I can prove a God in some form exists using physics.

Gawd works in mysterious ways.

aka magic.

The coolest thing about the bible and the story of Genesis (the account of how everything was created, or more specifically "formed") is that the six days of creation were not 24 hour days, like some people would like to assume they were.

There was no magic wand involved, I can assure you.

Religion is a form of superstition, science isn't. There will be no convergence.

I don't know, D. I usually agree with you, but I think if you read A Brief History of Time by Hawkings, it is easy to see where the Big Bang and the bible can converge if one gets rid of the literal fundamentalist view of the bible.

I just thing the bible is a simplification geared to the understanding of the average person thousands of years ago.

if one gets rid of the literal fundamentalist view of the bible.
There is the rub.

Onward Christian soldiers marching as to war....

Religion is a form of superstition, science isn't. There will be no convergence.

I don't know, D. I usually agree with you, but I think if you read A Brief History of Time by Hawkings, it is easy to see where the Big Bang and the bible can converge if one gets rid of the literal fundamentalist view of the bible.

I just thing the bible is a simplification geared to the understanding of the average person thousands of years ago.

if one gets rid of the literal fundamentalist view of the bible.
There is the rub.

Onward Christian soldiers marching as to war....

you do know there are more religions than christianity, right?

and even within christianity, there are varying degrees to which the bible is viewed literally or figuratively, right?

again, you're denying to others what you would demand for yourself.... IMHO.

aka magic.

The coolest thing about the bible and the story of Genesis (the account of how everything was created, or more specifically "formed") is that the six days of creation were not 24 hour days, like some people would like to assume they were.

Ahh yes a late revision to christianity.

I was taught that they were days. And this was by authorized representatives of God.
Of god were to exist I do not think he would change to suit the whims of mankind.

I was taught that they were days. And this was by authorized representatives of God.
Of god were to exist I do not think he would change to suit the whims of mankind.

ummmm...nice try, except Genesis is from the jewish bible...and jews don't believe in a fundie reading.

aka magic.

I've heard that argument before but it still doesn't make sense. Why call it a DAY as a unit of measure if it doesn't conform to our concept of a 24 hour period. In fact, why count 6 of these arbitrary time frames at all if we assume that they do not conform to our standard measure of a day? Why not 3? Why no 345? Especially given the emphasis on the 7th day of rest.

while I agree that the concept of this creation time frame doesn't require merely 24 hours I think it's pretty silly to believe that the assumption of longer, undefined "days" adds any validity to an otherwise asinine god story. The coolest thing about the genesis version of creation is that it illustrates how human beings try so hard to define that which is unknowable and crafts a religion around it. Which is, I daresay, a human standard across the cultural spectrum.

ummmm...nice try, except Genesis is from the jewish bible...and jews don't believe in a fundie reading.

le facepalm

Jewish bible? Huh it was taught to me as much as the new testament.
It is in there where Christians quote gay being a sin, etc...

Personally I think Christians would have been better off had Constantine dropped the old testament from the Christian Cannon.

I can prove there is a Higher Power or a God in some form by using physics.

I can prove the existence of God in some form just by using the right definition.

Definition - God is the ultimately unknowable causality behind existence.
"cogito ergo sum"
and we are done, God, as defined, exists. At least until we know the causality.

Jewish bible? Huh it was taught to me as much as the new testament.
It is in there where Christians quote gay being a sin, etc...

Personally I think Christians would have been better off had Constantine dropped the old testament from the Christian Cannon.

i didn't say you weren't taught it... i said it was from the jewish bible. I've always wondered how suddenly the entire meaning of a book that was already almost 4,000 years old could be changed by a new relgious belief.

hence... i don't know how one would take the story of genesis and attribute to it a literal reading it was never intended to have.

and without judiasm, there wouldn't have been a jesus since he was a rabbi.

... just sayin'.

One would have to wonder how a day would have needed to be a 24 hour perior when there was no sun, moon, stars, or any evidence of the earth rotating for several days.

If you think that rdean, no wonder you arent religious. It doesnt start with the answers. Its there to teach you how to get more answers. Atleast if its doing it right. There are some people who refuse to look for answers just as some so called scientists do. Take the global warming hoax. The scientists started with the answers they just needed to manipulate the data to support it.

Religion is about the investigation into the spiritual world.

It's not an issue of being religious or not, it's an issue of trying to cram the supernatural into a man made venture, the scientific method, that is intentionally moot on the existence of such a being.

Anybody who claims that they can prove or disprove the existence of God with science has automatically stepped outside of the realm of science.

Kudos to the OP for making a point that no one has ever thought to make before.

(That last line was sarcasm).

Last edited:
Magic? really? Are you saying that our physical bodies arent made from the elements of the earth? I've seen a demonstration of what a combination of the elements that goes into our bodies looks like without water in a jar. It looks like a jar of dirt. Nothing magic there. Our bodies are litterally made from the dust of the earth.

All organic substances, to include plastics, are made of carbon. Lots and lots of carbon.

Why carbon? Because it can bind four ways without steric hinderence.

Pointing out that we are made up of the same building block as dirt isn't really that awe-inspiring when you consider everything else is too.

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

Literally.

Last edited:

aka magic.

That depends if you want to read it literally or not.

If you accept virtually any aspect of geology or biology, you have to make an apologist argument.

Of course, prior to figuring out that the world was older than 6000 years old, people did read that literally.

We shift our interpretation of the bible to suit the realities we discover. Not the other way around.

Forum List

Back