How would any of us deal with a call to a recently made Gold Star family member?

1st and foremost, I would keep it private. There is no way in hell I would use a dead US soldier or his family to launch a political attack.

TRUMP started the whole thing ! He was the one talking crap about what obama did or didn't do .

He launched the political attack .

Trump was merely making it clear a new policy of respect for the military now rules in Washington. There is a new Sheriff in town...and he will go the extra mile to honor our nation's heroes. I as most Americans appluad him...to hell with all those who want to play politics over the bodies of our dead heroes...be they the widows or whoever. I can understand the sorrow and even bitterness of family when their, son, father or husband falls on the battlefield....but they should do nothing or say anything that would demonstrate a lack of respect for the Commander-In-Chief or a lack of respect for America for whom their loved one died fighting for. Just common decency. Now we see the liberal media playing along with this outrageous behavior....beyond the pale.

Kelly Delivers Fervent Defense of Trump Call to Soldier’s Widow

He was too busy playing golf to attend a soldier's funeral. he lies about what he said to a widow. If that is what you call respect, I hate to see what you would call disrespect. A Commander-in-Chief does not deserve respect. He earns it and Trump has done nothing to earn any respect.

Trump and other past Presidents do not attend funerals. Why must you constantly lie?

I suppose I can't understand how or why someone would politicise such a phone call. Even for a politician, this is low. You can throw some gut shots to your opponent, but to listen in on a call and go to the media criticising? Just blows me away.

Watching the show 48 Hours from time to time, there is one moment the detectives hate the most...having to contact the next of kin and tell them their loved one has been murdered. As I watch the show I always can tell when this subject is going to be raised, I watch their expressions intensively, you sense in their voices, just how much the officers dread having to break the news that someones child, husband/wife is gone. Sure they do it often and get into some sense of familiarity with it, but a statement often repeated on this show by various detectives "you don't ever get used to doing this part of the job".

So now, how would any of us feel contacting a wife who just lost their son or daughter in combat? Worse, we have to do so as president knowing they might directly blame a certain policy, or maybe they voted for the other person, or maybe they are looking to politicise as some lowlifes might. It's a no win situation, but you try and do the best you can and show some moral support.

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong way to do these things, especially for a businessman who turned politician. His contribution is to bring back jobs, help the economy and America avoid the global disasters befallen so many nations, this job of calling a new widow is the absolute WORST part of his job He can't get to everyone of course, when he does, he can't be perfect in his delivery, every time, or even most of the time. So how and why is everyone so critical? Can anyone of us know for sure how we will act in the moment of such a call? I can't.
The President doesn't have to make these kind of calls. The military has people that do this. If he does however, make the call, he should make sure to get the name right, offer the nations condolences and gratitude for the decedent's service. Then he should butt out. He shouldn't tweet about it or the family or call the widow a liar. That's bad form.

Any widow whose husband died fighting For America should not dare criticize the commander -in-chief of her husband....that is the real tragedy here...that the widow has no respect for the Commander-in-Chief nor for the country her husband died fighting for. Also it is more than obvious that she misunderstood the remarks of the President....and with the urging of her pal the idiot negroid ghetto congresswoman is trying to score some political points...everyone knows how the negroes have been trained like monkeys to hate The President.

Then he should have apologized to her and said he was sorry that she misunderstood what he said. Instead he insists he did nothing wrong.

I suppose I can't understand how or why someone would politicise such a phone call. Even for a politician, this is low. You can throw some gut shots to your opponent, but to listen in on a call and go to the media criticising? Just blows me away.

Watching the show 48 Hours from time to time, there is one moment the detectives hate the most...having to contact the next of kin and tell them their loved one has been murdered. As I watch the show I always can tell when this subject is going to be raised, I watch their expressions intensively, you sense in their voices, just how much the officers dread having to break the news that someones child, husband/wife is gone. Sure they do it often and get into some sense of familiarity with it, but a statement often repeated on this show by various detectives "you don't ever get used to doing this part of the job".

So now, how would any of us feel contacting a wife who just lost their son or daughter in combat? Worse, we have to do so as president knowing they might directly blame a certain policy, or maybe they voted for the other person, or maybe they are looking to politicise as some lowlifes might. It's a no win situation, but you try and do the best you can and show some moral support.

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong way to do these things, especially for a businessman who turned politician. His contribution is to bring back jobs, help the economy and America avoid the global disasters befallen so many nations, this job of calling a new widow is the absolute WORST part of his job He can't get to everyone of course, when he does, he can't be perfect in his delivery, every time, or even most of the time. So how and why is everyone so critical? Can anyone of us know for sure how we will act in the moment of such a call? I can't.
The President doesn't have to make these kind of calls. The military has people that do this. If he does however, make the call, he should make sure to get the name right, offer the nations condolences and gratitude for the decedent's service. Then he should butt out. He shouldn't tweet about it or the family or call the widow a liar. That's bad form.

Any widow whose husband died fighting For America should not dare criticize the commander -in-chief of her husband....that is the real tragedy here...that the widow has no respect for the Commander-in-Chief nor for the country her husband died fighting for. Also it is more than obvious that she misunderstood the remarks of the President....and with the urging of her pal the idiot negroid ghetto congresswoman is trying to score some political points...everyone knows how the negroes have been trained like monkeys to hate The President.

Then he should have apologized to her and said he was sorry that she misunderstood what he said. Instead he insists he did nothing wrong.

She did not address Trump. The Congresscritter was the one raising the stink! He did not nothing wrong.

1st and foremost, I would keep it private. There is no way in hell I would use a dead US soldier or his family to launch a political attack.

TRUMP started the whole thing ! He was the one talking crap about what obama did or didn't do .

Trump was merely making it clear a new policy of respect for the military now rules in Washington. There is a new Sheriff in town...and he will go the extra mile to honor our nation's heroes. I as most Americans appluad him...to hell with all those who want to play politics over the bodies of our dead heroes...be they the widows or whoever. I can understand the sorrow and even bitterness of family when their, son, father or husband falls on the battlefield....but they should do nothing or say anything that would demonstrate a lack of respect for the Commander-In-Chief or a lack of respect for America for whom their loved one died fighting for. Just common decency. Now we see the liberal media playing along with this outrageous behavior....beyond the pale.

He was too busy playing golf to attend a soldier's funeral. he lies about what he said to a widow. If that is what you call respect, I hate to see what you would call disrespect. A Commander-in-Chief does not deserve respect. He earns it and Trump has done nothing to earn any respect.

Trump and other past Presidents do not attend funerals. Why must you constantly lie?

You are the one that is lying. You use the avatar of a military officer to spout your lies. You really are low. The fact is that Obama, George W, Clinton and George HW were able to offer some comfort to the family Trump instead upset a widow.

First of all, it is Trump who has made this a political issue by lying about it and having one of his administration go to a press briefing and talk about it; the congresswoman simply reported the facts.

Second, the issue is not how you or I or anyone would deal with such a call, it is about how the president deals with such a call. It's his job. He holds the highest, most important, most sensitive job in the nation. It's his job, not yours, not mine, not anyone elses, to deal with these calls. The fact that he fails at it is a sign of his fetid character.

Last edited:

She did not address Trump. The Congresscritter was the one raising the stink! He did not nothing wrong.

The fact is that Trump lied. He also upset the widow. Trump should not have said what he said. He could have apologized for any misunderstanding but he continued to lie. He did a hell of a lot wrong. You are one of those people Trump talked about when he said he could shoot someone in broad daylight and his supporters would defend him. You are example 1-A.

The military does this at the initial notification.

By the way, were did you libs have your meeting and come up with Trump not knowing the soldier's name? I know the wife claimed that, but I find that hard to believe. I think she probably doesn't even remember the conversation.
You wouldn't remember a phone call from the President?

I doubt she remembers what was said.

Protect Trump at all costs. She certainly would have remembered what was said that upset her.

I am sorry, but I think the Congresscritter had an agenda, and fed her the line after the conversation with Trump was already over so that she could justify the Congresscritter making a stink over the call.

Typical Trump supporter. We are now on conspiracy theories. Trump never does anything wrong, everyone is conspiring against him. Why don't you see a good doctor.

The fact is that Trump lied. He also upset the widow. Trump should not have said what he said. He could have apologized for any misunderstanding but he continued to lie. He did a hell of a lot wrong. You are one of those people Trump talked about when he said he could shoot someone in broad daylight and his supporters would defend him. You are example 1-A.
Trump didn't lie. The negress did, all for political purposes.

You are the one that is lying. You use the avatar of a military officer to spout your lies. You really are low. The fact is that Obama, George W, Clinton and George HW were able to offer some comfort to the family Trump instead upset a widow.

Why didn't the other widows or family members get upset? I doubt Trump changed horses in midstream while making the calls. Don't you think the presence of a race-baiting Congresscritter had anything to do with it, considering he was the only one of the four soldiers who was black?

The military does this at the initial notification.

By the way, were did you libs have your meeting and come up with Trump not knowing the soldier's name? I know the wife claimed that, but I find that hard to believe. I think she probably doesn't even remember the conversation.
You wouldn't remember a phone call from the President?

I doubt she remembers what was said.

Protect Trump at all costs. She certainly would have remembered what was said that upset her.

I am sorry, but I think the Congresscritter had an agenda, and fed her the line after the conversation with Trump was already over so that she could justify the Congresscritter making a stink over the call.

Typical Trump supporter. We are now on conspiracy theories. Trump never does anything wrong, everyone is conspiring against him. Why don't you see a good doctor.

No conspiracy theory at all. Conspiracy fact is a lot closer to the truth.

I already did see a doctor. No worries! You on the other had show definite signs of liberalism topped off with a heavy dose of racism. You might get checked out!

First of all, it is Trump who has made this a political issue by lying about it and having one of his administration go to a press briefing and talk about it; the congresswoman simply reported the facts.

Second, the issue is not how you or I or anyone would deal with such a call, it is about how the president deals with such a call. It's his job. He holds the highest, most important, sensitive job in the nation. It's his job, not yours, not mine, not anyone elses, to deal with these calls. The fact that he fails at it is a sign of his fetid character.

Actually, it is not his job, but he did it anyway.

Second, the issue is not how you or I or anyone would deal with such a call, it is about how the president deals with such a call. It's his job. He holds the highest, most important, sensitive job in the nation. It's his job, not yours, not mine, not anyone elses, to deal with these calls. The fact that he fails at it is a sign of his fetid character.

Actually, it is not his job, but he did it anyway.
Yes it is his job.

The call should be made by someone in their immediate Chain of Command. My youngest daughter is serving now and if the unthinkable happened I damn sure wouldn't want to hear a politician's bullshit.

The call should be made by someone in their immediate Chain of Command. My youngest daughter is serving now and if the unthinkable happened I damn sure wouldn't want to hear a politician's bullshit.

That's not really how it works, some who is stationed locally is tasked to make an in person notification, it may be a recruiter or an active duty reservist. Unfortunately there's no training on how to go about it. They provide a brief summary of the circumstances and then it's on the person tasked to do the rest. Then a causality assistance officer is assigned to help the family with the paperwork and other details. Local commanders usually write letters.

There is no excuse for his apparent lack of empathy in that call. You would have been able to show sympathy I guarantee it. .Other president have been businessmen. We need to stop excusing this poor behavior. I know what I would have done. It's not that hard to remember how you felt when a loved one died when yo communicate your sympathy to someone else whose loved one has died. He's the president, he knew what he signed up for.

The only one politicizing this is Trump.

There is no excuse for his apparent lack of empathy in that call. You would have been able to show sympathy I guarantee it. .Other president have been businessmen. We need to stop excusing this poor behavior. I know what I would have done. It's not that hard to remember how you felt when a loved one died when yo communicate your sympathy to someone else whose loved one has died. He's the president, he knew what he signed up for.

The only one politicizing this is Trump.
What other presidents have been businessmen? Never elected to anything?

I think the mistake here was that he listen to Kelly... Trump is not a general and he said some things that only a general or a buddy in the Army should say. Should ask Obama or Clinton or W or HW or Carter what to say... He doesn't know LOL

Maybe she is a liar
And that's the very real elephant in the room that no one wants to address. That the widow may have already hated Trump prior to her husbands death; and now after her husbands death hates him even more.

Maybe she is a liar
And that's the very real elephant in the room that no one wants to address. That the widow may have already hated Trump prior to her husbands death; and now after her husbands death hates him even more.

Except the only way that is true is if all 3 of them made up what Trump said and they convinced Kelly to go out there and not deny he said it. Now I know you believe that blacks are magical but lets be serious.

Which is more possible? Trump lied or EVERYONE ELSE lied including Kelly

How would any of us deal with a call to a recently made Gold Star family member?

I would have dealt with it much better than our President did
Trump is still calling a Gold Star widow a liar

Forum List

Back