How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

You ever wonder why you get much better service in a Costco than you do Walmart? Look into how the two treat their workers. There's your answer.

I understand the difference. Either way I don't see doom. But the right has claimed $15 would doom jobs.

Interesting that you felt a need to misrepresent that.

The Right has claimed that mandatory 15$ would doom jobs.

THe Right started this thread to celebrate 15$ an hour, though market forces.

Yes, pretty funny.

How is it funny?

Are you saying that HOW you get to a point, can't effect the results?

All the reasons given for why $15 will doom jobs would be in effect regardless of how you get there.

HOw do you know that?

$15 is $15 no matter how you get to it.

I will never get why the left always says there is jobs Americans refuse to do....they are retarded if you pay a high enough wage......

How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

Christopher Ranch, which grows garlic on 5,000 acres in Gilroy, Calif., announced recently that it would hike pay for farmworkers from $11 an hour to $13 hour this year, or 18%, and then to $15 in 2018. That’s four years earlier than what’s required by California’s schedule for minimum wage increases.

Ken Christopher, vice president at Christopher Ranch, said the effect of the move was immediately obvious. At the end of last year, the farm was short 50 workers needed to help peel, package and roast garlic. Within two weeks of upping wages in January, applications flooded in. Now the company has a wait-list 150 people long.

here's a right winger's "honest" [albeit, unwittingly] admission that RAISING the minimum wage is an economic windfall.....

Last edited:
Interesting that you felt a need to misrepresent that.

The Right has claimed that mandatory 15$ would doom jobs.

THe Right started this thread to celebrate 15$ an hour, though market forces.

Yes, pretty funny.

How is it funny?

All the reasons given for why $15 will doom jobs would be in effect regardless of how you get there.

HOw do you know that?

YOu made a claim. I asked you how you knew that.

Your response did not explain how you knew that. Presumably because you can't.

THis is where you admit that you can't support your claim and you are dropping it,

or you double down on your dishonesty.

I will never get why the left always says there is jobs Americans refuse to do....they are retarded if you pay a high enough wage......

Christopher Ranch, which grows garlic on 5,000 acres in Gilroy, Calif., announced recently that it would hike pay for farmworkers from $11 an hour to $13 hour this year, or 18%, and then to $15 in 2018. That’s four years earlier than what’s required by California’s schedule for minimum wage increases.

Ken Christopher, vice president at Christopher Ranch, said the effect of the move was immediately obvious. At the end of last year, the farm was short 50 workers needed to help peel, package and roast garlic. Within two weeks of upping wages in January, applications flooded in. Now the company has a wait-list 150 people long.

here's a right winger's "honest" [albeit, unwittingly] admission that RAISING the minimum wage is an economic windfall.....

Your lie is an admission that you know you are wrong.

Yes, pretty funny.

How is it funny?

HOw do you know that?

YOu made a claim. I asked you how you knew that.

Your response did not explain how you knew that. Presumably because you can't.

THis is where you admit that you can't support your claim and you are dropping it,

or you double down on your dishonesty.

Again $15 is $15. You made the claim it isn't. I don't need to prove $15 is $15. That is very clear.

And who applied ?

White people ?

I'd be curious.

Once again a retarded lefty can not figure out the difference between government artificially raising wages and the market .

Wouldn't the effect of the wage stay the same? If $15 is going to cause job loss and price increases via min wage, won't it do the same if caused by the market?

Not at all because it's not across the board. Each market will determine what wage will attract workers.

What is going to be below garlic farmers? I don't see how the same people can call for doom with a $15 min wage, but then applaud it when the market reaches $15. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The difference is between encouraging an economy where market forces lead to rising wages and better standards of living for Americans,

rather than using government force to make employers pay more when the economy does NOT call for it, and won't support it.

I understand the difference. Either way I don't see doom. But the right has claimed $15 would doom jobs.

$15 would prevent many unskilled workers from ever getting a job.
It would cost other low-skilled workers the jobs they already have.

Wouldn't the effect of the wage stay the same? If $15 is going to cause job loss and price increases via min wage, won't it do the same if caused by the market?

Not at all because it's not across the board. Each market will determine what wage will attract workers.

What is going to be below garlic farmers? I don't see how the same people can call for doom with a $15 min wage, but then applaud it when the market reaches $15. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The difference is between encouraging an economy where market forces lead to rising wages and better standards of living for Americans,

rather than using government force to make employers pay more when the economy does NOT call for it, and won't support it.

So the OP will lead to bad things is your claim?

The min wage of 1968 would be at least $11. You know, the good old days. Pass a comprehensive bill and good ss id card FERCHRISSAKE....

The min wage of 1968 would be at least $11.

Link?
Adjusted for inflation, the federal minimum wage is worth less than 50 ...
www.cnbc.com/.../adjusted-for-inflation-the-federal-minimum-wage-is-worth-less-tha...
Jul 21, 2016 - The buying power of the federal minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation, despite periodic increases. ... Data show that in 1968, the federal minimum was equivalent to ... "Our members don't feel they can absorb the increase and the ... Data is a real-time snapshot *Data is delayed at least 15 minutes
40% Of US Workers Now Earn Less Than 1968 Minimum Wage | Zero ...
www.zerohedge.com/news/2013.../40-us-workers-now-earn-less-1968-minimum-wag...
Aug 5, 2013 - Unfortunately, what pretty much everyone can agree on is that American ... Back in 1968, theminimum wage in the United States was $1.60 an hour. ... real median wages dropped by at least 5% in five of the top 10 low-wage ...
5 facts about the minimum wage | Pew Research Center
www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/04/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/
Jan 4, 2017 - 1Adjusted for inflation, the federal minimum wage peaked in 1968 at ... and therefore alsowould benefit if the federal minimum is raised to that amount. ... as “tip credits” bring their pay up to atleast the applicable minimum.).

Happy content workers make for better workers. Miserable slaves are not nearly as productive. A good owner or management should understand that. If you treat employees well, it will be reflected in their performance. You pay a worker $7-8 an hr, you get a $7-8 an hr worker. It is what it is.

Not according to a Harvard Business study:

Do Employees Work Harder for Higher Pay?

If an unskilled worker can't add enough value picking garlic to earn $15, he won't be hired to pick garlic.
If a current garlic picker at $13 doesn't add enough value to earn the higher wage, he'll lose his job.

Should the government be making these decisions for all businesses?
Should businesses make these decisions for themselves?

If an unskilled worker can't add enough value picking garlic to earn $15, he won't be hired to pick garlic.
If a current garlic picker at $13 doesn't add enough value to earn the higher wage, he'll lose his job.

Depends on whether one is an adult or a child. Children need the Gov to run every aspect of their lives.

Last edited:

So then $15 will be fine?

Once again a retarded lefty can not figure out the difference between government artificially raising wages and the market .

What we claimed is that it would reduce labor, and we are correct. McDonald's and Wendy's are both investing in automation now. When you buy machines to replace humans, it does cost jobs.

So then $15 will be fine?

Many firms pay much more than $15 an hour, voluntarily, and that's fine.

Many firms can't pay $15 an hour and remain viable.

What we claimed is that it would reduce labor, and we are correct. McDonald's and Wendy's are both investing in automation now. When you buy machines to replace humans, it does cost jobs.

So then the OP is bad news. Why can they afford to pay executives so much?

To keep crops from rotting in the field, farmers say they need Trump to let in more temporary workers

To keep crops from rotting in the field, farmers say they need Trump to let in more temporary workers
Time for work requirements to get a welfare check.

I am fine with you being required to work before you get your welfare check.
Only one party opposes it.

Which party is trying to take away your welfare check?

Says greedy idiot billionaire brainwashers and their dupes...

Forum List

Back