Husbands Who Do More Traditionally Female Housework Have Less Sex

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Darlin'!...Make me a sammich, then gimmie some of that good lovin' that you're good for!

It's science!!

The new study, published in the February issue of the journal American Sociological Review, shows that sex isn't a bargaining chip. Instead, sex is linked to what types of chores each spouse completes.

Couples who follow traditional gender roles around the house -- wives doing the cooking, cleaning and shopping; men doing yard work, paying bills and auto maintenance -- reported greater sexual frequency.

"The results show that gender still organizes quite a bit of everyday life in marriage," said co-author Julie Brines, a UW associate professor of sociology. "In particular, it seems that the gender identities husbands and wives express through the chores they do also help structure sexual behavior."

<snip>

Couples in which men participate more in housework typically done by women report having sex less frequently.

Similarly, couples in which men participate more in traditionally masculine tasks -- such as yard work, paying bills, and auto maintenance -- report higher sexual frequency.

Husbands who do more traditionally female housework have less sex

Last edited:
Darlin'!...Make me a sammich, then gimmie some of that good lovin' that you're good for!

It's science!!

The new study, published in the February issue of the journal American Sociological Review, shows that sex isn't a bargaining chip. Instead, sex is linked to what types of chores each spouse completes.

Couples who follow traditional gender roles around the house -- wives doing the cooking, cleaning and shopping; men doing yard work, paying bills and auto maintenance -- reported greater sexual frequency.

"The results show that gender still organizes quite a bit of everyday life in marriage," said co-author Julie Brines, a UW associate professor of sociology. "In particular, it seems that the gender identities husbands and wives express through the chores they do also help structure sexual behavior."

<snip>

Couples in which men participate more in housework typically done by women report having sex less frequently.

Similarly, couples in which men participate more in traditionally masculine tasks -- such as yard work, paying bills, and auto maintenance -- report higher sexual frequency.

Husbands who do more traditionally female housework have less sex

I don't know about that. A warm wet dish rag, some dishwashing liquid, I'm a satified husband. Some of those dish soaps are quite good for you. My pubic hair is shinier and fuller than ever.

polls_00119_Housework_is_a_Snap_Posters_4457_367228_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Lol! That's seems like a nice excuse men use to not do housework. o_O

Maybe correlation does not equal causation in this case.

I am sceptical about this study. One of the things that comes to mind is the type of man who resists doing housework and who focuses on his traditional role as the 'man of the house.' These guys are usually more macho and more likely to exaggerate when it comes to sex. A loving, helpful man who is my equal partner is far more sexy than a man who expects me to do all the cleaning and cooking. In fact, a man who expects me to be the charwoman and cook in the house is a huge, huge turn off.

I have the distinct impression that many of you folks here aren't married.

I also have the distinct impression that many of you aren't likely to ever get married, either.

I also have the distinct impression that many of you aren't likely to ever get married, either.

Apparently not all marriages are like yours.

Oh, given that every marriage involves different people, I think that's a very safe bet, Esmeralda.

Last edited:

Apparently not all marriages are like yours.

Oh, given that every marriage involves different people, I think that's a very safe bet, Esmeralda.

Then why make the assumption that people whose marriages are different than yours aren't married?

I find that when I cook for my wife that I get more not less sex

Cooking dinner, very good. Cleaning up after, even better. Good dinner conversation, even more better. If he does the shopping for the dinner, better and better. There's no way this would be a turn off for a woman. Unless she likes being mommy day in and day out. Some people need those traditional roles to define themselves.

Last edited:
I find that when I cook for my wife that I get more not less sex

Cooking dinner, very good. Cleaning up after, even better. Good dinner conversation, even more better. If he does the shopping for the dinner, better and better. There's no way this would be a turn off for a woman. Unless she likes being mommy day in and day out. Some people need those traditional roles to define themselves.

I usually shop, she usually cooks (I'm not very good), cleaning is usually both of us.

Forum List

Back