🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

I met the happiest guy in Arizona today.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I was sitting on a bench today cleaning my golf clubs on the range when an old Black man walked up to me. He said "Looks like I'm just in time" as he held out his club. I said "Sure, you don't want to use that range bucket, no telling what's swimming around in that water". He laughed and said "Ah no I'm just joking with you" and sat down and started chatting about his new clubs. Turns out he is 80 although he looked 65. We talked about how drivers have changed from the older style persimmon woods from the 70s we used to play, the old St Andrews putters, how crazy hard golf is, our wives, kids and careers.

He is retired Air Force just like my Dad was, and lost two wives to Cancer and married for a third time at age 75. He said his first two wives were good women but the third one is the light of his life. "Met her an aqua yoga class" he said laughing. His oldest son is a retired Navy Seal who is kind of struggling with injuries. "But" he said "He's got his pension, a good job and doing OK so I don't worry about him too much". He kept saying "I don't want to keep you now" and I kept saying you aren't. He was the nicest guy and just happy to be alive and chatting with some stranger.

Yes, this post does not have a point other than sometimes it's cool to talk with someone you don't know.

I've met some of the most interesting people on golf courses.

Great story!
1326398264_golf_fail.gif

I was sitting on a bench today cleaning my golf clubs on the range when an old Black man walked up to me. He said "Looks like I'm just in time" as he held out his club. I said "Sure, you don't want to use that range bucket, no telling what's swimming around in that water". He laughed and said "Ah no I'm just joking with you" and sat down and started chatting about his new clubs. Turns out he is 80 although he looked 65. We talked about how drivers have changed from the older style persimmon woods from the 70s we used to play, the old St Andrews putters, how crazy hard golf is, our wives, kids and careers.

He is retired Air Force just like my Dad was, and lost two wives to Cancer and married for a third time at age 75. He said his first two wives were good women but the third one is the light of his life. "Met her an aqua yoga class" he said laughing. His oldest son is a retired Navy Seal who is kind of struggling with injuries. "But" he said "He's got his pension, a good job and doing OK so I don't worry about him too much". He kept saying "I don't want to keep you now" and I kept saying you aren't. He was the nicest guy and just happy to be alive and chatting with some stranger.

Yes, this post does not have a point other than sometimes it's cool to talk with someone you don't know.

Yes it is. I have traveled a lot and if you stay in hostels you meet a lot of people. However as I get older, and as work becomes more of a pain in the ass, I get less inclined to talk until I'm rested, which never happened.

Yes it is. I have traveled a lot and if you stay in hostels you meet a lot of people. However as I get older, and as work becomes more of a pain in the ass, I get less inclined to talk until I'm rested, which never happened.
That doesn't sound good. Try to get more rest and engage more. Now that I'm retired I think of the things that stressed me out at work and think "Wow that really wasn't important at all".

That doesn't sound good. Try to get more rest and engage more. Now that I'm retired I think of the things that stressed me out at work and think "Wow that really wasn't important at all".

Well, my job actually isn't that bad. But I don't get much holiday and the job builds up stress and tiredness over a period of time. So I had a holiday in February, right now I'm more or less okay, by June I'll be tired, holiday starts end of July with a really busy period just before going on holiday.

But I don't work so many hours a week. Less than 40 easily. So I get free time, but I need it due to the intensity of my job.

Wtf bro

What was a black guy doing on the golf course? :eek:
Same as the rest of us, trying to make sense of it all. Whether a scratch golfer or a duffer or anything in between, golfers belong to a universal brother/sisterhood of suffering self-torturers that binds us all as one and is the reason the 19th Hole beckons us one and all.

Forum List

Back