I Am Offended By Notre Dame's Name

Where do i say "all indians" have to be against it? I majority would make me take interest, a large majority may make me agree with them, but all the numbers point to this not being a big deal, except in the minds of the progressive racial apologists and the low end of the butthurt sensitivity scale. Consequently I would not really care if you named a team the honkeys, however doing it would be a blantant typical progressive move to "Show people" how wrong they are. The concept of being intentionally offensive to prove a stupid point is more annoying than the actual name.

Also, to really go after me the team would have to be named the dagos, micks, guinea's wops, paddies, or something along that line.

This is an issue mostly to the progressive guilty chattering class, nothing more.

Well since you only find things offensive offensive according to the number of people who are offended my only advice is to think for yourself

The whole point is if tons of people are offended by it, then maybe someone should listen. If its only a few people are offended then its on the offended people to man up a bit, and not on the concept that is offensive. Otherwise see my other post and change your user name.

How many people are offended shouldn't define what you find offensive or not. Either it is or it isn't.

Well since you only find things offensive offensive according to the number of people who are offended my only advice is to think for yourself

The whole point is if tons of people are offended by it, then maybe someone should listen. If its only a few people are offended then its on the offended people to man up a bit, and not on the concept that is offensive. Otherwise see my other post and change your user name.

How many people are offended shouldn't define what you find offensive or not. Either it is or it isn't.

Mirror. As has been accurately pointed out, most of the people offended are white liberals.

What it defines is if we do something about it. You still have not changed your screen name I see, even though I am offended by it.

A few people being offended is no reason to change the name. A lot of people being offended by it might be.

In this case the offended people need to nut up a bit.

But okay, let's go with the theory that 'redskin' has indeed been a racial slur in the past and that is the catalyst for resentment of the name now.

But how many of you think 'dirty savage thieving Indians' or think of any people in any inferior way when you hear the term "Washington Redskins"? What better way to combat racism than to take away the negative power of certain words by associating them with something powerful, respectable, something to be cheered and held up in trumph?

Conversely when I hear the term "Indian", outside of a sports context, I think of individual people--the Apaches or Hopi or Navajo or Pueblo peoples that we run into every day here. People with a rich cultural heritage, wonderful traditions, and who enrich our lives. Not people with an agenda but people with class, charisma, and a reason to be proud of who they are.

When I hear the term Native American I confess that I think of whiny, indignant, politically motivated people who use victimization to deliberately milk the system and who have an agenda to force the rest of us to do their bidding.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaz

What it defines is if we do something about it. You still have not changed your screen name I see, even though I am offended by it.

A few people being offended is no reason to change the name. A lot of people being offended by it might be.

This is about racism you not liking my name is something for the HR dept. You can file a complaint there and since I'm the CEO and the HR dept your request is denied.

I see you've added some more wiggle room. A small # of ppl isn't reason to change it and now you say "A lot of people being offended by it might be."

So now even a large # of people isn't enough. You'll need another ladder if you're going to keep raising the bar like that. That's the 3rd or 4th revision and I'm starting to believe you don't have anything or you woulda decided on one at least

This is about racism you not liking my name is something for the HR dept. You can file a complaint there and since I'm the CEO and the HR dept your request is denied.

I see you've added some more wiggle room. A small # of ppl isn't reason to change it and now you say "A lot of people being offended by it might be."

So now even a large # of people isn't enough. You'll need another ladder if you're going to keep raising the bar like that. That's the 3rd or 4th revision and I'm starting to believe you don't have anything or you woulda decided on one at least

So all being offended is equal, but some being offended is more equal than others?

Large groups of people can also be stupid and be offended by something that isnt offensive, its just less likely due to the law of averages.

Man, the butthurt really is strong with you today. I suggest a midol. Offended by that?

You seriously are not a bright person. Everything you just said supported marty's point.

You seriously are not a bright person. Everything you just said supported marty's point.

You can't fix stupid.

So all being offended is equal, but some being offended is more equal than others?

Large groups of people can also be stupid and be offended by something that isnt offensive, its just less likely due to the law of averages.

Man, the butthurt really is strong with you today. I suggest a midol. Offended by that?

It would hurt to shove a Midol up his butt! But, I'm all for it.

WRlogo.jpg

President Obama seems think that one of the more important issues out there is the name of the NFL team in Washington D.C. He seems to think that we should listen to a small percentage of people who are offended by the Redskin name instead of the majority who don't even see the racism in it. Obama open to name change for Washington Redskins | Fox News

Well, if that's the way they want to be then I am offended when Notre Dame calls themselves the Fighting Irish. That's racist. It assumes that all Irish are prone to violence. Seems whenever one atheist is offended by some religious artifact or one small group is offended about a teams name it shouldn't just be liberal's political action committees that get their way. Everyone should get their way.

If you are offended by 'The fighting Irish' then by all means lead the charge to change it. It's your God-given right to petition. Good luck with that. :lol:

Worse! "Notre Dame" means "Our Lady", a religious reference in a land where religion must respect the sensitivities of Muslims. That university name is offensive in the extreme so the doors must be closed; the staff dismissed, and the buildings converted to peaceful use.

This whole situation is another example of how our current President has absolutely no interest in preserving certain traditions that are, by no means, hurtful to people.

If people are hurt by things like this, maybe they should grow some balls.

As a Jew? I would get a kick out of a team from NJ being called "The Hackensack Heebs"

This whole situation is another example of how our current President has absolutely no interest in preserving certain traditions that are, by no means, hurtful to people.

As a Jew? I would get a kick out of a team from NJ being called "The Hackensack Heebs"

Given the crappy job Obama has done, it's pretty clear why he'd try to get people mad at someone else

Can you find a single team of a major sport named after something that is supposed to project weakness, or hatred of its own team?

The Texans. :eusa_whistle:

Anybody from the Land of The Inbred, where they put French Fries on their Salads, drink Arn City Beer and say "Yuins" (hence the nickname 'yinzers') shouldn't pick on anybody....

Especially when they have a Mascot like this one

photo.jpg

:)

Pittsburgh was a great city to grow up in.

You can't fix stupid.

In all the years I practiced, I often commented, 'they don't make a pill that will cure stupid.' That is true. You can fix sick. You can fix ignorant. But you can't fix stupid.

Given the crappy job Obama has done, it's pretty clear why he'd try to get people mad at someone else

Eric Berne's 'Let's you and him fight' game.

Forum List

Back