How Liberal Policies Keep People in Poverty

You're an idiot and you are trying to change the subject. I specifically talked about able-bodied people. Fucking read it again.

I excluded the disabled, elderly and truly needy people who have no choice when I talked about how the welfare system should be reformed.

If you have issues with reading comprehension, that is your problem, but don't put pictures up of people I stated I was not talking about and pretend it is some kind of argument.

The point is that your points are meaningless. What percentage of TANF, WIC, and SNAP recipients are able bodied and have decided to not work because they recieve aid?

By the time you've excluded disabled, elderly, and truly needy people, exactly what percentage are you talking about and what is the distributions for "liberal" and "conservative" states?

That is the fucking point. You have no actual information to base your unqualified narrative. You've started with bullshit and done nothing to verify if it has any actual meaning.

In the mean time, I've found tons of real data. At the federal level, it can be found at

Search results | Office of Family Assistance | Administration for Children and Families[2377]=2377&topic[2353]=2353

and

FNS Program Data - SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
Research and Analysis | Food and Nutrition Service

And so far as I've seen so far, you are talking out of your ass.
What are you babbling about? it is fact that people needing foodstamps has increased.

You can't read, apparently. Of course people needing foodstamps has increased, population has increased. Unemployment increased on the recession of '09. The labor force participation rate has fallen since 2000.

See how it works? Dates, numbers.... It is called "counting". Source data..... it's called "facts".

So, how much has SNAP increased and why? That is the point, idiot.

Oh, I already presented the facts for you...

Food-Stamps-Percent.jpg

Last edited:
Not a charge of the federal government.. and you, as an adult, are responsible for you OWN education and any expense that comes from it

Get the fed OUT of education

Then why have ANY public schools, at any level of government?

Why not let all education be market priced, with no taxpayer subsidy whatsoever, and thus create a really huge gap between the haves and the havenots when it comes to education;

that will better reflect the kind of society you want us to have won't it?

Because if the states or localities wish to find it in their way at their standards, that is their right.. it is not a function of the federal government... 10th amendment then states that since it is not, it is for the states or the individuals to handle

And that is how it works. State governments receive block grants from the Federal government and can refuse them it they want to. Medicaid, Unemployment Issurance area both state run programs.

Surely you've heard that Texas has refused grants for Medicaid?

If liberal policies keep people in poverty, then ending liberal policies would cause people to get out of poverty.

To prove that isn't bullshit,

you have to identify the liberal policies, assume that they were ended, and then demonstrate how people then get out of poverty because the policies were ended.

That's how an argument works. Or in this case, doesn't work.

It's not about doing away with welfare, it's about changing things and expecting people to do more in order for their lives to improve. Taking the welfare to work requirement out of the system is just one way that liberals help ease people into dependency permanently.

There is proof that the liberal way doesn't work. Doubling welfare rolls and few getting out of poverty means that either they suck at helping people or they are intentionally encouraging people to stay on welfare.

I recall one woman who was on welfare and had a few children. She found a job and intended to become self-sufficient. The welfare office told her that she would immediately lose all benefits if she did that. Then they told her that if she stayed on welfare longer, they would help pay for child care. If that type of thing isn't enticement, then I don't know what is.

If a person chooses to get a job, the system doesn't help ease them out of welfare, it spits them out if they get big ideas about making it on their own. It's crazy that the longer they are on it, the more bennies they get. Many might pass on the job opportunity simply because it's smoother sailing to stay put.

Liberals keep saying that welfare doesn't offer enough, though in some states it would take at least a $45,000 salary to fund the housing, food, medical, free cell phones and other benefits they receive. It's clear that liberals want people totally comfortable on welfare and there is absolutely no incentive to leave that for a job that wouldn't afford them the same standard of living.

My son, who graduated college last year, makes less than half of what it would take to pay for one small family on welfare. He still pays taxes, lives in a tiny apartment and started at minimum wage for a good company. He has already gotten a raise and promoted to a higher position. Long way to go, but he's doing things the old fashioned way. I'm sure he'd like to live in a bigger home, have cheaper healthcare, more money for food and no charge for his cell phone. He has too much pride to take from others and would rather go without until he earns it. Most of us were that way years ago. Yet, the liberals see my son as a tax payer who needs to pay his fair share and the people who get twice as much as he does without working as more worthy of his earnings. Why do they punish those who work and still say they aren't doing enough while those idle people just keep having more kids and expect a bigger check for their trouble?

How many lifetime, 5th generation welfare recipients even graduated high school? How many would even qualify for a decent job or have the skills to move up? What is their incentive to leave the liberal plantation and do with less until they earn a higher salary?

The left knows exactly what they are doing. Welfare rolls have doubled on Obama's watch as jobs disappeared and more young people headed to the welfare office instead of school. And they want to keep going down this path knowing that it doesn't work. Able-bodied people should have to work for welfare. There are plenty of jobs they could do that would save local tax payers money. If they knew they had to work to obtain any kind of welfare, they'd probably just get a job to begin with and not look to welfare as a first choice for survival. It should be a last resort. Knowing that work was in the future one way or the other, young people would opt to stay in school and increase their chances of getting a better job instead of just having kids to get a check.

If there aren't some kind of consequences for stupid decisions, there is nothing to stop young people from making them.

I get it the twisted logic now. It's like saying that traffic policy causes people to speed up through intersections because many people speed up at yellow lights.

It's like the twisted logic that gun registration won't work because criminals don't follow the law.

The Census Burea keeps stats on poverty here

Poverty Data - Historical Poverty Tables: People - U.S Census Bureau

Here is an interesting "The History Of Welfare".

US Welfare System - Help for US Citizens

It lists the following programs,

Medicaid, the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program, and Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC).

TANF and SNAP fall into this category.

Unemployment insurance is included by some folks.

The Welfare History site gives

the Social Security Act was enacted in 1935. The act, which was amended in 1939, established a number of programs designed to provide aid to various segments of the population. Unemployment compensation and AFDC (originally Aid to Dependent Children) are two of the programs that still exist today.

The Census Bureau data on poverty begins in 1958. Graphically, it is

Since 1966, it just oscillates between 15% and 20%. The only thing that might be possibly said about "welfare reducing poverty" would be that povery fell from 1958 through 1966. Maybe... Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA) seems to have had no effect on the povery rate.

The start of the rise from 2000 coincides with the entry of China as a global competitor. It is one of numerous economic factors that seem to have been negatively affected by China as a global competitor.

I find nothing that even suggests that assistance has any predominate effect on increasing or decreasing labor force participation rates, unemployment, or poverty beyond that 1958 to 1966 decline.

Do you have an example of another country that has no welfare system and low poverty rates?

15 Shocking Poverty Statistics That Are Skyrocketing as the American Middle Class Continues To Be Slowly Wiped Out

As millions more Americans continue to climb on to the "safety net", how long is it going to be before it breaks?

The reality is that the system can only support so many people. We are now at a point where our anti-poverty programs are clearly unsustainable in the long-term, but nobody has a solution for how we are going to get all of these people off of these programs or how we are going to provide good jobs for all of them.

The cost of every U.S. government anti-poverty program is absolutely soaring. Meanwhile, the U.S. government is already running a budget deficit that is approaching 1.5 trillion dollars every year. If you cannot understand that we have a very serious problem on our hands then you are probably not awake."

Do you have an example of another country that has no welfare system and low poverty rates?

15 Shocking Poverty Statistics That Are Skyrocketing as the American Middle Class Continues To Be Slowly Wiped Out

As millions more Americans continue to climb on to the "safety net", how long is it going to be before it breaks?

The reality is that the system can only support so many people. We are now at a point where our anti-poverty programs are clearly unsustainable in the long-term, but nobody has a solution for how we are going to get all of these people off of these programs or how we are going to provide good jobs for all of them.

The cost of every U.S. government anti-poverty program is absolutely soaring. Meanwhile, the U.S. government is already running a budget deficit that is approaching 1.5 trillion dollars every year. If you cannot understand that we have a very serious problem on our hands then you are probably not awake."

Actually, the budget deficit has absolutly no economic affect. It is just a number. What manners is production. That is labor hours and efficiency producting goods such as food. It is the amount of food produced yearly matching the amount consumed yearly.

The problem is in the non-sense perception that at an macro-economic level money is actually a real thing. It is little pieces of paper with numbers on it. Oh, even more so, it's little electronic switches turned on and off.

So, what is the level of yearly comsumption that exceeds yearly production? Cuz, last I checked, farm and ranch families comprise just 2 percent of the U.S. population.

It is very important to know the difference between a thing, like food, and a number, like $100. Numbers are infinite.

Last edited:
Thanantos - works as a convenience store clerk
Templar - Unemployed and living at home

and the list goes on....

These people are advocating for people who don't give a shit about them. They are the poor and lower middle class of our country and yet they have actually been brainwashed to blame themselves for the problem of our country. Yet, they for some reason can't see what's happening.

I am a manager of a convenience store fuck nugget . If your going to make fun of my job get the title correct welfare queen.

Then you are in an income bracket that at the national level mostly votes Democrat.

You people keep making the nonsensical claim that Democrats want to keep the poor poor so that they'll keep voting Democrat;

the fact is that when poor people move out of poverty, they move into working class, lower middle class income brackets, for the most part,

and those brackets ALSO vote Democrat, for the most part. The absurd notion that Democrats need to keep people poor for the votes doesn't even make sense mathematically.

Sorry but I am not in a caste system where I have no free will. I know liberal policy doesn't help the poor it keeps them poor

tapatalk post

Never heard of that company. What service did they provide?

You're a grown adult who stocks shelves at a convenience store. Be careful about who you call a blithering fool.

He's an Honest Adult - who doesn't pretend to be something he's not which is more than can be said for you - ridiculing what somebody does for a living is pretty damn low - I surprised you didn't call him a dirty Paki or soem facsimile

I'm ridiculing him for being an idiot.

Physician heal thy self

tapatalk post

The point is that your points are meaningless. What percentage of TANF, WIC, and SNAP recipients are able bodied and have decided to not work because they recieve aid?

By the time you've excluded disabled, elderly, and truly needy people, exactly what percentage are you talking about and what is the distributions for "liberal" and "conservative" states?

That is the fucking point. You have no actual information to base your unqualified narrative. You've started with bullshit and done nothing to verify if it has any actual meaning.

In the mean time, I've found tons of real data. At the federal level, it can be found at

Search results | Office of Family Assistance | Administration for Children and Families[2377]=2377&topic[2353]=2353

and

FNS Program Data - SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
Research and Analysis | Food and Nutrition Service

And so far as I've seen so far, you are talking out of your ass.
What are you babbling about? it is fact that people needing foodstamps has increased.

You can't read, apparently. Of course people needing foodstamps has increased, population has increased. Unemployment increased on the recession of '09. The labor force participation rate has fallen since 2000.

See how it works? Dates, numbers.... It is called "counting". Source data..... it's called "facts".

Food-Stamps-Percent.jpg

Lol you blame the poor on population?

tapatalk post

I am a manager of a convenience store fuck nugget . If your going to make fun of my job get the title correct welfare queen.

Then you are in an income bracket that at the national level mostly votes Democrat.

You people keep making the nonsensical claim that Democrats want to keep the poor poor so that they'll keep voting Democrat;

the fact is that when poor people move out of poverty, they move into working class, lower middle class income brackets, for the most part,

and those brackets ALSO vote Democrat, for the most part. The absurd notion that Democrats need to keep people poor for the votes doesn't even make sense mathematically.

Sorry but I am not in a caste system where I have no free will. I know liberal policy doesn't help the poor it keeps them poor

tapatalk post

How exactly does giving the children of a minimum wage worker Medicaid keep the family poor?

Explain that in your broken English that we all find so charming.

Food-Stamps-Percent.jpg

Lol you blame the poor on population?

tapatalk post

So even the most basic concepts like "per capita" escape you.

Sorry dude, you simply demonsrate yourself to be woafully ignorant.

The singular overarching question is what percentage of the civilian population over 19 are receiving assistance, deemed capable of working, and not looking for work. That data is available from HHS and I've posted the link. Then the question is what the duration of assistance is. There is turnover in the assistance rolls.

What that number is, is simply called "fraud" and nobody doubts it's existance. Precisely, it is long term fraud.

This is the fundamental stupidity of the "unliberals" here. They don't get that the reality is already well established. They just can't properly use the language because they can't learn.

They could actually present factual numbers except for their inbridalled ignorance.

Last edited:
So here is an article that examines welfare fraud

How rampant is welfare fraud? - National Social Issues | Examiner.com

The reason that the OP is a meaningless non-sequiter is because what it is saying is that welfare programs cause welfare fraud. This, of course, is just stupid. It is like saying that speed limit signs cause speeders or libraries cause peole to steal books.

The case they want to make is called moral hazard. This is another term that seems to go unlearned.

Moral hazard is well recognized in the insurance business. When air bags were invented, accident rates increases as people felt safer. The term, "moral hazard" is a
bit of a misnomer though. No one would suggest that people get into airbag deploying accidents because they have diminished morals.

Fraud, though, does seem to fit the "moral" part. "Moral hazard" is, though, typically a neglect issue rather than an issue of intent.

And, as far as welfare programs go, they are typically means tested and require reporting active effort to get work.

Clearly, by the time we get to the level of active fraud, we have eliminated a sizable percentage of people. And no programs are ignoring it.

I am thinking that the "liberal policy" bs vs fraud is a matter of the "unliberals" trying to apply a subjective intent to the measure. The problem is, they simply can't get that intent cannot be objectively measured.

When properly stated, at least one source gives us;

While the use of food stamps has grown since the economic crash of 2008, the amount of some types of fraud associated with it have gone down. According to a new study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture, the instances of trafficking fraud have increased. However, the actual percentage of this particular type of fraud has dropped by four percent since the 1990’s.

What does your response have to do with the question I asked and you quoted?

Nothing. Thanks for proving my point.

That you proposals constitute pure madness.

I found that graphic at

united states - Does majority-white and majority-republican Owsley county have the highest SNAP usage? - Skeptics Stack Exchange

I verified the numbers.

USDA carries SNAP data with county level data from 2000 to 2010 at

USDA ERS - Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Data System

For Owsley County, 2010

Total population of 4764000 (POP10 )
Number of people in SNAP program 2481000 (PRGNUM10)
Number of people at or below poverty, 1866000 (NUMPOV10)

1866000/4764000 = 39.1% of Owsley County were at or below poverty in 2010.

2481000/4764000 = 52% (PRG_POP10) were in the SNAP program.

Owsley County is in District 5.

SNAP data for District 5 area available.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ORA/SNAPCharacteristics/Kentucky/Kentucky_5.pdf

If I read it correctly, District 5, Kentucky had a population of 256,573 in 2011.
27.5% were below the poverty level.
67,712 received SNAP benefits or 26%
97.9% of the population was white alone.
97.8% of the SNAP beneficiaries being white alone.

Owsley County seems to be the County within Distict 5 where poor folks live.

A nice general reference for SNAP is

The 2011 Characteristics is a nice general reference.

www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/2011Characteristics.pdf

That you proposals constitute pure madness.

What proposal? I asked a question.

It's almost as if you people either don't know how to read or you don't understand what it is that you are reading. Actually, it's not almost, that is what is happening here.

Jesus said that " the poor will always be with you " That is because the dumb, lazy, criminal minded, nuts, and their enablers will always be among us. However, when you reward irresponsibility you get more of it, and that is precisely what liberal policies do at the expense of the tax payer. If you want less of something - punish it.

Okay. So take Medicaid and food stamps away from the poor.

How soon before, en masse, they start getting less poor?

When they grab the pitchforks and torches and start storming gated communities.:razz:

Forum List

Back