I see no need to own a cast iron pan

Your anecdote doesn't make a cast iron pan indispensable to anyone, since as you pointed out restaurants can turn out great food without them.
I don't recall anyone here arguing that cast iron pans are indispensable in the first place.

Of course when a professional cook is cooking at work their primary motivation is to maximise profit, which sometimes means sacrificing quality in favor of quantity.

But when they cook at home for their own family, quality may take precedence over quantity.

I don't recall anyone here arguing that cast iron pans are indispensable in the first place.

Of course when a professional cook is cooking at work their primary motivation is to maximise profit, which sometimes means sacrificing quality in favor of quantity.

But when they cook at home for their own family, quality may take precedence over quantity.
This is just a lot of assumptions chasing a conclusion. We could also propose that the quality of the food in a high end restaurant can be judged by critics that can make or break their business and reputation, many chefs spend entire careers chasing that James Beard award or Mich star. When at home their critics are themselves or their families, and the pressure to turn out flawless product isn't there.

Regarding indispensable, here is the village idiot who is also teaching us that cast iron cooks evenly without hot spots:
Actually, to chefs, cast iron is the indispensable tool for many jobs because unlike other skillets,. the higher the heat the better it cooks and it cooks evenly without hot spots. It is also very low maintenance.

This is just a lot of assumptions chasing a conclusion. We could also propose that the quality of the food in a high end restaurant can be judged by critics that can make or break their business and reputation, many chefs spend entire careers chasing that James Beard award or Mich star. When at home their critics are themselves or their families, and the pressure to turn out flawless product isn't there.

Regarding indispensable, here is the village idiot who is also teaching us that cast iron cooks evenly without hot spots:
I assure you that I am chasing no conclusions. I have no qualms against my beloved stainless steel kitchen and lab gear.

Dude, toobfreak thinks he understands tube amps, He doesn't.

Dude...I've shown you evidence that cast iron cooks even and you've ignored my posts.
Why do you keep ignoring my posts that prove you wrong?
This is my last attempt to let you prove me wrong after that you go on ignore.

"Hot spots" or not, my cast iron skillet cooks very evenly.

Your permanent state.

Nobody gives a fuck.

Out of which end?

If it did, moron, they wouldn't need to clad layers of copper and/or aluminum to it. The SS is for strength and for your cooking surface, nitwit.
The SS skillets I have have a huge thick plate of 'mystery metal' added to the bottom so you can 'evenly' burn all your food to a crisp. :auiqs.jpg:

here is the village idiot

BlueHand.jpg
NUFF SAID

My iron skillet doesn't have hot spots, it cooks evenly.
The SS skillets I have have a huge thick glob of mystery metal added on bottom so you can 'evenly' burn all your food to a crisp.

The idiot is trying to slant his defense of his skillets by arguing that if you put an iron skillet on a burner, at first it will heat over the flame and be uneven. Of course, only an idiot like him would cook like that, whereas if you use an iron skillet properly or professionally, once the skillet has time to heat properly, not only will it be evenly heated but it will maintain that heat better than anything else despite burner variation or food being added, which is why good ranges have heavy cast iron tops and gratings over their burners.

The idiot is trying to slant his defense of his skillets by arguing that if you put an iron skillet on a burner, at first it will heat over the flame and be uneven. Of course, only an idiot like him would cook like that, whereas if you use an iron skillet properly or professionally, once the skillet has time to heat properly, not only will it be evenly heated but it will maintain that heat better than anything else despite burner variation or food being added, which is why good ranges have heavy cast iron tops and gratings over their burners.
Yeah, I bet that person puts a cold pan on a cold burner, splashes cold oil in puts the food in THEN turns on the heat!!! Then says "Gee it's cooking unevenly".....LOL My wife used to do that, burnt or undercooked everthing. I no longer let her cook. LOL

Yeah, I bet that person puts a cold pan on a cold burner, splashes cold oil in puts the food in THEN turns on the heat!!! Then says "Gee it's cooking unevenly".....LOL My wife used to do that, burnt or undercooked everthing. I no longer let her cook. LOL

I doubt he's ever even owned or used an iron skillet--- a Youtube video told him not to buy one, they cook uneven. Then he spent a fortune on some exotic SS cookset that he now has to justify by telling himself that iron is no good.

Truth be told, a good cook should have a few cast iron skillets, a few SS, and a few non-stick. They all have their uses.

A large steel Wok heats unevenly. The bottom is used for cooking and the sides are used for keeping other ingredients hot....all get cooked 'evenly' at the same time because of that.

A large steel Wok heats unevenly. The bottom is used for cooking and the sides are used for keeping other ingredients hot....all get cooked 'evenly' at the same time because of that.
A SS pan can burn everything 'evenly.'

A SS pan can burn everything 'evenly.'

I've seen people burn stuff so bad in stainless that it was impossible to get clean and they had to throw the whole thing away. Stainless is the hardest to use or the easiest to screw up unless you know how to cook with them, but given their proper use, are just fantastic to cook with.

I've seen people burn stuff so bad in stainless that it was impossible to get clean and they had to throw the whole thing away. Stainless is the hardest to use or the easiest to screw up unless you know how to cook with them, but given their proper use, are just fantastic to cook with.
I have a couple of stainless. Every so often I spray then all over with oven cleaner. Clean as new.

Forum List

Back