How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist

Wouldn't the effect of the wage stay the same? If $15 is going to cause job loss and price increases via min wage, won't it do the same if caused by the market?

Not at all because it's not across the board. Each market will determine what wage will attract workers.

What is going to be below garlic farmers? I don't see how the same people can call for doom with a $15 min wage, but then applaud it when the market reaches $15. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The difference is between encouraging an economy where market forces lead to rising wages and better standards of living for Americans,

rather than using government force to make employers pay more when the economy does NOT call for it, and won't support it.

I understand the difference. Either way I don't see doom. But the right has claimed $15 would doom jobs.

What we claimed is that it would reduce labor, and we are correct. McDonald's and Wendy's are both investing in automation now. When you buy machines to replace humans, it does cost jobs.

Actually every industry- regardless of minimum wage- is trying to replace humans with machines.
At most- at the very most- increased minimum wage may have accelerated McDonald and Wendy's trend towards automation.

Automation will be happening with- or without minimum wage increases.

Not at all because it's not across the board. Each market will determine what wage will attract workers.

What is going to be below garlic farmers? I don't see how the same people can call for doom with a $15 min wage, but then applaud it when the market reaches $15. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The difference is between encouraging an economy where market forces lead to rising wages and better standards of living for Americans,

rather than using government force to make employers pay more when the economy does NOT call for it, and won't support it.

I understand the difference. Either way I don't see doom. But the right has claimed $15 would doom jobs.

What we claimed is that it would reduce labor, and we are correct. McDonald's and Wendy's are both investing in automation now. When you buy machines to replace humans, it does cost jobs.

So then the OP is bad news. Why can they afford to pay executives so much?

A farm has an "executive"?

Wouldn't the effect of the wage stay the same? If $15 is going to cause job loss and price increases via min wage, won't it do the same if caused by the market?

You have numbers that labor has been reduced?

$15 would prevent many unskilled workers from ever getting a job.
It would cost other low-skilled workers the jobs they already have.
Says greedy idiot billionaire brainwashers and their dupes...

No, says the Corps already investing machines to replace workers.

A farm has an "executive"?

He was referencing McDonalds and Wendy's.

No because it's a relatively new thing that's taking place. But I would guess at least into the hundreds of thousands of jobs when all is said and done.

What I did find is that there are over 14 thousand McDonald's restaurant in the US and over 5 thousand Wendy's. That means there are 20,000 restaurants that are going to turn automated. Even if automation got rid of only five employees per outlet, that's 100,000 jobs right there.

No because it's a relatively new thing that's taking place. But I would guess at least into the hundreds of thousands of jobs when all is said and done.

What I did find is that there are over 14 thousand McDonald's restaurant in the US and over 5 thousand Wendy's. That means there are 20,000 restaurants that are going to turn automated. Even if automation got rid of only five employees per outlet, that's 100,000 jobs right there.

So you are just guessing. I don't see it working.

Actually every industry- regardless of minimum wage- is trying to replace humans with machines.
At most- at the very most- increased minimum wage may have accelerated McDonald and Wendy's trend towards automation.

Automation will be happening with- or without minimum wage increases.

That may be true, but why kill jobs even faster?

Nobody will invest in automation unless the initial cost for those machines will produce lower overhead in the coming years.

You have to remember that when an employer gives an employee a dollar an hour increase in pay, the employer has associated costs with that raise. So it costs an employer more than $40.00 a week.

And I'm being very conservative with my guess. I don't know about you, but when I go to McDonald's, there are three to four girls behind the counter taking orders, and remember that those restaurants are not just open eight hours a day, so they have different shifts just like other businesses.

It appears Walmart employment continues to grow even with self checkout.

Link, dupe? Funny how Oz and NZ do fine with $19 and $15 min wages...

And I'm being very conservative with my guess. I don't know about you, but when I go to McDonald's, there are three to four girls behind the counter taking orders, and remember that those restaurants are not just open eight hours a day, so they have different shifts just like other businesses.

It is just guessing which has little value.

Look it up yourself "dupe" you're an idiot. Google is your friend.

At least for now, executives can't be replaced by machines. They are worth much more because there are less people able to do their jobs compared to somebody that sweeps the floor at one of their restaurants.

Can't back it up then.

Can't back it up then.

LOL, it's been all over the News for a week. The fact that some of you nitwits aren't paying attention is not my problem.

It is just guessing which has little value.

It has a lot of value. Why would franchise owners and the company itself spend hundreds of thousands of dollars if they were going to keep the same amount of employees anyway? Or are you saying it's not realistic that automation can reduce the jobs at a restaurant by five people. I think it will be many more than five, but that's just my guess.

Pennsylvania farmers say local Americans just don't want farm work

But some organizations, such as the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Immigration Studies, argue the problem is farmers’ unwillingness to pay sufficient wages and provide acceptable working conditions. If they offered those things, farmers would be able to find local workers to fill their labor needs, the center has argued.

But people such as O’Neill say that’s not true.

For example, he says fruit pickers in Adams County, who get paid according to how much they pick, commonly earn $14-$20 an hour. But it’s very hard work, he stresses, often done under uncomfortable conditions and on all days of the week. It also takes a lot of experience and skill to pick well enough to earn those wages.

He says farmers advertise for local workers, but attract few applications.

Americans, for the most part, are not interested in doing this type of work,” he says. “They prefer to make less money and work in a fast food restaurant or a supermarket where the conditions are more comfortable.”

Forum List

Back