How to stop the police from breaking the law, Arizona style.

This Arizona law isn't about crowds all around yelling and shouting. That would be distracting and, therefore, interfering. This law is about a person, presumably peacefully and quietly because the law applies to peacefully and quietly, recording a public servant doing the public's business in public. It doesn't forbid yelling and shouting; it only forbids recording.

The effect of this law, whether intended or not (I suspect it is) is to prevent any driver from recording the interaction with the police. The driver is always within 8 feet when the cop is at the door of the car.

How many times has it been said here, if you have nothing to hide then why do you care if someone does a background check or if you have nothing to hide then why do you care if the cops stop and frisk, or if you have nothing to hide, why do you care if the dogs sniff your car?

If the cops have nothing to hide, why do they care if they're recorded?
th law excludes the person being stopped, so it doesnt effect the driver if hes videoing,,

This Arizona law isn't about crowds all around yelling and shouting. That would be distracting and, therefore, interfering. This law is about a person, presumably peacefully and quietly because the law applies to peacefully and quietly, recording a public servant doing the public's business in public. It doesn't forbid yelling and shouting; it only forbids recording.

The effect of this law, whether intended or not (I suspect it is) is to prevent any driver from recording the interaction with the police. The driver is always within 8 feet when the cop is at the door of the car.

From the main story.

The law, however, makes exceptions for people interacting with police, or in enclosed area on private property.

The effect of this law, whether intended or not (I suspect it is) is to prevent any driver from recording the interaction with the police.

It isn't ... the article (a British publication by the way) specifically states the proposed law exempts people involved with the police interaction. That means the driver and passengers in a traffic stop.

Do it from more than 8 feet away. The police don't know what you are doing or INTEND to do, they are busy maybe on the ground with a dangerous, violent person trying to put them in hand cuffs or is maybe bleeding from a bullet wound and don't have time to be worrying about what you might be doing just an arm's reach away from them.

Just how many videos do you have to be shown of the police interfering with lawful recording from very safe distances, well over 10 to 20, as far as 75 and even 200 feet away, before you get that the police already violate the law and the Constitution on recordings and that this law will also get abused, that they'll claim you're 6 feet when you're 10 or even 20?

You tell us how many videos of cops violating the law and the Constitution and the rights of people safely and peacefully recording to convince you and I'll try to show you that many videos.

I totally agree that some of those recording are just out looking for a chance to get a cop in trouble - but the solution for the cops is don't violate the law and the Constitution; don't be abusive.

Some of those doing the recordings remind me of people open carrying an AR-15 in public. It may be legal, and it may be constitutionally protected, but it makes them an asshole. But I will always defend their right to do it.

I will always defend the right of those legally and constitutionally recording the police. I will always defend the right of left-wing peaceful protesters and of right-wing or conservative protesters.

I don't bend one iota on my defense of the Constitution and the constitutional rights of anyone, whether or not I agree with what they're doing.

If the officer moved toward the filmer, that would be shown on the video, so not too likely that cops would be doing that.

Sometimes the scene of a police interaction is fluid. Suspects move around, other suspects join in, more police arrive, ambulance and firefighters arrive and leave, etc.

Any law would be from the point of current police interactions, not the point of origin.

Sometimes the scene of a police interaction is fluid. Suspects move around, other suspects join in, more police arrive, ambulance and firefighters arrive and leave, etc.

Any law would be from the point of current police interactions, not the point of origin.
thats when police tape is used,,,

Good then, get yourself arrested or shot. The police right or wrong have the final word in the street, they are the constable on patrol. If they fuck up, your recourse is to take the matter to court to resolve, not get in a cop's face and give him a hard time and hope he doesn't bust your head open for making his very bad day even harder.

Wow. You support a total police state? When the police are wrong, though? Submit? Comply?

Is there no level of tyranny that would have convinced you to join the patriots in 1776? The King was the law and the soldiers were his police of the day. When they said turn in the guns, you would have complied? If the police tell you next year or in 20 years, turn in your guns, you will comply? Well, of course you will.

but the solution for the cops is don't violate the law and the Constitution; don't be abusive.

No, in fact, most cops don't mind abusive ... it's an everyday part of the job and it's actually quite amusing at times. People who abuse cops are rarely original thinkers and their abuse tends to be pretty basic and unoriginal.

141229-taylor-yelling-cops-tease_xgbc71.jpg

It's about distance.

In many cases, the person being interacted (this includes mental health patients, drug or alcohol affected, people threatening self-harm or suicide, and well as suspects of offenses) will become more aggressive when a bystander interferes.

This not only puts the safety of police at risk, but also that of the do-gooding bystanders.

Film ALL you want. Abuse all you want (but, I implore you to be creative). But keep your distance, for my safety, as well as yours.

thats when police tape is used,,,

Not at all ... police tape is meant to control a cordon for the purposes of preserving evidence.

A spontaneous police interaction rarely gets tape because A) there isn't time and B) as the situation changes, the tape would need to be moved.

I would begrudgingly comply under duress. I'm not going to argue too much with a guy standing there in body armor armed with a gun and other weapons and practically a license to kill just to shoot some video of an arrest being made. If that video mattered to me that much, I'd rather keep my attention on keeping shooting the video uninterrupted.

Success in life comes in part by knowing how and when to pick your battles.

That's a different stance from they can bust your head in if you piss them off. Backing off and not ending up in handcuffs is generally a good idea. Lots of bad things happen to people in handcuffs. Lots of people get hurt during transport when the cops forget to strap them in the back of the van and then squirrels run out in front of them multiple times on the way to the station and they have to keep hitting the brakes.

It's one thing to not get into a losing battle - but that's a personal choice. The person recording is always in the right and it's his right, not yours, to pick his battles.

But I posted a video today of a guy 200 feet away and the cops came after him.

Not at all ... police tape is meant to control a cordon for the purposes of preserving evidence.

A spontaneous police interaction rarely gets tape because A) there isn't time and B) as the situation changes, the tape would need to be moved.
actually its for both,,, if the suspect is still at large or confined to an area they will put up tape to control a specific area

Wow. You support a total police state? When the police are wrong, though? Submit? Comply?

Is there no level of tyranny that would have convinced you to join the patriots in 1776? The King was the law and the soldiers were his police of the day. When they said turn in the guns, you would have complied? If the police tell you next year or in 20 years, turn in your guns, you will comply? Well, of course you will.

actually its for both,,, if the suspect is still at large or confined to an area they will put up tape to control a specific area
Hahaha….you whacks are hilarious….NOBODY legitimate has EVER felt compelled to film cops while they’re performing their public service…NOBODY!
What does that tell you?

Right. They have 20 idiots all around them who hate them yelling and shouting who all want to defund them, any of which might pull a knife or gun at any moment while trying to arrest a felon on the ground who just tried to kill them or run them over, and you think they shouldn't be wary of you? :eusa_whistle:

Once again, this law doesn't do a thing about people all around yelling and shouting and threatening to defund them. This is about peacefully and quietly recording. Or perhaps even yelling and shouting while recording. But it's only the recording part they're making illegal and the law most certainly is also directed at those peacefully and quietly recording. Or those sitting quietly in their car, strapped in with the seatbelt, and the door closed.

If the cops have nothing to hide, why are they against drivers recording the interaction when pulled over?

I dunno Bob, I don't see how keeping people just 8 feet back from an arrest is unreasonable or illegal. If I was a cop, I might prefer more like 20 feet. How is taking video from 8 feet away instead of 4 feet a violation of my right to free speech?

Drivers, sitting in their car, door closed, in their seat belt, are within 8 feet and cannot record the police interaction when pulled over.

If there is a large enough action, and there are enough police on hand that someone has time to do it, it can be.

But, it doesn't happen if the situation is still in flux. Cones and folding signs are better because they can be redeployed faster if needed.

If there is a large enough action, and there are enough police on hand that someone has time to do it, it can be.

But, it doesn't happen if the situation is still in flux. Cones and folding signs are better because they can be redeployed faster if needed.
then the distance is 8 ft,,,

What is the point of arresting innocents? Just a lot of paperwork for no purpose.

No cop is interested in more paperwork.
The point? Throwing their weight around. Hurting people. Groping an attractive woman.

I never said it wasn't OK to film cops. If you read my post a little closer, cops don't care if they are filmed. Most cops today wear body-worn cameras (BWC) and film their own selves.

It only becomes a problem when people filming interfere with what cops or other emergency workers are doing.

Once again, I and others have posted many videos here of cops harassing legal, safe, quiet, video recording of the police at distances much farther than 8 feet. If they will abuse the law and the Courts at 200 feet, they will certainly abuse it at 8 feet and lie to back it up.

The common thing you hear cops lying on the scene is "Stop resisting!" as they beat a subdued victim. Or "Stop trying to go for my gun" often precedes shooting a person who was not trying to go for the gun. Here's just such a story but, luckily, in this case the victim didn't get shot and narrowly escaped 5 years in the penitentiary for the lies of the cops.

The next such lie in Arizona will be, even when the person recording is beyond 8 feet, "Move at least 8 feet away!" Sometimes, it will be someone within 8 feet just as, sometimes, it is a bad guy actually going for the cop's gun. But sometimes, as we are all very aware, the cops lie.

Forum List

Back