...I just realized Lincoln was the Hitler of the 19th century.

His legacy will not be diminished, KK.

A legacy of racism, segregation, and arguing aginst deporting an entire race simply because the negroe was better off as slaves?

They were not better off as slaves, and all of the white race bears the guilt for racism, segregation, and colonization. You are foolish if you want AL to have acted as Robert F. Kennedy were president in 1860. So. . .

(1) get a grip on reality, and

(2) research and tell us where Lincoln stood on the African American, civil rights, and voting the day before he was shot.

Lincoln forced them to start the war, because he wanted the war.
How could Lincoln make the South fire upon Federal ships in January 1861 Kevin?

I'm obviously referring to the April Ft. Sumter incident, where Lincoln belligerently tried to resupply knowing full well the south would attack giving him the excuse he needed to go to war.
I don't care if you're referring to that.

I AM referring to the FIRST SHOTS FIRED. In January. Before Lincoln was even President.

Did you even know of this incident before I brought it up?

Four million men, women and children in bondage - freed - is not fiction KK.

K.

And how many people had to die for that to allegedly happen? And I say allegedly because, again, I don't believe for a second the war was fought to free these people. Lincoln's own words make that clear. Did the war speed up the process by which they were freed? Yes, and that's certainly a good thing. But why were we the only nation that allegedly had to fight a war to accomplish this? Every other civilized country freed their slaves peacefully.
Because the South loved their slaves. Simple.

They would not give them up without a fight. Lazy Southerners needed someone to do their work for them and make them feel superior.

Lots of them still feel this way.

So American slaveowners were different from slaveowners in every other civilized country? Those slaveowners weren't lazy, didn't want someone to do their work for them, or make them feel superior? This was purely an American phenomenon?

How could Lincoln make the South fire upon Federal ships in January 1861 Kevin?

I'm obviously referring to the April Ft. Sumter incident, where Lincoln belligerently tried to resupply knowing full well the south would attack giving him the excuse he needed to go to war.
I don't care if you're referring to that.

I AM referring to the FIRST SHOTS FIRED. In January. Before Lincoln was even President.

Did you even know of this incident before I brought it up?

Ok, well I don't care what you're referring to.

So there.

KevinKennedy believes in a false history.

When we were going through this late last summer here on the thread (give Kevin credit for persistence if not for error), I sent his arguments (not his name, though) to a friend who teaches history. He gladly used KK's arguments between Lincoln's hammer and the anvil of the Civil War. My friend said the students ate it up and wrote very nuanced, sophisticated papers about Lincoln and race and his growing evolution on that matter over the last ten years of his life.

When we were going through this late last summer here on the thread (give Kevin credit for persistence if not for error), I sent his arguments (not his name, though) to a friend who teaches history. He gladly used KK's arguments between Lincoln's hammer and the anvil of the Civil War. My friend said the students ate it up and wrote very nuanced, sophisticated papers about Lincoln and race and his growing evolution on that matter over the last ten years of his life.

"Kennedy" is not my real last name, so it doesn't matter if you give my name out.

I'm not surprised that these students didn't accept my arguments regarding Lincoln, providing this story is true. I've found that most students, and people in general, will believe the version of history they learned in middle school no matter what evidence is provided against it.

KevinKennedy, I would never reveal anyone's identify (real or pseudonym) at all. Those who try to do that here are scumbags, pure and simple, folks who spew vile and bile.

You are one of the most pleasant individuals here if the most persistent in your error.

Your comments and questions always make me think, and through them, I have come to a greater, deeper, and more wonderful appreciation of Abraham Lincoln.

I thank you for your role in that.

"Kennedy" is not my real last name, so it doesn't matter if you give my name out.

I'm not surprised that these students didn't accept my arguments regarding Lincoln, providing this story is true. I've found that most students, and people in general, will believe the version of history they learned in middle school no matter what evidence is provided against it.
I learned very little about the history of the civil war in school.

Most of my knowledge comes from touching and transcribing thousands of pieces of original Civil War history - letters, diaries, journals and documents, some of which are in museums now.

Also from reading the original source pamphlets, magazines, newspapers and books, written AT THE TIME OF THE WAR.

Last edited:
KevinKennedy, I would never reveal anyone's identify (real or pseudonym) at all. Those who try to do that here are scumbags, pure and simple, folks who spew vile and bile.

You are one of the most pleasant individuals here if the most persistent in your error.

Your comments and questions always make me think, and through them, I have come to a greater, deeper, and more wonderful appreciation of Abraham Lincoln.

I thank you for your role in that.
I agree. Kevin, though frightfully wrong in his confederate-leaning views of the war, is for the most part, civil and respectful.

I can fully appreciate his passion, and do admire his courteousness in debate.

You are misdefining issues as causes; they are two different things. Preserving the Union was the immediate issue of the war. Slavery was the primary cause of the war.

Ask paper view for copies of all of the documentation she has posted here and in other threads why the southerners of the time believed slavery to be the primary cause of the war. Good reading!

I am not, she is the one using that language. I am asking her to explain why if, as she insists, that slavery is the primary cause of the war, did the North not free slaves in their states. Why did slave owners fight to free slaves? Why did people who opposed slavery fight to keep them?

Any historian will tell you that the issues, or causes, of the Civil War were complex. The North was so powerful politically that they could ignore the concerns of the minority of the south, and enact laws and policies without regard to the opinions of those affected by them. (Does this sound familiar to anyone?) This marginalization of the agrarian south by the industrial north was the actual cause of the civil war, regardless of what people then believed.

OOh. Have I mentioned yet how stoooooopid the title of this thread is?

charters_doc_image_10.2.1.jpg

The Great Emancipator. He Rests at Peace.

I have to agree about the title of the thread.

You are misdefining issues as causes; they are two different things. Preserving the Union was the immediate issue of the war. Slavery was the primary cause of the war.

Ask paper view for copies of all of the documentation she has posted here and in other threads why the southerners of the time believed slavery to be the primary cause of the war. Good reading!

I am not, she is the one using that language. I am asking her to explain why if, as she insists, that slavery is the primary cause of the war, did the North not free slaves in their states. Why did slave owners fight to free slaves? Why did people who opposed slavery fight to keep them?

Any historian will tell you that the issues, or causes, of the Civil War were complex. The North was so powerful politically that they could ignore the concerns of the minority of the south, and enact laws and policies without regard to the opinions of those affected by them. (Does this sound familiar to anyone?) This marginalization of the agrarian south by the industrial north was the actual cause of the civil war, regardless of what people then believed.

Your answer is in your first paragraph.

Every secondary cause of the war was subsumed in slavery. That is why a small minority of the North had not freed its slaves by 1861, and I am pretty sure that other than Delaware, states like Maryland and Kentucky and Missouri and territories like the Indian nations or Utah territory had more in common with states' rights activists in the South.

There was a just war to be fought, but we did not fight it. We fought our own war for our own reasons and what was just had nothing to do with it. That the enemy happened to be the same merely provided an opportunity for great propaganda.

And the ad men wrote the history texts. The spoils of war, to the victors goes the right to write history.

In this case, the history has been competently written. The immediate issue was unionism, the primary cause was slavery, and the South was morally wrong. Check the motives of those who argue otherwise.

Every secondary cause of the war was subsumed in slavery. That is why a small minority of the North had not freed its slaves by 1861, and I am pretty sure that other than Delaware, states like Maryland and Kentucky and Missouri and territories like the Indian nations or Utah territory had more in common with states' rights activists in the South.

This from a guy who believes the Constitution says something it does not, despite the fact that the Supreme Court has said his interpretation is wrong. Forgive me if I prefer to ask for clarification from someone who can at least get facts straight, and does not feel a need to distort them.

In this case, the history has been competently written. The immediate issue was unionism, the primary cause was slavery, and the South was morally wrong. Check the motives of those who argue otherwise.

They were morally wrong?

Was Sherman morally right when he marched through the south, ordering his men to commit war crimes that he had previously had men hung for? Moral agents do not commit immoral acts in defense of morality. Perhaps you should check the morality of the people you now claim were the moral ones.

This from a guy who believes the Constitution says something it does not, despite the fact that the Supreme Court has said his interpretation is wrong. Forgive me if I prefer to ask for clarification from someone who can at least get facts straight, and does not feel a need to distort them.

Son, SCOTUS does not disagree with me (you do), and what SCOTUS has to say has nothing to do with the causes of the Civil War.

Now you can debate on the issues and leave personality out of it, or you will continue to fail.

When you talk about "The North" in regards to a slavery presence, you refer generally to the border states. Where I'm from, "The North" is the Northeastern US. We abolished slavery long before the Civil War, most states in the 18th Century.

I'm from New England. Semantically, I understand why the term is used in reference to the Civil War, but to me, I have a hard time calling Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Delaware, and West Virginia "the North" - but I understand why. And if you understood the "strategery" (thank you GW) of war, you would understand the necessity of maintaining the buffer of these states. Missouri & Kentucky had a hell of a shit storm as well maintaining their "northern" status.

In regards to your second paragraph, it was only after 60 some odd years of our nation's founding, the South began to lose power. They had it - in Congress, and in the Presidency, for the most part for fully the entire first quadrant of this country.

Hell, they had it so powerfully, they were even able to implement a gag-rule in congress to prohibit even the MENTION of slavery. How about that?

A rule that forbade a country founded on Free Speech, from even discussing a topic in the lawmakers den. Pretty nifty, eh?

It was only when the South lost their grip of powerful Rule, it was then, and only then - they freaked.

Forum List

Back