How One Man Is Redefining 'Responsible' Gun Ownership

He's making a statement by this action, I'm sure everybody that believes in freedom of speech will support him even if they are ardent opponents of gun control.
What statement did he actually make? No, I don't support him, why should I? And how is it a freedom of speech issue? You make no sense.

i.e. SCOTUS equated an action (donating money to a political campaign) to freedom of speech. That way oversimplifies of course but you see where I'm going. The action this guy took with his gun would be considered a form of speech and therefore protected under the 1st.
His statement was symbolically to the NRA "I'm a responsible gun owner and I don't want you using me to defend your refusal to consider reasonable gun control efforts". Your opinion as well is protected. A rational discourse could take place if both sides weren't so fired up about the issue.

He's making a statement by this action, I'm sure everybody that believes in freedom of speech will support him even if they are ardent opponents of gun control.
What statement did he actually make? No, I don't support him, why should I? And how is it a freedom of speech issue? You make no sense.

i.e. SCOTUS equated an action (donating money to a political campaign) to freedom of speech. That way oversimplifies of course but you see where I'm going. The action this guy took with his gun would be considered a form of speech and therefore protected under the 1st.
His statement was symbolically to the NRA "I'm a responsible gun owner and I don't want you using me to defend your refusal to consider reasonable gun control efforts". Your opinion as well is protected. A rational discourse could take place if both sides weren't so fired up about the issue.

You guys keep saying the NRA doesn't support reasonable gun control......what exactly are those reasonable gun control measures.......? You keep saying it but don't actually say what they have done...I know that is a great tactic for demonizing one of the groups fighting your anti gun agenda...but it would be nice to know exactly what you are lying about....

We actually have had rational discussions here...and then the anti gunners start talking about penises and it goes to hell............

We have discussed licensing, registration and universal background checks, we have exposed why those three things do not do anything you guys say you want done....and explained how they simply target people who don't commit crimes...

Then some of you start talking about sex and penises....

And the rest then say we don't want any laws for anything....and then say we are the irrational ones.

See how that goes.....

You missed the point, how is it a freedom issue, period? Who said he couldn't destroy his firearm? Is wiping your ass a freedom of speech issue?

A broken gun says absolutely nothing except the gun is broke, what's wrong with you? If I tear up my lawnmower is that a cry for everyone to let their grass grow? You can assign anything to anything but if you have to explain it, you failed.

If 4 million reasonable, responsible people joined the NRA, we could "disarm" that vile organization from within. We could attend meetings, vote out the current leadership and return the NRA to its original purpose as a hunter safety organization rather than the radical gun advocacy organization it is today.
It went that way because of assholes like you. Nobody thought about taking somebody else's gun away until liberalism took hold.

If 4 million reasonable, responsible people joined the NRA, we could "disarm" that vile organization from within. We could attend meetings, vote out the current leadership and return the NRA to its original purpose as a hunter safety organization rather than the radical gun advocacy organization it is today.
It went that way because of assholes like you. Nobody thought about taking somebody else's gun away until liberalism took hold.
Ya know, every election the NRA rolls out the scare tactics. Every elections n I see ads from the lying, vile, extremist NRA telling the gullible and the ignorant that some or all the Democrat candidates have plans in their pockets to take a shot gun or hunting rifle away.

And, being gullible and ignorant, people who would otherwise vote a Democratic ticket based on the issues that ar real in their lives, vote for some Conservative crackpot backed by the NRA.

It's really quite pitiful when you consider they're voted based on a lie.

Ya know, every election the NRA rolls out the scare tactics. Every elections n I see ads from the lying, vile, extremist NRA telling the gullible and the ignorant that some or all the Democrat candidates have plans in their pockets to take a shot gun or hunting rifle away.

And, being gullible and ignorant, people who would otherwise vote a Democratic ticket based on the issues that ar real in their lives, vote for some Conservative crackpot backed by the NRA.

Libs talk about getting rid of guns here every day. It's a real issue. A losing issue for the left. Sorry.

Libs talk about getting rid of guns here every day. It's a real issue. A losing issue for the left. Sorry.
Liberals here on USMB? Sure. We're all running for office and we all want to confiscate your personal firearms.

Liberals here on USMB? Sure. We're all running for office and we all want to confiscate your personal firearms.
Liberals here, there, everywhere have no original thoughts in their heads. You talk to one lib, you talked to them all.

I don't give a rats furry ass if he or anyone else chooses to destroy their own gun just stay off my back about mine.

Since we are a nation of laws - you will obey the law or suffer the consequences.
Pretty dam funny coming from the supporter of a President who has made picking and choosing the laws he wishes to see enforced common place.

Yep, first you came for the AR15. Nexty you'll come for the handguns. Then the semi automatic shotguns and the pump actions and the lever actions...then certain calibers...

We've already seen this show...not in the U.S. thank God, we have some protection via the Constitution.

So, instead of going after the NRA with your propaganda...repeal the Second Amendment...we'll wait.

56192f981400002200c79a2c.jpeg

A lifelong gun owner explains why he is destroying his gun.

Usually, "responsible gun ownership" refers to someone using their weapon safely. But for lifelong gun owner Steve Elliott, it means taking responsibility for America’s epidemic of gun violence and the lax regulations that have allowed it.

That is how Elliott, who owns a copywriting and public relations agency in Northern California, explained his decision to destroy his handgun in a Facebook post on Monday. By early Saturday afternoon, more than 28,000 people had shared the post, which included a photo of his disassembled 9mm Ruger handgun.

Elliott describes himself as a quintessential example of the responsible gun owner, using firearms only for sport and protection. He decided to destroy his gun not because of anything he has done personally but because he is fed up with how the concept of “responsible” gun ownership has been used to block gun safety laws.

“My gun is being used to argue against common-sense laws and policies that could reduce gun violence in America, arguments I find unconscionable,” Elliott wrote. “That’s what being a responsible gun owner means today – I’m responsible. I’ve been uneasy about that for a while now, and ashamed to admit it’s taken two more mass shootings for me to do anything about it.”

Though he has never used his weapon to hurt himself or others, Elliott wrote that his life has been scarred by gun violence. His grandmother used a gun to kill herself; his father attempted suicide with a gun and someone murdered his stepbrother with a gun before committing suicide. His sister’s coworker lost her husband to a mass shooting.

“None of us individually can stop gun violence in America, but as a responsible gun owner, I will no longer be used as a justification for doing nothing about it,” Elliott concluded. “Today I did what I could. Today there is #ONELESSGUN.”

Other gun control advocates have taken a different approach, mobilizing gun owners who support gun control in order to show that the National Rifle Association's opposition to virtually all regulation does not represent them.

Andy Nieto of eastern Tennessee also got rid of his guns out of disgust with the NRA after the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut, massacre. He turned his pistol into a paperweight.

5619568b1400002200c79a3b.jpeg

How One Man Is Redefining 'Responsible' Gun Ownership

I applaud Steve Elliott and Andy Nieto for getting rid of their guns out of disgust with the NRA. I've been disgusted with the NRA since radicals took it over in 1977. Although I'm not ready to dispose of my guns, I agree that it's up to responsible gun owners to bring about change by fighting back against the NRA lobbying machine. BTW, archery is fun.

How NRA’s true believers converted a marksmanship group into a mighty gun lobby

Good for them. Absolutely meaningless and it will have zero effect on the whole, but good for them.

I don't give a rats furry ass if he or anyone else chooses to destroy their own gun just stay off my back about mine.

Since we are a nation of laws - you will obey the law or suffer the consequences.

Actually, since obukmmer has decided that he can pick and choose which ones he is going to follow I think the entire rest of the country should follow suit. You reap what you sow... baby....

And every time a democrat gun free zone takes a life they wade through the blood and bodies to blame the NRA and guns....instead of their social policies and gun free zone policies...

And every time a democrat gun free zone takes a life they wade through the blood and bodies to blame the NRA and guns....instead of their social policies and gun free zone policies...
And that's because of the power one lobby has. The intractability of that lobby is directly responsible for our unprecedented level of gunshot deaths. No responsible study, no compromise on the issue. They have handcuffed the American public to a Dodge City mindset.

Pardon the mixed metaphor, but it's Sunday and a day of rest.

Forum List

Back