How Pat Buchanan Wants To Keep The GOP White

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Pat Buchanan has a plan to win more white voters for the GOP.

In an article published by the website World Net Daily last week, Buchanan describes increased black voter turnout and Latino demographic growth as a “crisis for the Grand Old Party.” To combat it, the conservative pundit implies that the Republican Party should adopt a new version of the “Southern Strategy” revolving around immigration.

The Southern Strategy, first adopted by Richard Nixon, aimed to cultivate the support of Southern voters in part by appealing to racial tensions while avoiding overt racism. The strategy played a key role in alienating African-American voters from the GOP.

But Buchanan thinks it’s gotten a bad rap. It did, after all, play well in the electoral college:

After Richard Nixon cobbled together his New Majority, the GOP carried 49 states in 1972 and 1984, 44 states in 1980 and 40 in 1988. In four elections – 1972, 1984, 1988 and 2004 – the Republican Party swept all 11 states of FDR’s “Solid South.”
Such were the fruits of that evil Southern Strategy.

Pat Buchanan Calls For ?Southern Strategy' Against Latinos, Immigrants

buchanan-nazi-garb.jpg

My question to Pat is when did the GOP stop using the Southern Strategy? My answer is NEVER and it has already been involving more and more adapting to the new reality for the GOP and that is the U.S. is becoming more and more of a Country of Color and it has white supremacists like Pat loosing their got damn minds.

Not sure how the piece is about "how Pat Buchanan wants to keep the GOP white", the title of this thread and (not coincidentally) a HuffPost article. It appears to be questioning the GOP's apparent willingness to allow X million illegals to ultimately become voters who will most likely vote Democrat. Evidently the argument is that he's saying not to allow any of them into the GOP.

Oh well, intellectual honesty is now optional, what the hell.

Last edited:

Not sure how the piece is about "how Pat Buchanan wants to keep the GOP white", the title of this thread and (not coincidentally) a HuffPost article. It appears to be questioning the GOP's apparent willingness to allow X million illegals to ultimately become voters who will most likely vote Democrat. Evidently the argument is that he's saying not to allow any of them into the GOP.

Oh well, intellectual honesty is now optional, what the hell.

Anyone knowledgeable about Buchanan and his work, knows he's pretty much a racist and a bigot. That said, he's also extremely personable and very intelligent.

He's been in the game a very long time and knows the ins and outs.

He greatly contributes to the national discussion from a viewpoint that is not well or completely understood.

Last edited:

I suspect I haven't followed him as much as you have, but I'd agree that he's a brilliant guy. Watching him discuss American history and/or global geo-political history is pretty amazing. I think his time of relevance, such as it was, has long since passed, though.

He strikes me as a guy who essentially doesn't have a filter, he'll just say whatever comes to mind without worrying about how it will be perceived, and I like that part of him. I've not followed him enough to know whether he's a classical racist or a guy who is perceived as one because he gives no person or group quarter - but he's now pretty much just sitting in the corner babbling.

I do seem to remember him pissing off the GOP a few times, and anyone who angers both parties does grab my attention from time to time.

PB is proposing that the GOP pander to anti-immigrantion White voters.

I thought they've been doing that all along.

I suspect I haven't followed him as much as you have, but I'd agree that he's a brilliant guy. Watching him discuss American history and/or global geo-political history is pretty amazing. I think his time of relevance, such as it was, has long since passed, though.

He strikes me as a guy who essentially doesn't have a filter, he'll just say whatever comes to mind without worrying about how it will be perceived, and I like that part of him. I've not followed him enough to know whether he's a classical racist or a guy who is perceived as one because he gives no person or group quarter - but he's now pretty much just sitting in the corner babbling.

I do seem to remember him pissing off the GOP a few times, and anyone who angers both parties does grab my attention from time to time.

Well he's still on the McClaughlin Group. I try to catch that when ever I can. And he generally leaves his racist rants for his books. On politics he's spot on. He was great on the Rachel Maddow show. The two had some genuine chemistry as I suspect they personally liked each other. It's a real shame he was booted from MSNBC.

My whole idea is that if you're pissing off both parties, you're doing something right!

Pat Buchanan has a plan to win more white voters for the GOP.

In an article published by the website World Net Daily last week, Buchanan describes increased black voter turnout and Latino demographic growth as a “crisis for the Grand Old Party.” To combat it, the conservative pundit implies that the Republican Party should adopt a new version of the “Southern Strategy” revolving around immigration.

The Southern Strategy, first adopted by Richard Nixon, aimed to cultivate the support of Southern voters in part by appealing to racial tensions while avoiding overt racism. The strategy played a key role in alienating African-American voters from the GOP.

But Buchanan thinks it’s gotten a bad rap. It did, after all, play well in the electoral college:

After Richard Nixon cobbled together his New Majority, the GOP carried 49 states in 1972 and 1984, 44 states in 1980 and 40 in 1988. In four elections – 1972, 1984, 1988 and 2004 – the Republican Party swept all 11 states of FDR’s “Solid South.”
Such were the fruits of that evil Southern Strategy.

Pat Buchanan Calls For ?Southern Strategy' Against Latinos, Immigrants

And if voting patterns stayed the same, he might have had a point.

IN 1976, Whites made up 92% of the electorate. Which means if voting percentages were the same, McCain would have won in 2008, and Romney would have won in 2012.

The GOP of the past did do a lot of appeals to white people's racism... Reagan's imaginary welfare queen, Bush's Willie Horton Ad, Jesse Helms' "White Hands" ad, and so on.

Today, that stuff doesn't fly. Romney tried to hug the Birthers, and he got slapped down for it.

It's not just that this kind of thing turns off minorities, it turns off whites with any sense of decency.

My whole idea is that if you're pissing off both parties, you're doing something right!

Or something horribly wrong.

What I like about Buchanan is that he was the one who has the balls to point out that globalization and free trade are horrible ideas for the American Middle class, while the rest of his party was drinking the koolaid.

He also points out our blind support for Zionism is foolish and gets us into trouble we don't need, and is especially foolish for the GOP, given 70% of Jewish folks vote Democratic no matter how many times Barry disses Bibi.

All that said- his repeated appeals to homophobia, religous bigotry, racism and isolationism are out of step with the real world, and really kind of is seated in a sort of Xenophobia. He's deathly afraid of that is different.

What I like about Buchanan is that he was the one who has the balls to point out that globalization and free trade are horrible ideas for the American Middle class, while the rest of his party was drinking the koolaid.

He also points out our blind support for Zionism is foolish and gets us into trouble we don't need, and is especially foolish for the GOP, given 70% of Jewish folks vote Democratic no matter how many times Barry disses Bibi.

All that said- his repeated appeals to homophobia, religous bigotry, racism and isolationism are out of step with the real world, and really kind of is seated in a sort of Xenophobia. He's deathly afraid of that is different.

Man, leave it to "I hate the world" Joe Blow to ruin the mood.

Man, leave it to "I hate the world" Joe Blow to ruin the mood.

Not really.

The only reason why Buchanan's racism, sexism and homophobia is tolerated is because he's been a Washington Media insider since the Nixon days. They just don't want to throw him out of the club.

Helen Thomas suggested that European Zionists should go back to Europe, and she was out of there. But she made these kinds of comments for decades, but was considered the "Grand Dame" of the White House press corps.

But please continue with your "mood" that as long as someone ticks off those mean old political parties, we should ignore his homophobia, sexism and racism.

"white" has become the NEW Racism and the Hufferpost has no problems spreading it..

Forum List

Back