How Hot Is It?

Through last week it was pretty nice at 5 a.m. to take dogs for walk and then spend a hour or so on back patio while reading, watching people bike, jog, walk along the irrigation canal, and just shoot the breeze with wife. Those days are shot for next 3 months. Screen shot I took Tuesday:

Luckily D-Backs are also hot.

But it's a "dry heat".

Of course, so is fire.

Hotter than a two-peckered goat in a pepper patch. :lol:

On Tuesday it hit 119 here in Phoenix....cooled off to 117 yesterday, and it was already 100 at 9am today.

5T8Oz_How_dogs_are_cooling_off_in_hot_weather-s1024x768-391240.jpg
But global warming is hoax.

They live in a fucking desert, you moron!

That's where I stole it!

I read planes can't fly in that heat, and they were grounded.

Yep, with air that hot they can't get normal lift so they need more runway than is available...anything over 118 is risky business for some airlines.

My wife and I flew out of Phoenix last week and she wondered why it took so long to get airborne there than it had in Seattle. I explained that hotter air did not produce as much lift, so it would require a longer runway length to take off!

I couldn't tell the difference between 105 and 115.

OT:
Well, back in the 1990s I could. I presume I still can; however, I generally eschew really hot places like Tempe and Phoenix, AZ; thus I've not since had the "opportunity" to confirm whether I still can.

How was I able to tell? I had a project in Tempe, AZ and I, for about five minutes, stood outside on an asphalt parking lot chatting with a colleague. During that time, I felt the heat of the pavement through the soles of my shoes. The temperature was 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Later that same day, when the temp had dropped to 107, I was standing in a different parking lot for a longer period, and I didn't feel the heat coming through my shoes.

FWIW, these are the shoes I was wearing...

12231015373_8e3d2c5651_b.jpg

OT:
Well, back in the 1990s I could. I presume I still can; however, I generally eschew really hot places like Tempe and Phoenix, AZ; thus I've not since had the "opportunity" to confirm whether I still can.

How was I able to tell? I had a project in Tempe, AZ and I, for about five minutes, stood outside on an asphalt parking lot chatting with a colleague. During that time, I felt the heat of the pavement through the soles of my shoes. The temperature was 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Later that same day, when the temp had dropped to 107, I was standing in a different parking lot for a longer period, and I didn't feel the heat coming through my shoes.

Are those penny loafers?

OT:

Are those penny loafers?
Yes. The band with its little "cut out" across the vamp is what makes them be "penny" loafers. More traditionally styled ones look like this.

5830149691_cfbc9946cd_b.jpg

FWIW, these are the ones I wore everyday in high school. (Yes, they still fit, but I don't wear them often. They aren't worn out, so I've kept them.)

010.JPG

Interestingly, my dad also wore penny loafers from middle school through college. He once told me that he and his peers put dimes in the slots, purportedly, according to him, because it was a safe and sure way to have coins for making a phone call if need be.

Last edited:

OT:

I was in Titus Canyon back in the 1970's and the outside temp was 115, but the ground temp was over 175! My thermometer pegged in an instant so I have no idea what the actual temp was.

OT:

Are those penny loafers?
Yes. The band with its little "cut out" across the vamp is what makes them be "penny" loafers. More traditionally styled ones look like this.

5830149691_cfbc9946cd_b.jpg

FWIW, these are the ones I wore everyday in high school. (Yes, they still fit, but I don't wear them often. They aren't worn out, so I've kept them.)

010.JPG

Interestingly, my dad also wore penny loafers from middle school through college. He once told me that he and his peers put dimes in the slots, purportedly, according to him, because it was a safe and sure way to have coins for making a phone call if need be.

Yes we also put dimes in them to make phone calls if necessary.

OT:

main-qimg-ab2cffdc612256a93f692d72b1d85d0

OT:

Are the woven leather loafers Cole Haan? (Just curious, I'm an ex shoe dog/ shoe buyer/merchandiser)

Last edited:
Hotter than a two-peckered goat in a pepper patch. :lol:

On Tuesday it hit 119 here in Phoenix....cooled off to 117 yesterday, and it was already 100 at 9am today.

5T8Oz_How_dogs_are_cooling_off_in_hot_weather-s1024x768-391240.jpg

I almost asked that same question yesterday. lol

OT:

Are the loafers Cole Haan? (Just curious, I'm an ex shoe dog/ shoe buyer/merchandiser)
Yes.

Forum List

Back