Humans soon to pollute space.

Commercial Space Travel Will Soon Become A Reality

Wasn't earth enough for humans to destroy?

Wait?! Earth was destroyed? I left all my stuff there!

arthur.jpg

my kid did a research paper on 'space junk'. amazing what is floating around up there. i'm sure there's even more since this article is 5 yrs old...

4-8-nrc-evaluates-nasas-orbital-debris-programs.jpg

Sept. 26, 2013

Space Debris and Human Spacecraft
More than 500,000 pieces of debris, or “space junk,” are tracked as they orbit the Earth. They all travel at speeds up to 17,500 mph, fast enough for a relatively small piece of orbital debris to damage a satellite or a spacecraft.

The rising population of space debris increases the potential danger to all space vehicles, but especially to the International Space Station, space shuttles and other spacecraft with humans aboard.

NASA takes the threat of collisions with space debris seriously and has a long-standing set of guidelines on how to deal with each potential collision threat. These guidelines, part of a larger body of decision-making aids known as flight rules, specify when the expected proximity of a piece of debris increases the probability of a collision enough that evasive action or other precautions to ensure the safety of the crew are needed...'

You know, considering that there are approx. 500,000 pieces of space junk up there, traveling at around 17,500 mph, I wonder how the commercial companies propose to avoid killing everyone when a piece of debris blows a hole in the cabin? You thought explosive decompression was a bitch at 35,000 feet, imagine how much worse it would be in space.

For those that want to see how much crap is up there, here is a link to NASA.

my kid did a research paper on 'space junk'. amazing what is floating around up there. i'm sure there's even more since this article is 5 yrs old...

Sept. 26, 2013

More than 500,000 pieces of debris, or “space junk,” are tracked as they orbit the Earth. They all travel at speeds up to 17,500 mph, fast enough for a relatively small piece of orbital debris to damage a satellite or a spacecraft.

The rising population of space debris increases the potential danger to all space vehicles, but especially to the International Space Station, space shuttles and other spacecraft with humans aboard.

NASA takes the threat of collisions with space debris seriously and has a long-standing set of guidelines on how to deal with each potential collision threat. These guidelines, part of a larger body of decision-making aids known as flight rules, specify when the expected proximity of a piece of debris increases the probability of a collision enough that evasive action or other precautions to ensure the safety of the crew are needed...'

To be fair ... that's the price of letting Sandra Bullock go into space.

Sept. 26, 2013

You linked to the same site that I just looked at. Yours was posted just as I was getting ready to post mine.

Great minds think alike apparently...................

There's a lot of space in space, I think there is room. :p

You're right, there IS a lot of room in space.

However....................there is a lot less room at orbit, because we've already got half a million pieces of crap already in orbit. And, how many people are going to want to go to space if they hear of an orbital flight that got taken out by something that hit them at 17,500 mph?

Astronauts have already had to work with that problem. Granted, maybe NASA could help out the commercial ventures, but I wonder how effective they really could be?

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-ISS-avoid-hitting-space-debris

orbital flight that got taken out by something that hit them at 17,500 mph?

So, they travel at 17,500 mph (28,165 Km/h -- we used kilometers in space). EVERYTHING in orbit travels at 17,500 so, depending on your direction of travel, the relative speed will be zero.

It's safe to drive down the freeway at 75 mph ... unless you're traveling in the wrong direction.

Wrong-way-driver.jpg

orbital flight that got taken out by something that hit them at 17,500 mph?

So, they travel at 17,500 mph (28,165 Km/h -- we used kilometers in space). EVERYTHING in orbit travels at 17,500 so, depending on your direction of travel, the relative speed will be zero.

It's safe to drive down the freeway at 75 mph ... unless you're traveling in the wrong direction.

Wrong-way-driver.jpg

You would have a good point if all the orbits were in the same direction, but they aren't. They are going all over the place up there. Was watching a documentary on the ISS, and an astronaut said he'd seen a piece of space junk put a hole in a solar panel. He was looking at it, and all of a sudden, a hole appeared.

You have to wonder if some time in the future there will be a floating garbage heap the size of Texas up there like we see in the Pacific.

Not happenin. 2 legged assholes have NEVER exited this shithole. Its scientifically impossible with the materials we have today. It's all BS. No moon landing and the space station is no higher than a cumulus cloud.Space junk is a serious reality. Failed attempts like the failed war(s) on_____ insert bullshit to the left. Are you sure your tax forms were correct ???

Forum List

Back