I see no need to own a cast iron pan

More info:

Overview: Cast Iron vs. Stainless Steel’s Benefits and Disadvantages

"Pan temperatures stay more consistent in cast iron, so food cooks more evenly."

Last edited:
Cast Iron Vs. Stainless Steel – Which Is Better?

There's a common misconception about cast iron's heat distribution and evenness of heating. Many people believe that the material heats extremely evenly, but in fact, it produces specific hot spots straight over the burners. However, because of the way it retains heat, once the pan has fully warmed up, it spreads the heat evenly.

Read More: Cast Iron Vs. Stainless Steel – Which Is Better? - Mashed

Your example shows 140 degrees F cooler at the edges of a cast iron pan. That may be technically true however, that is really not much of a heat difference when cooking especially when one uses a cooking medium like oil. To me, the heat retention makes it easier to control the cooking especially when frying. The internal temperature of what you are cooking is most important, IMO.
Correct, fat will even it out some especially if shallow frying. However for something like searing several pieces of chicken the differences will be obvious, so with cast iron it would be better to preheat the pan in the oven to compensate for the way cast iron heats so unevenly.

Agreed, heat retention with cast iron will be better with frying since the thermal mass of the pan will help the oil stay at a high enough temperature after adding food.

It'll heat evenly given time to reach the proper temp.
I do a lot of Dutch oven cooking when we camp and in the backyard.
It does things you cant do with with a stainless pan.
I posted a picture of a cast iron pan that had sat on a burner for 30 minutes and still had a large difference from center to edge of pan. The reason is that cast iron doesn't conduct heat well.

You're absolutely right, I wouldn't use stainless steel over a backyard campfire. We have a couple enameled outdoor camping pans we use when camping, and they occasionally get double duty inside the house for big enough meals.

In other words, you have no answer for how grilled food on a charcoal spit can be so good if your theory of uneven cast iron heat is actually true. Grilled food actually DEPENDS on the unevenness of the heat, a dynamic used as an asset to cooking by good cooks, not panned like you try to do.
In other words, you don't understand the difference between radiant and conductive heat. You're definitely one of those people who the more they talk the more everyone around them understands how incredibly stupid they are.

HEY ASSHOLE, I just explained all that a few posts above. You are such a fucking dimwit, you don't even read nor realize what the other people are posting here.
If you understood it you wouldn't have asked such a stupid question regarding grills. Jesus, I'm surprised you can chew food without instructions.

Which it does.
No, cast iron doesn't heat evenly. I've probably posted dozens of sources proving this, everything from chefs to science sources. You're just kicked and screamed that everything presented to you is fake, or written by someone selling stainless steel. Stupid people reject new information and remain stupid.

Your pride won't let you admit you were wrong, it is amusing to watch.

Not if it was cooked by you. Moron, now you are going back repeating old points already disproven, explained or conceded! You are are a FUCKING A-HOLE.
Your repeated attempts to spin this into an issue of how I cook are just more fail, it is about physics not cooking technique. Cast iron is a poor conductor of heat, and will heat a pan uneveny.

So, you are in effect admitting that cast iron gives you another degree of control in your cooking that steel and aluminum don't have.
Uneven heating is not a level of control. Responsive materials like copper where you can change the temp quickly is another degree of control.

Congrats on the progress though, when you get the Village Idiot to start trying to spin the flaws of something into an advantage, they are at least admitting the flaws.

Run along troll. I haven't spent the better part of a day obsessing over how someone else cooks.
Troll = term being used by people who can't handle learning that their understanding of cookware and cooking materials was wrong.

It is my thread, if you don't want to participate, see ya. You weren't contributing anything useful anyway.

Moron, I was talking about the comparison between heat capacity of iron to stainless not aluminum.
This was the dumbest post in this thread so far I think. Obviously stainless steel cookware only has a thin external layer of stainless steel, the aluminum layer inside is where the heat capacity comes into play when comparing it to other materials. Yet here we have The Village Idiot comparing the heat capacity of cast iron to the heat capacity of stainless steel. Derp.

I don't care what you think! I don't follow youtube videos, I listen to the advice of some of the world's greatest chefs like Gordon Ramsey. The guy has won 17 Michelin stars.
This comment is a close second, since toobfreak spends so much time alluding to how those who disagree with him must learn from youtube videos. Is he a personal friend of Gordon Ramsay or is he also learning from videos... of Gordon Ramsay. Derp. Anyone who outright rejects a broad source of information because of the format limits themselves, including our hypocrite Village Idiot. There are same amazing chefs on youtube, including many who understand way more about food science than Gordon Ramsay who has currently whored himself out to gimmicky HexClad claiming it is the greatest cookware ever.

In other words, you don't understand the difference between radiant and conductive heat.
Funny you think that after my in depth EXPLANATION of the differences after me being the one who BROUGHT IT UP, you fucking liar dumbass.

If you understood it you wouldn't have asked such a stupid question regarding grills.
I asked a question about grills? What was that, shithead? I'm the one who brought grills into the conversation you fathead.

ARE YOU ON DRUGS?

No, cast iron doesn't heat evenly.
FOR THE 40th TIME, I mean it heats evenly over TIME, I never said anything about AREA. No skillet is the exact same temp in every part of its construction! NOR DOES IT MATTER. What, stupid, do you think chefs take IR FLIR pictures of their skillets as they use them?

I've probably posted dozens of sources proving this
Web articles don't prove a thing. 99% of what you read on the web is HORSESHIT.

Uneven heating is not a level of control.
No moron, the control is in the person cooking the food by having more choices in how to use the skillet.

Responsive materials like copper where you can change the temp quickly is another degree of control.
Of no value when cooking things where you don't need nor do you want the temperature of the cooking vessel to change rapidly!

when you get the Village Idiot to start trying to spin the flaws of something
There is no flaw to iron skillets, nor stainless, non-stick or aluminum, asshole, only differences, strengths and weaknesses for more cooking choices and control. It is not a matter of either/ or. If you weren't such a total flaming asshole thinking you know it all because you watched a few youtube videos, you'd know and admit that. Do you have any actual training in cooking at all, or did you just read that too in a book?

This was the dumbest post in this thread so far I think. Obviously stainless steel cookware only has a thin external layer of stainless steel, the aluminum layer inside is where the heat capacity comes into play when comparing it to other materials.
WRONG. The aluminum inside adds to the heat CONDUCTION. Thermal heat capacity in iron I was referring to is capacity to RESIST CHANGE. It soaks up the heat and once hot, it tries to STAY HOT, even if removed from the flame.

Yet here we have The Village Idiot comparing the heat capacity of cast iron to the heat capacity of stainless steel. Derp.
Fuck off.

This comment is a close second, since toobfreak spends so much time alluding to how those who disagree with him
Keep it up asshole, I have physics on my side, and you obviously don't, otherwise, you would be proving so instead of your weak attempts at attacking ME. Have you noticed that everyone here agrees with me and NOT ONE PERSON has agreed with you?

Troll = term being used by people who can't handle learning that their understanding of cookware and cooking materials was wrong.

It is my thread, if you don't want to participate, see ya. You weren't contributing anything useful anyway.
Why would I contribute anything useful to a useless troll thread that has long since lost any reason for existence. The propulsion system for a Space X rocket could be explained in less time than you've spent on a fucking pan.

I posted a picture of a cast iron pan that had sat on a burner for 30 minutes and still had a large difference from center to edge of pan. The reason is that cast iron doesn't conduct heat well.

You're absolutely right, I wouldn't use stainless steel over a backyard campfire. We have a couple enameled outdoor camping pans we use when camping, and they occasionally get double duty inside the house for big enough meals.

Sorry,I dont believe you about the whole 30 minutes and it doesnt reach temp.
I use a laser thermo from Thermoworks and it says you're a liar.

Why would I contribute anything useful to a useless troll thread that has long since lost any reason for existence. The propulsion system for a Space X rocket could be explained in less time than you've spent on a fucking pan.
You know you keep on posting right? How stupid can you be, jesus.

Forum List

Back