Your thread has been derailed.

LOL! Ok....congrats. You can go now

I noticed that boy that got the beat down from his mom, was covering his face. When did protesters start dressing like terrorist?

When they arent protesters.

This is like asking why that dog is meowing. Ugh because dumbass thats not a dog stupid

So when a protester turns bad...hes no longer a protester? Haha such bullshit.

Ok. Fine. Then when a cop turns bad...hes no longer acting as a cop..so stop protesting cops haha.

Moron.

No, I'm saying that when a law abiding person no longer abides by the law they are still law abiding....LOL because actions dont mean anything and thats why I call butterflies caterpillars because you're a dumbass

So the slim thug is a protester. ...until he puts on a ski mask and throws a brick...then hes not? So...when he takes the mask off is he back to being a protester?

Its humorous watching you morons trying to justify or excuse this violence.

Because the Orioles play about 75 home games a year. And I dont see 75 Baltimore riots per year.

Good logic ya got there! Stunning really. They were rioting over the Orioles game!!!!

Im sure you'd like me to go. Im destroying your thread. But im gonna rub it in.

The Orioles play 75 home games...every year.

No riots. Until the swarm of thugs shows up.

See the volatile ingredient?

I noticed that boy that got the beat down from his mom, was covering his face. When did protesters start dressing like terrorist?

When they arent protesters.

This is like asking why that dog is meowing. Ugh because dumbass thats not a dog stupid

So when a protester turns bad...hes no longer a protester? Haha such bullshit.

Ok. Fine. Then when a cop turns bad...hes no longer acting as a cop..so stop protesting cops haha.

Moron.

No, I'm saying that when a law abiding person no longer abides by the law they are still law abiding....LOL because actions dont mean anything and thats why I call butterflies caterpillars because you're a dumbass

So the slim thug is a protester. ...until he puts on a ski mask and throws a brick...then hes not? So...when he takes the mask off is he back to being a protester?

Its humorous watching you morons trying to justify or excuse this violence.

When someone doesnt commit a crime they are a law abiding person.

Once that person commits a crime they are no longer abiding by the law, they are committing a crime therefore a criminal.

Still confused?

Yeah I do, black people annoying whites with protests

So the thugs were protesting drunk baseball fans? I thought this was about freddy Gray.

So the thugs were protesting drunk baseball fans? I thought this was about freddy Gray.

No they had the nerve to walk by them talking about rights and stuff and the drunk guys didnt like it. Those black people shouldve known better than to walk and talk

Baltimore has 365 days every year. No riots until cops kill someone without cause.

No they had the nerve to walk by them talking about rights and stuff and the drunk guys didnt like it. Those black people shouldve known better than to walk and talk
Oh, the thugs were trying to spread the good word with reason. I hadn't realized that. Media, huh?

Oh, the thugs were trying to spread the good word with reason. I hadn't realized that. Media, huh?

Well, now you do. Education free of charge

So apparently this reporter who typed the OP and someone on Social Media have a similar account of what happened. Total Coincidence though

11196300_1115542735128503_2286821177745351973_n.jpg

580x327

City Paper

580x388

Like this thread will

580x327

City Paper

580x388

Like this thread will

Notice he didn't post the video. Here's why

Thank you...I was looking for that. So tell me what are the white dudes yelling about and saying get back behind the fence for? Because they were chilling...behind the fence? LMAO

Initially a thug dumped a garbage can on them.

False, you just made that up

They went outside the fence to defend those on the inside of it.

False, again you just made that up

They would be crazy to lunge themselves into a crowd of black thugs. They instigated nothing. They reacted to everything. Don't blame whitey for black deviance.

But they did lunge into it and you just said they did to protect someone so are they crazy or brave?

I bet I know which you'll choose because you havent finished making up the story so they'll be brave crazy people defending against evil

Oh yes. So here's what REALLY happened.

A group of young innocent black youths went walking by a sports bar in the middle of white supremacist Jim Crow Baltimore when they were confronted by a group of drunken white slave holders. One of the slave holders said "You ain't welcome here boy" to which the innocent black angel replied "I'm sorry my good fellow, I did not mean to offend, we'll be on our way." But right at that moment the slave holders got angry and lunged at the little black lambs who were forced to defend themselves from white aggression. After that, the black children made their way down the streets warming their neighbors homes free of charge and borrowing goods at the mom and pop shop. They even picked up some malt medicine for grandpa, and at the local CVS, some Oxycontin for grandmothers bunions. But it was too late. Wherever they went the innocent black angels were followed by those evil drunken white slave holders. These are the conditions those innocent black children suffer from in white supremacist Jim Crow Baltimore.

There, the story just as you like it.

Baltimore has 365 days every year. No riots until cops kill someone without cause.

Oh. When did that happen? Because Freddie Grays death is still under investigation. Speaking of...did you see he had spine surgery...yes...spinal surgery...the week before and defied doctors advice of staying home to instead go run from cops?

Of all these cop outrages....ONLY the North Charleston and Tulsa ones are legitimate gripes. And those men were charged.

Thats right! They were attacked by drunks on SATURDAY....then spent the night next to the CVS to attack 2 days later on MONDAY

Thanks Columbo

You're pointing out how ridiculous YOUR theory is then call me names.

Hilarious. This takes a failed thread to a whole new level.

Oh. When did that happen? Because Freddie Grays death is still under investigation. Speaking of...did you see he had spine surgery...yes...spinal surgery...the week before and defied doctors advice of staying home to instead go run from cops?

Of all these cop outrages....ONLY the North Charleston and Tulsa ones are legitimate gripes. And those men were charged.
I don't care if he had brain surgery. Cops shouldn't harm people that are not engaged in harming others.

He's dead and two weeks later people are still without an explanation.

So apparently this reporter who typed the OP and someone on Social Media have a similar account of what happened. Total Coincidence though

11196300_1115542735128503_2286821177745351973_n.jpg

Yet....the Orioles never have rights at the hundreds of home games they've had over the last decade. Until a swarm of thugs rolls in.

Its no different than your local shopping mall. No fights or shootings all week, especially daylight hours.

But Saturday nights...the thugs roll in. And violence begins.

Movie theaters? The Wednesday matinee show never has violence. But Friday's 1030pm showing of Fast and Furious? Yep. Thug life rolls in.

Forum List

Back