How to replace Judial Review

You're a moron. Violating the Supremacy Clause is what makes a state law unconstitutional.

Ware v Hylton.

Oh and btw, that's 1796. Proving also that judicial review by the Supreme Court predated Marbury for all you muppets claiming otherwise.

Let me get this straight, a decision that held that a law made pursuant to a treaty ratified by Congress proved that state laws that violate the constitution are unconstitutional?
Gotta love that logic. Why don't you show me exactly where it says that in the opinion.

Ware v. Hylton - 3 U.S. 199 (1796) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

You obviously don't know what the point of the conversation was, because now you're talking in circles.

Let's start over:

Is the Supremacy Clause meant to be enforceable?

If your answer is 'no', then why not, and, why then is it there if it's not enforceable?

If your answer is 'yes', then what is supposed to be the mechanism for enforcement?

Tell you what, when you decide to stop arguing with someone else, and address the deficiencies in your education, get back to me. Alternatively, feel free to show me where I said what you think I said. That won't be possible, but looking for a non existent post might teach you not to argue with people who didn't say what you made up.

Clearly there’s no need to ‘replace’ judicial review; indeed, to do so would be disastrous.

The notion is either the product of ignorance or madness.

There is, however, a way to decrease the instances of judicial review, and that could be accomplished by lawmakers obeying the Constitution and its case law where they stop enacting measures they know full-well to be un-Constitutional.

In short: lawmakers need to stop playing politics with the Constitution and the courts.

There was no need to replace the entire insurance industry either, that didn't stop you from supporting it.

That said, I would much rather figure out how to prevent judges from playing politics than try to figure out how to get politicians to stop.

2/3 2/3 3/4

The left get 5/9, everyone else gets 2/3, 2/3 and 3/4. Got it.

One thing this thread has laid bare though is the pathetic liberal lie that you all believe the court is somehow conservative. Now that you have the 5/9 system of changing the Constitution, you are all fighting like the devil to keep it. You obviously know it's working completely in your favor.

Nope, you and QWB and the other reactionaries who try to rewrite history simply are exposed as not knowing the Constitution or the Founders, or the history of both, and the development of constitutional law since then.

You are what you are: wrong.

Excuse me?

Feel free to point out the specific post I made in this thread that you have a problem with. My guess is that you can't find one because nothing in this thread says a damned thing you don't agree with 100%. You, however, only react, so you toss out the same BS every time you post.

Tell you what, when you decide to stop arguing with someone else, and address the deficiencies in your education, get back to me. Alternatively, feel free to show me where I said what you think I said. That won't be possible, but looking for a non existent post might teach you not to argue with people who didn't say what you made up.

She's right that Ware v. Hylton was a case of Judicial Review before Marbury v. Madison.

To my op, it's still a red herring. It only goes to the side discussion of whether the Supreme Court ever did Judicial Review before Marbury v. Madison or not.

What it does not do is support in any way the court has Judicial Review based on anything except their own declaration that they do, it's still the court taking it upon itself to declare itself keeper and manipulator of the Constitution.

And that is a red herring in the end to the op as well since I'm proposing to codify that the States are the ones who should keep the Federal government in check and not the Courts.

The courts are the judiciary, they are to "interpret" the laws passed by the legislature in the cases brought by the executive branch who "enforce" the laws. That somehow inherent in that is that the judiciary then get to judge the laws is preposterous. And in the end, the liberals don't even believe that or care. They just care that it's working for them.

She's right that Ware v. Hylton was a case of Judicial Review before Marbury v. Madison.

To my op, it's still a red herring. It only goes to the side discussion of whether the Supreme Court ever did Judicial Review before Marbury v. Madison or not.

What it does not do is support in any way the court has Judicial Review based on anything except their own declaration that they do, it's still the court taking it upon itself to declare itself keeper and manipulator of the Constitution.

And that is a red herring in the end to the op as well since I'm proposing to codify that the States are the ones who should keep the Federal government in check and not the Courts.

The courts are the judiciary, they are to "interpret" the laws passed by the legislature in the cases brought by the executive branch who "enforce" the laws. That somehow inherent in that is that the judiciary then get to judge the laws is preposterous. And in the end, the liberals don't even believe that or care. They just care that it's working for them.
Read up, honeybuns.

http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2040&context=facpub

You still have the same problem that your OP did, you aren't even wrong.

How, exactly, would you deal with a facially unconstitutional law if the courts did not have the power of judicial review? If you take that power away from the courts, how would you deal with a law that made it legal for police to kill people who forget to use their turn signals? If you want an example of what happens when courts cannot review laws, and can only do what the government says, take any tyranny from history and examine how the courts work.

While you are 100% correct that the power is not spelled out in the Constitution, you aren't even wrong when you argue against it. You would have to work really hard to be wrong.

Last edited:

Read up, honeybuns.

http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2040&context=facpub

Marbury is classically thought of as having established judicial review… It is not novel to counter this point of view by observing that, before Marbury, judicial review had gained wide support.526 This Article, however, moves the debate about Marbury's significance forward by showing how relatively common the exercise of judicial review was before Marbury. The fact that judicial review was exercised much more frequently than previously recognized in the years before Marbury helps explain why Marshall's assertion of the power to exercise judicial review in the case elicited so little comment and also highlights the consistency between Marbury and the prior body of case law.

Given the evidence above and provided elsewhere in this thread, it’s clear that the ‘classical’ perception of Marbury is at least inaccurate, where the appropriate understanding of the case was to reaffirm the long-standing practice of judicial review. Chief Justice Marshall neither ‘invented’ judicial review nor did the Court “[give] itself the power to decide what the Constitution means,” as it already possessed that power, a power it inherited as the progeny of centuries of other English and Colonial courts.

Read up, honeybuns.

Marbury is classically thought of as having established judicial review… It is not novel to counter this point of view by observing that, before Marbury, judicial review had gained wide support.526 This Article, however, moves the debate about Marbury's significance forward by showing how relatively common the exercise of judicial review was before Marbury. The fact that judicial review was exercised much more frequently than previously recognized in the years before Marbury helps explain why Marshall's assertion of the power to exercise judicial review in the case elicited so little comment and also highlights the consistency between Marbury and the prior body of case law.

Given the evidence above and provided elsewhere in this thread, it’s clear that the ‘classical’ perception of Marbury is at least inaccurate, where the appropriate understanding of the case was to reaffirm the long-standing practice of judicial review. Chief Justice Marshall neither ‘invented’ judicial review nor did the Court “[give] itself the power to decide what the Constitution means,” as it already possessed that power, a power it inherited as the progeny of centuries of other English and Colonial courts.

Still not in the Constitution. If not in the Constitution, the power does not exist.

No, you are not dangerous, Kaz, or hiding under our beds.

At best, you are a distant rutslte, at worst, a minor irritant.

Still not in the Constitution. If not in the Constitution, the power does not exist.
^ Stupid post is stupid.

Then, AGAIN, how did the Supreme Court strike down the Chicago gun ban if they don't have the power to do it,

and,

how would gun rights be protected from unconstitutional bans if there was no power of judicial review in the Supreme Court,

which is apparently what you want?

It's not a red herring to the people in this thread and elsewhere who insisted on ignorantly going on and on about how there was no judicial review before Marbury.

That would include you.

[To my op, it's still a red herring. It only goes to the side discussion of whether the Supreme Court ever did Judicial Review before Marbury v. Madison or not.

So now it's side issue that you don't know what you're talking about?

Funny, it wasn't a side issue in the first sentence of your first post:

"The Supreme Court gave itself the power to decide what the Constitution means in Marbury v. Madison."

Last edited:
Let me get this straight, a decision that held that a law made pursuant to a treaty ratified by Congress proved that state laws that violate the constitution are unconstitutional?
Gotta love that logic. Why don't you show me exactly where it says that in the opinion.

Ware v. Hylton - 3 U.S. 199 (1796) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

You obviously don't know what the point of the conversation was, because now you're talking in circles.

Let's start over:

Is the Supremacy Clause meant to be enforceable?

If your answer is 'no', then why not, and, why then is it there if it's not enforceable?

If your answer is 'yes', then what is supposed to be the mechanism for enforcement?

Second time she's been told that in this conversation, it's why I stopped addressing her posts.

Kaz, your opinion does not count.

SCOTUS's opinion, however, does.

Actually my opinion is the only one that counts since that is what I'm posting on a message board. I consider other's opinions and often change my views based on that, but my opinion is still up to me.

What made you think that I was posting SCOTUS's opinion? That's just tripping.

Read up, honeybuns.

Here's a thousand page document, kaz. Read the document, then figure out what my point was and address that.

I'm going to pass on going down that rat hole...

You still have the same problem that your OP did, you aren't even wrong.

It's sad when someone I know to not be a liberal doesn't recognize the implication of the 17th amendment. The 17th amendment was worse than authorizing the income tax because it removed any State limit over Federal power. Since you trust liberal dictatory judges and call even trying to put a balance with State governments insane, your credibility on this is shot and it's hard to take your points seriously.

How, exactly, would you deal with a facially unconstitutional law if the courts did not have the power of judicial review? If you take that power away from the courts, how would you deal with a law that made it legal for police to kill people who forget to use their turn signals? If you want an example of what happens when courts cannot review laws, and can only do what the government says, take any tyranny from history and examine how the courts work.
I answered this question in the op.

The point of the op is that checks and balances within the Federal government don't work. The Supreme Court and the legislature both want to grow Federal power. They have the same incentive, that's why it doesn't work. State governments don't have the same incentive, the more the Federal government takes from them the less they have. So I am proposing a check where the States have the check and balance with the Feds to protect the people. Power divided is power checked.

Your endless references to State rights being inane is what's inane.

Repealing the 17A is a good idea but it will not stop judicial tyranny. The way to stop that is for the states to point out that the constitution says "all legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a congress of the united states? Since repealing and writing laws are legislative functions, the courts have no authority to do either.

Forum List

Back