How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

There you go again saying other churches are inferior and not churches. Total lie and distortion Jesus created a Catholic Church. You have zero Scripture to support such a ridicules claim.
500 years ago Luther did what was attempted a century before (stopped short by his torture and execution of your church) and that is actually teach the Bible to the people and put an end to the nonBiblical practices of your church that were created by men to control the population for the sake of power.

Why is it you keep calling your church inferior? Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Catholic perspective: From the time of Apostles, Christ founded ONE Church which he prayed would remain ONE. That Church is no longer one. During the Reformation, some churches left the full teaching of the Catholic Church declaring that fullness was not Biblical. They deleted some practices; they no longer follow them. Catholics continue to follow all (the fullness) of the Apostolic. teachings.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why you don't want to follow the fullness of Apostolic teachings, but at the same time don't want Catholics to note you are not following everything the Church has taught and continues to teach. This is silly.
People left a cult that does not follow the Bible.

Which one are you?

I've always been a religion nerd. I'm drawn to spiritual themes.

I was baptized Catholic to please my grandfather, but that was the only time my parents took me to Mass. I used to request to go with my grandparents and they took me several times as a youngster.

Like most teens I became a materialist. In college I got into eastern religions. Also got into backpacking in the wilderness which is often a religious experience for me.

In my 30s I actually was confirmed in the Catholic Church. I did the whole RCIA program for like 9 months. I was rooted in that faith for about 6 years.

Now I'd say I'm post-Catholic. It was an important and positive step on my faith journey.

Cult? You may be interested in what the non-Catholic Christian Research Institute has to say about that.

Is Catholicism a Cult? - Christian Research Institute
The divergence from Biblical teachings into manmade teachings created to control and profit from the people.

Like I said, you need to open your world up, go to other Churches instead of wanting to deny Christ.

Cult? You may be interested in what the non-Catholic Christian Research Institute has to say about that.

From your link:
(2) Cults are usually formed, molded, and controlled by a single individual or small group.
Rome

3) Cults typically exercise rigid control over their members and demand unquestioning submission, with disobedience punished by shunning and/or excommunication.
Excommunication and labeling everyone else as inferior.

(4) An appropriate description of a cult is “a religious group originating as a heretical sect and maintaining fervent commitment to heresy.
NonBiblical teachings and practices.

(5) Cults (when defined as heretical sects) are classified as such because of their outright denial or rejection of essential Christian doctrine.
See my post on Mary worship, saints of inanimate objects, appointment of saints, etc etc.

(6) Cults frequently have a low view of the Bible, replacing or supplementing it with their own so-called “sacred writings.”
Walk into any Catholic Church. No Bibles in the open. Manmade teachings and practices.

(7) Cults usually have some kind of authoritarian, totalistic leader or prophet.
Pope.

(8) A frequent characteristic of cults is their emphasis on a “remnant identity” — that is, they claim to be God’s exclusive agent or people who restore “authentic Christianity,” which has been corrupted or lost.
Pope and insisting everyone else is wrong.

From your link:
(2) Cults are usually formed, molded, and controlled by a single individual or small group.
Rome

3) Cults typically exercise rigid control over their members and demand unquestioning submission, with disobedience punished by shunning and/or excommunication.

(4) An appropriate description of a cult is “a religious group originating as a heretical sect and maintaining fervent commitment to heresy.

(5) Cults (when defined as heretical sects) are classified as such because of their outright denial or rejection of essential Christian doctrine.
See my post on Mary worship, saints of inanimate objects, appointment of saints, etc etc.

(6) Cults frequently have a low view of the Bible, replacing or supplementing it with their own so-called “sacred writings.”
Walk into any Catholic Church. No Bibles in the open. Manmade teachings and practices.

(7) Cults usually have some kind of authoritarian, totalistic leader or prophet.
Pope.

(8) A frequent characteristic of cults is their emphasis on a “remnant identity” — that is, they claim to be God’s exclusive agent or people who restore “authentic Christianity,” which has been corrupted or lost.

And the same link answered each one of these. Look intently...

The divergence from Biblical teachings into manmade teachings created to control and profit from the people.

Like I said, you need to open your world up, go to other Churches instead of wanting to deny Christ.

Once again you missed a vital point. I've studied other denominations. For years. That is why I would convert to Judaism instead of your brand of Christianity. If your denomination works for you, then stay with it. I will not give up what I have--and what I have couldn't have happened in your church.

I was born into a Methodist family, very religious parents. It didn't "take" with me but I believe there are good values that Christianity teaches. I always liked the American Indian concept of "The Great Spirit" so I guess I'm a Spiritist.

Which one are you?

I've always been a religion nerd. I'm drawn to spiritual themes.

I was baptized Catholic to please my grandfather, but that was the only time my parents took me to Mass. I used to request to go with my grandparents and they took me several times as a youngster.

Like most teens I became a materialist. In college I got into eastern religions. Also got into backpacking in the wilderness which is often a religious experience for me.

In my 30s I actually was confirmed in the Catholic Church. I did the whole RCIA program for like 9 months. I was rooted in that faith for about 6 years.

Now I'd say I'm post-Catholic. It was an important and positive step on my faith journey.
real talk

From your link:
Rome

Pope.

And the same link answered each one of these. Look intently...
I correctly filled out their points. If you have Scripture or anything to rebut, please do so. But I'm right on each.

I correctly filled out their points. If you have Scripture or anything to rebut, please do so. But I'm right on each.

In your own mind, yes. Do you ever tire of creating your straw men? I find reality and truth to be better companions.

I understand people, being unique, see the world of religion and religious beliefs, from different perspectives. You do not know Catholicism, you have never lived it, and you have developed some clumsy, blind scenario of what you imagine the Catholic faith must be. You have no interest in seeing from a new perspective. I assure you, it is not scary--and it is not threatening.

I hope you have a pleasant day.

In your own mind, yes. Do you ever tire of creating your straw men? I find reality and truth to be better companions.

I understand people, being unique, see the world of religion and religious beliefs, from different perspectives. You do not know Catholicism, you have never lived it, and you have developed some clumsy, blind scenario of what you imagine the Catholic faith must be. You have no interest in seeing from a new perspective. I assure you, it is not scary--and it is not threatening.

I hope you have a pleasant day.
I know Catholiicis. I specifically listed nonBiblical practices of the RC. Unlike the RC, I understand and follow the Bible. It's why you can't tell me any Scripture on any issue to rebut, because no Scripture exists.

All I say is Christians must do their best to follow the Bible. And the RC says that's not a true Christian practice. Satan is dancing with delight he has so many of you fooled.

I know Catholiicis. I specifically listed nonBiblical practices of the RC. Unlike the RC, I understand and follow the Bible. It's why you can't tell me any Scripture on any issue to rebut, because no Scripture exists.

I told you before: I am not going to play scripture poker with you. I've found that is a waste of time. If you know the Bible as well as you claim, then you know the passages are right there front and center. I've already figured out you either don't know the Bible very well--or, you do not know Catholicism at all. Possibly, it is both.

The problem I have with a few non-Catholic Christians is that they make up their own Bible interpretations, claiming it to be the work of the Holy Spirit. That their interpretations contradict other "inspired" interpretations, not to mention the Bible passage itself, bothers them not at all. They have that much faith in their own private inspiration/revelation.

I prefer to go back to the original author's intent; the audience he is addressing; which means also studying the history, culture, and languages of that time.

I told you before: I am not going to play scripture poker with you. I've found that is a waste of time. If you know the Bible as well as you claim, then you know the passages are right there front and center. I've already figured out you either don't know the Bible very well--or, you do not know Catholicism at all. Possibly, it is both.

The problem I have with a few non-Catholic Christians is that they make up their own Bible interpretations, claiming it to be the work of the Holy Spirit. That their interpretations contradict other "inspired" interpretations, not to mention the Bible passage itself, bothers them not at all. They have that much faith in their own private inspiration/revelation.

I prefer to go back to the original author's intent; the audience he is addressing; which means also studying the history, culture, and languages of that time.
No, your Pope tells you how to interpret the Bible. And you telling me to go on a wild goose chase looking for Scripture I know isn't there instead of you simply being able to state it shows who does not know Scripture. Any good Christian has an understanding of at least knowing where to look and find things.

Praying to Mary and your St Isidore of Seville will get you absolutely nothing.

No, your Pope tells you how to interpret the Bible. And you telling me to go on a wild goose chase looking for Scripture I know isn't there instead of you simply being able to state it shows who does not know Scripture. Any good Christian has an understanding of at least knowing where to look and find things.

It is obvious that you have never been to a Catholic Bible study. In the ones I have attended we read commentaries from both Catholics and non-Catholics. We share. And no one goes away with the exact same understanding, because no one's lives are the same. Certain passages speak to certain individuals. They have meaning for the individual life. That is why it is good to start with the writer's intent and his original audience. From there, it expands. As I've never been to a Bible study with any Pope, I have no idea of what his input might be.

It's no wild goose chase. As I said before, Catholic teachings, beliefs, and practices are there in the Bible in plain sight. Start with what Jesus did; then follow up with his commands. It is not that difficult. I don't understand why you find it so.

When I pray with any member of the Body of Christ, I have Jesus' assurance he is there as well. It astonishes me that you believe that someone else's prayers on your behalf go unheard, and that you don't believe in asking others to pray for you.

It is obvious that you have never been to a Catholic Bible study. In the ones I have attended we read commentaries from both Catholics and non-Catholics. We share. And no one goes away with the exact same understanding, because no one's lives are the same. Certain passages speak to certain individuals. They have meaning for the individual life. That is why it is good to start with the writer's intent and his original audience. From there, it expands. As I've never been to a Bible study with any Pope, I have no idea of what his input might be.

It's no wild goose chase. As I said before, Catholic teachings, beliefs, and practices are there in the Bible in plain sight. Start with what Jesus did; then follow up with his commands. It is not that difficult. I don't understand why you find it so.

When I pray with any member of the Body of Christ, I have Jesus' assurance he is there as well. It astonishes me that you believe that someone else's prayers on your behalf go unheard, and that you don't believe in asking others to pray for you.
There you go again. A "Catholic" Bible study. A Bible study is a Bible study. But you inject your official dogma handed down from Rome into it and call it a "Catholic Bible study.

You keep stating your practices are supported by the Bible and I keep asking for evidence. I was trying to prod you into doing some research so you can see it's not there, but obviously you don't want your notions disturbed. The dead do not hear you, nor do your idols take care of inanimate objects. No one is sitting around in heaven waiting for some people in Rome to make them a saint and then have those people assign them the job as an overseer of iPhones. Paying money to get out of a fictional purgatory is a scam. The Pope has the same access to God as the guy sleeping on the street corner.

A Christian should be able to defend their faith using Scripture. To evangelize one must know Scripture. I'm not seeing that from you and just wanted to challenge you. You can't bring anyone to Christ by just saying go read the Bible, it's all there. It disturbs me a Catholic says they would deny Christ. It disturbs me there are so many nonBiblical practices considered to be normal in the RC.

Have a good day.

There you go again. A "Catholic" Bible study. A Bible study is a Bible study. But you inject your official dogma handed down from Rome into it and call it a "Catholic Bible study.

Another misinterpretation of what I said. When I said "Catholic Bible Study" it meant that all of us who were doing that particular study (all lay people, no clergy involved) were of the Catholic faith. You must have skipped over the part where I said the resources we used were both Catholic and non-Catholic.

Let's try this: Can you, in one sentence (two at the most), sum up the difference in belief between Catholic and non-Catholic belief?

Another misinterpretation of what I said. When I said "Catholic Bible Study" it meant that all of us who were doing that particular study (all lay people, no clergy involved) were of the Catholic faith. You must have skipped over the part where I said the resources we used were both Catholic and non-Catholic.

Let's try this: Can you, in one sentence (two at the most), sum up the difference in belief between Catholic and non-Catholic belief?
Just as I've been saying over and over. Catholics follow nonBiblical teachings and practices. Just as Mormons do, Scientology, Jehovahs Witness, etc etc. If it is not in the Bible it is a dangerous manmade teaching.

Just as I've been saying over and over. Catholics follow nonBiblical teachings and practices. Just as Mormons do, Scientology, Jehovahs Witness, etc etc. If it is not in the Bible it is a dangerous manmade teaching.

Not what I asked. Sum up the difference in belief. Both Catholics and non-Catholics follow the Bible. What is your belief of what the Bible teaches compared to Catholic belief of what the Bible teaches?

Forum List

Back