How To End The Heroin Epidemic

It is sad people have to turn to drugs for happiness! Marijuana is detrimental to brain cells.

I love my wine, but I hear it's bad for brain cells too.
You're right. It is. But the brain consists of so many billions of cells and is constantly regenerating those which are lost that the loss from marijuana use of wine drinking is inconsequential.

Brain cell loss is just one more deceptive elements in NIDA's catalog of deceptive routines. Unfortunately its been working very well for them.

^^ dannyboys...when you get a minute, go visit the 1,000s of miles the Wall would cover and notice the terrain. Get a contractor to come out and quote you a price to build 10' of it as high and thick (and deep, Mexicans love to dig tunnels) it would have to be. Then multiply that figure by a mile. A mile is 5280 feet. So 1 mile would be 528 times more expensive than the price your contractor quoted you. Then multiply THAT figure by say 1,500. That's just the beginning. Then the manpower needed to patrol this vastly expensive wall, around the clock, forever, would likely quadruple that YUGE figure for just the cost. Then there's the constant maintenance of the wall; which from the damage the Mexicans would do to it on a daily basis, just for fun if not to breach it, would be that manpower figure again.

You cannot stop drug addicts. These people's fate is the predictable outcome!
Yes, but you could stop the flow of easy heroin into the country. An addict would be much better off smoking pot than not waking up at all for his 7 year old to find him dead in the morning after shooting up.
Sounds like a shovel-ready project if I've ever heard of one. And wow! That'll create a shitload of jobs. Jobs that will last.

To end the heroin epidemic we first have to understand the politics behind it. Before states began legalizing marijuana, Mexico and other Central American countries made a BUNDLE off of it. I've heard estimates that it was around 1/4 of Mexico's economy, running pot to the US across the border. Then when states started making it legal, quasi-legal, what have you, the market dropped out for poor Mexico. So, adept and agile as Mexicans are, their "government" (read: white-collar cartel) simply shifted to a more addictive drug, still black market, they could also grow easily: opium poppies. All through Central America I'd imagine. But Mexico supervises the border and nothing gets through unless the cartel...er.. I mean the Mexican government says so.

I'd bet you anything that if our boys behind the scenes cut a deal with the Mexicans, agreeing to return pot back to the controlled substance list nationwide, if the Mexicans agreed to clamp down on heroin "or else pot will be legal again in the US", the heroin would STOP crossing the border in a nanosecond.

Of course, now that the genie is out of the bottle and tons of Americans are hooked on heroin, their cartels may be comfortable with the new arrangement. Unless the US could figure out a way to cripple their poppy crops?

Dunno. It's bad though. Was inspired by this horrible story: 7 year old told her bus driver she can't wake her parents up

Discuss.

The way you end it is to decriminalize it. Turn it from a criminal problem to a health problem. I would even go so far as to let addicts register as such. They get a nice hotel room. They get fed. They get good quality drugs in a dose they can handle and they are sterilized, and lose the right to vote as they are applying to be wards of the Court. Then, if they decide they wish to clean up, we provide all the resources needed to realize that goal. That would be far cheaper than the bullshit we're doing now. The Mexican drug cartels would be out of business, and the level of violent crime in this country would plummet.

You fail to account for demographic differences from those European countries compared to ours. Just like their gun laws, it's irrelevant whether or not the government makes it illegal, white Europeans are able to control themselves if "bad things" like drugs or owning a gun is legal.

The same cannot be said for negroes and Latinos. Allowing them to have access to such things is disastrous.
The outstanding contradiction in what you've said is Portugal, which is a fundamentally Latino country with a substantial Negro population. Both the violent crime and drug problems have diminished since all drugs were decriminalized (virtually legalized) in that country.

Where availability of guns and drugs are is concerned, only the law-abiding are affected by prohibitions. Existing gun and drug prohibitions in the U.S. are about as rigid as they can be within the constraints of democracy, yet the Negroes and Latinos don't seem to have any problem obtaining either drugs or guns.

I just read an article the other day that was done by some big university. Heroin was the #1 most addictive drug, Opioids were up there, tobacco, alcohol, and barbiturates. Marijuana wasn't in the top 5.

Putting drug users and sellers in jail, especially with mandatory sentences doesn't work. It hurts the budget, not only because of prison operating costs, but because it then leaves children without parents and creates a never ending cycle. Is there an easy answer? Nope.
You're quite right in everything you've said.

Allow me to add that nicotine is more addictive than heroin. The main difference is the nicotine addiction takes longer to neurologically adhere but once it does it is far more difficult to withdraw from.

The average heroin junkie can fully withdraw ("kick") after six months of total abstinence -- and many do. But the nicotine addiction is extremely tenacious.

I smoked cigarettes for 35 years. In 1985 I was convinced to quit by a very effective public education program. In place of smoking cigarettes I started chewing Nicorette gum and sucking on Tootsie Roll lollipops.

The compulsive craving was almost unbearable for the first week and remained extremely tormenting for several months before it started to very slowly lessen. But I can say quite truthfully it was several years before the craving was totally under control. The most difficult times were right after meals, when drinking coffee, or when being near someone who smoked.

So I smoked my last cigarette in 1985 and I can say I'm a non-smoker. But every now and then that goddam craving pops up and I experience the distracting urge to light up a cigarette and draw in a lungful of smoke. It only lasts for a minute or two but it represents what an addiction is. More than thirty years have passed since I quit smoking and the compulsion still pops up now and then.

So don't think heroin is in any way a more dangerous drug than nicotine. Because infinitely more people die from or are made very sick from smoking cigarettes than from using heroin -- and that includes the most degenerate, nodding-out junkies.
That's because there are more cigarette smokers than heroin users.

I used to smoke and I was a very heavy smokers almost 3 packs a day. Six years ago I saw a coworker using an ecigarette. He let me try it and that was the very last day I had a cigarette. Never had another, never wanted another, never had a single craving and had no withdrawal. It has been about four years since I used any liquid with nicotine at all though I still vape. It's more like using chewing gum.

Now you might find this hilarious but cigarette smoke gives me a headache and makes my heart race to the point of getting dizzy.

Your unfortunate experience might be because of you are an easily addicted person, with pot and cigarettes. So that predilection made you suffer

You fail to account for demographic differences from those European countries compared to ours. Just like their gun laws, it's irrelevant whether or not the government makes it illegal, white Europeans are able to control themselves if "bad things" like drugs or owning a gun is legal.

The same cannot be said for negroes and Latinos. Allowing them to have access to such things is disastrous.
The outstanding contradiction in what you've said is Portugal, which is a fundamentally Latino country with a substantial Negro population. Both the violent crime and drug problems have diminished since all drugs were decriminalized (virtually legalized) in that country.

Where availability of guns and drugs are is concerned, only the law-abiding are affected by prohibitions. Existing gun and drug prohibitions in the U.S. are about as rigid as they can be within the constraints of democracy, yet the Negroes and Latinos don't seem to have any problem obtaining either drugs or guns.
Portugal is a failed state. No one would seriously want to model a nation after Portugal.

Portugal is a failed state. No one would seriously want to model a nation after Portugal.

Portugal is not a failed state when it comes to violent deaths, or drug addiction- both of which are lower in Portugal than the United States.

Why wouldn't you want the lower rate of violence and lower drug addiction rates of Portugal?

Adult use in Colorado has increased, and as pot becomes mainstream, use will eventually increase all around.
The number of people who can't work due to pot addiction (now called mental illness) has made the homeless situation outrageous.
Really- what is the number?
Do you think the last few years of pot legalization had an effect?

https://www.google.com/amp/denver.c...s-moving-out/amp/?client=ms-android-sprint-us

Squatters, public sex, threats; taxpayers flee Democrat-run Denver as homeless population explodes

Portugal is not a failed state when it comes to violent deaths, or drug addiction- both of which are lower in Portugal than the United States.

Why wouldn't you want the lower rate of violence and lower drug addiction rates of Portugal?
You would prefer an entire population that can't work, can't take care of themselves. They are too high and strung out to be violent or do anythimg else either.

You would prefer an entire population that can't work, can't take care of themselves. They are too high and strung out to be violent or do anythimg else either.

I would prefer country with a lower addiction rate, and lower drug use rate, and lower violent crime rate- like Portugal.

Why would you prefer a country with higher addiction rates, higher drug use rates, and higher violent crime rates?

Adult use in Colorado has increased, and as pot becomes mainstream, use will eventually increase all around.
The number of people who can't work due to pot addiction (now called mental illness) has made the homeless situation outrageous.
Do you think the last few years of pot legalization had an effect?s

Still looking for that number- what is the outragious number of people who can't work because of pot addiction?

Do you think the last few years of pot legalization had an effect?s

Still looking for that number- what is the outragious number of people who can't work because of pot addiction?
Denver is too afraid to compile the statistics. Legalization was supposed to increase employment. Instead there is record homelessness.

Their only hope is a freezing winter.

It is sad people have to turn to drugs for happiness! Marijuana is detrimental to brain cells.
Marijuana is detrimental to brain cells if you use too much of it. And if you drink too much water you can drown.

Don't be so easily influenced by anti-pot propaganda.

Marijuana is detrimental to brain cells if you use too much of it. And if you drink too much water you can drown.

Don't be so easily influenced by anti-pot propaganda.

The biggest problems with pot is it can negatively effect a person's serotonin levels, and over extended periods of time block the bodies production of it. That can cause weight gain, depression, sleep problems, low energy, low testosterone....

Denver is too afraid to compile the statistics. Legalization was supposed to increase employment. Instead there is record homelessness.

Their only hope is a freezing winter.
You say Denver is too afraid to compile the statistics. How do you know that? Are you an undercover insider working for some news agency? How do you know the homeless statistics in Colorado?

If it's true that Colorado is undergoing an increase in its homeless population rest assured its because the homeless from other states are flocking there because of the legal marijuana. If the rest of the Nation would go legal this imbalance would quickly subside.

The biggest problems with pot is it can negatively effect a person's serotonin levels, and over extended periods of time block the bodies production of it. That can cause weight gain, depression, sleep problems, low energy, low testosterone....
How do you know this?

Forum List

Back