How many hours must minimum-wage earners work to afford rent?

Real Median Income is not the same thing as Real Dollars.
It is when you're making claims on income in real dollars for the typical worker.

The chart I attached showed median individual income (typical worker) income in constant 2001 dollars, and it is much higher now than in the 1970s.

Here's the perfect link for you. It expalins in detail exactly what I'm posting and confirms my statement.
Average Hourly Earnings: Deciphering Historical Trends

80 hours or less per week? No one should have to work that many hours to afford rent. 40 hours should be the maximum for full time minimum wage employees. Good God, do people not have a life over there?

The more Democratic leaning states that are always championing a higher minimum wage also tend to be the least affordable places for minimum wage workers to live. On the flip side, the Republican leaning states who generally oppose increasing the minimum wage consequently are the most affordable places for that demographic to live.

Ummmmm, dumb question

Shouldn't we mandate a livable rent?????

If one is making minimum wage one isn't able to pay rent. Case closed. I don't care how cheap the area you live in is. One doesn't pay rent and feed oneself.
Maybe their parents should start charging them rent before they decide to make a life career of minimum wage jobs. At least this way, they'd know that in order to survive in society today, you have to aspire to more than a blunt in the evening after a long day of flipping burgers.

80 hours or less per week? No one should have to work that many hours to afford rent. 40 hours should be the maximum for full time minimum wage employees. Good God, do people not have a life over there?

yeah we have lives, ones that don't depend on other to pay for them
you all lost that drive somewhere, nothing to be proud of...you used to such free, hardy, independent people
now look at you demanding your health care be paid by others as it's a right

Last edited:

you all lost that drive somewhere, nothing to be proud of

If you are happy to work all day, come home and sleep, and do it all again seven days a week with no family time, then that is fine. I am free to think you are an idiot.

I doubt a minimum wage 40-hour-a-week worker could pay for more than a shared one room efficiency, if the worker lives in a metropolitan area with a weeks pay. I suppose they could go Section 8.
This just isn't true.

Most people just don't consider how inexpensive housing can be if you have roommates. There are all kinds of ads on craigslist for people looking for roomies in the $300-$400 range, some in apartments and some in houses. Like this:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/roo/4382634423.html
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/roo/4389089150.html

Sure it won't be the Taj Mahal, and as Gracie said alluded to you'll be buying clothes at thrift stores and not eating out a lot, but it is doable in most cities and plenty of people manage to pull it off.

You do know there's a shortage of affordable housing in America, don't you?
Facing a Critical Shortage of Affordable Housing
Affordable Housing Shortage | Challenges of Affordable Renting
Why the Rent Is Too Damn High
High rents: America?s ridiculous shortage of apartment buildings is pushing rents way up.
Nation's Renters Face Severe Affordable Rental Shortage
Nation's Renters Face Severe Affordable Rental Shortage: National Low Income Housing Coalition
The U.S. Simply Doesn't Have Enough Available Rental Housing, Whether You're Rich or Poor
The U.S. Simply Doesn't Have Enough Available Rental Housing, Whether You're Rich or Poor - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

then they best get a few roommates and stop whining.

If they really hate their standard of living.... they should work 120 hours a week to make it better for themselves.

anything else is just lazy and wanting a lifestyle they cant afford handed to them..... becasue they WANT it.

Last edited:
The more Democratic leaning states that are always championing a higher minimum wage also tend to be the least affordable places for minimum wage workers to live. On the flip side, the Republican leaning states who generally oppose increasing the minimum wage consequently are the most affordable places for that demographic to live.

Ummmmm, dumb question

its called section 8 housing.... and they still cry about getting a place to stay for FREE.

I you really hate your standard of living.... they should work 120 hours a week to make it better for themselves.

anything else is just lazy and wanting a lifestyle they cant afford handed to them..... becasue they WANT it.

8 hours is a comfortable working life. Anything else should be optional. I don't understand why people would work 18 hours a day and neglect their families.

Ummmmm, dumb question

its called section 8 housing.... and they still cry about getting a place to stay for FREE.

Silly me

If you are happy to work all day, come home and sleep, and do it all again seven days a week with no family time, then that is fine. I am free to think you are an idiot.

no problem because I see you as a spoiled brat of a human being who thinks you are entitled others taking care of you and do as little as possible for it
parasite is a good word sucking the life's blood of others

and THAT is exactly the mind set....

the "poor" don't feel the need to work long hard hours to get ahead. They feel the world OWES them becasue... poor babies... they worked 8 hours. Who doesn't want a life they are not EARNING afforded to them.....

Why do Republican leaning states have more working class poor?

I you really hate your standard of living.... they should work 120 hours a week to make it better for themselves.

8 hours is a comfortable working life. Anything else should be optional. I don't understand why people would work 18 hours a day and neglect their families.

fine

then they CHOOSE to be uncomfortable.... im good with that description of the lazy whiners.

I don't understand why some fool would create a family he/she couldn't afford to take care of on the wage they earned.

IF you have been doing the same minimum wage job for more than two years, and you are not in high school, the problem is not the wage you are making.

I don't understand why some fool would create a family he/she couldn't afford to take care of on the wage they earned.

exactly, but hey that's our fault too so we need to bow to their demands and GIVE them this thing called a LIVING wage...
I've never seen this country so full of helpless people...

Forum List

Back