What is emotion? Have you ever heard a definitive answer to this question? Chemical reactions... well, yes, but what purpose does it serve? Fight or flight, human bonding for procreation... ok, but obviously it's more nuanced and influential than that.

I'd like to submit an idea for your review: Emotion is personal guidance. It exists as means for evaluating the merit of our thought.

Emotion is intrinsically linked to thought; it is a reaction to thought. You may be watching TV, feeling emotionally neutral, until you remember the big test, interview, or presentation tomorrow morning. Immediately upon having that thought, a flood of anxiety fills your body.

And thought need not always be overtly conscious. Sometimes there are lingering thoughts just behind our conscious awareness; thoughts that have not undergone the formality of being mentally vocalized, but are present nonetheless. In this case, the emotion will get our attention, even when the thought doesn't. We call this experience a "nagging feeling". Emotion is serving its purpose - cluing us in to the nature of our thoughts.

Humans are motivated by emotion. All human action is an effort to move to a more pleasing emotional state. Our political views are rooted in this effort as well. We perceive that if this massive construct affecting our lives called "government" operated in a way more in line with our desires, we would feel happier, safer, have more pride in our country, etc.

Here I will provide a chart that outlines the "Emotional Guidance Scale" (courtesy of Abraham Hicks). Items higher on the scale denote better-feeling emotions, while items lower on the scale denote worse emotional states:

7c1e696fb0679813409fae42019180b1.jpg

Sometimes this phenomenon is not so obvious, like in the case of the person who abuses themselves. But upon closer inspection, we can see that the person is trying to move from feelings of guilt, for instance, to the relief experienced by the feelings of revenge against themselves. Even moving from one negative emotion to another negative emotion is motivated by the desire for improvement.

Unfortunately, much of our political views are born of a fear. Fear of what the opposing party will subject us to; fear of what foreign powers will unleash upon our country; etc. This is a very low emotional state, and though improvements sought through rage and resentment may serve to ease our pain temporarily, they are hardly the most desirable emotional states to reside within on an ongoing basis. We can get trapped in a negative loop without a concerted effort to move higher on the scale.

Since emotional improvement is the motivation for all action, and all emotion is a reaction to thought, we can see that thought is the realm of causality. This means that we purposefully defer action (verbal or physical) and remain in the realm of thought, progressing upward along the scale via self-talk before taking action. In other words, we can wait until we're in a better place before expressing ourselves through actions which have the power to shape our world.

And since emotion clues us in to the merit of our thought, the better feeling emotions reflect thoughts that are more in alignment with ultimate truth in some way. In this way, knowledge and understanding lead to better-feeling emotions, and ultimately wisdom, or right action. This can be difficult to discern. But when we feel rage against the opposing party, something about our thought is misaligned with truth. Maybe it's because we are seeing these people as evil, when in reality, they are only trying to seek higher states of emotion just like us. Their motivations are good in this sense, and so our perception of them as evil enemies with vastly different goals is inaccurate on a deeper level.

There is so much more to say, but I will not impose upon your patience any longer in this post. Use this scale to assess what you are feeling, and what emotional state you are trying to achieve by your actions. Use it to evaluate others. See if the described phenomenon accurately corresponds with your own experience and observation.

Thank you for considering these ideas, I hope they offer some preliminary insight into how this "thought --> emotion --> action" dynamic plays out in the political landscape.
What is emotion? Have you ever heard a definitive answer to this question? Chemical reactions... well, yes, but what purpose does it serve? Fight or flight, human bonding for procreation... ok, but obviously it's more nuanced and influential than that.

I'd like to submit an idea for your review: Emotion is personal guidance. It exists as means for evaluating the merit of our thought.

Emotion is intrinsically linked to thought; it is a reaction to thought. You may be watching TV, feeling emotionally neutral, until you remember the big test, interview, or presentation tomorrow morning. Immediately upon having that thought, a flood of anxiety fills your body.

And thought need not always be overtly conscious. Sometimes there are lingering thoughts just behind our conscious awareness; thoughts that have not undergone the formality of being mentally vocalized, but are present nonetheless. In this case, the emotion will get our attention, even when the thought doesn't. We call this experience a "nagging feeling". Emotion is serving its purpose - cluing us in to the nature of our thoughts.

Humans are motivated by emotion. All human action is an effort to move to a more pleasing emotional state. Our political views are rooted in this effort as well. We perceive that if this massive construct affecting our lives called "government" operated in a way more in line with our desires, we would feel happier, safer, have more pride in our country, etc.

Here I will provide a chart that outlines the "Emotional Guidance Scale" (courtesy of Abraham Hicks). Items higher on the scale denote better-feeling emotions, while items lower on the scale denote worse emotional states:

7c1e696fb0679813409fae42019180b1.jpg

Sometimes this phenomenon is not so obvious, like in the case of the person who abuses themselves. But upon closer inspection, we can see that the person is trying to move from feelings of guilt, for instance, to the relief experienced by the feelings of revenge against themselves. Even moving from one negative emotion to another negative emotion is motivated by the desire for improvement.

Unfortunately, much of our political views are born of a fear. Fear of what the opposing party will subject us to; fear of what foreign powers will unleash upon our country; etc. This is a very low emotional state, and though improvements sought through rage and resentment may serve to ease our pain temporarily, they are hardly the most desirable emotional states to reside within on an ongoing basis. We can get trapped in a negative loop without a concerted effort to move higher on the scale.

Since emotional improvement is the motivation for all action, and all emotion is a reaction to thought, we can see that thought is the realm of causality. This means that we purposefully defer action (verbal or physical) and remain in the realm of thought, progressing upward along the scale via self-talk before taking action. In other words, we can wait until we're in a better place before expressing ourselves through actions which have the power to shape our world.

And since emotion clues us in to the merit of our thought, the better feeling emotions reflect thoughts that are more in alignment with ultimate truth in some way. In this way, knowledge and understanding lead to better-feeling emotions, and ultimately wisdom, or right action. This can be difficult to discern. But when we feel rage against the opposing party, something about our thought is misaligned with truth. Maybe it's because we are seeing these people as evil, when in reality, they are only trying to seek higher states of emotion just like us. Their motivations are good in this sense, and so our perception of them as evil enemies with vastly different goals is inaccurate on a deeper level.

There is so much more to say, but I will not impose upon your patience any longer in this post. Use this scale to assess what you are feeling, and what emotional state you are trying to achieve by your actions. Use it to evaluate others. See if the described phenomenon accurately corresponds with your own experience and observation.

Thank you for considering these ideas, I hope they offer some preliminary insight into how this "thought --> emotion --> action" dynamic plays out in the political landscape.
It's not a new concept, actually Republican's have used fear to get elected.

BS. The Left are motivated by hate, they bask in it. The only time they are happy is when they know someone else is suffering.

It is why the left rarely meaningfully give to charity time or money.

Did you even take time to consider the proposition being made? You say they are motivated by hate, but there is only one motivation - the desire for a better-feeling state. Hate is an improved condition over powerlessness, fear, etc. Only they could know what emotional state they are trying to move away from, and only if they earnestly engage in introspection. Hate is an emotion, and therefore an effect, not a cause. Their thoughts are the cause, and their thoughts are no doubt poisoned by a skewed worldview resulting from cultural influences.

We've got to really take the time to think this stuff through if we ever hope to achieve the peaceful, prosperous society we all desire. There are no shortcuts, and the work is ours individually. When we get our own house cleaned up, the insight garnered from that experience will yield understanding relative to our perceived opposition.

Did you even take time to consider the proposition being made? You say they are motivated by hate, but there is only one motivation - the desire for a better-feeling state. Hate is an improved condition over powerlessness, fear, etc. Only they could know what emotional state they are trying to move away from, and only if they earnestly engage in introspection. Hate is an emotion, and therefore an effect, not a cause. Their thoughts are the cause, and their thoughts are no doubt poisoned by a skewed worldview resulting from cultural influences.

We've got to really take the time to think this stuff through if we ever hope to achieve the peaceful, prosperous society we all desire. There are no shortcuts, and the work is ours individually. When we get our own house cleaned up, the insight garnered from that experience will yield understanding relative to our perceived opposition.

Then again...it's more likely they're just mentally unstable

You can't always elegantly explain away foul behavior and rotten personalities the left often exhibits. Sometimes it's just hard wired in.

Now you're really making no sense. Saying that emotions affect political views claims that political views are the consequent and that emotions are the cause. Now, you're saying that the emotions are the consequent, and are insisting that there is some hitherto unstated cause.

This is more than adequate to show that your grasp on cause and effect relationships is catastrophic.

Jeez, you've got an itchy trigger finger... firing off conclusions before fulling engaging the critical process. Did you actually read the OP with an earnest desire to understand it? I explicitly stated the cause - thought. The title of this post was a way of getting the overall intent across in a few words, and yes, emotions can be said to affect actions, but they are not the root cause.

There is a chain of causality: Thought --> Emotion --> Action.

Of course this process doesn't exist in a vacuum, and our thoughts are affected by various factors (and it behooves us to investigate this as well), but for the practical purposes of this discussion, it would be useless to trace causes so far back that we're compelled to cite the Big Bang as the cause of our political views.

EDIT: I should also mention that the reason why we're using thought as the starting point is that free will originates in conscious attention, namely which thoughts we will give continuous attention (and thus power) to.

Last edited:
Trump has established his cult mostly based on FEAR....

Fear of darkies
Fear of someone wanting their precious guns
Fear of hordes of immigrants
Fear of environmentalists
Fear of Christmas been taken away....

etc.

Of course, that's his job. Fear is a necessity to maintain power. No tyrant ever built his empire on the platform "Everything's fine, people, nothing to worry about... now give me all your money and let's go kill some fuckers!"

Trump has established his cult mostly based on FEAR....

Fear of darkies
Fear of someone wanting their precious guns
Fear of hordes of immigrants
Fear of environmentalists
Fear of Christmas been taken away....

etc.

This is sheer childish drivel.
And anyone who agrees with it is just as immature.

Trump has done more for black people in his first year than Obama did in 8.
All Obama did was used "darkies" to stoke race tensions which filled the DNC coffers which made him rich.

Yet multiple studies, show that conservatives show are more susceptible to fear than liberals. Just as liberals are more susceptible to empathy.
I am sure liberals too, can be motivated by fear but more so so by empathy, which is confirmed by studies.. Each political party, targets their base's main triggers.

Well, it's a rather subtle consideration. Empathy in what regard? Being cognizant of people's suffering and desiring to alleviate it? In other words, fear that people will starve if not for welfare. Fear that people will die if we wage wars overseas. Fear that critical programs won't be funded if not for coercive taxation. You see the point.

Emotion is intrinsically linked to thought;
Humans are motivated by emotion.

Thank you for that, Brian. I believe emotion is as much a part of our perceptions and thoughts as any other ideas we have. Yet I am frequently criticized and dismissed for presenting an "emotional" argument, whether it be about guns, global warming, refugees, welfare benefits.... I know how to write emotionally, and when I specifically don't write emotionally but present facts, I am still mocked for presenting an emotional argument.

Emotions seem to be anathema to a lot of people here, but they don't recognize that they are being just as "emotional" as anyone else (especially the ones who want to shoot me--lol). It is part of who we are.

Since I tend to uphold optimism and hope, it would seem I'm headed in the right direction, but that is still mud in certain circles.
So anyway, if I haven't gone too far off track, thanks.

People discount emotions because they don't know what they are, or what purpose they serve. And this information is withheld by many who know because understanding of self on a large scale would make their wealth and power difficult to maintain. The ancient mystery schools all expound upon this information, but it has been hidden; in the past by literally keeping the information away from people, and in the modern information age by putting forth the notion that it's woo-woo nonsense and not worthy of consideration.

"Know thyself and you will know the universe and the Gods" - Inscription on the Greek temple at Delphi

Though I agree, taking a partisan view is to miss the point. There is no such thing as politics without fear. The belief in external authority itself is rooted in ignorance and fostered by fear.

You can't always elegantly explain away foul behavior and rotten personalities the left often exhibits. Sometimes it's just hard wired in.

Well, yes, I would acknowledge sociopathy as potentially "hard wired in", but this is hardly reserved for leftists.

Though I agree, taking a partisan view is to miss the point. There is no such thing as politics without fear. The belief in external authority itself is rooted in ignorance and fostered by fear.
External authority like government? Look I agree that fear as a political weapon is used by the left to. I do see an actual difference in the amount and severity of those tactics. Michelle Obama said when they go low we go high, that hardly seems like using fear as a political weapon. Compare that to Trump's or for that matter all populists message.

Thanks for demonstrating of what you accuse the being left of doing/being. It's like an echo coming back to you.
Both highly partisan sides, do just what you just did above. :blahblah:

External authority like government? Look I agree that fear as a political weapon is used by the left to. I do see an actual difference in the amount and severity of those tactics. Michelle Obama said when they go low we go high, that hardly seems like using fear as a political weapon. Compare that to Trump's or for that matter all populists message.

Oh, certainly there are degrees. I don’t concern myself much with which thief does what more than another; I’m just anti-theft in general, and all of them use the same ploys, so all of them can go to the gallows together, as far as I’m concerned. Or snap out of it and join humanity... I should be careful to mention that preferable alternative.

Yes, government is one form of external authority. All such authority is invalid, immoral, and only maintained by fear and faith-based belief.

Oh, certainly there are degrees. I don’t concern myself much with which thief does what more than another; I’m just anti-theft in general, and all of them use the same ploys, so all of them can go to the gallows together, as far as I’m concerned. Or snap out of it and join humanity... I should be careful to mention that preferable alternative.

Yes, government is one form of external authority. All such authority is invalid, immoral, and only maintained by fear and faith-based belief.
I dare say that without a form of external authority you wouldn't be able to talk on this forum, since you wouldn't have had a stable enough society to develop the technology base required to get computers let alone the internet.

I dare say that without a form of external authority you wouldn't be able to talk on this forum, since you wouldn't have had a stable enough society to develop the technology base required to get computers let alone the internet.

Despite the specifics of this speculation (certain technologies were designed with military applications in mind), I see no resson to suppose the broader point. Almost everything we have is born of the relative freedom of our market, not its restrictions.

What do you believe restrictions backed up by violent punishment add to the economy that is so monumentally valuable that invention and production would cease without it?

Never mind the fact that this reply merely cites utility, and does nothing to address the objections concerning validity and morality.

Last edited:

Despite the specifics of this speculation (certain technologies were designed with military applications in mind), I see no resson to suppose the broader point. Almost everything we have is born of the relative freedom of our market, not its restrictions.

What do you believe restrictions backed up by violent punishment add to the economy that is so monumentally valuable that invention and production would cease without it?

Never mind the fact that this reply merely cites utility, and does nothing to address the objections concerning validity and morality.
I personally like the morality of a society ruled by laws. Laws that a government imposes. Laws that aren't arbitrary. Only an external authority can achieve such a thing. Without it you get mob rule, things like lynching and witch burning.

I personally like the morality of a society ruled by laws. Laws that a government imposes. Laws that aren't arbitrary. Only an external authority can achieve such a thing. Without it you get mob rule, things like lynching and witch burning.

Um... lynchings and witch burnings happened while governments were in place. Slavery was legally-imposed and enforced. So much for that argument, I guess.

Anyway, what you “like” is irrelevant; you don’t get to choose what morality is going to be, only whether you’re going to understand it, and live in accordance with it. Think “laws of physics”... same situation. Morality is the cause-and-effect of human behavior. Some call it “natural law” or “God-given, unalienable rights”.

Does it matter to you if government is valid and moral, or are you of the mindset, “I want what I want, and fuck logic and right and wrong”? Because many are, whether they admit it or not.

Um... lynchings and witch burnings happened while governments were in place. Slavery was legally-imposed and enforced. So much for that argument, I guess.

Anyway, what you “like” is irrelevant; you don’t get to choose what morality is going to be, only whether you’re going to understand it, and live in accordance with it. Think “laws of physics”... same situation. Morality is the cause-and-effect of human behavior. Some call it “natural law” or “God-given, unalienable rights”.

Does it matter to you if government is valid and moral, or are you of the mindset, “I want what I want, and fuck logic and right and wrong”? Because many are, whether they admit it or not.
People when left to their own devices are by default selfish and xenophobic. Millennia ago we figured their had to be something better so society created rules that everybody was expected to follow. Not following those rules carried consequences. I have yet to see anything to suggest that people are capable of living peacefully with their neighbors if society doesn't put constriction on them. What happens after every disaster when government breaks down. I'll give you a tip, it's not singing kum ba ya next to a campfire.

People when left to their own devices are by default selfish and xenophobic. Millennia ago we figured their had to be something better so society created rules that everybody was expected to follow. Not following those rules carried consequences. I have yet to see anything to suggest that people are capable of living peacefully with their neighbors if society doesn't put constriction on them. What happens after every disaster when government breaks down. I'll give you a tip, it's not singing kum ba ya next to a campfire.

So it’s “I want government because I’m afraid of what people will do with freedom”. Doesn’t matter if it’s valid or immoral, because you’re afraid to face life’s challenges with self-responsibility. No different than the anti-gun position, or any position that subjects the overwhelming majority of good people to domination in the name of protecting us from the few who would do them harm.

That’s ok, I don’t mind if my children are enslaved, as long as you feel better. That’s all that really matters. Anything else I can do for you while we’re at it? Maybe I could send you my paycheck to ease your financial burdens, or carry you to work so you don’t have to deal with traffic. I exist for your comfort, so just impose upon me however you see fit.

Forum List

Back