How Irresponsible Is This Law?

I keep asking myself am i missing something? There is a law being considered to hold businesses responsible for injury if someone is harmed while in their store/business and that business doesnt allow guns to be carried. You can probably guess these are conservatives. My thought is that this law is redundant and potentially legally dangerous as businesses are already liable for injury that occurs within its realm of responsibility. This seems more like a "sending a message law" instead of one that is actually doing something positive.

Missouri Bill Seeks to Hold Gun Free Owners Liable for Damages

if you actively deny by your actions the right of people to conceal carry for their protection, then you should be liable if they are injured due to their being denied their right to carry at your establishment.

Thus, if you truly want to create a "gun free zone", you can't just place a feel good sign in your window, you have to provide some screening method to assure the area is gun free, or face the consequences if someone robs your place and harms a person who would have normally been armed.

If you can sue a baker for not baking a cake for a gay marriage...then if they deny you your 2nd Amendment Right, to carry a gun, they should just be sued for that.....just like the baker....a Right is a Right....and if you are injured on their property because they denied you your Right....that should be added on to everything else.....
No dummy. It doesnt say you can sue them for not allowing you to carry a gun. It says you can sue them if you get injured while they have a sign that says no guns allowed. Something that is already law.

I am saying you should be able to sue for both.....they are violating your civil right in both cases.....sue them for both twit.....

Dont care what youre saying.

You dont have a right to carry a potentially dangerous weapon on someone elses property.

Yes....we do...it is called the 2nd Amendment...and if a made up marriage law can be used to sue bakers....then the direct violation of the well defined black letter law of the 2nd Amendment has to be obeyed as well....

Right until you go berserk and shoot someone, or someone gives you the eye and puts his hand in his pocket and you shoot him thinking he has a gun and he doesn't.

I've been shooting since I was 8 years old. I've owned guns since I was 16, I've owned handguns since I was 21 I've had my licence to carry concealed since I was 25 I haven't "gone berserk" yet and I won't in the future. If anything I'm far more even tempered now that I was when I was 25

I am not saying you do not know how to use a gun, and are not a level headed person, but no one goes berserk, till one goes berserk. Who is to say you did not push a lot of disappointments and anger in your subconscious mind and you will let it all out on a person who upsets you. We don't. Most times we hear about shootings that the person was so nice and congenial and people are astounded that their relative or friend did what they did. If you carry a gun your more apt to use it.
He is licensed to carry it. The question is should a business be liable if they ask you not to and you are injured. I am asking why a business should be liable if a church, school, hospital, court house , or any gov. Entity is not?
If I enter a business it is the business's responsibility to ensure I am not injured in their establishment.

It is illegal for anyone to carry a weapon in a courthouse and they have armed guards as well as metal detectors to ensure that no one is carrying
And yet, people die in courthouses, schools, churches, airplanes, airports. How many people are killed in small business?
Really? Who has been killed in a courthouse recently?

And Airlines can and are sued when a plane crashes. And I don't know if Airports aren't sued if people get killed while inside.
in 1991 in Luby's 23 people were killed
1993 7 people killed in Brown's Chicken
2000 5 people killed in a Wendy's

I keep asking myself am i missing something? There is a law being considered to hold businesses responsible for injury if someone is harmed while in their store/business and that business doesnt allow guns to be carried. You can probably guess these are conservatives. My thought is that this law is redundant and potentially legally dangerous as businesses are already liable for injury that occurs within its realm of responsibility. This seems more like a "sending a message law" instead of one that is actually doing something positive.

Crazy, guns should not be allowed in stores or malls or any public place. Keep your guns in your home and car. This is getting to be too much. Oh yes, no abortions, because we enjoy seeing you and your child starving without medical care, and yet they want guns like the old west. I find Pubs more and more ignorant as time goes on. Get the crazies down south.
I have a concealed carry permit that gives me the right to carry my gun in public places. The fact is if I am carrying you'd never even know it

Right until you go berserk and shoot someone, or someone gives you the eye and puts his hand in his pocket and you shoot him thinking he has a gun and he doesn't.

Yeah....doesn't happen....but thanks for playing....

If you can sue a baker for not baking a cake for a gay marriage...then if they deny you your 2nd Amendment Right, to carry a gun, they should just be sued for that.....just like the baker....a Right is a Right....and if you are injured on their property because they denied you your Right....that should be added on to everything else.....
That is a good point. Why do the customer's 1st Amendment rights override the business owner's preferences, but the business owner can deny his 2nd Amendment rights?
Because public accomodation laws dont mention guns. Its like apples and oranges and is not a good point. Also the 2nd amendment have nothing to do with the store owners liablity insurance

No...it isn't.......the 2nd Amendmet is an actual Right.......if public accomodation laws allow for gay marriage to violatet the 1st Amendment...then the 2nd Amendment gets the same treatment...

How about the church? Will you sue them if you are injured by a church shooter? Should that church in Charleston have their ass sued off?

Schools and churchs should allow concealed carry....are they allowed to ban people based on their race?

Will you sue the school if you are injured by a school shooter?
It is actually illegal to carry a gun into a school since schools in my state are State property and it is illegal to carry a gun on all state property. But I have no kids in school so I don't ever enter a school.
The point is why should a business be subject to granting you your second amendment rights and not the state or government?

They aren't granting anything.......if they prohibit carry on their property they are violating the Right....

I've been shooting since I was 8 years old. I've owned guns since I was 16, I've owned handguns since I was 21 I've had my licence to carry concealed since I was 25 I haven't "gone berserk" yet and I won't in the future. If anything I'm far more even tempered now that I was when I was 25

I am not saying you do not know how to use a gun, and are not a level headed person, but no one goes berserk, till one goes berserk. Who is to say you did not push a lot of disappointments and anger in your subconscious mind and you will let it all out on a person who upsets you. We don't. Most times we hear about shootings that the person was so nice and congenial and people are astounded that their relative or friend did what they did. If you carry a gun your more apt to use it.
He is licensed to carry it. The question is should a business be liable if they ask you not to and you are injured. I am asking why a business should be liable if a church, school, hospital, court house , or any gov. Entity is not?
If I enter a business it is the business's responsibility to ensure I am not injured in their establishment.

It is illegal for anyone to carry a weapon in a courthouse and they have armed guards as well as metal detectors to ensure that no one is carrying
And yet, people die in courthouses, schools, churches, airplanes, airports. How many people are killed in small business?

And Airlines can and are sued when a plane crashes. And I don't know if Airports aren't sued if people get killed while inside.

We had a judge shot and killed on the bench. We have had estranged couples shooting at each other

I just don't go in stores that don't allow me to protect myself. If a business bans you from carrying a gun and you get injured in their store because you were not allowed to defend yourself, they are responsible. But, like I said, I wouldn't be caught dead in lib idiots stores like that anyway.
I carry in those places anyway
They don't do anything to see if you're armed or not they just post a sign.
Sometimes I do as well. But usually I avoid them if I can.

then why are you whining about gun free zone bullshit?
Who told you I was whining about anything? I just told you know one cares if they dont have xray eyes and can spot your gun. The point is that you were told you were not to have it on property. This law is pointless as anyone on the property is already covered by existing law.
you said the law was irresponsible not pointless

I said it doesn't matter what the fucking law is
It is irresponsible and pointless. There is already a law that covers you when injured on anyones property.
This is not just about injury but being denied the right to defend yourself if the owner of the establishment doesn't

No one with a CCW permit holder that I know would think twice about entering any business with a gun free sign in the window while carrying
What about the local hospital?

YOu should be able to carry there as well.......

Will you sue the school if you are injured by a school shooter?
It is actually illegal to carry a gun into a school since schools in my state are State property and it is illegal to carry a gun on all state property. But I have no kids in school so I don't ever enter a school.
The point is why should a business be subject to granting you your second amendment rights and not the state or government?

They aren't granting anything.......if they prohibit carry on their property they are violating the Right....

Yes and no because in all honesty they do not enforce the gun free zone thing most places.

As I said I have carried in places with gun free signs and no one noticed or even cared to try to prevent people from carrying

This whole thing is just another libtard feel good putting up a sign thing it's like confusing a tweet or wearing some stupid bracelet to raise awareness with actually doing something

We had a judge shot and killed on the bench. We have had estranged couples shooting at each other

So how did that little sign work in the court house? Did it keep those guns out of the courtroom? When someone decides to break the law?

Are your state courts gun free zones?
If they are and the state didn't prevent someone from carrying then yes they are liable and I am willing to be they can be sued

So how did that little sign work in the court house? Did it keep those guns out of the courtroom? When someone decides to break the law?
Nope! Should the courthouse be sued?

All the courthouses around here have armed guards and metal detectors so they actually do enforce the gun free thing in order to safeguard people

If they are and the state didn't prevent someone from carrying then yes they are liable and I am willing to be they can be sued
So, if you get shot in California can you sue California?

No dummy. It doesnt say you can sue them for not allowing you to carry a gun. It says you can sue them if you get injured while they have a sign that says no guns allowed. Something that is already law.

I am saying you should be able to sue for both.....they are violating your civil right in both cases.....sue them for both twit.....

You dont have a right to carry a potentially dangerous weapon on someone elses property.

Yes....we do...it is called the 2nd Amendment...and if a made up marriage law can be used to sue bakers....then the direct violation of the well defined black letter law of the 2nd Amendment has to be obeyed as well....

The second amendment meant state militia, we all know it. Today we have the NG.

the state that owns and operates the courthouse you mean

So, if you get shot in California can you sue California?

CA is not a gun free state and allows concealed carry

The second amendment meant state militia, we all know it. Today we have the NG.
let's not tilt at this particular windmill anymore

we all know the 2nd says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Forum List

Back