🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

“I may not agree with what you say, but I’ll defend to my dying day your right to say it”

And what was that?

I'm familiar with his tendencies toward Anglophilia - which as a second generation Brit I am quite comfortable with - but his musings on free speech escape me.

He was a very intelligent man!

His quotes are well known worldwide.

Voltaire
Francois Marie Arouet, a.k.a. Voltaire, had an estimated IQ range from 190 to 200. Born in 1694, he was one of France’s greatest writers and philosophers, known for his satire and criticism of his country’s elite noblemen.

He was a very intelligent man!

His quotes are well known worldwide.

Voltaire
Francois Marie Arouet, a.k.a. Voltaire, had an estimated IQ range from 190 to 200. Born in 1694, he was one of France’s greatest writers and philosophers, known for his satire and criticism of his country’s elite noblemen.

Yes, thank you.

But what did he say that specifically made you cite him on this particular thread?

Yes, thank you.

But what did he say that specifically made you cite him on this particular thread?

When Voltaire said this...

6b628d55253342d3002f71425397eb2591ce04d34f3f1ffa764a4c23b0328bda_1.jpg

When have we recently heard anyone in power or in media and among the elite say those words? Rather a quaint idea in the current environment. It even sounds a bit subversive in an era of visceral hatred for free speech. We now have government, media, and tech colluding to silence free speech. How long before hate speech and thought crimes will result in long prison sentences? Will the American people continue allowing the destruction of their right to free speech?
Well, just to bring you back to a time when it was like that in America..

Bing and The Andrews sisters may have been wrong about the "will remain" part. :(

That IS how it's always been, but I'm skeptical if it will remain. Seems I see it eroding all the time.

Free Speech does not cover criminal speech to plot and carry out crimes.

If Muggsy ordered Floppsy to shoot gipper and The Duke, has Muggsy not committed a crime?

When have we recently heard anyone in power or in media and among the elite say those words? Rather a quaint idea in the current environment. It even sounds a bit subversive in an era of visceral hatred for free speech. We now have government, media, and tech colluding to silence free speech. How long before hate speech and thought crimes will result in long prison sentences? Will the American people continue allowing the destruction of their right to free speech?
I distinctly remember the last time I heard that wonderful phrase. I was having a heated discussion about Bill Clinton with a devoted Democrat. That was his last statement before we had to get back to work. Soooo 30 years ago?

The Left are not my "allies".

I used to be a "liberal" Democrat.

Then that Party locked me down, told me I had to get an experimental vaccine, let riots and pandemonium consume our once great cities, all while Cosplaying about how the Orange President was supposedly some sort of Russian spy as they engaged in a censorship campaign that would make Chairman Mao blush.

There is nothing "Liberal" about any of that.

But there is plenty of LEFTIST. Look to the Chinese Color revolution that amply compares to our modern Democrat Party, and tell me there is anything "Liberal" about any of it.

I salute you for having integrity and good intentions.

But:

On this particular subject, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

And, sadly, it seems to define you entire political ethos.

iu
You speak of modern liberals, not leftists.

And this error could cost you everything you claim to hold dear politically.

You can only alienate your allies by calling them your enemies so many times before your deliberate failure to grasp reality may actually become reality.

But thank you for your positive comments. :)

You can only alienate your allies by calling them your enemies so many times before your deliberate failure to grasp reality may actually become reality.

Are you threatening me?

Newsflash: So now the Left are all into "personal responsibility".

Holy shit!

That's the most braindead post this evening.

Hilarious.

Not even a photo finish.
Liberal, not left.

There are two leftist posters on this forum, and he is neither.

Bubba, you have that liberal/leftist thing all kinds of twistified up in your head.

I know one thing, you ain't got it right. :nono:

Forum List

Back